CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I think they just threw away any chance at the cup unless they have another trade in the works.
    I have to disagree. I think Price has consistently proved this year that he's up to the challenge. I would rather have him in there than Huet any day. He's also the type of guy who needs lots of playing time to excel. I love the fact that they got rid of Huet, BUT, they should have gotten more for him, especially given the shortage of quality goalies. They could have gotten more.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    Reality of last night's game...Emery still sucks.
    The REAL reality of last night's game. You could have Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy and Terry Sawchuck in net, and you'd still lose when your offense can't score on one of the worst defensive corps the league has seen in the last decade.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    The REAL reality of last night's game. You could have Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy and Terry Sawchuck in net, and you'd still lose when your offense can't score on one of the worst defensive corps the league has seen in the last decade.
    I just wonder why this defense is playing like this? Four out of last year's six are still here (swap out Corvo and Priessing for Richardson and Commodore).

Yes, there were shortcomings on the blueline last year, but nothing like this. Lack of support from the forwards? Lack of confidience in their goaltenders?

All of the above.

You can't directly blame the defense, the goaltending or the forwards. They all share equal blame in their overall horrible team performances.
    They had better watch it, or they might miss the playoffs altogether.

Alfredsson looks like he is playing either hurt or sick. Maybe he has mono that has been going around the OHL. Or maybe it's scurvy. Whatever it is, fix it, quick.

Spezza bypasses opportunities to take the man on every 'forecheck'.

Heatley seems to think he can blast it through the shins of opposing players.

Fisher skates with furty, but looks plain lost.

Vermette looks utterly perplexed when the puck is on his stick.

Donovan is just plain terrible.

I'll give MacCammond a pass just because he's taken one too many to the melon.

Neil, before he was hurt, has been ineffective and has been taking too many ticky-tack penalties.

Kelly looks like he's just happy to be playing out his contract.

Stillman looks promising at times, but there has to be a reason Carolina was willing to deal him.

McGratten can't hold his own, and never will in the NHL, aside from in a duke with another heavyweight. I'm sure he's a great guy, but don't let the door hit you on the way out Grats. Have fun in the ECHL.

Richardson is somewhat steady, but more than 12 minutes a night is a minute too many.

Commodore is likeable and brings a wallop, but unless his new team catches on, he can't dish it all out himself.

Volcheckov blocks shots, which is great, but the guy couldn't one time a puck to save his life and looks like he's got a hand grenade on his stick if he is forced to do anything but bank it off the glass (a play Redden should familiarize himself with, pronto).

Phillips is a younger, slightly more talented Richardson. Does this guy ever get mad though? He's a big dude, why not be the first to drop your mitts one night (remove your visored helmet first though, ettiquette is important after all).

Mesaros is just plain scary.

Redden, from what I can descern, has actually improved his play the past two months. It's that, or everyone else sucks just that much more.

Schubert, if he knew when he was playing up or back, might be more consistent. Dude sure can skate and does like to lay the body, but why oh why is he on the powerplay?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I should have put this in the 'season thread'. Apologies for the rant. Had to let it out.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I should have put this in the 'season thread'. Apologies for the rant. Had to let it out.
    Actually, I thought it was a pretty good rant (except I think Phillips is actually playing OK - too bad he has no support).

This team has had the talent and skills to win the Cup for many years now - the problem has always been the 6" between their ears. Last year's horrible start was a good wake-up call, but after their quick start this year they seem to have reverted back to the "we don't need to work hard to win" attitude. I don't think it is a coincidence that they play terrible against the lower-level teams. The changes need to come from inside the dressing room - not from some trade deadline deal. I think Paddock has about a week to turn things around before Murray takes over...

... and Emery is a better goalie than Gerber. He needs an attitude adjustment as much (or more) than anyone else on the team, but in terms of talent there is really no comparison. I'm sure Murray and Paddock realize that, and with no other bonafide #1 goalies being available that is why he is still on the team and will probably be their goaltender for the playoffs.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Back on topic please. Sens discussion is in the other thread.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I know very little about hockey but you people live and breathe it. I just want to know what you think about the Penguins picking up Marian Hossa, do you think they traded away too much for someone that doesn't have to stay that long being a free agent next year (I've heard). Do you think they have more of a shot to beat some of your great teams because of this trade? Signed Hockey illiterate

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    I know very little about hockey but you people live and breathe it. I just want to know what you think about the Penguins picking up Marian Hossa, do you think they traded away too much for someone that doesn't have to stay that long being a free agent next year (I've heard). Do you think they have more of a shot to beat some of your great teams because of this trade? Signed Hockey illiterate
    Frank,

It was a major surprise that Hossa went to Pittsburgh. The Hockey world was sure he would end up in Montreal (with a slight possibility of Ottawa) but Pittsburgh ownership has decided to make a run at the cup this year obviously. I personally feel they paid way too much to get him, no one else was willing to come even close. I think that deal may have given them a shot at winning the East but get their butts kicked when they come up against Dallas, Anaheim or San Jose in the tough hitting West.

I do not think that Pittsburgh will be able to afford to keep him for next year, he will be asking for a lot of money and they have Crosby and Malkin to keep happy for the long term.

