100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grip Pressure

moochie

Question Grip Pressure

It appears as if I am gripping the club far too tightly. This, essentially, is causing my swing speed to be affected.

I was wondering if anybody within this forum could suggest a means to rectify this? Perhaps even a swing thought regarding pressure would help.

Cheers

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Personally, grip pressure is something I always struggle with. But, this year I tried something that really helped.

At the range, I decided to try to find out how lightly I could hold the club, and still make solid contact with the ball. I teed up the ball and used a 3-iron. Use any club that you normally have a difficult time hitting - 4, 5, or even 6-iron. Teeing it up should increase your confidence in hitting the ball. Then, I tried a couple of full practice swings, holding the club more lightly each time.. barely hard enough to keep it in my hands. Now, make the same full swing at the ball. You'll be very surprised to see that you can hit the ball cleanly, and with power, even though you have a very light grip pressure.

Don't overdo this drill. The more you repeat it, the more likely you will unconsciously tighten your grip pressure, and begin overswinging to enhance your distance. This is not what the key of the drill is.

In order to bring this swing onto the golf course, you will have to make changes to your pre-shot routine, so that you reinforce the use of the new, lighter, grip pressure. If you don't, you will fall into your old habits.

spidey

Marc Peterson
    Grip pressure is defenitely very important in the golf swing. If you hold the club too tight and create tension in your arms and shoulder you will restrict your backswing, and prevent you from releasing your hands losing all kind of distance.

A good swing thought for grip pressure is pretend that your are holding a tube of toothpace without the cap on, and make some golf swing without letting any toothpace come out.
    Try this in your bathroom or somewhere you won't get it all over the wall. Ha ha!

Goog Golfing

marc

hadi hajjar

Lightbulb grip pressure.

dear gentleman.

One concideration you should think about is the size of the grip. if you feel yourself squeezing the club too tight normally thats an idication of a grip being too small thus by squeezing the grip tighter gives you the feeling the club might slip out of your hand.
    by squeezing a club too tight you inhibit your ability to rotate your wrist prior to the impact postion. also if by having a grip that is too small and holding the club with normal grip pressure the opposite may hold true as it would allow the golfer to have overactive hands causing the ball to be pulled left of the target for right hand golfers.
    hope this sheds some light on a club fit aspect and the importance of proper size grips.
    thanks happy golfing.

Hybrid Chris is on a distinguished road Chris's Avatar
    I beleive the late Sam Snead said, hold your grip as if you are holding a baby bird; firm enough that it doesn't fly away, and loose enough so that you don't crush it.

Thread Information