100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm a little disappointed that they aren't allowing rangefinders. The RCGA has outlined the local rule and the GAO, OVGA, and Golf Quebec (I think) are all allowing use in their tournaments.

The other thing I noticed in the conditions of the competition is that the ball you use must be on the CURRENT conforming list. I still have a stash of Maxfli Rev Tours that I am working through and these are now old enough that they aren't on the current list, even though they were in the past.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I'm a little disappointed that they aren't allowing rangefinders. The RCGA has outlined the local rule and the GAO, OVGA, and Golf Quebec (I think) are all allowing use in their tournaments.
    Golf Quebec approved the use of rangefinders in the spring and the OVGA followed suit a couple of weeks later.

It's a shame that they are not going to be permitted as their proper use DOES speed up play. It is likely that the organizers were not aware of the approval when they decided upon the conditions of competition. In the one OVGA event that I have participated in and others where I have refereed, many players were surprised to find out that they could be used in competition and few were actually used. Betcha they're allowed next year.

Well, it appears that enough people have contacted the tournament organizers and rangefinders are now allowed.

Good on the Committee for recognizing the oversight and making the change.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

An early tee time for me.

This means if I play half decent I get a chance to hold the lead in the clubhouse for a few minutes or so.

Earlier is better at Talon...avoid the winds

Hybrid Riddell is on a distinguished road
    ahh i hate starting on #10 in tournaments. get the tough nine out of the way first?

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Yeah, #1 at Talon is definitely a more comfortable starting hole than #10. Unfortunately, I'm starting on #10 as well.

I guess it'll be a lot easier to eagle the first hole though!

Quote Originally Posted by Riddell View Post
    ahh i hate starting on #10 in tournaments. get the tough nine out of the way first?
    That you will. The first 3 holes are straight forward enough, but after that it can get tricky. If you can play 13-16 in 1-2 over you're doing ok.

Bouche
    Im at 8:30 on #1. Got matched up with a good friend 2! Always good to know that your going to have good company. I have yet to play Talon.....Is anyone willing to go through the holes? Im hoping to get out there before then. Possibly July 5th!

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    Im at 8:30 on #1. Got matched up with a good friend 2! Always good to know that your going to have good company. I have yet to play Talon.....Is anyone willing to go through the holes? Im hoping to get out there before then. Possibly July 5th!
    FYI - They have yardage books for sale in the pro shop.
    Back at it.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    can you guys play it before then?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Bouche
    I will likely get the yardage book but its nice to have the course explained by someone who knows where to hit and not to hit. What to avoid, what side of the green you should be on.

That kind of stuff that will help.

Silly? before july 5th?

bbad
    I'm guessing they set this up like they would for club championships, so I'll tell you where (most times) the pin will be.

Hole 1: straightforward par 4 - avoid left (bunkers). If pin is at the back, avoid long due to a slope from back to front. Can get nasty from back there. My guess: pin back right.. Keep it under the hole and maybe try a birdie.

Hole 2: Tough par 4. If wind is in your face, swollow your pride and lay-up, unless you're in less than 180. Depending upon your shot shape, there is a nice power alley down the right hand side, but you'll have to play with the trees to take advantage of it....my advice, do what ever you can to get on that green in less than 3 shots and take a 2 putt bogey and count yourself lucky. Par will probably get you one back from the field. Pin probably up on the back left shelf...play to the bottom tier and putt up. dead left, bunker short and dead long. Tough hole.

Hole 3: Fairly easy par 5. Straight forward tee shot (though it is OB on the right side after the hazzard (200+ out). Pin back middle.. There's a steep slope at the back of the green. Don't go long.

Hole 4: Par 3 - looks easy and if you hit the middle of the green, not that bad. Pin will probably be either front right (nasty place) or back left. If it is back left, you can take your chances for a birdie. front right...middle of the green...do not go right. you\ll be screwed short sided. green slopes from right to left and down a hill with the pin on the hill....have fun.

Hole 5: Straight forward par 4. You don't need to hit driver here. 240 club will put you at around 100 yards. Dead long, short and right. There is a bail out area left. Pin probably middle back. Green has a collection area front right (just after the bunker) so unless the pin is in there, try and stay away from there. Birdie hole if you make a good approach shot. If they put the pin front rigbt, let it feed into the collection area and tap in your birdie.

Hole 6: Deceiving par 5. From the tips...If the wind is at your back, you can fly the bunkers over the dog leg (240). Pin probably either back right (nasty) or middle front. Back right has a collection area right of the green...difficult up and down. bunkers short left and long, false front and another collection area right. Middle of the green won't hurt you here.

