100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast
    Putter suzukawoods is on a distinguished road
    I wonder applying a reflective tape to the driver/3wd/hybrid would help with the accuracy perhaps?

Putter rgt50wood is on a distinguished road
    Hello fellow golfers!
    I'm new at golf and have taken a few golf lessons. All I need now is lots of practice.
    I fell on your website and learned about Optishot. It looks like the right product to practice on since I don't have much time ( yet ) to get to the golf course.
    One question: ...Where is the best place to purchase Optishot ( I'm in Canada ) and if I purchase it from the USA ( Dancindogg.com ) how much duty and clearance charges should I expect to pay?
    Thanks

Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukawoods View Post
    I wonder applying a reflective tape to the driver/3wd/hybrid would help with the accuracy perhaps?
    I tried it and is doesn't work any better. My hybrids are pretty accurate, the 3 wood is a little long and driver is off if the ball is teed up. Try driver right off the mat, the reflective surface of the driver is much closer to the sensors and minimizes any potential for mis-reads.

Quote Originally Posted by rgt50wood View Post
    Hello fellow golfers!
    I'm new at golf and have taken a few golf lessons. All I need now is lots of practice.
    I fell on your website and learned about Optishot. It looks like the right product to practice on since I don't have much time ( yet ) to get to the golf course.
    One question: ...Where is the best place to purchase Optishot ( I'm in Canada ) and if I purchase it from the USA ( Dancindogg.com ) how much duty and clearance charges should I expect to pay?
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum rgt, lots of great information and knowledgeable people here(or so they think!).

I'm not sure there is a Canadian dealer yet, I bought mine through e-bay, you will need to pay GST on the purchase price + duty, it will run you approx. $90-$100 for both.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

optishot.ca

$399 at Optishot.ca based out of Edmonton. Through the States Allsports sell it at $300 however with exchange, duties etc. it will cost the same. Pull the trigger on this as it is a great product.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Hey guys -

Two things...

1) Bethpage is available now. I just opened Optishot and when it checked for a new version it came up prompting me to see if I wanted to download Bethpage. It's almost done downloading now.

2) As far as where to buy, GO THROUGH PAR2PRO (the site at www.optishot.ca)! Cory is the fellow there, and he is a FANTASTIC person to deal with. I've had loads of simulator-related questions over the past few months and he has been incredibly knowledgable and has spent a lot of time replying to my questions in detail. Amazing guy, so support him! His price looks great right now, but even if you find the device a bit cheaper elsewhere, spend the extra to get support from him. It's worth a bit more for that easily.

Putter rgt50wood is on a distinguished road
    Thank you... TA, Bubba, RDH.
    You were very helpful !!

Bethpage Black

Boys, just downloaded and playing Bethpage Black. Awesome to say the least. Good job by Optishot/Simway. Now that we have this course what do we expect next? Very, very happy with Optishot.

rgt50wood your welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Boys, just downloaded and playing Bethpage Black. Awesome to say the least. Good job by Optishot/Simway. Now that we have this course what do we expect next? Very, very happy with Optishot.

rgt50wood your welcome. I hope you enjoy it.
    I agree, they have done a great job on Bethpage, I have heard it will be Pebble Beach next.... probably in the fall.

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    Bethpage looks great. I can't wait to play it.
    I should be able to get a round in Thursday night before heading for the open on Friday.
    Dancin Dogg comes through again, releasing it before the promised date.
    These guys are good!

Agreed

I agree. I can't wait to watch the open. Feels like i've played it already. Enjoy the open.

Too bad about todays open round at Bethpage. With all the rain in the forcast they may have to play Bethpage indoors with the Optishot simulator.

Lob Wedge guyincognito is on a distinguished road
    I've been looking into a golf simulator. Thanks to you guys, it sounds like the optishot is definitely the way to go. I just read through this entire post...wow, lots of good info.

In terms of realism, how well does this do with poor shots? I've read that it doesn't detect thin shots. What about a shank?

Are you able to do a flop shot?

I'm now pretty convinced that I want to get one of these, but just need to figure out where I could set it up...

