100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Studio Select

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

Studio Select

There's been a lot of hype about the new putters, pretty much since they were announced. Usually I run from hype, but I was curious about these after seeing the tour versions at the PGA show in January. Even though I'm not a huge stainless fan, and even though I'm not really into Newport 2s (I prefer the softer Newport/Scottsdale Anser lines), I figured I'd take the plunge and see what these were all about. I don't think they're due in the shops here until April 1, though they are showing up in retail stores in the States already. And also my mailbox. Have to say, so far I'm impressed.

I went with a red cord grip on a 35" putter with 10g weights, so a 340g headweight, the same setup as my mil-spec gamer. With the 15' snowbanks out there, I've only been able to do some carpet putting, but the feel/sound is very similar to my Oil Can Newport, which is outstanding. Soft without being mushy is the best way I can describe it, it feels very precise. The look of the new NP2 design with the higher toe is great, it sets up really nice behind the ball. And it may be my imagination, but it seems like the length of the blade is shorter too, which I like. The aesthetics of the putter are great, I love the cherry bombs on the face and in the cavity. Not a huge fan of the cover though, it's very shiny.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this thing on the course. It's great on the carpet and has really good potential as a main gamer. Not sure I'm willing to give up on the mil-spec yet, but I really like this putter. Here are some pictures.

Attachment 10853 Attachment 10854 Attachment 10855 Attachment 10856 Attachment 10857

Here are a couple more pictures, of the grip and headcover.

Attachment 10858 Attachment 10859

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Here are a couple more pictures, of the grip and headcover.
    I agree with you on the headcover, that is FUGLY
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    That is really really different.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Looks great.

How about this auction for that very same headcover, $355. So not everyone thinks it is is ugly - although the winning bidder must have been insane.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ScOtTy-CaMeRoN-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    So what do the neighbours think of you when you are outside in freezing temps taking pictures of your putters? ............
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    The snow is so high they can't see him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    So what do the neighbours think of you when you are outside in freezing temps taking pictures of your putters? ............
    I think they think it's a step up from me playing with the Tonka trucks you can see in the background.

7 Wood Itchy is on a distinguished road Itchy's Avatar
    Well I will find out today if I am gettig mine in the next week or so. At least you know I won't be PM'ing you when this one goes up for sale..
    I golf therfore I swear

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Looks great Dave, Send me a PM when it hits the auction block!

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    tres beau Dave.. but i dont think ill own one...

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar
    Very Sweet Dave, can't wait until mine gets here too, only mine will be a Newport at 350g! Did Tom receive his yet?
    Jeff
    If you're not wasted...the day is!

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    Well I will find out today if I am gettig mine in the next week or so. At least you know I won't be PM'ing you when this one goes up for sale..
    That's alright, I've got some other inventory you might like.

Quote Originally Posted by gropper View Post
    Looks great Dave, Send me a PM when it hits the auction block!
    PM not sent! yet

Quote Originally Posted by bobjones59 View Post
    Very Sweet Dave, can't wait until mine gets here too, only mine will be a Newport at 350g! Did Tom receive his yet?
    Jeff
    I don't think it'll knock the 009 out of the bag. lol And Tom can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he cancelled his order.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Yup...there was a mix up in weights...my 2 putters came in at 340 instead of 350 and 35" instead of 34. Picky? I figure that someone was trying to tell me that I didn't need 2 more.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Have any of you compared the Studio Select to the Studio Style? Just curious on what's the difference. The Studio Style has an insert so would it be softer?

Hybrid keble is on a distinguished road
    for me, the studio select is softer.. and heavier..

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Too bad the Studio Select cover is fugly

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I tried the Newport in Golftown last week. I sunk almost everything with it. Bet that wouldn't happen on the course though. It thought it felt really good, better than the Studio stainless. More like my oil can. Nice weight too I was tempted.

I thought I will have problem with distance control becoz it's heavier, after some practice, I'm better on distance control with this putter. the headcover is ugly for me in the beginning, not anymore

I actually like the headcover now. As for the Select vs the Style comparison, I haven't rolled them back to back but I did have a Style for a couple years. I would say the Style was a bit mushier than the Select, softer feeling, but more imprecise. The TeI3 is the softest putter I've ever used, but I still had a great feel with it, I knew where and how far the ball was going. I never had that with the Style. The Select is a bit firmer, but the feel is incredible. Very promising so far (indoors). The only thing I'm not keen on is the NP2 shape, and as a lefty, that's all I get to choose from. If it came as a Newport in lefty, it would be my gamer.

why you like newport better than NP2?

Quote Originally Posted by keble View Post
    why you like newport better than NP2?
    I just prefer the softer look.

7 Iron jayda is on a distinguished road jayda's Avatar
    saw this today at GT, like the new look!

Finally got to take it for a spin on a real course and I have to say, this putter is incredible. I probably was robbed of about 5 putts today because the greens were so bumpy, and I still only had 32. The feel is soooooo good. I'd say it feels as soft as a pro platinum putter, but less trampoline-y. Crisp I guess is a good word. And I can't overstate how precise it feels when you strike the ball. I've played with basically every OTR lefty putter Cameron makes (not counting the belly/broom ones), and this is as good as any of them. Give me a few more times on good greens and I may rate it number 1.

7 Wood Itchy is on a distinguished road Itchy's Avatar
    Finally got to take it for a spin on a real course and I have to say, this putter is incredible. I probably was robbed of about 5 putts today because the greens were so bumpy, and I still only had 32. The feel is soooooo good. I'd say it feels as soft as a pro platinum putter, but less trampoline-y. Crisp I guess is a good word. And I can't overstate how precise it feels when you strike the ball. I've played with basically every OTR lefty putter Cameron makes (not counting the belly/broom ones), and this is as good as any of them. Give me a few more times on good greens and I may rate it number 1.
    Nice to hear, I was hoping to get out to my track Friday, but there is snow in the forecast here for tomorrow, looks like will have to wait a few more days.
    I golf therfore I swear

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    EXACTLY what i said
    my dad's red x burned in the fire at the club and he picked up the midslant
    i gagged when i saw that headcover

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Is the putter as good today as on the original spin? I tried one last week and i thought it was a little more "clunkier" than the other SC blade putters i've tried.
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    Is the putter as good today as on the original spin? I tried one last week and i thought it was a little more "clunkier" than the other SC blade putters i've tried.
    Nope. I gave it about 5 more round and just couldn't dial in my speed with it. No matter how many stainless putters I buy or how many rounds I torture myself with them, I seem to putt much better with carbon steel heads. I will say it was light years better, IMO, than the Studio Stainless line. The feel was much crisper, less dead. I didn't find it clunky at all.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Nope. I gave it about 5 more round and just couldn't dial in my speed with it. No matter how many stainless putters I buy or how many rounds I torture myself with them, I seem to putt much better with carbon steel heads. I will say it was light years better, IMO, than the Studio Stainless line. The feel was much crisper, less dead. I didn't find it clunky at all.
    You are right on carbon steel putters being softer. Most putter manufacturers got around the "hardnest" of SS putters by adding inserts. Unless you hit an SS putter (without an insert) on the sweet spot you will get a little "hardnest" on the stroke..... I think that's ok because it helps with the feedback in terms of where you've hit the ball on the putter.

I just thought that this model from SC was a little more harder feedback wise than others i've hit. My thoughts anyway......
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Thread Information