Hole 7: Good par 3. Pin probably middle back. Be careful here. There's a nasty ridge there that will drive you crazy. Bunkers left and long right. false front. Collection area at the back.

Hole 8: Easy par 4 (depending on the pin). Back left (probable) middle of the green and two putt. Don't get greedy. Long is thick rough on a hill that slopes down to the green. Impossible to keep it within 20 feet of the hole. Pin front right. Keep it below the hole. Down hill putt above the hole that sweeps a fair bit.

Hole 9: Fly the bunker on the right (220) and you'll get a good roll down the hill. Pin could be anywhere on this hole. My guess is back left (if Danny is feeling nasty). Bunkers left and collection area long. Fairly standard par 4.

Hole 10: Good par 5: Wide open drive. Don't go anywhere near the bunkers on the right. Pin will probably be back right, so this will be a three shot hole...Bouche you might be able to get there, but it's all carry over water with a short bunker that guards the green. Not worth it. Layup area is about 30 yards left of the 150 marker. You won't see it from the fairway, but there is a nice flat area there between 130-100 yards that opens up the green. Especially if the pin is in the back right. Shorts around the 150 marker you probably will find yourself on an uneven lie.

Hole 11: Looks like a simple par 4 but you can make a big number here. Try and get your tee shot to around 130 yards (no closer) - . you'll put the water in play to the right. You might run out of fairway. Also, bunkers left off the tee are known to have a lot of balls go into them. approach shot - take an extra club. It's uphill. Regardless where the pin is, DO NOT PUT THE BALL ANYWHERE BUT THE MIDDLE OF THE GREEN. Dead short (false front), deep bunkers right, dead long (you'll probably go into the lake hidden behind) and absolutely dead left. Stand over there after you hit it and you'll see what I mean. Green slopes back to front so middle of the green will give you a fairly easy two putt.

Hole 12: Good par 3. Wind probably in your face, so take an extra half a club. No real tricks here, other than don't go long. Probable pin....front right.

Hole 13: Now the fun starts. I don't care if you are Tiger woods, if the wind is in your face, you won't reach this 592 yard (all carry) par 5. Put it to the 150 but be carefull of the water to the right. Green is fairly standard that slopes back to front. Bunkers at the back are to be avoided.

Hole 14: Grip it and rip it. 489 par 4. Do not go anywhere on the right. It's an elevated green (doesn't look it, but it is). Bunker short is penal, long is dead. Collection area back left (not the end of the world, but there's better places to be). If you have to bail out, just right is probably the best place. Pin probably will be right behind the bunker. short left. Deadly pin. 5 on this hole is not a bad score.

Hole 15: Long par 3 - Win will probably be in your face, so take an extra club. Bunkers to the right and long right just long. Pin will probably be back right. Middle of the green is a good place to be.

Hole 16: Another demanding par 4 (420 yrds). DO NOT GO RIGHT. That water gets a lot of balls. Anything inside of 150 is a good shot. Pin will be back right (guarentee it). Don't get stupid on this hole, there is no where to go right, bunkers short, you're absolutely dead long. Green is shaped like a peanut that is perpendicular to you. Keep to the left 8 and take you're two putt. If you put it on the right side of the green, either you are crazy or you miss hit your shot. No sane person really attacks that pin location.

Hole 17: Straight forward par 3. Pin probably back right. Green slopes back to front. Bunkers left and right. Long is not that bad but try avoid it. Guys on 18 might not like you. Be careful here. Right at the green, the trees open up and you might get a nasty cross wind that you won't feel on the tee box right over the green. Anything left of the bunkers on the left is JAIL. Nice knowing ya.

Hole 18: If the wind is at your face, you probably won't make the bunker over the dog leg. Keep left. Layup to around 150. Take an extra club here. It always plays longer. Bail out area is left if you have to. Two tier'd green. Pin probably on the hump between the two. Nasty pin. If it's in the middle of the green, keep it to the right. You'll want the up hill putt.

Hope this helps,

Bouche
    WOW! Thanks bad...im really excited to play this course. Seems like a challenge. Ill have this in my backpocket come gameday!

Bouche
    Played Loch March for the first time today. Wow! what a course! a little wet but a great layout and im excited for the 14th now. Glad I got a practice round in because there were a couple holes I played two balls one with driver and one with an iron off the tee and it really helped me set a solid gameplan.

I did pay the full green fee (70$) but I was wondering if there is any way to get cheap or free practice rounds???