I had issues early on (if you read my posts!) but those got sorted out and I would highly recommend the optishot. It has limitations simply because it can't monitor the ball launch angle, which is needed for fat / thin shots or detecting if you hit a flop shot (i.e. if you increase/decrease the club loft by altering your swing, it can't detect that). The software has some features to help compensate for that - i.e. if you want to punch the ball, you click on-screen to tell the software you're hitting a "low" shot and it then adjusts the loft accordingly. Similar for a flop shot - you can set it to say you're hitting a "high" shot. Obviously this isn't perfect, and because it can't detect some of these things I find a score better on Optishot than in "real" golf, but for the $400 or so price tag, I consider the value to be incredibly high. Long-term I am considering options like Golftek (which tracks launch angle) but you're getting into the $5,000-$10,000 range for something like that, so it's a heck of a lot more to invest to increase the realism.

Originally I had ruled out simulators using real clubs/balls as I didn't know where I'd set it up, but I hadn't thought of the garage as an option. I now have a screen set up out there and am pulling out the pad and using foam balls when I use it (they just ricochet around and don't hurt anything). I do have a cage and net I plan to set up out there to hit real balls (or maybe the AlmostGolf balls) but I need to rig something up so it can easily fold out of the way when not in use (so we can still park a vehicle in there. Our garage isn't insulated, so I'm getting quotes to have that done and then I'll look at heating options so I can continue to play over the winter. Once you get going on this stuff it can really snowball as you think about all the possibilities to get it set up right!

Lob Wedge guyincognito is on a distinguished road
    Ok, so you you just have to select that you will be doing a flop shot. I thought it might be able to determine that a flop shot was done based on club face angle, but that might be some pretty complicated software to figure that out. You don't want it to impart a 70 mph clubhead speed when trying to hit a 20 yard flop shot.

Yes I can imagine this fun little $350 device turning into thousands invested in nets, pads, projector, dedicated computer...

Has anyone taken this to a driving range and compared the ball flight and distance? It sounds pretty accurate, but I think it would be interesting to have a real life comparison.

The device won't work outdoors as sunlight affects it (you need to use it in an area where sunlight can be blocked out well) so taking it to the range isn't really an option.

I agree. It is accurate on measuring your swing speed and face angle. That is translated in to a ball flight. Fat shots measure less speed and thus reduced distance. Thin shots are not picked up well. Is it perfect? No simulator is perfect. How do you reproduce thick rough, bad lies, sand, divots etc? The simulator does adjust for those and I think is pretty accurate. As a device to hone your swing, have fun with the family and simply enjoy a game at home, I would absolutely recommend it. If you are a teaching pro and require more stats such as launch angle etc, you can use it but would require a launch monitor in addition to the Optishot.

To get the simulator set up you would not have to spend thousands.
    Computer $600 ( or cheaper get desktop or laptop with good dedicated graphics card)
    Screen $140 (or cheaper with a white sheet to project on)
    Projector $500
    Optishot $400
    Net $150 (optional for real balls)

You could get these items used and spend less. I use the Almost P3 balls which are great and feel real.
    Last edited by bubba22; 06-22-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Gap Wedge enconicado is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    To get the simulator set up you would not have to spend thousands.
    Computer $600 ( or cheaper get desktop or laptop with good dedicated graphics card)
    Screen $140 (or cheaper with a white sheet to project on)
    Projector $500
    Optishot $400
    Net $150 (optional for real balls)

You could get these items used and spend less. I use the Almost P3 balls which are great and feel real.
    I think I'll be getting the OptiShot as well.
    Does anyone know a specific location in Ottawa where I can find a screen and net?

Sand Wedge Strait is on a distinguished road

Thumbs down Optishot

I think it is very expensive for a portable simulator. i have the LaunchPad and believe me it wont help my swing or other problem i have , simulator are just good for games tthat is all. My opinion but different opinion from others and that is ok.

