100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar

Whitlam Gauge Design putters - better than SC

I've been a Scotty Cameron player since 1996. I got rid of all my SC putters and am now a David Whitlam fan. I now have a Whitlam Devon putter and it has to be the best putter i've ever had for both feel and look. The putter is like butter, the ball roll is unbeleivable and the finish on the putter is outstanding. David is a canadian guy and you can read his story on their web site or go to Golfwrx if you have an account. Putters are usualy made in the 100's not thousands; and all putters are made and milled in the US not China (like some over the counter SC putters ).

Golf Digest hot list in 2006 and 2008.

Putters are not cheap ($300 to $500); another nice thing is they dont gouge you for new grips ($7.) or head covers in different colours for $25.

Anyway I'm sold......... and i;m currently trying to get David to get me a prototype Devon as well............

Check their web sites in the US and UK.

http://www.gaugedesigns.com/whitlam/
    http://www.whitlamgolf.co.uk/

Some pics of my putter
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    He makes great putters, no doubt. I think his company will do well now that the whole Gauge Design Japan, Gauge Design US stuff is over with. At least I think it got settled, GDJ went bankrupt last year, not sure if that killed all the lawsuits. Whitlam's Canadian, isn't he?

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    their logo is a rip of the scotty crown don't you think??
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Yes he's from Edmonton... What would be neat is a limited tour production run of one of his putters (anser model) with a canadian flag on it. I'll e-mail that to him as a suggestion since he's canadian (ive seen his limited putters with US, UK, Irish and French flags). Probably would make one if a canadian pro that played on a tour wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    He makes great putters, no doubt. I think his company will do well now that the whole Gauge Design Japan, Gauge Design US stuff is over with. At least I think it got settled, GDJ went bankrupt last year, not sure if that killed all the lawsuits. Whitlam's Canadian, isn't he?

It's not a crown, it's a capital "W" for Whitlam.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    their logo is a rip of the scotty crown don't you think??

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    looks like a Scotty. same price as a Scotty. looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must be a ............

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    looks like a Scotty. same price as a Scotty. looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must be a ............

Gauge design. If you actually look at their site you'll some original designs.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    i saw some of the originals, and they arnt originals. very DelMar-ish. and very Cleveland-ish

im not knocking it at all they probaly are awesome putters (see above), dont get me wrong. but it isnt anything new. and the after sale service that Scotty offers may possibly be superior....? but i dont know for sure. so i wont set that in stone.

You can say same for SC putters; most are "Ping"ish and a lot of the new designs are similar to other putters made in Japan.

As far as after service is concerned...... With them it wont cost you the price of another putter just to get yours tuned up. And new grips and putter cover aren't going to cost you an arm and a leg either (over the counter stuff).

I've been in touch with Whitlam in the US 4 times already and all my e-mails were replied in 1-2 days. They checked for me if they could get me a Devon SS Proto from the UK and they told me they were all sold out, but they would keep an eye out in case they made more or one became available. Pretty damn good.

I also told them today about the idea of a canadian version of their Devon SS prototype (Cdn flag at bottom, red white headcover and grip); kind of would be nice if David made a cdn model (since he is a cdn). I'm waiting for a reply.

i saw some of the originals, and they arnt originals. very DelMar-ish. and very Cleveland-ish

im not knocking it at all they probaly are awesome putters (see above), dont get me wrong. but it isnt anything new. and the after sale service that Scotty offers may possibly be superior....? but i dont know for sure. so i wont set that in stone.

Dont forget...... Gauge Japan is no longer associated with Gauge USA; Whitlam left Gauge Japan and started up Gauge USA over manufacturing issues in Japan; Dave got ** off when the putters he was designing for Japan were sent to China for manufacturing; when David saw how crappy the putters were he sued Gauge Japan. Was a big battle written in Golf magazines.

What Dave did was to incorporate the name "Gauge Design" in the US; that way Gauge Japan can not sell any putters in the US with the "Gauge Design" name stamped on them. By the way he cant sell his putters in Japan either.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    You can say same for SC putters; most are "Ping"ish
    Pretty much all of the "boutique" putters out there owe their heritage to one of the classic Ping designs (Anser, Zing, Pal, etc).

The boutique makers can still differentiate themselves on materials, stampings, inserts, etc. and there are lots of good putters out there.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Pretty much all of the "boutique" putters out there owe their heritage to one of the classic Ping designs (Anser, Zing, Pal, etc).

