+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge mrpoker is on a distinguished road

Video of my Swing....

Been working on golf exercises to gain flexibility and to increase my back swing. Couple of years ago I pretty much didn't go past 9-10 oclock on my back swing but have been working on it. Especially the past 3 months with golf workouts. Been golfing for about 3 years now, tell me what you guys think and please tell me what I can improve on, thanks.

My swing with a 7 Iron:
    http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...ch10th2008.flv

50 Yards and in pitch shot:
    http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...oMarch10th.flv

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Keeping in mind that I am not an expert, here are some suggestions with respect to your full swing. Others on this site will chime in with more knowledgeable comments in due course, but these are things you might consider:

1. Your stance should be widened. The width of your shoulders is the general standard. That can vary from person to person, but your stance is much too narrow for a full shot. The extra width will put you in a better balanced position. Think of the agility of a guard in basketball.

2. It is difficult to see on the video, but my guess is that you really don't bend your knees at all. You should do so. Again think of yourself as being in an agile, athletic position. Flex your knees and bend forward from the hips. Your butt should be sticking out a bit. Think of catching the edge of a bar stool with your butt while feet are still touching the floor. Depending on your body type, your arms, if allowed to hang loosely, will point just ahead of your toes.

2. If you flex in that fashion, your right shoulder should a bit lower than your left (the natural result of a proper grip), then you should be able to eliminate - at least to some extent - your left shoulder moving into your jaw through a good part of your backswing. This will also have the added benefit of providing you with a more consistent spine angle position throughout your swing. Right now that does not exist.

3. Your zeal for achieving flexibility has almost completely taken your hips out of the swing. The only time I saw your hips move is halfway through the downswing. They should be more engaged.

4. The downswing is now being initiated by your shoulders. This "over the top" move has been successful for some, but it is hard to repeat with consistency. Others (especially BC MIST) will be able to tell you better than I how to ensure that your downswing is effected in a more integrated fashion.

There's more, but I probably have confused you more than anyone deserves or needs.

Good luck and keep swinging.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    My comments would very much mirror Mike's.

1. Your legs look far too close together and your lower body really needs to be alot more relaxed and athletic.

2. You look like a strong guy, you would certainly benefit from a few lessons from a CPGA pro to get you on the right track. Alot of the "turn" comes from your hips which are locked during your entire swing basically.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    My observations
    1. You must widen your stance, as indicated above. Twice as wide.
    2. Your left hand appears to be too weak, with the "V" pointing to your nose or more toward your left shoulder. This will encourage a slice or a push.
    3 It appears that at address your right shoulder is out and up versus in and more under your left.
    4. It appears that your club head is moved much too far behind you on the back swing. The weak grip and rolling of the forearms cause this.
    5. Great shoulder turn.
    6. First downswing move is the upper body sliding forward, caused by the narrow stance. I want the left foot placed opposite the middle of the water heater.
    7. When your hands are opposite your left leg, the after image of the shaft is more horizontal than vertical. It must be vertical.

The weak grip and the over the top start to your downswing would normally cause a slice, but your wrists flipping coming through may compensate for this.

If you can setup with your bum about a foot from a wall, take a back swing so the club does NOT hit the wall. As you come through keep your right elbow bent as long as possible, as this will help keep your left wrist FLAT and your right wrist BENT.

Nothing much will help until you significantly widen the stance.

A down the line view, if possible, would be great to see.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I saw two things that struck me as different with your swing.

1) Widen your stance. I think I stand wider when I putt! That will help with alot of balance issues, as mentioned previously.

2) When your arms get parallel to the ground (about 9 o'clock), your head and shoulders begin to rise up quite a bit instead of staying fairly stationary. Maybe this isn't a big thing, but I know when I start to stand up like that, I find I dip down in my swing and "chunk" a lot of golf shots.

Oh, I guess there is a third thing. You scoop your wrists at impact in that swing too if I remember correctly. I think in Golf Digest a number of years back they showed someone hitting into a bean bag chair and just driving their hands forward to make sure their wrists didn't snap. The picture is far easier than the explanation lol.

Otherwise, looks good so far.

Fally
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

my stance isn't usually that narrow I am mostly standing like that because of the small piece of carpet I am standing on in my basement, for most of the other comments it sure has made me more confused. I will try my best to figure out how to fix the problems I might have, thanks for all the info.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    get a bigger carpet, why pick up another bad habbit..
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I agree, get a bigger piece of carpet to stand on so you can have a proper stance or just get a small piece of carpet for the club to hit off of while you stand on the basement floor. Also hang a old sheet behind you or anything large and light colored, your pants are blending into the background and it's hard to make out your leg work on the downswing. I'm holding my comments till I see some better pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    I agree, get a bigger piece of carpet to stand on so you can have a proper stance or just get a small piece of carpet for the club to hit off of while you stand on the basement floor. Also hang a old sheet behind you or anything large and light colored, your pants are blending into the background and it's hard to make out your leg work on the downswing. I'm holding my comments till I see some better pictures.

I will do that and will record another clip within a week or two.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpoker View Post
    I will do that and will record another clip within a week or two.
    From down the line, too.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    ya, get some weight and body movement behind that swing

Thread Information