Strait, I respect your opinion, but just how much do you expect to pay for a portable simulator? Have you actually played some shots with the Optishot and a projector? The Optishot is miles ahead of the Launchpad. Trust me I have both. I'll say it again if anyone wants to buy my Launchpad, pm me. Will it elevate my game to the PGA tour - absolutely not. Can you use it to keep your swing in tune when we can't play outdoors - yes. To have fun and enjoy swinging the club indoors it is a great device especially if you add the projector. I do feel that it can improve your swing however the varoius aspects of the game including your lie, weather conditions, bunkers, short game, putting etc may not be helped by any simulator. As far as the cost goes, there are far more expensive units that are not that much better. You can go big and spend $50,000 on a golf simulator. Compared to that it is pretty cheap. It depends on how you look at it. Personally, I think it is a very reasonable price for such a product.

My intention is to have fun with it in the basement as opposed to simply sitting on the couch playing video games.
    My basement in our house being built has 10 ft clearance and I'm thinking of setting up a mini-indoor range with the OptiShot as well as a camera that will be connected to swing analysis software.
    Anyone interested in buying a foosball table? I may need to sell it in order to finance this project.

Enconicado you will absolutely enjoy the Optishot, especially in the winter. Get a computer with a good video card and a projector/screen set up and your friends will be jealous. I am sure you can sell the foosball table.

Camera and swing analysis software is my next step. May be costly though. Dancing dogg is integrated with SwingCoach software at www.swingtechnologies.com. Anybody find any other video analysis software cheaper?
    Last edited by bubba22; 07-08-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Do you know where in Ottawa I can buy a golf cage or simply the netting? Impact screen as well?
    Re: Swing Analysis software, check out V1Golf.

http://www.v1golf.com/products/v1-home.asp

You can download the basic version for free or buy the premium version for $40.

There are also more professional versions but I think one of these is good enough.

I hope this helps.

try Golfworks for the net/cage. I had my impact screen made from a tent and awning store in Barrie. it is a cordura material. there must be some in Ottawa.

I'll do that. I'm currently looking for a projector. Any recommendations on that?

I'm not too sure if the OptiShot really requires something that's really high def.

Any projector will do. Make sure you get one that has good brightness with at least 1500 lumens. 3000 lumens and above would be better. DLP or LCD will be fine. I have an oxpro series 1600 lumen HDMI projector. In the process of upgrading to a 3500 lumen, HDMI model.

Angry Optishot

I wanted just to say that simulator are good but not for me cause it doesn't help me at all i have a slice and it never cure it since i dont have the funds to have lessons from a pro well i am selling everything about golf that i have . I purchase almost everything gadget for golf there is on the market for curing my slice with no success , so i am in full depression of golf last Saturday i went and play at the O'l Tea in perth and i threw my golf bag in the wood and left and went home i was on the 6 hole , so my brother pick up the golf bag and drop it off at home so right now this is were i am standing with frustration and major frustration . I love golf so much i dont want to be a pro but i want to play a normal game it cost me more in golf balls then anything else. golf ball company are very happy with me. HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.

Thanks Guys

You don't have funds to spend on lessons or you don't want to spend money on lessons?

I took lessons with this pro at my local driving range and he only charged $40/lesson. He wasn't the fanciest of teachers but helped me understand the proper mechanics of my swing and to not try and kill the ball every time.

I saw immediate results right off the bat. Plus you need to put in the practice. This being said, I still shoot in the high 90's or low 100's however now it's because of my short game and not the fact that I can't make contact with the ball. Another thing that I need to work on.

If you have the money to spend on gadgets, you have the money to spend on lessons. Trust me, I'm a gadget guy as well.

If you're still quitting let me know what you have for sale.

Lightbulb tired of Slicing

Well for the lessons i dont have the funds now and when i will have it i dont know maybe in the winter dont know spend to much on gadget that i no longer have the funds . If i take another cent from the bank account for golf this year well the wife will kill me. You know what you just ring my bell in my head when you said " Dont try to kill it when you drive of the tee " well you know what maybe this is it maybe you are the cure with your words , i am going to try another time tonight at 5:30 tea oof time and will try 2 things the number one is this : 1. dont try to kill the ball when you hit it, 2. try using a 3 hybrid of the tee off after that if does thing dont work well will let you know what i have for sell. By the way where is that pro situated for 40$ .

Thread Information