100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Question Golf Quebec Spring Open Qualifier

It’s at Brockville CC. Has anybody every played there? What type of course is it. Greens, fats, small? What type of grass? Fairways wide? Long course? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Gap Wedge rowsie is on a distinguished road
    yes i have and let me tell you its a tough course... it has elevation in it.. alot of tough shots that u have to hit,,, greens are very fast and have a lot of slope in them, im not sure what type of grass they have there but its very nice,, carpet like,,, fairways are not wide , its a tight course,, theres a lot of holes where you should be leaving driver in the bag and hitting a 3 wood or even iron,,, and yeah it can play pretty long escecially if wind gets gusting there... theres alot of aproach shots up hill so take that into consideration,,, also liek i said the greens can be very fast ...

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Mike, by the sounds of it you should do just fine.Sounds like H.P.lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Mike, by the sounds of it you should do just fine.Sounds like H.P.lol.
    Ya but it’s a bit early for me in the season. I still have lots of rust in early May. That’s my mane excuse every year stopping me from entering.

I talked to my club Pro today and he told me that he will not get the registration forms until April. Isn’t that late? If so, is there any other way to register?

Mike

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Mike:

You have to register for QGA events directly through the QGA. You can pay using PayPal through their website.

I imagine it will be the OVGA posters that will not be up before Mid-Late April. I believe the OVGA captains meeting is usually around mid-April.

Garth

Are you going Garth?

Have not decided yet. Long way to go to blow $75. It was one thing to have it in close to the city, especially if you want a practice round. I've heard good things about the course though from my ex-pats at LVM.

I’m still not sure either. Let me know. We could drive up together. I gather Thom will play?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    It’s at Brockville CC. Has anybody every played there? What type of course is it. Greens, fats, small? What type of grass? Fairways wide? Long course? Any info would be appreciated.Mike
    Mike, BCC is one of my favourite clubs in the area as it a classic shot makers course where you will likely use every club in your bag. Being able to maneuver the ball is tremendously advantageous. The yardage of 6300 is short by modern standards, however, it is one of the longest 6300 yard courses you will play. It is not dissimilar to HP where accuracy is more important than distance, and it has some huge elevation changes.

The greens will run about 10-11 on the stimp, and vary from flat and smooth to, "Don't be above the hole." #2 at only 278 yards, IMO, is the toughest hole on which to make a birdie and an easy hole on which to make a bogey. 10 of the holes have doglegs.

A game beforehand would be wise.

I enjoy the course much better in their July seniors when we play from the "ladies" tees. One advantage of being old(er).

Mike:

Registration is open at http://www.golfquebec.org/en/tournois.asp ou http://www.golfquebec.org/fr/tournois.asp si tu préfère...

Register now to ensure you get in!!! (I mean so you have to play ;-)...)

G.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Mike:

Registration is open at http://www.golfquebec.org/en/tournois.asp ou http://www.golfquebec.org/fr/tournois.asp si tu préfère...

Register now to ensure you get in!!! (I mean so you have to play ;-)...)

G.
    R U registering? I need a partner to drive up.

Mike

Bouche
    IS the qualifier in brockville full?

Highly unlikely. I have never seen more than about 40-50 people playing in the Ottawa area. Deadline is May 2nd to register.

Good luck if you enter.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I was thinking of giving one of these evnts a try... but just curious, what type of scores do most guys shoot. No need to embarass myself if everyone is shooting low 70's...

Thanks

Results from prior years is available at www.golfquebec.org. You need to be a member of the QGA (either through your course or though their public player programme).

Putter Golf Drunk is on a distinguished road

BCC Course Management

Was a member at the BCC for 12 years and have always enjoyed the course. This course is all about positioning and can take strokes quickly from a good round. Front nine has 4 birdie holes and your in good shape if you play conservative until #7. Anything below +3 is decent for the front nine as you can make up some ground on the back. Play conservative on the final 3 holes. If you are a good putter and play irons well this course will reward you.

