100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
    Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road
    RDH,

Your unit is probably defective, ask Dancin Dogg what they can do for you, they are pretty decent to deal with.

KH29,

If you bought it from a reputable online dealer the Dancin Dogg 30 day warranty should still be in effect, again I would contact Dancin Dogg directly.

I have an older version of the swing pad and a new one, both work well with proper readouts.

Lob Wedge KH29 is on a distinguished road
    RDH,

Glad you mentioned the toe/heel reading problem. I also get that! Since I'm hitting a ball into a net I know I'm making good contact and mine almost always reads a toe hit. It sounds like we both have defective units.

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help me work through these problems. I'm glad RDH joined. I'm sorry you're having problems but good to know I'm not alone.

I know the warrentee from DD is still good but the *bay seller said they'd only allow returns for 7 days.

I can't get to the DD website from work (get blocked) but I can from home. I will try contacting them this evening. I'd like to get mine to work if possible.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Thanks guys. I've emailed Dancin Dogg support to see what the options are to have my unit looked at and I'll let you know. As I said, I really don't expect this to be a super accurate device - but at least something that reads open/closed faces and toe/heel position somewhat accurately. I don't think that's expecting too much.

I'm glad I joined, and I really do appreciate all the input/feedback.

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    Thanks guys. I've emailed Dancin Dogg support to see what the options are to have my unit looked at and I'll let you know. As I said, I really don't expect this to be a super accurate device - but at least something that reads open/closed faces and toe/heel position somewhat accurately. I don't think that's expecting too much.

I'm glad I joined, and I really do appreciate all the input/feedback.

You must have a defective unit. I thought I had a toe/heel problem too. Then I used impact tape and once again I was proven wrong and Optishot was right. When I placed the ball in the center, the Optishot was right every time on the toe/heel reading.
    I don't know anything about the ebay units. I know there are at least 2, maybe 3 releases. When I sent mine in for repair, they sent me a new unit instead, but only chaged me for a repair. The newest units have the locking usb port. If yours doesn't have the locking usb port, then you have one of the older units. I don't know if this matters. All I know is that mine works.

For the USB port on the side of the device I just slide the cable in...I don't see any kind of locking mechanism. I assume it would be pretty obvious if it had it?

For the USB port on the side of the device I just slide the cable in...I don't see any kind of locking mechanism. I assume it would be pretty obvious if it had it?
    The usb port on the original units are the typical port that is recessed into the housing, so the side of the swing pad is smooth with the usb port recessed in. The newer units have a rectangular shield that protrudes from the housing, so when you insert the usb cable, the plug is protected. I am calling it a locking port because I think you can lock the plug in somehow, but I don't.
    If you look closely at the newest picture on the DD website, you can see the shield protruding from the side of the housing.

None of this is to say that the newer swingpads operate any differently. All I know is that when I sent in an older model for repair, they replaced it with a new model, rather than repair it.

I also emailed Dancin Dogg yesterday afternoon. I received a reply last night that was basically just a copy of their FAQ page from their website. No help at all.

I do not have the retangular shield over my USB input so that coupled with the fact that 3DD did not come on the Optishot disk tells me I have an older unit.

I went to the range again yesterday and did not have any problem with toe hits. I actually had a pretty good swing going so I got on the DD sim when I got home. Results were better. Although I'm not fully convinced that my unit isn't defective I think part of my problem could be alignment. At least as far as the open face issue is concerned. The toe reading just doesn't add up. I hit a practice ball and it is a solid strike. My range session confirmed this.

Despite my frustration I do think I'll like the unit if I can ever solve these two problems. The 3DD looks great. I did find a place in the "preferences" section where I could adjust my distances. That helped too.

I have the shield, so mine is a newer unit.

I just went out to give it one more shot. This time I had all lights off and windows blocked, and I set up a desk lamp with a compact fluorescent bulb and had it shining down directly on the unit. Still the same results. With my heavy offset adjustments I was able to hit balls in the practice program okay (not realistic results, but at least fairly straight) so that was alright. I switched to 3DD though and it didn't seem to pick up my settings...I was using the same golfer (Player 1) which was set to my "Offset" set of clubs in the practice program, but everything was coming up way open and spraying to the right...yet again.

I think I've wasted enough time on this for now. I've sent a few emails to Dancin Dogg with no response...I'll have to try calling. I think I'm going to push to send the unit back to them to at least have them check it and confirm if it's working or not.

Time to get some work done...

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Both of you should call Dancing Dogg. My Unit works perfect. I'm a 4 handicap and it works perfect with my irons. The woods are not as good. I recently had one of my scratch buddies over and he was amazed at the accuracy. I would call the company as you probably have defective sensors. I have the Optistix driver and do agree it is more accurate but soft shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by KH29 View Post
    I also emailed Dancin Dogg yesterday afternoon. I received a reply last night that was basically just a copy of their FAQ page from their website. No help at all.

