100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by CPaul View Post
    Could you tell me where you picked up the cordura impact screen in Ottawa -- I'm just using my laptop right now with my indoor golf sim, but at some point it would be great to upgrade to the full projector / screen experience...
    bubba22 lives in Barrie, they probably have more fabric stores in that neck of the woods! You might want to try Rockland Textiles on Kaladar Ave, (I would call first) if they don't have any E-Bay is probably you next best bet. I received my order within 10 days and did not pay any duties...

Lob Wedge CPaul is on a distinguished road

thx

thx for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by TA 845 View Post
    bubba22 lives in Barrie, they probably have more fabric stores in that neck of the woods! You might want to try Rockland Textiles on Kaladar Ave, (I would call first) if they don't have any E-Bay is probably you next best bet. I received my order within 10 days and did not pay any duties...

Lob Wedge holdarien is on a distinguished road
    On Saturday I had the possibility to go to the range for finding out my actual shot lengths. I have seen that when I use the foam ball on the optishot system (in the 3DD enviroment) the distances are calculated very well. They are pretty accurate compared to my distances outside (with all irons). I think over winter I have forgotten how much power and speed is needed to get the desired distances. The woods seam to be a bit too long in 3DD, I do not hit 250 meters with my driver (I wish I could). In the practice zone also the driver length matches my experiences on the range. So TA I think we have got the same results on tests on club length calculation. I think the calculation with the "no ball" option is not good, but everything else is really exact. Since I have installed a net for catching the foam balls I will not need to play without a ball. I have also ordered almost golf balls (yes they are available in Germany too ) for getting a better feel of impact. I hope they are good, but I think I can trust your experiences and recommendations.

cu guys

Lob Wedge KH29 is on a distinguished road
    I have been looking at the Optishot as well as the P3PROSWING Claret model. The PROSWING is quite a bit more expensive(about $900 more now!). I'm wondering if anybody has used it and if so are the extra $$$ justified. Also, the Dancin' Dogg website says that woods may not register correctly. They offer their own driver which is supposed to make up for that. Are those of you that are using the Optishot using your own woods or did you buy their driver as well.

Hi KH29,

I use my own driver, wilson spine and normal fairway woods. I think they work well with the optishot system and the feedback seams to be accurate, maybe a bit too long (see previous posts). But Yesterday, I had the possibility to play on an state of the art commercial simulator. And it gave me almost the same feedback as the optishot system (with all clubs, also the woods and it indicated also 250 meters with a full driver swing, which seams to be too far for me, but maybe the simulator air gives me extra power ), but it provided better analysis of my swing (exact swing path visualization, and some other additional parameters, which I did not understand ).

I have not tried a P3Pro Swing, because I did not want to spend so much money for golf training at home. For me I can say that I have found a good golf home trainer with optishot, which I can trust in terms of accuracy and which is not too expensive. During my internet research for a home golf solution I have seen that the P3Pro has more sensors and also better visualized path of the club head and some other parameters, which should provide better feedback for easier learning. Therefore, I think the P3Pro Swing is better for golf teachers. But the system is expensive (especially here in Europe) and also the software extensions are not cheap. Also the taping of the clubs seamed to be too much effort for me (I do not have two club sets). So I decided to buy the optishot system and I am happy with my decision.

If it is possible for you, you should try both systems before buying them and maybe you can post your experiences here. I did the same with the launchpad and the optishot system and it turned out, that the launchpad did not meet my expectations and that for my home simulator, optishot is a very good solution.

cu
    holdarien

Lob Wedge KH29 is on a distinguished road
    Holdarien,

I would love to be able to try both systems first but I don't see how I could. No dealers for either around my area. I may just start with the Optishot and then return if I don't like it. I've also read plenty about both on the inet. In general the Proswing gets more favorable reviews but it is about 3x the $$$. The price just went up yesterday. They're bundling a new course and video capture software with the Claret package now, hence the $300 increase. I don't think taping the clubs would be a problem. As with the Optishot, most irons should read fine without it. The woods are the problem and I agree that taping over and over would get old. I've just ordered a new computer (needed it anyway so not figured into the budget). Once it arrives I'll give the Optishot a try. From all I've read it sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Putter mgoblue3 is on a distinguished road
    Great information here people~~
    Couple of questions.....I would like to get a simulator setup but was wondering (living in the US) what would be the cheapest projector that would look good, where to get the screen and where do you normally mount the projector in relation to where you stand to strike the ball?

