View Poll Results: When will the Ottawa Golf Courses Open this Season (2008)

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • April 1 - 12

11 10.68%
  • April 13 - 26

40 38.83%
  • April 27 - May 10

42 40.78%
  • After May 10

10 9.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Environment Canada senior climatologist Dave Phillips says don't put away those snow shovels just yet.................
    Environment Canada is predicting the first month of spring is going to be colder than normal across the country.....................
    A year ago, he said the temperatures were more like plus 12 and plus 15 in southern Ontario and southern Quebec.

"People were arranging their tee-off times, not waxing their skis," said Phillips.

He blames the lingering effects of La Nina for the long drawn-out winter - the coldest in 12 years - adding it feels so long because last year, we only had about six weeks of wintry weather.

La Nina is a cooling of the tropical Pacific Ocean that can cause changes in weather patterns around the world.

This winter was a bit of a throwback to the winters of the past - with near-record snowfalls in the east. Phillips said Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa - the world's snowiest national capital - could still set records. They have until July to do so under the record-keeping rules.
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...spring_arrives
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    He blames the lingering effects of La Nina for the long drawn-out winter - the coldest in 12 years -
    That is very odd, since he was on Daily Planet last night and said that overall the winter was not a paticularly cold one, but that set up the right condition for lots of snow. He did mention it being the worst winter in 12 years.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I dont like the part that says;we have untill July to do so under the record-keeping rules.Does this guy know something we dont?

There has been snow recorded in May. I guess it's to allow for freak events.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I think I'd cry if we got snow in June or July.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    This what I manage to find:

Toronto 210+ cm
    Ottawa 410+
    Quebec City 500+
    Montreal 365
    Kirkland Lake 200

This is the world upside down... The problem you guys will still golf before us...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    There has been snow recorded in May. I guess it's to allow for freak events.
    I clearly remember snow (in Ottawa) the second week of June in 1980 !!! We had at least a 3 - 5 cm (well maybe 1-2 cm) on the grass in the morning. The amount gets higher as I age....... By afternoon it had all melted, but my baseball game was still cancelled that evening.............That is something one never forgets..................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

I clearly remember snow (in Ottawa) the second week of June in 1980 !!! We had at least a 3 - 5 cm (well maybe 1-2 cm) on the grass in the morning. The amount gets higher as I age...... By afternoon it had all melted so likely not recorded as measurable. However, my baseball game was still cancelled that evening.............That is something one never forgets..................
    Some of the older forum members might remember:

Latest recorded snowfall in Ottawa: June 27, 1950
    Latest measurable snowfall: May 25, 1961, 2.3 cm
    Latest and heaviest snowfall: May 10, 1963, 15 cm

Great historical data from Environment Canada. You can plug in the Month, day, year and see the hourly weather record. Does show snow from 3:00 pm through midnight on May 10, 1963........
    June 10, 1980 does show temps between 2 - 7 C during the morning........does not indicate snow, but I can guarantee we had it !!!
    http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec....rlydata_e.html

I prefer to remember March 31, 2006 as many of you likely do........Check out the balmy temps we had !!!

14 day forecast: Up to April 5th is not very good.......... Below normal, 0-4 C. Need something alot better than this to get the snow melting...................
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...ecode=caon0512

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Yikes---i guess we are not coming home anytime soon-----when is the fun day scheduled?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Alberta Clipper to bring brief blast of snow on Tuesday

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...1940a9&k=89800

That would give Ottawa about 426 centimetres for the winter, 18 less than the record of 444.1 centimetres that fell in the winter of 1970-71..........

On March 27 last year, Ottawa got up to 16C, Mr. Phillips said, although the whole country is expecting below normal temperatures for the next 10 days.

In Ottawa, March temperatures have been 3.3C lower than normal, he said.

While some might see the cool temperatures a good thing in that it reduces the threat of flooding in the short term, Mr. Phillips warned that delaying the inevitable could increase the risk.

"The chances of a rapid thaw are much higher as you get into April," he said.

We still have 63 centimetres on the ground, he added, something he finds "ominous."

In the last four days, he added, the snowpack has been reduced only by two centimetres.
    "You should be losing snow at about 10 centimetres a day."

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    If we lost snow at the rate of 10cm a day we could still be golfing by April 5th. I'm still holding out against increasing odds!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

One year ago today Dragonfly opened.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Are you trying to torture us Dan????
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Sure. Gotta have some fun.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    One year ago today Dragonfly opened.
    And I was there with Bulldog.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

The end might be in sight folks...................Looks like we will be in double digit temps by April 7-8. Not high, but above average 10 C with rain and it looks to be climbing in the right direction..............
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...ecode=caon0512

Mind you Colby will have already have a couple of rounds in since April 5th at his favourite Ottawa course..............

Baxter
    I think you boys in Ottawa should go for the record...You are so close, it would be a shame to get that close and miss it....lol

Lots of Grass in Prince Edward County and there will be more after this rain.....

PS...
    Can't sleep so I just read this thread....I need a life....LOL... or sleeping pills

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I've heard from more than one source that the frost is not very deep into the ground this year, so once the snow is melted, the ground should thaw quickly and we're off to the races.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I just returned from a quick trip to Toronto. It struck me as I was driving there and back, that from Kingston to Toronto there is much less snow than here. This is especially so in Toronto. With a bit of warm weather, I wouldn't be surprised if a course or two might be open within a couple of weeks along that strip. However, the closer destination is still Syracuse. If their courses are open in 2 weeks time, I'll planning a quick day trip there.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Accuweather forecast for Ottawa apr 7 to apr 10.

Rain every day and the good news.....

Apr 7 ----- +8*C
    Apr 8 ----- +12*C
    Apr 9 ----- +14*C
    Apr 10 ---- +16*C
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Syracuse. If their courses are open in 2 weeks time, I'll planning a quick day trip there.

I'll drive.....just let me know!!
    "Get your smile on!"

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

When will we

You are not the only one budy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy4Par View Post
    Syracuse. If their courses are open in 2 weeks time, I'll planning a quick day trip there.

I'll drive.....just let me know!!

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Checking every day to see when ClubLink is going to open the Toronto courses . Last year it was around first week of April........ Maybe next week then again...... I'm betting for sure the week of Apr 7th......
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    On a positive note with all the warm weather recently enough snow has melted that I was able to see the yardage signs at the 19th tee.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    This is going to be a brutal few weeks. If the warm weather comes through we may be able to hit balls outside that weekend, and maybe have some courses trying to open on the 19th. All in all it doesn't bode well though, there's just so much snow and only so many hours in the day. Gonna have to grab a round at bent grass just to keep my sanity.

Playing Winter Rules RBAKER is on a distinguished road RBAKER's Avatar
    Not for a while. Come out to Sunny and Warm Mississuaga.

RB

With another 30 cm today and 10-15 forecasted for Saturday thought it would be a good time to start a poll of when the Ottawa Golf courses will open for the 2008 season........There is a ton of snow out there to melt folks.............
    Membership- GlenCairn Golf Club

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Where is that freaken groundhog. Wasn’t spring coming early this year? Only 6 more weeks of winter they said!! I guess it was blind hence he did not crawl back in its hole cuz he couldn’t find it.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Playing Winter Rules RBAKER is on a distinguished road RBAKER's Avatar
    Seems to be melting real good out here. Speculated Highs of 17 the week after next. I think you guys will be good in Ottawa by what the 23 April- Clublink
    Membership- GlenCairn Golf Club

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    And I was there with Bulldog.
    Just thinking the same thing. Looking outside, today being the 30th, can't believe we'd been playing almost a week by now!

Thread Information