I do not have the retangular shield over my USB input so that coupled with the fact that 3DD did not come on the Optishot disk tells me I have an older unit.

I went to the range again yesterday and did not have any problem with toe hits. I actually had a pretty good swing going so I got on the DD sim when I got home. Results were better. Although I'm not fully convinced that my unit isn't defective I think part of my problem could be alignment. At least as far as the open face issue is concerned. The toe reading just doesn't add up. I hit a practice ball and it is a solid strike. My range session confirmed this.

Despite my frustration I do think I'll like the unit if I can ever solve these two problems. The 3DD looks great. I did find a place in the "preferences" section where I could adjust my distances. That helped too.
    The earlier editions of the software did not have the face contact feature. When I first started using the new software, I did not believe the readings were correct, until I started using impact tape. Actually, I used duct tape, but even masking tape will probably work. What I found is is that I get a readout of a "slight" toe or heel hit if the impact is as little as 1/8 inch off center. About 1/4" gives me a toe or heel hit. When the optishot told me it was a center hit, the mark on the tape was definetely center. Now I like the feature, because if it tells me center hit, then I know it was pure. One reason I was doubting is because the almost golf balls are nice, but don't give the same feel feedback of a real ball, so toe hits don't feel bad at all. Also, a real ball will feel like a pure impact if you are only 1/8" off center, at least for me, so that's why I checked with the impact tape.
    The optishot even gives me the correct reading of "far" heel when I shank the occasional shot. I think they should program a shank into the 3dd golf game when you make far heel contact with an iron.
    Let me know if you are getting tired of hearing about my good results when you are having problems. It's just that I've had all the same questions/problems and have taken steps to verify what's really happening. The result has been that I have become more confident in the device than I was when I first bought it.

Thanks Daddyfats. I'm not tired of hearing about your good results at all - I look forward to posting my own once I get this sorted out. My unit is still within the 180 day warranty, so I'm just waiting for Dancin Dogg's tech support to respond to me. I did get a response from another person there acknowledging my request, so hopefully I can send this in and have it looked at. There's no way it can be working correctly right now.

Likewise, I'm not tired of hearing about success. I also look forward to posting mine. I'm getting closer with the irons but not there yet. Using a real ball is not an option for me so I have to make the almost golf balls work.

I still think the distances are a bit off but I can live with them. I wish I could get a usable wood solution so I can play the courses. It sounds like the DD driver shaft is too flexible so I don't know what to do about that. Every drive is so far right it's just no fun.

Right now I have an iron practice tool. Hopefully some day I'll have a true sim.

The optistix driver is not that flexible. It depends on your swing speed. I would call it a regular shaft flex. I play a stiff R7. The accuracy with the Optistix is better than my own driver. I like it and would recommend it however if you are a pro and require extra stiff, it may be too soft for you. For the rest of us I think the driver is reasonable. For the cost, you will not be dissapointed.

Just to keep you in the loop, I got a couple responses from Dancin Dogg support yesterday, which was pretty quick since I'd just emailed the night before. They suggested one more test, and when that didn't go well they promptly sent me a warranty exchange case number and shipping info. I have it packaged up to courier out to them today, so hopefully I find out next week whether the unit is in fact not working. I'll let you know how it goes - thanks for all your feedback.

On the topic of woods, has anyone applied black tape plus a strip of reflective (aluminum foil) tape to their driver to see if that enables it to work? I wouldn't do it with my usual driver, but I have my old one that I could leave taped up if it works okay.

Have not tried that. Not recommended by company but seems reasonable. Let us know if it works.

RDH,

I would be very interested to know what the results are once DD gets your unit. I emailed them once. They did reply but the text was just a copy of their FAQ page so it didn't help much.

I am having better success with my irons. The club face reading seems to be better. Since I'm lining up facing a net I think I get a bit sloppy with my setup. It's not like picking a target on the course. I still get the toe hit reading quite a bit. I haven't tried impact tape yet but I will when I get a chance. I know my previous two range sessions have produced some of my best ball striking in a while. No toe hits at all and a miss that's almost always left. If it's right it's a block, not a slice. But DDs right shots look like massive banana balls. If I got those results on the range or course I'd quite golf and take up bowling .

I have moved both of my drivers (Callaway FT-5 tour - .5* open & Bridgestone J33R - neutral) slowly over the sensors and they alway read significantly open. For now my solution to playing a course is to tee off with my 3-iron hybrid. This works pretty well.

I'll keep you posted KH29. I just sent it Fedex ground as faster delivery options were very expensive (close to $50 more to shave off a couple days) so it will take about a week or more to get there. I'll follow up with them early the week after next if I haven't heard anything...fingers crossed.

Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road

On the topic of woods, has anyone applied black tape plus a strip of reflective (aluminum foil) tape to their driver to see if that enables it to work? I wouldn't do it with my usual driver, but I have my old one that I could leave taped up if it works okay.
    I tried it without sucess, the readings were still all over the place for swing speed, again I now tee off directly on the grass, no tee, and the readings are very accurate - much like the irons. I really think it is the distance bewtween the driver and sensors that create false readings for the driver. With the curvatures below the drivers there may be issues with the rebounding light reflecting back to the sensors.

Well hopefull it works out for both of you guys. I have a projector set up and even with that you have to really make sure your alignment is on. Once done the unit is great. The p3pro probably is slightly more sensitive however there ar lots of reviews of problems with it as well. Not to mention it is far more expensive, especially buying additional courses. Hopefull Optishot will come out with a driving range soon. For now I love playing a round with the autoputt option. Hopefully you guys sort it out as I absolutely love my unit.

Just to keep you in the loop, I got a couple responses from Dancin Dogg support yesterday, which was pretty quick since I'd just emailed the night before. They suggested one more test, and when that didn't go well they promptly sent me a warranty exchange case number and shipping info. I have it packaged up to courier out to them today, so hopefully I find out next week whether the unit is in fact not working. I'll let you know how it goes - thanks for all your feedback.

I tried exactly what you describe. Way back when I first purchased the DD I tried to get woods and hybrids to read accurately. I even tried coloring the whole bottom with a black sharpie and that didn't work, so I didn't use anything but irons for over a year. Now I have the Optistix driver and am happy with it, but will most likely reshaft it at some point.

Okay...just about ready to say I've solved the iron problem. At least the open face problem. It does appear that I was lined up incorrectly. After an adjustment, many balls and a follow up on the range over the weekend it looks as though my range and DD sessions are matching up. Yay!

However, I'm still getting way too much distance. This could also be do to user error so let me make sure I'm setting this up correctly. First, it looks like the fine adjustments are done through the Practice Zone. I don't see anything like that in 3DD.

I use the 'Preferences' in the PZ to select the practice ball (lighter one) and try to adjust my iron distance via the percentage bar. It doesn't seem to be helping. As an example I'm routinely getting readings of 180 yards with an 8 iron both in 3DD and the practice zone. My normal 8 iron is about 155-160. That's obviously a significant difference. All other irons read long also. Did I miss something in the setup?

On woods...I give up. Not even going to try anymore. Sounds like the Optistix would be too soft so I won't do that either.

Glad to hear things are improving for you KH29. My Optishot is en route back to Dancin' Dogg to have them look at it...I worry they'll say it's fine and then I'll have to decide if I use it or not (even if I turn the club over completely closed and swing it was reading around square or slightly open). I'll let you know how that works out.

On the distance, did you customize your individual clubs in the practice zone? You can go into preferences and for each player there are 4 club sets you can modify. In there you can adjust your 8 iron (for example) to go 15 percent less distance (again, for example) to get it in line. You can do each club individually to hopefully tweak things to the right level. Then, when playing 3DD golf, you can start a round and select the player and the same club set that you modified in the practice zone. Hopefully with that tweaking you can get things working reasonably - let me know how it goes (I didn't actually get to playing with those settings too much before sending mine back other than putting in a huge offset to force the club face readings to be more closed, which worked okay to a degree).

By the way everyone, I think this is about THE definitive forum thread on the Dancin' Dogg online. As I was having problems with mine I did a LOT of searching for posts on it and didn't find anything as extensive as this discussion.

RDH,

Yes, things are improving but only slightly. I still have the toe/heel reading problem and I did adjust the distance percentages as you suggested. I still get inaccurate readings. Always long. In all honesty I would never buy this thing again but what's done is done so I'm trying to make the best of it. I find the tempo reading pretty useful and I'm also pretty consistent with the swing path which is great.

One thing did occur to me. You and I both play Mizuno irons. I wonder if there could be something there? Yes, that sound you're hearing now is me reaching but who knows?

You are correct, this is a great forum. Great info. Verifying my alignment definately helped me. I look forward to reading about your experience with DD once they get your unit. Good luck!

I suspected my irons as well, but I just got the new set last month and held on to my old ones (some stellar 18-year-old Ram Laser FXs) so I tried those and got the same results. I also tried aluminum foil tape on the bottom of both sets but that didn't make a difference either.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything from DD.

As far as distances go I select foam ball for 3dd and find that the distances are very accurate. This goes for the irons and the woods. I use the almost golf p3 balls. I played a real round today and was in mid season form. The simulator really is accurate as my tendencies playing today were the same as the simulator the past month .

