CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by racmbs View Post
    Geoff:

Another thing we might want to factor in for this event was the amount of bugs Trillium had last year....after playing both days, I was high for a week after showering in bug spray. Aside from the bugs, love the course....hard not to want to play it.

Are there any other courses that we could consider for this event, that would be halfway for both sides competing? Somewhere in Kingston perhaps?

Would be great if some of you guys on this fourm in and around those areas could chime in with some suggestions.

As for the May 24/25 datesw though, I'd consider that pretty much firm.

I do remember the bugs being bad at certain times, but not as bad as I was led to believe. But as for a different venue, I can make some calls and see what's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Perhaps a two day event at Smuggler's Glenn??
    Not a bad idea, but I'll ask around and see what's available.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post

Not a bad idea, but I'll ask around and see what's available.
    It would be great if we could find a course that would allow caddies. It would allow more people from the forums to get involved and more huys for the after hour entertainment

As incentive to the course, I would be willing to pay the price of a cart to have a Caddy along.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Timber Ridge Ridge is a magnificent course and relatively inexpensive but would be about an hour further west for you guys.

http://timberridgegolf.net/Directions.html

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Are there any other courses that we could consider for this event, that would be halfway for both sides competing? Somewhere in Kingston perhaps?
    How far across the GTA was your team spread from? Half-way from Scarborough is different than half-way from Etobicoke for example.

Personally I'm fine with Trillium Wood since it's just about 3 hours from Ottawa. Smuggler's Glenn is an hour closer to us but then that puts it further for the TO guys.

According to the Google Earth overlay, I see the following courses between Belleville and Kingston. I haven't checked the websites for any of these yet.

Briar Fox
    Camden Braes
    Loyalist Estates
    Westbrook
    Amherstview
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I don't think you'll have a black fly problem unless there's a lot of rain followed by very calm conditions on the day you play. Last year it wasn't so bad cause it was breezy and kept the bugs at bay. The funny thing was at Blackbear Ridge just next door there was no black fly problem, there was a deer fly problem even though the traps kept them to a minimum.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Smuggler's Glenn would be an amazing place to do a two dayer like this. Cool place to stay and an unbeilevable golf course.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Just took a look at the web page for Westbrook and it doesn't look particularly nice.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Why don't you consider playing Trillium Wood one day and Black Bear Ridge the next?

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Why don't you consider playing Trillium Wood one day and Black Bear Ridge the next?

We get a better deal on green fees if we play the same course both days.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Smuggler's Glenn would be an amazing place to do a two dayer like this. Cool place to stay and an unbeilevable golf course.

Smuggler's in nice, but costly. I think it's up to $70+ per round. Where we got both our rounds for $88 last year.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    What's 50$ more bucks!! Maybe they would give us a group deal as well? I just think it would be nice to play somewhere new!

What's 50$ more bucks!! Maybe they would give us a group deal as well? I just think it would be nice to play somewhere new!
    It would be different if it was only $10 or $20, but $50 more is getting up there. I'll call them but no guarantees. There are some other nice courses around there, I'll have to do some searching. But I'm still a fan of Trillum. racmbs and I will have to chat about this.

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

Briar Fox - Recently renovated club house. Lay out is not bad. Fairways are usually in ruff shape as the irrigation is not good and there is little water around the course. This also effects the greens.
    Camden Braes - Lay out is not bad. Fairways are usually in ruff shape as the irrigation is not good. Water is used on the greens sparingly.
    Loyalist Estates - Nice facilities and course conditions are good.
    Westbrook - have not played there.
    Amherstview - Lay out is not bad. Fairways are usually in ruff shape as the irrigation is not good. Water is used on the greens sparingly.
    See above
    TWoody
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Quote Originally Posted by TWoody View Post
    See above
    TWoody

Thanks for the description TW.

This place actually offers stay and play packages, and it would allow us to play on two different courses.

http://www.ottawagolf.com/thousandislands/index.htm

Probably not too much further than Smugglers, although I haven't goole mapped it yet.

Just checked it out, it may a bit far for the TO boys to travel to.

This place actually offers stay and play packages, and it would allow us to play on two different courses.

Probably not too much further than Smugglers, although I haven't goole mapped it yet.

