100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favre Retires

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Favre Retires

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Somewhat disappointing after the season he had. But I bet his body is saying thank you.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    he knows his season was complete BS and that he could very likely go 3-13 this year so call it quits. Their schedule this year would have been pretty hard. Smart man, this was the closest he was ever going to get with this team again so good for him for realizing that and going out while he was still on top. Nothing more sad than a player who you love watching suck so bad taht you can't watch him anymore (jordan, gretz, mpare, indio) LOL
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    To me, this record is truly unbelievable:

In his final season, Favre also extended his quarterback-record streak of consecutive regular-season starts to 253 games -- illustrating his trademark toughness. Add the playoffs, and Favre's streak stands at 275.

Considering the nature of the sport, this record is incredible.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I put him on basically the same level as Barry Bonds. Coulda, shoulda, woulda retired a couple of years ago. But, there were personal milestones to achieve to entrench himself in the Hall of Fame.

I never could appreciate what he's done. I quite frankly am not impressed by anything he's done, and that's probably because I've never watched GB except for the playoffs.

His record of 275 straight might be impressive in football, but they play once a week I don't know if that's tough, maybe "football tough" but Cal Ripken's record is FAR more impressive to me. That's an ungodly record.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Favre had a great season. That you cannot see this probably explains why you will never take a cent from Indio or me.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    he knows his season was complete BS and that he could very likely go 3-13 this year so call it quits. Their schedule this year would have been pretty hard. Smart man, this was the closest he was ever going to get with this team again so good for him for realizing that and going out while he was still on top. Nothing more sad than a player who you love watching suck so bad taht you can't watch him anymore (jordan, gretz, mpare, indio) LOL
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post

His record of 275 straight might be impressive in football, but they play once a week I don't know if that's tough, maybe "football tough" but Cal Ripken's record is FAR more impressive to me. That's an ungodly record.

Fallys
    aka Scott

You have got to be kidding me. There is more physical wear and tear in one game of football than entire season of baseball.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. There is more physical wear and tear in one game of football than entire season of baseball.
    Maybe if you're a 25-30 carry running back....but if you're the QB behind a good O-line, you could conceivably go an entire game without being hit hard. Look at the Pats. Tom Brady was RARELY touched for the majority of the year.

Cal Ripken's record is sick. So is Favre's. IMO there's no need to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Maybe if you're a 25-30 carry running back....but if you're the QB behind a good O-line, you could conceivably go an entire game without being hit hard. Look at the Pats. Tom Brady was RARELY touched for the majority of the year.

Cal Ripken's record is sick. So is Favre's. IMO there's no need to compare.
    Well, from what I can remember, Favre rarely had a great o-line in front of him, and took a lot of hits due to the style of his play. I agree, comparisons are rather foolish, but I couldn't just sit there while someone said 275 consecutive nfl games was nothing compared to Ripken's streak.

It's the position he plays by comparison. Mental drain and wear and tear on a QB are probably far greater than anyone else on the field. But I just find for a QB, that would not be a record that impresses me as much as say, someone on an O-line and D-line. That would be miraculous.

Of the games I did see of Favre, I don't remember him getting knocked around much.

Baseball is actually not that bad a sport to compare this with, although the initial comparison was purely based on the longevity factor and not the grind of the sport.

Usually it doesn't take a lot to impress me lol, but this just doesn't as much as other records.

Fallys
    aka Scott

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    It's the position he plays by comparison. Mental drain and wear and tear on a QB are probably far greater than anyone else on the field. But I just find for a QB, that would not be a record that impresses me as much as say, someone on an O-line and D-line. That would be miraculous.

Of the games I did see of Favre, I don't remember him getting knocked around much.

Baseball is actually not that bad a sport to compare this with, although the initial comparison was purely based on the longevity factor and not the grind of the sport.

Usually it doesn't take a lot to impress me lol, but this just doesn't as much as other records.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Well, it's still impressive because they're talking like the streak will never be broken. I would think that's the definition of impressive. I think Manning still has a streak going, but other than that, nobody.

Anyways, I think that Favre is a touch overrated in a lot of analysts' eyes. Maybe it's just that we tend to focus on the present more than the past, but still playing are two QBs who will go down in history as (probably) better. Then there's Montana, Elway, Unitas, Marino etc.

