CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

2008 Citizen Amateur

Anyone know what courses are in the rotation this year?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    They manage to keep a fairly tight grip on the lineup before the Golf Show when they announce it and open registration. Going to have to wait till the end of March I'm afraid.

Maybe it's just the stir-craziness setting in but I thought we knew the lineup by now.

I would assume that they already know the courses since booking full days in the summer is a year in advance kind of thing.

Personally, I'd like to see the following courses, in this order:

1. Camelot
    2. Royal Ottawa
    3. Eagle Creek
    4. Marshes.

Marshes is last on my list because I'm pretty sure I won't make it that far.

I would have put the Hunt in there but hosting the Open I'd be surprised if they were in.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    i jus hope there is no stonebridge...then i can play again

Didn't you play last year?

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road
    Hi,
    I new to town, how do get in to this amateur?
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

I'm with you smithers!!!! Although revenge would be nice.....

J: I think the snow has gotten to your brain...like the rest of us. I think last year there were rumours being thrown around at this time, and also the golf show was much earlier I believe, so that may have had something to do with it.

Your list is ambitious to say the least. If we see one private course (other than CL ones) it would be a surprise, especially in the first 2 rounds.

Personally I would like to see Rideauview again as I really like the course but did not get to play last year (stupid stonebridge.....)

Looking forward to seeing the lineup though! Winter's got to end soon right?

Quote Originally Posted by parbreaker04 View Post
    Hi,
    I new to town, how do get in to this amateur?
    There will be an entry form put out by the Citizen, sometime around the end of March according to the guys with better memories than me.

The entries are limited to players with handicaps of 8 or less. Usually the cut-off ends up being somewhere in the high 6's to low 7's.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    I'm with you smithers!!!! Although revenge would be nice.....

J: I think the snow has gotten to your brain...like the rest of us. I think last year there were rumours being thrown around at this time, and also the golf show was much earlier I believe, so that may have had something to do with it.

Your list is ambitious to say the least. If we see one private course (other than CL ones) it would be a surprise, especially in the first 2 rounds.

Personally I would like to see Rideauview again as I really like the course but did not get to play last year (stupid stonebridge.....)

Looking forward to seeing the lineup though! Winter's got to end soon right?
    I expected you'd want some revenge. Did you ever post a blow by blow of your 18th hole or are you trying to forget about it? I too have a score to settle there since I probably had 38 putts on greens that I know like the back of my hand.

Yeah, I'm not really expecting to see that lineup. I think it's reasonable to assume at least one CL course, probably in the earlier rounds.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see Rivermead again. Very nice course and but for three holes I actually played pretty well.

were u talkin to me jvincent? if so i did not play last year when i heard stonebridge was on the list...i promised myself id never play there again. I played the year before opened with a triple on the last hole for 76 then fired an 88 at what turned out to be my home course the next year aha

Yep, I was asking you. That's a pretty powerful hate.

I hate the Marshes with a passion, but I'll still play.

its funny cuz ive played there once...with my school golf team for a practice round and i like one of the nines...i went 33-44 but i was so frustrated with the one nine and i just hated the greens so i said im never paying money to play that course!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Yep, I was asking you. That's a pretty powerful hate.

I hate the Marshes with a passion, but I'll still play.
    Feel similarly about this course and SB, but am curious about your reasons for the dislike, if it is appropriate here.

We're off topic now anyways so why not.

I don't like the Marshes because to me it is really just corporate "goofy golf". No walking is my biggest beef. I really don't like riding and the fact that the course was designed explicitly to be carts only burns me.

As to the course itself, I'm not a fan of the 6/6/6 setup. It gets it's "toughness" from the extra long par 5s that really are forced to be played as three shotters. And while there are a couple of nice holes in the rest of they mostly don't suit my eye.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I actually quite like SB. It's sneaky long from the back tees and while most people hate the greens I don't find them that bad. There are just as many funky greens on other courses in the region.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    It would be nice to see The Citizen at the Royal but I just don't see the members agreeing to this. Camelot is a challenge but keep in mind that it is hosting a Canadian Ladies Tour event in July and the Womens Open qualifying in August.

