100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
    Putter NETHGOLF is on a distinguished road NETHGOLF's Avatar
    Thank you all for your answers concerning the putting option. Do you think this is anywhere comparable to commercial installations?

Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by NETHGOLF View Post
    Thank you all for your answers concerning the putting option. Do you think this is anywhere comparable to commercial installations?
    That would depend upon your room setup, lighting etc... with a good quality projector and screen the images are very similar to the 1st generation commerical golf simulators (they are very realistic now - actually real images vs computer rendered). The commercial installations (high end sims) detect the ball flight and not the impact zone. I have played on commercial indoor sims and the results from the Optishot are very accurate. Well worth the $400!! That's only a few rounds of golf!

8 Iron bubba827 is on a distinguished road
    OK I just got my Optishot in the mail yesterday and hooked it up last night.......got to tell u that this thing really rocksss...............woooooooow wanted to say thanks for everyones inputs on this. I only got 1 question tho..I was wondering if anyone else felt that the swing speeds that I am seeing on the screen are true? It maybe just my male ego (HA hA ) in the way but I really thought my swing speeds were a lil faster than that, and also if if made any difference whether you actually hit a ball or just swing thru the mat as far as speeds go?>

Quote Originally Posted by bubba827 View Post
    OK I just got my Optishot in the mail yesterday and hooked it up last night.......got to tell u that this thing really rocksss...............woooooooow wanted to say thanks for everyones inputs on this. I only got 1 question tho..I was wondering if anyone else felt that the swing speeds that I am seeing on the screen are true? It maybe just my male ego (HA hA ) in the way but I really thought my swing speeds were a lil faster than that, and also if if made any difference whether you actually hit a ball or just swing thru the mat as far as speeds go?>
    Your swing is slower than you think!!

Make sure you set the type of ball you are using (or none at all) as it will have an affect on swing speed/ball travel distance. Example, if you select "real ball" and use no ball at the readouts will be false for distance - normally when you hit a real ball your club head is slowed down slightly due to the impact with a hard ball - the software will read as if you are really crushing it. Fun to see it go like hell, but not realistic!

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba827 View Post

The swing speeds in the 3dd golf are fairly accurate. You need to make sure you have chosen the correct ball type. I seem to hit the wedges farther than in real life, but the other clubs are really accurate compared to my real distances.

Lob Wedge KH29 is on a distinguished road
    I received my Optishot over the weekend and hooked it up last night. I also found the distances to be a bit long. I use the "Almost Golf Balls". I set the ball type to "real" because I saw that recommended in an earlier post. I'm sure I can get that worked out. My other problem seems to be that it almost always reads my clubface open...and a significant amount. Because I play pretty frequently and carry an 8 hcp I know I don't hit 9 irons 40 yds right of my target as this system seems to suggest. I have to significantly exaggerate rolling my wrist over to produce a square or closed face. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if I didn't set something up correctly or if perhaps I have a defective sensor. Could it be my irons aren't being read correctly. I play Mizuno MP-60s. Oh, this is consistent whether I'm in the Practice Zone or 3DD.

Quote Originally Posted by KH29 View Post
    I received my Optishot over the weekend and hooked it up last night. I also found the distances to be a bit long. I use the "Almost Golf Balls". I set the ball type to "real" because I saw that recommended in an earlier post. I'm sure I can get that worked out. My other problem seems to be that it almost always reads my clubface open...and a significant amount. Because I play pretty frequently and carry an 8 hcp I know I don't hit 9 irons 40 yds right of my target as this system seems to suggest. I have to significantly exaggerate rolling my wrist over to produce a square or closed face. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if I didn't set something up correctly or if perhaps I have a defective sensor. Could it be my irons aren't being read correctly. I play Mizuno MP-60s. Oh, this is consistent whether I'm in the Practice Zone or 3DD.