Just my thoughts, I am sure others will have differing opinions.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Back on topic please. Sens discussion is in the other thread.
    Hence my apology.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Hence my apology.
    No problem, I just didn't want others to start down that path.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Sorry, I've deleted my post.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Sorry, I've deleted my post.
    No reason to do that. I undeleted it. I was just trying to make sure we kept things on topic.

Now back to the topic!
    Colby

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I have to disagree. I think Price has consistently proved this year that he's up to the challenge. I would rather have him in there than Huet any day. He's also the type of guy who needs lots of playing time to excel. I love the fact that they got rid of Huet, BUT, they should have gotten more for him, especially given the shortage of quality goalies. They could have gotten more.
    I totally agree BUT I think Gainey got what he could for Huet. In other word, Huet was worth more but nobody was buying resulting in a lower price at the deadline. I think his error was that he got rid of him too late. Gainey is one of the best GMs in the league. It’s easy to criticise when we don’t know the facts.

Price was solid yesterday.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Frank,

It was a major surprise that Hossa went to Pittsburgh. The Hockey world was sure he would end up in Montreal (with a slight possibility of Ottawa) but Pittsburgh ownership has decided to make a run at the cup this year obviously. I personally feel they paid way too much to get him, no one else was willing to come even close. I think that deal may have given them a shot at winning the East but get their butts kicked when they come up against Dallas, Anaheim or San Jose in the tough hitting West.

I do not think that Pittsburgh will be able to afford to keep him for next year, he will be asking for a lot of money and they have Crosby and Malkin to keep happy for the long term.

Just my thoughts, I am sure others will have differing opinions.
    If Ottawa wakes up they are the team to beat. I don’t think Hossa will make that much of a difference with the Pens. It will be awesome to see but the big question mark is Fleury. Will he be able keep the team in the playoff on the long run? That being said, MTL and NJ might surprise lots of teams in the East.

As for Hossa not singing in Pits next year! We might be surprised. He might want less cash and stay with a contender team. I think he wanted out of Atlanta mainly cause the team is going nowhere. Who would not want to play with the youngest talented team in the league? Time will tell. Maybe the Habs will sign him in the off-season. Carbo mention yesterday before the game that they had the best offer but wanted to talk to Hossa’s agent. My guess was to ask how much Hossa wanted for his new contract. Atlanta said no to that request.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    If Ottawa wakes up they are the team to beat. I don’t think Hossa will make that much of a difference with the Pens. It will be awesome to see but the big question mark is Fleury. Will he be able keep the team in the playoff on the long run? That being said, MTL and NJ might surprise lots of teams in the East.

As for Hossa not singing in Pits next year! We might be surprised. He might want less cash and stay with a contender team. I think he wanted out of Atlanta mainly cause the team is going nowhere. Who would not want to play with the youngest talented team in the league? Time will tell. Maybe the Habs will sign him in the off-season. Carbo mention yesterday before the game that they had the best offer but wanted to talk to Hossa’s agent. My guess was to ask how much Hossa wanted for his new contract. Atlanta said no to that request.
    I agree that if Ottawa wakes and now with Murray back behind the bench the the team to beat in the east.Remember the team that has won the cup the last few years has never may a blockbuster trade at the deadline.And who knows how the chemistry will work for the pens with hossa .Crosby's good buddy getting traded.They said yesterday that everybody loved colby armstrong in the dressing room.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    For once I think the Leafs did as well as they could have given the situation. As for Hossa the Pens gave up way to much IMHO. He is for sure a rent a player and I don't think enough of one to allow the Pens to challenge for the cup this year. I have seen the Leafs do this time and time again....look how well that works. I was a little surprised that nothing significant happened in Ottawa however with the news today about Murray I guess they thought that was their only problem. Time will tell as always.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    For once I think the Leafs did as well as they could have given the situation. As for Hossa the Pens gave up way to much IMHO. He is for sure a rent a player and I don't think enough of one to allow the Pens to challenge for the cup this year. I have seen the Leafs do this time and time again....look how well that works. I was a little surprised that nothing significant happened in Ottawa however with the news today about Murray I guess they thought that was their only problem. Time will tell as always.
    Murray said he was looking at Nikolai Khabibulin but his wage of $6,750,000.00 next year would handcuff
    him with the salary cap next year.Pens to me overpaid big time unless they win the cup this year.

TSN are saying that Murray had a deal on the go that would have seen Gerber and Emery traded for Habibulin and Lalime

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    TSN are saying that Murray had a deal on the go that would have seen Gerber and Emery traded for Habibulin and Lalime
    That would have been Crazy Stupid for Chicago

Looks like the Pens may have really gotten burned...........Hossa just went knee on knee with Chara and left the game - no word yet on the extent of the damage

2 roster players
    1 top prospect
    1 1st round pick

could equal 1 period of Marian Hossa

How freaking bad would that suck??

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I guess that is why it didn't get done Chicago woke up and smelled the Timmies

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

Looks like the Pens may have really gotten burned...........Hossa just went knee on knee with Chara and left the game - no word yet on the extent of the damage

2 roster players
    1 top prospect
    1 1st round pick

could equal 1 period of Marian Hossa

How freaking bad would that suck??
    He has a grade 1 MCL sprain. He is out from 2 to 6 weeks

Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post

Blowhard McGuire on the Team 1200 this morning was asked about this and he wouldn't say what the reason was - he'd only say that it wasn't an appropriate topic for air.

Must be a serious personal issue.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information