Maybe we (read you and racmbs) can make an agreement that one year if it is closer for us, the next year it is closer for them. It would broaden course availability. I didn't mind Tillium at all but I am not against playing other courses either Hell, I am sure that most guys would be willing to do the cup on a home and home basis. One year in TO the next in Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Maybe we (read you and racmbs) can make an agreement that one year if it is closer for us, the next year it is closer for them. It would broaden course availability. I didn't mind Tillium at all but I am not against playing other courses either Hell, I am sure that most guys would be willing to do the cup on a home and home basis. One year in TO the next in Ottawa.

Something to discuss.

As for Smugglers, pretty sure it's out. Just checked the website and weekend rates are $85+tax. That's getting a little steep.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Smuggler's Glenn would work for me cause It's someplace new and it has decent Google earth pictures to scope out the course. This is not to say I wouldn't be perfectly happy playing T.Woods cause it's a nice course and very close to where I'll be staying.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

... and there might be border issues for some people who don't have a current passport.

Champion racmbs is on a distinguished road racmbs's Avatar
    Something to discuss.

As for Smugglers, pretty sure it's out. Just checked the website and weekend rates are $85+tax. That's getting a little steep.
    Appreciate all you guys have done so far for researching and providing feedback.

I guess at this point it's probably best to just leave well enough alone and keep the event booked at Trillium Woods. The course is great, it's not too far for us and they were very good at accomodating out little event last year.

Bob,
    Can you have a chat with the folks at at TW and see if we can arrange to have either the same playing fee as last year, or maybe a bit better, seeing as we are coming back?

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Bob,
    Can you have a chat with the folks at at TW and see if we can arrange to have either the same playing fee as last year, or maybe a bit better, seeing as we are coming back?
    They called me about a month ago and penciled in the date. They have been waiting for a confirmation before inking it. I will get with them tomorrow and ask about the price and PM ya.
    TWoody
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    If there is a qualifier, I would be interested in participating.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 geronamo is on a distinguished road
    Would TW be able to swing us any good rates with accomodation?

I see they have some stay and play packages on their website. Would it be beneficial to go this route or is it cheaper to book the golf and accomodations separately?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2007 & 2009 OTTAWA GOLF RYDER CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    If there is a qualifier, I would be interested in participating.
    Craiger, get a PM into Geoff Johnston telling him you are interested.

UPDATE!

After deliberations, the dates are May 24 & 25 for the event. The venue will once again be Trilluim Wood.

Hopefully everyone's game will be in tip top shape to keep the trophy here in Ottawa.

UPDATE!

After deliberations, the dates are May 24 & 25 for the event. The venue will once again be Trilluim Wood.

Hopefully everyone's game will be in tip top shape to keep the trophy here in Ottawa.
    Thats great Geoff. When I start back to work on Monday I will be sure to book the Friday and possibly the Monday off!

Thanks for organizing this again big guy and you too RACMBS

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    UPDATE!

Awesome! I am pretty sure I'll be taking the friday off this time too for an extra round
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    Awesome! I am pretty sure I'll be taking the friday off this time too for an extra round
    I sense these words will have a double meaning if we end up getting a Fridaygame in together.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I think it could be a lot more expensive.....
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

I have a little update for all of those that are interested. There will be a format change this year.

First day: Front nine will be alternate shot, second nine will be best ball.

But here's where the change comes in. For day two, we will have a full 18 holes of singles match play.

Here's how it will work:

Handicaps will be limited to 18 for a single player. Team caps will be made up using the following formula:

Player A's cap + Player's B cap= XX divide by 2= XX multiply by 75%= Team handicap. And we will either do the same as last year (play OG team seed #1 vs TGN seed #1 or perhaps the same formula as below for the singles play).

For the singles, the players will be divided into groups of six (lowest capped player seeded 1, second best seeded 2 and so on) based on their current cap at the time caps are required to be submitted. The captains will then determine the order of announcing their team for the singles with captain 1 naming a player, then captain 2 replying with a player of his choice from within that same group of six players. This way (hopefully), no one will have to give up too many strokes in the singles play. This is a format change I am eagerly looking forward to. I think it will add another great dimension to this already exciting event.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 geronamo is on a distinguished road
    What a great idea....

Hoolio isn't exactly the lightest character and my back was getting pretty sore from carrying him for two full rounds.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2007 & 2009 OTTAWA GOLF RYDER CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

Thread Information