Have you checked the readouts by moving the club over the sensors slowly while holding the clubface positions and path? When I do this, it verifies whether the sensors are correctly reading the club face and path positions. I have never had a problem with irons, but hybrids and woods don't read correctly. This is a good way to check if your setup (lighting, shadows, etc.) are creating a problem. I use the least flourescent light needed to see the ball properly.
    I put a perpendicular line on the matt through the center of the swing pad. This helps with my alignment. The reason I bring this up is because many single digit handicappers have developed a natural alignment that compensates for any theoretically improper club positions out on the course. I am a 3 handicap and I have this problem. Then, when addressing the ball on a matt, or simulator, I line up square to the target and can't square the clubface. I am not suggesting this is what you are doing, but I have been meticulous in evaluating my Optishot, and I have found myself guilty of the natrual tendency to blame the equipment and not myself, only to find that the Optishot is telling the truth.
    To give an example, one day I was hitting everything to the right on the simulator with my long irons. This is not normal for me. I tend to miss left with a pull. I was being careful to line up square to the target line. I finally took a bucket of balls (almost golf) outside and proceeded to hit most shots to the right. I was very careful to line up square to target. The Optishot was telling the truth.

One other thing I have found to be true is that when the readings on the Optishot are consistent, then they are probably fairly accurate. When it is having problems (like with a driver) the readings are all over the map.

None of this is to say that yours is working correctly. I'm just sharing my experience with the system.

Thanks for the suggestions. My miss on the course is almost always left with irons too which is why I am so surprised by the readouts so far. Do I compensate out on the course? Probably, most do. I have my system set up in my garage. No outside light but I do have regular lights. The ceiling is a good 15 feet high and so far I haven't had any swing fail to register so I thought my lighting was fine. Do you place the ball right on the spot for the tee? That's what I've been doing. I'll try a center line as you suggest. I've only spent about an hour so far so I'm sure I'll get it worked out.

Thanks for the suggestions. My miss on the course is almost always left with irons too which is why I am so surprised by the readouts so far. Do I compensate out on the course? Probably, most do. I have my system set up in my garage. No outside light but I do have regular lights. The ceiling is a good 15 feet high and so far I haven't had any swing fail to register so I thought my lighting was fine. Do you place the ball right on the spot for the tee? That's what I've been doing. I'll try a center line as you suggest. I've only spent about an hour so far so I'm sure I'll get it worked out.
    You may want to consider replacing the standard light bulb with a compact fluorescent bulb, there may be some misreading due to light interference.

I have found placing the ball slightly ahead of the tee hole helps with readouts - especially for driver, fairway woods and hybirds... I don't tee up for my driver and the readouts are much more accurate. I assume this is due to the proximity of the driver to the sensors - more like an iron readout. Another reason to set the ball forward, if you have a tendancy to hit the ball fat, irons can get hung up in closest opening in the grass for the sensors, I have already torn one of my grass coverings! - now it's on the lefties mat!

My experience has been very similar to TA 845. I am set up in the garage and I replaced my normal bulbs with flourescents. I also eliminate as much natural light as possible. I do not cast a shadow across the sensors. I unscrew the bulbs that would cause this to happen. I even considered using a flourescent spotlight to shine directly on the swing pad so I could turn off all other lighting, but this wasn't necessary.
    I tore two of my grass coverings in the first two months and I have been placing the ball closer to the front sensor for over a year now and have not torn the turf since then. It appears to have no effect on the readings. I don't think you can change the club readings in such a small hitting zone by moving the ball an inch or two forward.
    I have access to a higher turf and have made up my own turf replacements. I have to build up my stance a bit more, but it virtually eliminates any concern with hitting the back sensor or tearing the turf.

I'll try replacing the lights with flouresants. It may be a day or two before I get to do that though. I've only tried my driver a few times...maybe five swings. I don't use a ball at all for that as I kept taking the supplied plastic tee out. Once I get the irons figured out, lighting issues etc. I'll work on trying to make my driver more realistic. My first driver swing read out at 123mph and 90+ yards left of target! Just like TW on the first tee yesterday . No...I didn't make par . Anyway, thanks again for all the info. Oh, one more thing. For the "Almost Golf Balls" do you use "real ball" or "foam ball" option? I think I've seen both recommended.

My first driver swing read out at 123mph and 90+ yards left of target! Just like TW on the first tee yesterday . No...I didn't make par . Anyway, thanks again for all the info. Oh, one more thing. For the "Almost Golf Balls" do you use "real ball" or "foam ball" option? I think I've seen both recommended.
    My driver did the same, now that I don't use a tee - right off the mat - the swing speeds, face angle and path are much more accurate. Use the foam ball option for the Almost Golf balls. The real ball option will be too long if you are using the Almost Golf Balls - less resistance when striking = higher club head speed!

