CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Ruling on "Bizarre Rules Question"

While I agree that the question was inappropriate, the idea of purposely distracting another player is worthy of consideration. More than once have I seen this happen and while some forms of it have been subtle, others have been more overt. There are players who, when involved in matches, will stand in certain positions or cast a shadow across a players line, deliberately, or, make specific comments trying to distract opponents, in order to gain some sick advantage.

Situations like this are covered by Rule 33-7, and specifically Decision 33-7/8 which describes what a "Serious Breach of Etiquette" is. A light sentence is immediate disqualification, but suspension from further participation in that organizations tournaments often follows.

Years ago in the Earl Grey at Petawawa, a member of that club and another from Pembroke had a side bet going. On the 18th tee, the Petawawa member, a tough as nails soldier, threw his bag on the ground as the Pembroke player was swinging, trying to distract him, but fortunately, the players drive was perfect and he won the side bet. He would have been DQ'd had we known the rules.

Even if we did not have 33/7, we have 1-4, and there is no doubt that a ruling of disqualification would be the one made, "in accordance with equity," otherwise, there are some evil individuals who would do whatever they could, to win.

Another classic example happened to sphere hunter a couple of years ago in the Intersectionals matches where his opponent did a number of things worthy of his being DQ'd. Again, had we been up on the rules, the guy would have been toast. I won't ask SH to relate that story here again, as his nightmares have just started to go away, but it was unbelievable.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Thanks for restructuring this into a valid question BCMist.

I have never experienced this. I have been fortunate to play my 2 intersecional matches with real gentlemen. I can only imagine what that must be like.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    yes thank you for restructuring this into a valid question. Although how is intent to distract dtermined? Could the person doing the distracting not argue that he didn't know or that him taking his shoes off while putting distracted the other person?? What about wearing very loud and ugly colors? i wouldn't be able to focus if the person i was playing with was dressed in a ridic way...
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

In most competitions there is a dress code set by the committee.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I think the only way for this kind of ruling to be made would be to involve an official.

Let's say your FC started to try and mess with you and you ask him to stop and he doesn't. At that point I would immediately get an official involved since it becomes a case of your word against his unless there is a third player that can attest to the behaviour.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    In most competitions there is a dress code set by the committee.
    yes, isn't it soft spikes, slacks and a collared shirt? Does it say anything about a BLING belt, the ugliest loudest shirt ever?

Also, I think Jvin is right, you can't be booted because someone says you did something, the offical would have to see you do it right?

can you take your shoes off on the green.. if i tell you that I putt better with my shoes off because it gives me a feel for the green is that allowed? Sure there is a rule about golf shoes but people take them off when they have to step into the water so why not on the green. If you are allowed to take your shoes off, what if your FC complaints that its distracting to him? then what?
    willy

Section I Etiquette

The Spirit of the Game

Golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf.

Consideration for Other Players

No Disturbance or Distraction
    Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

Conclusion; Penalties for Breach

If players follow the guidelines in this Section, it will make the game more enjoyable for everyone.
    If a player consistently disregards these guidelines during a round or over a period of time to the detriment of others, it is recommended that the Committee consider taking appropriate disciplinary action against the offending player. Such action may, for example, include prohibiting play for a limited time on the course or in a certain number of competitions. This is considered to be justifiable in terms of protecting the interests of the majority of golfers who wish to play in accordance with these guidelines.
    In the case of a serious breach of etiquette, the Committee may disqualify a player under Rule 33-7.

i don't think any of that covers my shoes question. you can take your shoes off while putting and if the guy has a problem to bad???
    willy

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Thanks Dan , you covered the point I was going to make , the distracting actions itself "breach of ettiquette" isnt a DQ offence , doing it repeatedly may well be

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Years ago as a student, I used to play barefooted. I started doing so, because of problems with my golf shoes. After a while, though, I began to enjoy playing that way. This love affair with the turf continued until I stepped on a bee. Getting stung on the bottom of the foot cured my enthusiasm for this golf au naturel approach. No course official ever told me that I could not do this. Maybe, it was the laid back early seventies, or maybe it was the courses I played (it couldn't have been that, as the Whirlpool Golf Course was one of the tracks I frequented). One's thing's for sure, I wasn't trying to distract my FCs.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

SW, you said your antics were to distract the player. DQ dude.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Years ago as a student, I used to play barefooted. I started doing so, because of problems with my golf shoes. After a while, though, I began to enjoy playing that way. This love affair with the turf continued until I stepped on a bee. Getting stung on the bottom of the foot cured my enthusiasm for this golf au naturel approach. No course official ever told me that I could not do this. Maybe, it was the laid back early seventies, or maybe it was the courses I played (it couldn't have been that, as the Whirlpool Golf Course was one of the tracks I frequented). One's thing's for sure, I wasn't trying to distract my FCs.
    Then why did you always stand up wind of them?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Then why did you always stand up wind of them?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    SW, you said your antics were to distract the player. DQ dude.
    You have to prove that taking his shoes off is to intentionally detract his FC witch is impossible to prove. Unless there is a ruling specifically stating that you cannot play golf without shoes, he can’t be DQ’d for that. Like Mpare, the player might prefer playing or putting without shoes. That’s his right and if that bothers you well that your problem and you must deal with it IMO.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Then DQ for undue delay ........ and no doubt for breaching Conditions Of Competition , dresscode

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    You have to prove that taking his shoes off is to intentionally detract his FC witch is impossible to prove.
    Mike
    He stated that was the exact reason for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Is there any rule in golf that prevents a man from dressing up like a woman and playing a round of golf if the purpose is the distract his FC or to make them uncomfortable?

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    He stated that was the exact reason for doing it.
    Nothing from this quote has anything to do with playing without shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly
    Is there any rule in golf that prevents a man from dressing up like a woman and playing a round of golf if the purpose is the distract his FC or to make them uncomfortable?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Nothing from this quote has anything to do with playing without shoes!
    He's right Dan. SW's quote is about playing without huevos, not without shoes.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information