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    local indoor range has a proswing and it is always broken and very long to get parts from the US

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

Tent and Awning

Sorry for the delay, away for Mar Break. I got my screen from a tent and awning store in Barrie. I am sure there is one in Ottawa.

optishot

You will not be disappointed with the dancing dogg 3dd. The 3d look is awesome. The irons are spot on. I do agree that the woods are slightly off at times but overall not bad. The cost is obviouslty a fraction of the proswing. I have not tried the proswing (and really can afford it), but I am very happy with the optishot and see no need in wasting extra dough for what seems to be little gain. Spend the extra dough in setting up a screen with a projector.

7 Iron ForeontheFloor is on a distinguished road
    Here's what I did when I needed a simulator. It doesn't fit in the basement but it does travel well.
    Attached Images

Wow

Looks great but needs room and money. Can't be cheap.

7 Iron ForeontheFloor is on a distinguished road
    Yes and yes

Putter NETHGOLF is on a distinguished road NETHGOLF's Avatar
    Hey,

Great to read all info on Optishot. I am thinking about buying it myself, but does anybody know something about:
    1) Is it possible to put out the hole? Does it read the puttinglines correctly?
    2) Does it do well with chips and pitches?
    3) What size of impactscreen would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Nethgolf

Hi,

1) Yes you can make putts on the system and I think optishot calculates the feedback quite good. The greens in 3DD are too slow for me, but it is ok for practicing. Putting in Tiger Woods 2008 is even better (with difficulty advanced). But in general I would not recommend to buy optishot for practicing putting. It works and the putter face angel and the speed are detected well, but, like on every other simulator I have tried until now, it isn't like putting outside where you can read the surface of the green and ...
    2) Yes, pitching and chipping is really good in 3DD. The shots are calculated exactly. Chipping is also very good in Tiger Woods, but the longer the shots the more the flight model of the ball comes into play, which is much better in 3DD. It is also ok in the Tiger Woods game, but 3DD comes closer to the real ball behavior.
    3) No idea, I use the optishot system with a net and a monitor, but my next investment for golf will also be a projector and an impactscreen for the simulator.

cu

Quote Originally Posted by mgoblue3 View Post
    Great information here people~~
    Couple of questions.....I would like to get a simulator setup but was wondering (living in the US) what would be the cheapest projector that would look good, where to get the screen and where do you normally mount the projector in relation to where you stand to strike the ball?
    Any projector with VGA or higher output (XGA) will work well, you can probably get one for between $300-$400 that will do the job.

The screen can be made or you can buy a pre-made impact screen (pre-made will be expensive). Buy some heavy canvas and cover with white material (Cordura) - this will resist impacts and give a good image at the same time.

The projector is ceiling mounted a few feet behind from where I stand, it is approx. 12' from the screen and projects an image 6' wide x 5' high.

Quote Originally Posted by NETHGOLF View Post
    Hey,

Great to read all info on Optishot. I am thinking about buying it myself, but does anybody know something about:
    1) Is it possible to put out the hole? Does it read the puttinglines correctly?
    2) Does it do well with chips and pitches?
    3) What size of impactscreen would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Nethgolf
    As Holdarien has said, the putting works on face angle and club head speed, it is hard to read the greens accurately so putting can be tricky at times.

The software cannot really distinguish between a chip and a pitch, it's all about the clubhead speed, face angle and swing path

The size of you impact screen would depend on the area you have to hit in and the distance from where you are hitting. Example, my screen is 8' wide x 7' high - the projected image from 12' away is approx. 6' wide x 5' high. My hitting mat is approx. 9' from the screen.

Complete

Set up complete. Got a video projector OX PRO Series 4, HDMI Video Projector from Bestavstore. Projecting on to a 7 by 9 screen. Overall very, very happy with this project. Thanks for all the help. Those who are thinking of buying the Dancing Dogg, do it. You will not be disapointed. I am a 4 handicap and I must say, I find it very accurate. Hitting in to the screen and watching the ball flight is most impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Set up complete. Got a video projector OX PRO Series 4, HDMI Video Projector from Bestavstore. Projecting on to a 7 by 9 screen. Overall very, very happy with this project. Thanks for all the help. Those who are thinking of buying the Dancing Dogg, do it. You will not be disapointed. I am a 4 handicap and I must say, I find it very accurate. Hitting in to the screen and watching the ball flight is most impressive.
    Bubba,
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the unit also. Are you using the P3 Almost Golf balls? If so, how do you find them?