Quote Originally Posted by TA 845 View Post
    My driver did the same, now that I don't use a tee - right off the mat - the swing speeds, face angle and path are much more accurate. Use the foam ball option for the Almost Golf balls. The real ball option will be too long if you are using the Almost Golf Balls - less resistance when striking = higher club head speed!
    Again, thanks. BTW, love the idea of a 3DD driving range. I hope they take that suggestion.

yea i sent my request in for a driving range also.........LOL

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

Optistix driver?

Anyone have any experience with the optistix driver? Only $39 on their website. Would that solve the woods issue? Anyone taping the sole of their woods?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the optistix driver? Only $39 on their website. Would that solve the woods issue? Anyone taping the sole of their woods?
    I have the Optistix driver. I think it works ok, at least better than my normal driver. The shaft seems too flexible for me and therefore it's not ideal for dialing in my swing with the driver, but I think it reads the clubhead correctly. My normal driver SS is about 95-100 MPH. I probably wouldn't recommend it for swing speeds higher than 90, but if you are around 90 MPH of less, it's probably worth the 35 bucks.

I think I've got my irons figured out. At least as far as the open club face goes. Looks like just an alignment problem. I've got to say that the woods are very frustrating. It takes most of (actually all of) the fun out of playing the courses. I thought at first it was just my driver (Bridgestone J33R) but my 3 iron hybrid doesn't read accurate either. Way too long. Even with the practice ball option I get readings of 260+ yards. Not a 3 wood...a 3 hybrid. Even when I select 3 iron and hit the hybrid I get the same thing.

My driver is reading 330 routinely. I mean, I wish...but there's no way. I been on many launch monitors with varying technologies. I have even been a club fitter in the past. I know my ss is between 112-115. But I'm getting 129+ from the Optishot. I've tried hitting a practice ball off the mat as was suggested. I changed to flouresant lights and changed the ball setting to practice. I'm ready to send up the white flag. Anything else I should try?

I think I've got my irons figured out. At least as far as the open club face goes. Looks like just an alignment problem. I've got to say that the woods are very frustrating. It takes most of (actually all of) the fun out of playing the courses. I thought at first it was just my driver (Bridgestone J33R) but my 3 iron hybrid doesn't read accurate either. Way too long. Even with the practice ball option I get readings of 260+ yards. Not a 3 wood...a 3 hybrid. Even when I select 3 iron and hit the hybrid I get the same thing.

My driver is reading 330 routinely. I mean, I wish...but there's no way. I been on many launch monitors with varying technologies. I have even been a club fitter in the past. I know my ss is between 112-115. But I'm getting 129+ from the Optishot. I've tried hitting a practice ball off the mat as was suggested. I changed to flouresant lights and changed the ball setting to practice. I'm ready to send up the white flag. Anything else I should try?
    I don't know how the system calculates swings speed. I have every version of the software from the beginning loaded on my computer. The original version (Dancin Dogg Shotmaking Simulator) was too high on swing speeds, but you can adjust your distances up or down 20% so even though the swing speed would read high, the distance the ball traveled would be like your normal length.
    The first Optishot release (prior to 3DD golf) was similar.
    The latest release is much better on swingspeeds with the irons except for the wedges, which I am hitting 10 to 15 yards too far, but all other irons are really very close. I checked against a swing speed radar and they are usually within 2 MPH.
    You can still adjust your distances for the optishot practice zone, but I don't know if the adjustments carry over to 3DD golf.

For what it's worth, Dancin Dogg originally packaged reflective tape to use with woods and hybrids, but since then have gone on record to say that this doesn't work very well. They sell a specially made driver to use on their simulator, and it seems to work OK. However, it's a soft shaft. It will feel like a noodle to somebody with your swing speed.

I've noticed something. I often set my club as driver, but swing a 3 iron so that I get a more realistic distance off the tee when playing a course in Tiger Woods or 3DD. When I do this, I get a swing speed that is higher for my 3 iron than usual.
    In other words, if I swing the same club, but tell the optishot it's a different club, it will give me a different swing speed. Unless I'm imagining things, this means that Optishot uses the club you tell it as part of the SS calculation, and doesn't rely totally on the sensors.

