100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road

Vancouver Area - Courses suggestions

I will be on a business trip starting on April 12 for at least two weeks, I might be able to squeeze in a round of golf. Price isn't really an issue but condition is a must. I never played in that area and know almost nothing about the courses located in that region. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I have played Mayfair Lakes in Richmond and Northlands in North Vancouver. Mayfair is a nice course, albeit quite flat. Northlands is a great course, very hilly. Would recommend a cart for that one.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I'll second the recommendation for Mayfair Lakes in Richmond - flat and fairly open, with fast greens and lots of water hazards. I would also recommend Fraserview just off Marine Drive - tree-lined with some elevation changes, but easily walkable.

Winter is the rainy season in Vancouver, so you'll likely have casual water to deal with no matter where you go. Still better than Ottawa in April though!

Steph, I am in Vancouver right now and it is killing me not having my clubs. It's about +10, the grass is green (I forgot what that is all about) and it ain't raining.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Steph, I am in Vancouver right now and it is killing me not having my clubs. It's about +10, the grass is green (I forgot what that is all about) and it ain't raining.
    I'll bring my clubs with me hoping that it won't rain because I have a very tight schedule even though I will be there for two weeks at least.

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road
    Hi,
    Try Mogan Creek, excellent, Westwood Plateau, Northview ( Mike Weir's first win), UBC course is very good, and Mayfair Lakes, I have my only hole in one there, good course. If you have a chance try Lomis Trail on the U.S. side about 45 min from Vancouver outstanding. Bring money the Green Fees are high but the quality and weather will beat ottawa.
    Have fun I wish I could go.
    Parbreaker
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

5 Wood AndrewMGA is on a distinguished road AndrewMGA's Avatar
    I'll second UBC, it is a good course and it is a decent price for Vancouver.

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road

Ubc

You have to play the UBC course. One of my favorites, its a great old style layout, nothing but pure golf. You will love it, its close to downtown and the price is right. Don't miss out. I played it 3 days in a row once - first thing in the morning - pretty special place.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Northlands may not be open yet.

Where are you staying, that will dictate the course locations...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I will be staying downtown but don't mind renting a car and driving a bit to play an excellent course...

9 Iron pheenster is on a distinguished road
    It'll be a bit wet, but Furry Creek opens today (Friday). Normally that would be about 30-40 minutes from the north side of the Lions Gate Bridge, but there's a ton of work being done to the Sea-to-Sky Highway so it could be a bit longer than that. Still, if you get a sunny day it would be worth the trip. The scenery is fantastic. Looks like the current green fee is $59 including a cart.

http://www.golfbc.com/courses/furry_creek

I've been considering a spring weekend trip up that way with a day of skiing at Whistler and a day golfing at FC. Don't know if I'm going to be able to make it happen, though.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    I will be staying downtown but don't mind renting a car and driving a bit to play an excellent course...
    If you are downtown, then the University Club at UBC is a good choice. Everything else is a drive. Mayfair Lakes in Richmond will also be relatively close. Furry Creek is a great mountain course option also.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

For the scenery, Furry Creek looks amazing. I'm also seriously considering Westwood Plateau. I played Bear Mountain on a previous trip to Victoria and was speechless. I'd like to try another mountain course since we don't really have that selection of courses in the area.

northlands is a mountain course and since it is owned by the city it is very reasonable.

Westwood Plateau is a great track, used to be top 100 in Canada, it is pretty expensive. Northlands and Furry Creek will give you more bang for the buck.

Westwood also opens a bit later, and is not quite as mountainous as the other two.
    Colby

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    As Dave said, the university course a good bet. It's a reasonably priced, well-conditioned, forested layout where, besides the birdies that you will generate, you may see a fox or two.

Whenever I used to visit Vancouver, which I did often, the club staff were always accommodating. As a single you should have no trouble finding a game. Even if you have to wait a bit, there's a very good driving range on the pemises. And when you've finished your round, the food in the bar used to be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    If you are downtown, then the University Club at UBC is a good choice. Everything else is a drive. Mayfair Lakes in Richmond will also be relatively close. Furry Creek is a great mountain course option also.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I have to agree with mpare and Colby, I was there last yeat for work, and i played the university club. Very nice track. The had top of the line rentals sets as well (TM R7's) which I rented. It is about a $20.00 cab ride from downtown, and you take take the bus as well, as there is a bus that goes from downtown Vancouver right to the golf course and cost$3.00 and takes about 30 minutes.

I went as a single, and had to wait about 15 minutes, and they put me in with a group with 3 other golfers.

You have to love a man who can balance work and pleasure. Did you manage to par the second hole?

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    I have to agree with mpare and Colby, I was there last yeat for work, and i played the university club. ...
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Is that the 105 yard Par 3?

No, that's the 3rd hole. The second is a bit of dogleg left and uphill with a water hole to the left of the driving area.

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    Is that the 105 yard Par 3?

I did manange to par that one, it was the par 3 after I bogied...

Thread Information