Here's a break down of how I would play the course:

#1 Par 5 - Although tempting keep the driver in the bag unless you can fly the bunkers at 270 or so. Long iron in to the front of the green - don't go past the pin.
    #2 Par 4 - 4/5 iron to left side of fairway, uphill second shot to 2-tier green - don't go long and expect to par.
    #3 Par 3 - 3-4 iron to right centre of green - don't go left.
    #4 Par 5 - Driver to left side of fairway, cuts the corner and gives you a chance to hit it in 2. Green breaks to the railway tracks. Watch your approach shot if the wind is up.
    #5 Par 4 - 3 wood or long iron to middle of fairway, landing area is narrow so favor left side. 9 or PW approach. Be happy with par, this hole does not birdie as much as you would think. Usually wind is behind you, so club down if needed.
    #6 Par 4 DLR - 3 wood to top of hill, ideally left centre, PW approach, aim for middle of green and don't be short as ball will roll down hill. Be sure to hit past the corner otherwise your going in blind.
    #7 Par 5 DLR - Aim just right of corner tree (left side). Do not fly corner. As you can't hit this green in 2, play position on second shot and play for left side of fairway with a 4-5 iron. SW approach, this is a birdie hole.
    #8 Par 4 - Easy par 4 with emphasis on 2nd shot in. Play a 3 iron off the tee to left-center with a PW or SW to the green. Another birdie hole to enjoy.
    #9 Par 3 - 9i or PW, this is a short but testing par 3 with highway traffic beside you. Pin placements can be cut close to bunker so aim for middle of small green and be happy with par.

Bouche
    welcome to the forum. thanks for the breakdown! solid first post

Golf Drunk:

Any info on the back 9? 16 plays as the #2 hdcp hole so there must be something to watch for there no?

Thanks for the info on the front. Does not look like I will get to play a practice round, so going in blind, having never played BCC before.

GarthM

Too bad these qualifiers are not on weekends!!! Not all of us can get days off so easily to play... I am sure they would get more golfers if they held it on a Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Too bad these qualifiers are not on weekends!!! Not all of us can get days off so easily to play... I am sure they would get more golfers if they held it on a Sunday
    They may get more golfers, but they would never get the courses to offer up their tracks for the day. It's an unfortunate reality. Most tournaments in this area (OVGA or QGA) seem to be on Mondays or other "slow" days from the golf course's perspective.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I just checked the draw for Brockville and surprising there are only 43 entrants.
    Good luck Garth and we'll see you there

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I just checked the draw for Brockville and surprising there are only 43 entrants.
    Good luck Garth and we'll see you there

Not all that surprising really if you compare it to prior year events in the Ottawa area for the Spring Open Qualifier. It's pretty much on par with what I have seen the last 3-4 years.

See you there Gerry.

Garth

I am wondering what the scores are usually like at these events? And what does the winner qualify for? Are other spots awarded to 2nd, 3rd 4th etc...

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    I am wondering what the scores are usually like at these events? And what does the winner qualify for? Are other spots awarded to 2nd, 3rd 4th etc...
    This event is the qualifier for the Golf Quebec Spring Open held at Beaconsfield in Montreal at the end of May. Amateurs (members of Golf Quebec), Club Professionals, and Canadian Touring Professionals are eligible to compete once they qualify for the field. In order to do this there are several options. Top 30 from last years event, plus other exemptions from Golf Quebec are one way, but the most popular is attending one of 6 qualie sites. Usually the top 5 from each site will auto qualify, then the field may be filled in by one or 2 more once the Tournament director sees the field.

Qualifying Scores range from high 60's at some sites to mid 70's at other sites. It is May, weather usually plays a factor somewhere, and everyone is still getting the winter rust off.

