100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: airports

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

airports

I am flying to corpus christi today. So far it is 7pm and I have made it as far as Detroit. My flight leaving Ottawa was delayed, forcing me to miss my connection to Houston. Of course, now my flight to Houston that I was rebooked on has been delayed and will get me there, by 10:20PM or so they say. If it's any later than that I am sure I will be spending the night in Houston - likely without my luggage. If I make it to CC, then I will arrive sometime around midnight, and likely to the hotel by 1am. That will be 13.5 hours after leaving my house today.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    this should lead to some good stories... I have number myself

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    My best.

Left the hotel in Bangalore for the airport at noon. During monsoon season. All flights to Bombay are delayed. We eventually get on a flight, on a completely different airline, that if all goes well will allow us to make our midnight connection in Bombay.

We spend an hour on the runway waiting for clearance and then circle for who knows how long circling before we land. Get driven through town from the domestic terminal to the international and hustle to the gate, arriving at 12:05. The nice KLM lady explains that our flight has pushed back on time and she will TRY to get us on tomorrows flight.

We turn to look at the departure board and see that there are Air France, BA, and Lufthansa flights that leave after hours. She can't transfer the tickets but they are refundable. That's all I need to hear.

The guy I'm with heads to Lufthansa (fully booked) and I head to BA. Which has room! Two credit card denials later, passage is booked to Ottawa. We are in the last two seats in the tail of the 747 and 12 hours (?) later we arrive at Heathrow. We head for our flight and sure enough they have spilled fuel while filling the plane so there is a delay while they clean up. The pilot tells us that they are going to bump us from our takeoff slot and we will be delayed two hours. Just as he is finished saying that he says "Wait, they're letting us go now, everyone sit down." and he starts taxing.

We land in Toronto, around noon I think, and flights are a disaster because of thunderstorms. I manage to get the last seat on the 4PM to Ottawa and eventually get to my place at around 7PM local time. The next day.

I think when you do the math it works out to something like 36 hours of travel time.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

i think i have you beat flying back from Barcelona last year but I have to run to get on my flight...................

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    My best.

Left the hotel in Bangalore for the airport at noon. During monsoon season. All flights to Bombay are delayed. We eventually get on a flight, on a completely different airline, that if all goes well will allow us to make our midnight connection in Bombay.

We spend an hour on the runway waiting for clearance and then circle for who knows how long circling before we land. Get driven through town from the domestic terminal to the international and hustle to the gate, arriving at 12:05. The nice KLM lady explains that our flight has pushed back on time and she will TRY to get us on tomorrows flight.

We turn to look at the departure board and see that there are Air France, BA, and Lufthansa flights that leave after hours. She can't transfer the tickets but they are refundable. That's all I need to hear.

The guy I'm with heads to Lufthansa (fully booked) and I head to BA. Which has room! Two credit card denials later, passage is booked to Ottawa. We are in the last two seats in the tail of the 747 and 12 hours (?) later we arrive at Heathrow. We head for our flight and sure enough they have spilled fuel while filling the plane so there is a delay while they clean up. The pilot tells us that they are going to bump us from our takeoff slot and we will be delayed two hours. Just as he is finished saying that he says "Wait, they're letting us go now, everyone sit down." and he starts taxing.

We land in Toronto, around noon I think, and flights are a disaster because of thunderstorms. I manage to get the last seat on the 4PM to Ottawa and eventually get to my place at around 7PM local time. The next day.

I think when you do the math it works out to something like 36 hours of travel time.
    Bangalore!!! I was there 5 years ago. Even played golf - check pictures at: http://www.rochonsimard.com/Voyages/Inde/index6.html

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Leaving Victoria to get back to Ottawa.

Left the house at woke up at 430am for a 645 flight. Got to the airport to find out the flight had been cancelled. We were put on a 930 flight to Vancouver. Got onto that plane, sat out on the tarmac for about 45 minutes, and were then told that we had to get off because of technical difficulties. By the time we made finallly got out of Victoria, it was nearly 1pm.

Now, this is where my memory gets a little hazy. At this point we had missed our flight out of Vancouver. I cant remember whether they sent us on to Calgary or not. If I recall, they put us on a 4 oclock flight to Calgary, where we then hopped on a 7 oclock flight to Ottawa. However it happened, we didn't get into Ottawa until Midnight local time, and got home about 45 minutes later. So, from door to door, it was about a 17 hour trip.

well, i got here, 13.5 hours later. I was thinking when I was sitting in Detroit and realized I could have driven there from Ottawa in about the same time as flying and waiting.

Thread Information