The boutique makers can still differentiate themselves on materials, stampings, inserts, etc. and there are lots of good putters out there.
    agreed... look is one thing... feel is another...

but to say something is better than something else... its always up to enterpritation.... feel is in the mind of the beholder.... and i wont agree with you until ive tried it.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 03-10-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Feel is not in the mind; it's in the hands...... the feedback mechanism to your mind. Some companies have developed shafts that give your putter "feel" (aka UST).

I was one of the first in Ottawa to get an SC putter (1996) and have sold a lot of people on them along the way. I dont have anything negative to say against SC putters. I've own 6 over the years; and i've tried all SC's made plus a lot of other putter models since i have a PGA connection.

The best "feel" and "roll" putter from SC that i ever had was the 2003 1.5 Prototype. The "W" putter i got now has probably the same for feel and roll, but much better in terms of craftsmanship. You have to see it to beleive it......

agreed... look is one thing... feel is another...

but to say something is better than something else... its always up to enterpritation ( ).... feel is in the mind of the beholder.... and i wont agree with you until ive tried it.

This was not the reason why i bought the putter...... Pic from Whitlam girl at Japan PGA show....

Putter epicgolf is on a distinguished road

Whitlam putters

Any Questions ask me. I know David Whitlam and what is going on. And Yes the Best putter on the market for sure with no OEM Marketing

Noticed you have one of his new limited edition guage design putter (only 50 made)that was put up on his new guage web site recently.

I was realy tempted to get that one as well but David found me a limited edition ETBW SS (#02 of 100) about a month before that so am quite happy with this one.

I've played about 10 rounds now with the ETBW SS and i have to say that it is the best putter i've ever had.

Whitlam has just come up with a new limited putter..... Only 26 made. Interestingly, this is the first tour putter with a canadian flag on it.
    Attached Images

Found out this month that David Whitlam made 3 prototype putters for Tiger Wood. Was named GA03.

One just sold on the TO golf web site. Here are some pics.
    Attached Images

Just picked up a couple of more Whitlam prototype to add to collection.

1. David Whitlam Coldstar Prototype. #92 of 100, only 25 of this model were made in this "Coldstar" finish. 350 gram head and topped off with a white leather Gripmaster Stitchback grip.

2. Gauge Designs/ David Whitlam Code-M 5th Anniversary heel shafted mallet. Numbered #129 of 500, and finished in a unique Chocolate Brown Oxide finish, only found on the anniversary models.
    Attached Images

Bouche
    simply beautiful;

Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    simply beautiful;
    David Whitlam does create some awesome putters.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I love the GA03 the sight dot with no line works the best for me The coldstar looks really nice too.

5 Iron mysticalwarrior is on a distinguished road mysticalwarrior's Avatar

Gauge

Where did you get the pictures from I just ordered mine the other day and they only came in last week some time.
    I have them for sale here in ottawa for 400 can. I have the number 2 coming in at least I was told it would be number 2 dave took num,ber 1 for himself.

Whitlam has just come up with a new limited putter..... Only 26 made. Interestingly, this is the first tour putter with a canadian flag on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticalwarrior View Post
    Where did you get the pictures from I just ordered mine the other day and they only came in last week some time.
    I have them for sale here in ottawa for 400 can. I have the number 2 coming in at least I was told it would be number 2 dave took num,ber 1 for himself.
    Toronto golf web site.

If it wasn't for the last 2 i just picked up i would be all over this one.

Gauge

No problem if you want to see itand feel it its here Ill even allow drooling I dint get number 2 like I was supposed to but I did get number 4 of 26 I'll even throw IN WHITLAM HAT.This putter is awsome.

If it wasn't for the last 2 i just picked up i would be all over this one.

No problem if you want to see itand feel it its here Ill even allow drooling I dint get number 2 like I was supposed to but I did get number 4 of 26 I'll even throw IN WHITLAM HAT.This putter is awsome.
    I'll keep it in mind. I might have to sell one of my new acquisitions to get this one. Thanks.

Just to let you know I am keeping the price down and swollowing the price jump of 75 dollars they tell me they want me to sell it for 475 now.

I'll keep it in mind. I might have to sell one of my new acquisitions to get this one. Thanks.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Just to let you know I am keeping the price down and swollowing the price jump of 75 dollars they tell me they want me to sell it for 475 now.
    There's a good chance I might jump on one before I leave to go back to Edmonton next month. IF not, I'll have you ship me one.

No problem but this one is a rarity right now My source has no more with the flag at least thats what he told me and I trust him he brought in all the canadian flag models for sale in canada only and he has told me he has sold them all.
    Now I have more gauge putters I actually have the one you saw last week and I also have the SPI putter from whitlam might as well be a gauge its so good.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    There's a good chance I might jump on one before I leave to go back to Edmonton next month. IF not, I'll have you ship me one.

Thread Information