Hey guys -

I just heard from Dancin Dogg. My unit arrived there yesterday, so they were quick to look at it. Unfortunately (or fortunately? not sure) they say it is testing 100% accurate. I'm just waiting for the fellow to give me a call to discuss things.

Since some of you have great results with the system, I have to assume it's something with my environment or myself. I really don't have much else to try though given that I've tried everything I can do with lighting (from none at all, to a fluorescent bulb shining right down on the unit). Maybe I really do swing with a fairly open clubface (news to me!) - all I know is that the software interprets all my swings as crazy slices to the right where I am almost always a straight hitter on the course through all my clubs (especially low/mid irons) - I may not hit the ball overly far, but I am accurate.

I expect I'll get this back and set all the clubs to a strong offset again to see if I can get some okay results to at least make 3DD a playable experience. Maybe I was expecting too much from a very low priced system (when you compare to the alternatives that cost many times more as soon as you want a grass/turf top). I'll let you know if anything different happens on this, but thanks for all your input and suggestions anyway!

Hey guys -

I just heard from Dancin Dogg. My unit arrived there yesterday, so they were quick to look at it. Unfortunately (or fortunately? not sure) they say it is testing 100% accurate. I'm just waiting for the fellow to give me a call to discuss things.

Since some of you have great results with the system, I have to assume it's something with my environment or myself. I really don't have much else to try though given that I've tried everything I can do with lighting (from none at all, to a fluorescent bulb shining right down on the unit). Maybe I really do swing with a fairly open clubface (news to me!) - all I know is that the software interprets all my swings as crazy slices to the right where I am almost always a straight hitter on the course through all my clubs (especially low/mid irons) - I may not hit the ball overly far, but I am accurate.

I expect I'll get this back and set all the clubs to a strong offset again to see if I can get some okay results to at least make 3DD a playable experience. Maybe I was expecting too much from a very low priced system (when you compare to the alternatives that cost many times more as soon as you want a grass/turf top). I'll let you know if anything different happens on this, but thanks for all your input and suggestions anyway!
    When you get it back, you may want to have some other golfers try it out. The golfers that have used mine have been impressed with the results when compared to their real ball flight.

That is a good suggestion as I have the same experience.

RDH,

I'm sure you're disappointed but let me offer some hope because I think I've finally solved my problem.

My unit sets separately from my stance mat and it moves a bit after a few swings. I found that to be a major reason for my alignment problems. I doesn't take much movement for it to be off a few degrees.

Since my unit is in my garage I marked the floor with some masking tape so I can return the unit to square with my stance mat and target. I think there was an earlier post that suggested alignment tape (thank you for that!). This has made all the difference in the world for me...with irons that is. My distance readings are still too long no matter what I try but no more severly open club faces.

I gave up on woods long ago. Big banana balls every time. I've been to the range several times this week and am happy to report that my driver and 3 wood have never been better so I just don't even try to use them with DD anymore. Since DD gives me distances with my 3 iron hybrid of about 280 (220 is more realistic but hey...) I just tee off with it to play a course. Ideal...no. But it's a workable solution and this way I can enjoy playing virtual golf.

So I am liking the thing more. I still don't know if I'd buy it again but I do know my last three or four range sessions have been among my best ever. I have to give it some credit for that. I really like the tempo feature. I've found that if I keep it around 1.2 I get very consistent results. If I get quick then I'm all over the place.

I think the suggestion to have one of your golfing friends over to test it out is a good one. Doulbe check your alignment too. I have not changed my swing at all...just my alignment. It seems to have worked. Keep us posted.

Hi guys -

I'm really glad to hear you've got things working okay KH29. My unit actually velcros into place in my stance mat, so it's good for not moving around. I don't think alignment was my problem as even if I aligned to the left and closed the face (to come outside/in with a strong closed face) I was getting open readings.

Anyway, I spent some time on the phone with Dancin' Dogg yesterday as they tried to suggest more things to try since it tested fine for them. Didn't really come up with anything, but when I get it back next week I'm going to try using it on a different computer and a different USB cable just to eliminate every variable. Fingers crossed.

Regardless of what happens, I do need to post a positive comment about their support. Last week I quickly got a warranty return number. It got to them this week and they looked at it within a day and then spent time with me on the phone. They even offered to cover shipping it back to me even though the unit was fine. I'm really impressed with the effort and responsiveness I saw.

I'll play around with options when I get it back - it must be something with my environment. I did have one other person try it a couple weeks back (a 4 handicap) and he got open readings too, so there's something weird going on. I tried everything I could do with lighting, but I'll be trying even more once it's back. The worst case scenario is that I'll use my heavy offset clubset that I created which gets things to an okay level for playing a virtual round anyway.

I'll let you know how it works out next week - I am looking forward to getting it back knowing that the device is fine and it's something else going on.

Thread Information