You might try this. Change the club setting to a different club, but swing the driver. See which club gives you your normal driver SS. Maybe it ends up being a 3 iron. Then, when you practice driver, tell the computer you are using a 3 iron, even though you are swinging a driver. This should give you a fairly realistic distance result while you are practicing your driver swings, assuming it is reading your face angle correctly.

One final thought. I have never gotten too hung up on the distances and swing speeds, mainly because I am convinced that the club path and face angle readings are within the accuracy standards they claim, and these two factors alone are probably 95% responsible for where the ball ends up. This simulator continues to mirror my real ball flight extremely well, as evidenced on the course this past Monday.

Daddyfats,

Thanks for the input. I'm not so much "hung up" on the swing speed of the woods as I am just trying to get a usable solution. I actually drive the ball pretty well out on the course but my iron play is a weakness so I'm hoping to use this tool to help the GIR stat.

As a side I'd like to be able to play the virtual courses but so far have found that frustrating. I did not expect the wood readings to be spot on accurate as that is a common observation on this forum and others. But I did expect them to be closer. Most can probably be attributed to user error.

I can understand how irons can be read accurately with just club head sensors but a driver in particular has many other factors. Spin rate being a huge one which you can't get without "seeing" the ball but that's off topic.

I'll experiment with setting different clubs and swinging the driver.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road

New optishot user

Greetings -

I just purchased a used OptiShot system. I read a lot on the topic beforehand and was planning on this purely as a fun tool, not expecting super accurate results (I'll save up for a high end system someday!).

I'm having terrible problems with the system reporting severely open clubfaces on full (or even half) swings. If I closed the face heavily and swing VERY slowly, it reads okay. If I do the same thing and take even a half swing, it shows open (anywhere from a couple degrees to 20 or more). I have all outside light blocked, and I've tried with both no lights and fluorescent (not directly above) but no dice. I also tried some reflective tape, but also no luck. I am experiencing the problem with all my irons, so it's not a driver issue.

Any other suggestions I can try? I don't care if this thing is bang on, but watching every shot careen off to the right isn't much fun.

not trying to be funny here but are you sure are not align so the shot would go to the right?....I found out with me my club face was being showed open 6.9 to 7.5 open every time I used it until I tried the alignment mark and sure enough it helped a lot with open face readouts, also have you tried moving tour club face over sensors very slowly to see if sensors were reading correctly.

Make sure you have selected right hand shot, if it is on left you will see those results. As bubba mentioned check your alignment, you must be square to the sensors otherwise a slightly open clubface becomes over exaggerated...

Hi guys -

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. I'm not sure what's wrong with this thing...I know it's not an alignment issue. I'm a decent enough player that I know I'm closing the face and even if I SEVERELY close it I only seem to get it to a degree or so closed. If I swing across slowly, it does read correctly. To make sure it wasn't an alignment problem I even tried aligning far to the left and swinging across...again, swing path was correct (strong out to in) but still an open face reading.

I was going to try playing with the offset settings for clubs in the practice program setup to see if I can force it to "adjust" everything more closed (again, because I'm not using this as a learning tool and just for fun). Has anyone tried playing with that?

Is there any way to test that all sensors are working correctly other than the slow swing across?

(Thanks again for your help!)

If your setups are good and you are still getting inforrect feedback you may want to send Dancin Dogg an e-mail expaining the problem. There could be an issue with your sensors...

Have you set up your own club specifications within the software? If so, try selecting another clubset that is a defalt set created by DD. I have an issue with a specific club I set up for my father, a 56* wedge travels like a driver!

RDH,

I've had, and am still having, the same problem regarding the severe open club face readings. I also wondered about defective sensors, incorrect lighting, etc. After a lot of frustration and plenty of hours I am now able to release the club early and achieve a square to closed face. However...I went to the range yesterday and just hooked the living snot out of everything. There are others that report extensive study with this system that have had good luck with it. I'm not there yet. I've virturally given up on woods but I still have some hope for the irons.

Just out of curiosity, is your unit an older one? Mine is an Optishot but I think it's older because I had to go to the DD website to download the 3DD. I am also a decent player (8hcp) and have even been a club fitter. A 3* to 9* open face at impact isn't necessarily a bad thing. Please let me know if you find something that works. As was written in an earlier post. $300-$400 is inexpensive for a simulator but expensive for a toy.