I enjoy SB from the tee, but the rest is "goofy golf" as you described. SB and The Marshes are very difficult, but they are contrived, unnatural looking. Perhaps it because of growing up playing Outaouais for 17 years, but I prefer parkland style courses with lots of trees and a look that the fairways and greens were merely placed amongst the natural contours of the land.

While Greensmere is not the challenge that others are, two nines are built the way I like and the 4th will be the same. Whether playing on it, or running around it, it IS just like being in a park. To each his own.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I'm sure this was asked in every Citizen thread, but I'm going to do it again... Does priority go to past entrants when signing up or is it a first come, first served sort of deal for entering? Depending on the courses I might give it a go this year just to see how far back in the pack I can actually finish.

From the stories I've heard regarding the length of the rounds, I'll probably have to buy and iPod or bring my laptop with me to pass the time between shots.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

haha hoolio they fill the spots then if there is an overflow it goes by handicap! and i wouldn't suggest ipod cuz thats illegal:O

I honestly don't know the criteria but I'm pretty sure they take the 144, or whatever the size of the field is, lowest handicaps.

Both of my rounds last year were normal pace.

As far as the iPod, there's no rule against that.

when i went to the provincials for high school golf one of the rules officials they brough in as like the head guy walked down the range and i had my headphones in and he said you cant have those on during the round eh son. OHHHH NVM maybe its cuz we aren't allowed to have caddies...ur allowed here so u cant really be gaining righttt...cuz my cjgas they say no cell phones or ipods!! right nvm!

The could restrict ipods/cellphones as a condition of the competition, but they are legal in the Rules.

no i think it might be that they are worried about us juniors have crazy parents that basically caddy, like send text messages or somethin...that makes more sense now

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I suppose you'd have to show some kind of official handicap card even before you enter into this?

If that's the case, I'll see if I can get in for next year

Fally
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    I suppose you'd have to show some kind of official handicap card even before you enter into this?
    You are supposed to have an RCGA handicap to enter, but this is something that has been an issue in the past with people getting pros to attest to handicaps, etc.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Personally I would like to see Rideauview again as I really like the course but did not get to play last year (stupid stonebridge.....)?
    Hey, if it weren't for Stonebridge, I never would have made it to the 3rd round! (stupid Rivermead).

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Last years tournament dates were July 5th, 16th, 30th and August 1st. Is it always the first, third and last week of July overlapping in August?

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I was able to check the 2006 dates and all four rounds were played in July. The dates were the 4th, 10th, 24th, and 26th.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Thanks JV. Registration forms will be available at the Golf show? If I don’t go to the show will the forms be available the following week from a web site?

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Flagstick has been the official web site of the tournament in the past so you should be able to get the forms there. That's where I got mine last year.

Typically yes. They have adjusted over the years to try to accomodate those who also play in the Tunis and Duke of Kent as those are in the middle of July.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Last years tournament dates were July 5th, 16th, 30th and August 1st. Is it always the first, third and last week of July overlapping in August?

Mike

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Anyone know what courses are in the rotation this year?

http://www.flagstick.com/

’08 Ottawa Citizen Championship Details
    Flagstick Golf Magazine has been informed that the dates and locations for the rounds of the 2008 Ottawa Citizen Amateur Championship have been confirmed. The final for both men and women will take place this year at The Marshes GC in Kanata on July 31. The semi-finals will be played out the day before (July 30) at Eagle Creek GC in Dunrobin. First round action for men will take place on July 9th at Talon at Greyhawk in Cumberland while their second round will be hosted by Loch March G&CC on July 14th. The ladies will take to the course at Greensmere G&CC on July 3rd for round one followed by second round play at Carleton G&YC in Manotick on July 15th.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Thread Information