Don't get me wrong, he's in the top ten right now, but like I said, Manning and Brady will probably end up being ranked a little higher. IMO

Playing 15+ seasons as a QB in the NFL without missing a game is a feat that will go unmatched - and likely never broken. Whether that is better than a baseball player playing that long is up for debate, but both are impressive. Consider how may QB's miss games every year and how easy it is to get hurt in a violent contact sport (let alone get the flu, etc.) and it's an amazing accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Favre had a great season. That you cannot see this probably explains why you will never take a cent from Indio or me.
    I could take indio right now... no need to even cap it. straight up
    willy

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Playing 15+ seasons as a QB in the NFL without missing a game is a feat that will go unmatched - and likely never broken. Whether that is better than a baseball player playing that long is up for debate, but both are impressive. Consider how may QB's miss games every year and how easy it is to get hurt in a violent contact sport (let alone get the flu, etc.) and it's an amazing accomplishment.
    Well said! Comparing a QB who has a ridiculous amount of mental strain, not to mention the pressure of having the ball EVERY play in comparison to an infielder is like apples to oranges.

Favres feat is VERY impressive.

I'm not sure how these stats make him overrated either...
    Favre currently possesses most of the well-known NFL career records for quarterbacks, including:
    • Most AP NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995, 1996, 1997)
    • Most consecutive starts by a quarterback (NFL): 253 (275 including playoffs)
    • Most wins by a starting quarterback (NFL) regular season career: 160
    • (Regular season record: 160-93)
    • Most career passing touchdowns: 442
    • Most career passing yards: 61,655
    • Most career pass completions: 5,377
    • Most career pass attempts: 8,758
    • Most career interceptions thrown: 288
    • Most career games with at least three touchdowns: 63

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Farves consecutive games played stat is impressive, but it's only a record for his position. Jim Marshall, who was a defensive end for the Vikes back in the Purple People Eaters era, played 282 games in a row. A DE playing 19 years without missing a start is incredible.

Favre is definitely a hall of famer, but I don't think he rates with Montana, Brady, Johnny U and a small few others at the very top. The interception number is key, he cost his team waaaaaaaaaay too many games. That doesn't diminish his record, he's still one of the best ever, just not in the super elite group.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, he's in the top ten right now, but like I said, Manning and Brady will probably end up being ranked a little higher. IMO
    Probably true...but these two guys have top players with them...Favre never had a super star to make him look so good!

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Farves consecutive games played stat is impressive, but it's only a record for his position. Jim Marshall, who was a defensive end for the Vikes back in the Purple People Eaters era, played 282 games in a row. A DE playing 19 years without missing a start is incredible.

Favre is definitely a hall of famer, but I don't think he rates with Montana, Brady, Johnny U and a small few others at the very top. The interception number is key, he cost his team waaaaaaaaaay too many games. That doesn't diminish his record, he's still one of the best ever, just not in the super elite group.
    Just curious...did he start those games?

[QUOTE=spackler;239843]Farves consecutive games played stat is impressive, but it's only a record for his position. Jim Marshall, who was a defensive end for the Vikes back in the Purple People Eaters era, played 282 games in a row. A DE playing 19 years without missing a start is incredible.
    QUOTE]

It is, especially since there is contact on every play. The thing to consider is there are a number of injuries you could still play with as a D-lineman - guys play with casts on their hands all the time. A QB could never play with a damaged hand, etc.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Just curious...did he start those games?
    Wiki says he did, take that for what it's worth though.

That's crazy. What's the average life of a defensive end. 3 seasons? That's an amazing stat..

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I never could appreciate what he's done. I quite frankly am not impressed by anything he's done,

What about Something About Mary? Now THAT was impressive.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

I don't really remember that movie much, so I'll have to say no lol.

I think that I'll try to find a football player to appreciate that John Madden doesn't have a huge man crush on (see Favre).

Fally
    aka Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    What about Something About Mary? Now THAT was impressive.
    I felt so bad for him after that performance. So horrible
    willy

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I don't really remember that movie much, so I'll have to say no lol.

I think that I'll try to find a football player to appreciate that John Madden doesn't have a huge man crush on (see Favre).

Fally
    aka Scott
    So you must just despise Tom Brady then because I think if Madden could, he would marry him.

Thread Information