I don't think any of the tournaments that have hosted the Citizen have ever offered free/discounted practice rounds.

Loch March sells a booklet of green fees which is 6 for the price of 5. That's the only discount they offer. Unfortunately the fees aren't transferable so you'd have to use them all yourself.

Tomorrow's the big day... For those of you who are entered, how's your game?

For me, I'm pretty happy with the state of my short game but my tee shots are a little suspect. If I can avoid big trouble off the tee, I think I'll do alright.

I'm glad I've got a relatively early tee time tomorrow. Looks like it's going to be another steamy one.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Good luck to all tomorrow, I plan on joining you next year!!!! I've knocked on the wood to hope the showers stay away.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Is Silly going to give me a sleeve of Pro vs if I can predict the winner?
    Andrew

After giving the hosel of my SW a workout at the range yesterday, I am as ready as I can be.

Take long odds on me winning Sak.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    After giving the hosel of my SW a workout at the range yesterday, I am as ready as I can be.

Take long odds on me winning Sak.

Just what you need as your last practice session before the big day. Good luck to everyone entered.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Good luck mjf and jvincent (and everyone else). I hope the practice helped.

Here's my first round report.

The weather was pretty good for the morning. Muggy, but a little breeze so not too bad. We had a few drops of rain but that was it.

Generally speaking I thought I hit the ball pretty well and thought I played better than last year. I started out OK and was +1 until a spectacular 4-putt triple on #6. Finished the front with a 43. Bogeyed 10 (fried egg) and 11 and then got on the par train until 15 where I snap-hooked one into the fescue. Lost ball and another triple. Finished with a 43 on the back for an 86.

I actually putted a lot better this year than last year with 33 putts including the 4-putt and one 3-putt.

When I left the scores were looking pretty reasonable. Low was a 71, then came some 76's and other high seventies and a bunch of scores in the 80s. Two or three in the 90's when I left.

I'll let the others post their recaps but I will say that our group was disturbed on 14 tee by the celebrations when Mr. Bouche jarred his approach on 13 from the eagle.

Here's my first round report.

The weather was pretty good for the morning. Muggy, but a little breeze so not too bad. We had a few drops of rain but that was it.

Generally speaking I thought I hit the ball pretty well and thought I played better than last year. I started out OK and was +1 until a spectacular 4-putt triple on #6. Finished the front with a 43. Bogeyed 10 (fried egg) and 11 and then got on the par train until 15 where I snap-hooked one into the fescue. Lost ball and another triple. Finished with a 43 on the back for an 86.

I actually putted a lot better this year than last year with 33 putts including the 4-putt and one 3-putt.

When I left the scores were looking pretty reasonable. Low was a 71, then came some 76's and other high seventies and a bunch of scores in the 80s. Two or three in the 90's when I left.

I'll let the others post their recaps but I will say that our group was disturbed on 14 tee by the celebrations when Mr. Bouche jarred his approach on 13 from the eagle.

Not bad Mr. JV, not bad. I'm sure you're score would've been 81-82 is I had caddied for you. I'm sure my services would've been good for at least 4 strokes, if not 5.

And good on Bouche for jarring the eagle.

BTW, who had the low score when you left?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

At least then I would have had somebody else to blame.

I can't remember who had the 71.

At least then I would have had somebody else to blame.

I can't remember who had the 71.

Like you said, we'll let the others post their scores, but give us a hint. Were there any forum members that put up some great scores today?

Hybrid Riddell is on a distinguished road
    I played a solid round except for a smooth double on #6 (took 5 to get down from 15 feet short of green!!). Very pleased with 14 GIR. 39-35 for a 74

Riddell sr. (my dad) was 37-43 for 80 with a 9 on par 5 #13..

Good luck to everybody at Loch March

Quote Originally Posted by Riddell View Post
    I played a solid round except for a smooth double on #6 (took 5 to get down from 15 feet short of green!!). Very pleased with 14 GIR. 39-35 for a 74

Riddell sr. (my dad) was 37-43 for 80 with a 9 on par 5 #13..

Good luck to everybody at Loch March

Nice rounds by you and your father. Well done.

I'm quite pleased with my round today. I shot a 76 that included a birdie on my first hole (#10) and an eagle (Woo Hoo!) on #3. My driver was working extremely well and, although I hit a few squirrelly shots, my short game bailed me out most of the time. Near the end of my round I was leaving myself with a lot of quick downhill breaking putts so I got pretty defensive.

I'm looking forward to Loch March now!

Thread Information