Hey KH29 -

Sounds like we're in a similar boat. One thing I am not going to do is adjust my swing to try to make this work...I don't need it messing up my real game! I really am viewing this as a toy while I save up toward a "proper" system (maybe P3ProSwing, or the system at www-dot-golfsimfactory-dot-com [sorry...they're spam-blocking my link] looks pretty cool since it doesn't need tape and has other components you can add on) but that's a ways off.

This morning I played around with adjusting the offset for my clubs (increasing the offset) and by setting it very high on a 5-iron I was able to get the system reporting reasonable numbers. I know they're not valid numbers and can't be used for game improvement, but at least readings seem to be coming up between slightly closed and slightly open which will make 3DD fun to play (which is my main intention for now). Up to this point it was pretty miserable...not much fun in watching every shot careen off to the right! I'll play around more with the offset and let you know how I end up. The downside is that it seems to make it super-forgiving...even if I strongly close or open the club face, the readings come up just as slightly closed or open. Oh well...I can live with that and just have fun playing a pretend round for now.

Sorry to hear you guys are having problems. I have had none with iron accuracy so far. I've used four different sets of irons and every one produces good results.
    My real life range session yesterday once again verified that the swings I've been working on the optishot are producing similar results on the simulator and real life. Ball flight and distance are both quite realistic. I will say that my shot dispersion is a little bit better on the optishot, basically because my swing is consistent enough to stay within the swing path tolerances of the unit.
    I had my golf league partner over the other night and we spent 3 hours hitting shots on the simulator. I play with him every week, so I knew what to expect on the simulator, and sure enough, his real life problems were showing up on the simulator. It didn't matter whose clubs we used, the results were very favorable in comparison to our real life shot patterns. He was impressed.
    After using this for over a year, I have no fear of messing up my swing based on feedback from this device.
    At this point, I probably sound like a DD rep, but I can assure you I'm not affiliated in any way. In fact, if I had the problems or doubts that you guys are having, I wouldn't keep it, even as a toy.

Unfortunately I bought mine off of *bay. Thought I'd save some money. But the seller only offered a one week trial and I spent that week trying to get it to work for me. Now that time has passed so I can't return it. Believe me I'd like to.

My irons are Mizuno MP-60...not a lot of offset. As I've stated in an earlier post my miss on the course is usually left (I'm right handed), that's why I've been so surprised by my open club face readings.

Right now I can't play a course. Anything hit with a wood reads so far right it's rediculous. As RDH writes...it's just no fun. I didn't know about the offset adjustment. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Same here basically...bought it off kijiji used. I think something is wrong with my unit as it doesn't pick up toe/heel properly either. Even if I set up in a crazy position (hosel of the club at the ball spot with no ball) I only get (slight toe). If I line up completely on the other side of the ball then I get a heel reading. Grr.

The offset settings definitely help, but like I said it's more just to make it usable for fun than anything else. I have Mizuno MX-200s but I set all the clubs up to a full 1-inch (maximum) offset. Ugh.

Unfortunately I bought mine off of *bay. Thought I'd save some money. But the seller only offered a one week trial and I spent that week trying to get it to work for me. Now that time has passed so I can't return it. Believe me I'd like to.

My irons are Mizuno MP-60...not a lot of offset. As I've stated in an earlier post my miss on the course is usually left (I'm right handed), that's why I've been so surprised by my open club face readings.

Right now I can't play a course. Anything hit with a wood reads so far right it's rediculous. As RDH writes...it's just no fun. I didn't know about the offset adjustment. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

My word of advice on woods would be to forget about them. I never got them to read correctly, and I tried everything, so I bought the Optistix driver. I think it is fairly accurate, but I wouldn't recommend it because the shaft is really soft. I may stick it on an old shaft or buy a cheaper steel driver shaft to make it more suitable for me, but until then, I wouldn't recommend it.
    I'm still puzzled when it comes to your experience with the irons. If I knew somebody with mizunos, I'd try them out. I use my original set of blades, my current blades, a set of pings, and a set of high offset knockoffs. No problems with any of them.

If we play our league this evening, it should be interesting. I will be spending an hour or so on the simulator before going to the course because it's raining and I won't be hitting balls on the range before I play. I plan on taking my optishot swing right to the course and seeing what happens. If it works out, I'll report on the results.

Thread Information