100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Thumbs up Funai Classic, Cancer and a personal connection

Some great news all around, with a bit of a story to it, and a connection to the FUNAI.

As some of you know, my daughter Sarah's boyfriend Stephen Fricker was diagnosed with Hodgkins disease (Cancer in the lymph nodes) back in January. Well, after a long winter/spring/summer he was officially pronounced "In remission" last Thursday. We are all very happy about that.

Stephen was profiled by CJOH for the CHEO telethon, and and Sarah was at his side for weeks while he underwent chemo and radiation. Needless to say, Stephen and his condition were instrumental in my decision to make the OttawaGolf Open into a charity event for CHEO, where $1000 was raised.

Stephen was one of the benificiaries of the Serge Giroux Golf Dream Classic, a fund raiser to send a couple of kids to meet the pros in Florida at the FUNAI Classic at the WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort. He leaves on Thursday, and will spend the weekend hob-nobbing with Tiger, Ian Leggatt and, he was to meet Mike Weir if he played, but he is not in the feild. Stephen and his family will spend the early part of next week sightseeing and enjoying Disney World. Needless to say, my daughter is wishing the invite included her, but it's just for Stephen and his family. I am even further down the list I'm affraid :cry

Anyway, I just had to share the good news. The game of golf has always been connected to charity, and it has never been clearer to me why this is so.
    With the support of charity, Cancer can be beaten.

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road
    I work at the same company as Stephen Fricker's father. We both work at Lee Valley Tools and I have know him for 8 years now. His brother works here as well, and I've know him for 15 years. Great to hear Stephen is doing good. Another co-worker of mine manages a rock band and they did a benefit concert for Stephen a few months ago. Keep up the fight.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    CONGRATS to all, especially to CHEO.....

Great to hear from someone who knows the family. It's a small city sometimes.
    The people at CHEO save kid's lives. It's hard to find a better cause.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Awesome for Stephen and CHEO. Made my day to hear this good news.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Dan,

The New RO just had a spot including an interview with Stephen. There will be a follow-up session after the tournament on Tuesday night.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Yes they did that bit about 2 weeks ago at the Merrivale Rd Mini Putt. We thought it was to be aired tonight and that Kate's bit was to air on Thursday, but they switched it around. We got to see it anyway

Thread Information