Oh, the scores from the qualifiers also count towards the current year differential. you need a minimum of 2 designated rounds for the current year to qualify for the Tunis, Duke of Kent, Quebec Amateur and othre events at the provincial level. If your combined differential is above 4.5 (i.e 73-rating 71.5=1.5 x 2 rounds = 3) then you probably are not going to get into the provincial majors. This number is determined using the course rating as determined by the tournament commitee for that round, and during the course of the schedule for the specified year, your best 2 rounds in designated tournament play are used to calculate you differential. For 2008, the designated rounds would have been any designated Golf Quebec tournaments, or OVGA Class A designated rounds from June 1 2007 to May 31, 2008.

Check the Golf Quebec website for complete info and explaination.

The qualifier in Brockville also counts towards the OVGA Men's Class A ladder, which determines entry and tee times for OVGA events, which is administered here in the region...

Hope I have shed some light on this for you.

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Not all that surprising really if you compare it to prior year events in the Ottawa area for the Spring Open Qualifier. It's pretty much on par with what I have seen the last 3-4 years.

See you there Gerry.

Garth
    Play well at Brockville Garth, good field, I am heading to Dorval since I haven't seen Brockville and have played Dorval's new set up last year.

Yeah, I saw your name on the Dorval draw and was a bit surprised. Play well and we'll see you at Outaouais.

Putter Golf Drunk is on a distinguished road

BCC Back 9

Here's a quick summary of what to expect on the B9 at the BCC:

10 - Par 4, Bring out the driver and keep it right center. Play to the middle of the green with likely a mid iron. Play for the par.
    11 - Par 4 DL, Hit an 3 iron to middle left. Stay away from going to far right off the tee as this leaves an side lie for your approach. Play a 7-9 iron to below the cup, you don't want to be long or above the hole. Par is good here, get birdie and your up on the field.
    12 - Par4 DL, Play a 3W off the tee, aim just over the trees on left if you need birdie. Otherwise play an iron and aim for middle right. Don't be left on your approach as a tree blocks the green. Stay right off the tee and you'll have a good chance at birdie.
    13 - Par5 - although it's short, don't go for the green in 2. Play a 3w or iron off the tee and aim for the pine just to left of the hill. Lay up with a 5i and be aggressive on the 3rd. This is a birdie hole.
    14 - Par4 - play a 3/4i to the right side of the fairway and watch for the wind. Don't be left as the creek is full of rocks and can kick your ball OB. Aim for right bunker. SW/PW approach to an uphill green. The approach is slightly deceiving so play the yardage, alot of player's end up short b/c it's shorter than it really is. Big birdie hole.
    15 - Par 3, this can be a tough par 3 if the wind is up. I usually play a 4-5i depending on the wind and aim for right middle. Don't under club as there is big water on right. Long left is ok if you hit a miss. Play for par.
    16 - Par 4 DL, give yourself enough club off the tee. I use 3W as you don't want to be through the fairway. Aim for middle and don't cut the corner to tight. Play to middle right of green to take tree and bunker out of play on the approach. This is a fun hole that doesn't give up to many birdies.
    17 - Downhill Par 3, club down at least a full club maybe 1 1/2 if the wind is behind you. Play for right middle and aim for right bunker if wind is up. Don't go left as tree and cart path can put you OB very fast. Par is good but birdie can happen if wind is down. I usually play a 7 or 8iron.
    18 - Driver off tee to left middle, aim to fly the small hill on left. To far right can lead to a blocked approach. Always be below the hole as this is the trickiest green on the course. Better to be short and have a straight uphill putt then be long or sideways as there is slope on this green.

The course rewards patience and good iron play. On all par 5s play position and I promise birdies. Play for pars on the 3s and go for birdies on 1, 4, 7,8, 13, 14.

Play well.

Bouche
    Thanks Drunk. I might go out tomorrow if I can get off work. I think I need a practice round before I tee off on monday.

What are the greens rolling at right now? say fast! say fast!

Bouche
    hmmmmm.....studying your tips looks like I dont even need my driver in the bag. Might pull out the trusty old Ping TiSi for monday...shorter but straight as an arrow (sometimes ).

Thread Information