I'm looking forward to the next update with more courses, I have heard it will be Bethpage Black - just in time for the US Open!

Thanks!

I am using the P3 Almost golf balls and really like them. I think they are the best for in door play. Thanks to you for the advise. I too heard that Bethpage may be the next course released. It would be nice to have a driving range with markers and the ability in the 3dd to give average stats as the practice zone. Hopefully that is in the works. Thanks TA.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    I am using the P3 Almost golf balls and really like them. I think they are the best for in door play. Thanks to you for the advise. I too heard that Bethpage may be the next course released. It would be nice to have a driving range with markers and the ability in the 3dd to give average stats as the practice zone. Hopefully that is in the works. Thanks TA.
    I have already requested a simple driving range during my Beta testing, hopefully they will include one in the next update... send them a "request a feature" and if enough ask I'm sure they will accomodate us.

Good idea.

Putter simtime is on a distinguished road
    Hi everyone, I am brand new to the forum. I signed up while on my commute home last night to open the boxes my new Dell arrived in. My new Dancin Dogg dedicated machine. I (correctly) assumed I too would need the help of this fine group. I bought the shot sim on ebay from a dad whose kid never looked at it, and upgraded to the 3DD, March 13th, after following this thread. I've been chomping at the bit to get up and running, so I was very happy my PC finally arived. You are also to thank for saving me a few $$, because I asked for and received the discount on the upgrade, even though the promotion had ended just a few days earlier from the dancin dogg web site.

First impressions:
    A)There is a bit if a wow factor first time you look at 3DD. This is really fun. My goal was to do something about the monotony of hitting into a net, and this will certainly cure that.
    B) Projector and Impact screen: there is no doubt that the experience will be tenfold greater with a proper setup, instead of a 20" monitor. I will be looking for something that can take hits from real balls. I have seen discussions on heavy nylon and codura. Willthat stand up to real hits?

Questions:
    1) I am a lefty and I am positive I have set the game up as a lefty. In practice mode, swing readouts are showing my clubface as severely open (8-16 degrees), and when I make a swing with an exaggerated closed face, it displays a range from 1.5 degrees open to 1.5 degrees closed. In other words as a lefty it seems I need to swing a bit outside in with an exaggerated closed face for the practice mode to give me a decent shot shape. Any ideas?

2) I did not seem to experience anything to this degree in play mode. I think it worked fine. I also only played for approx 45 min as it was getting late.

3) Is there any need/bonus/pros to using the Tiger Woods game at this point, or is 3DD the place to be.

Side note: Being from Long Island I can play Bethpage Black for $50 USD. If 3DD is anything like the real thing you may not want to go on it. Just kidding! HARD course but really a great experience!
    When I called Dancin Dogg they said they are trying to release it before the US Open (this year it is being played there)

4) I have seen discussions on heavy nylon and codura. Willthat stand up to real hits with real balls?

Sorry for being terribly long winded. I will keep to minimum going forward. I appreciate any feedback you can give.

Quote Originally Posted by simtime View Post
    Hi everyone, I am brand new to the forum. I signed up while on my commute home last night to open the boxes my new Dell arrived in. My new Dancin Dogg dedicated machine. I (correctly) assumed I too would need the help of this fine group. I bought the shot sim on ebay from a dad whose kid never looked at it, and upgraded to the 3DD, March 13th, after following this thread. I've been chomping at the bit to get up and running, so I was very happy my PC finally arived. You are also to thank for saving me a few $$, because I asked for and received the discount on the upgrade, even though the promotion had ended just a few days earlier from the dancin dogg web site.
    Welcome to the forum simtime! The is a lot of great information here, usually from "real" users and not sales people!

Questions:
    1) I am a lefty and I am positive I have set the game up as a lefty. In practice mode, swing readouts are showing my clubface as severely open (8-16 degrees), and when I make a swing with an exaggerated closed face, it displays a range from 1.5 degrees open to 1.5 degrees closed. In other words as a lefty it seems I need to swing a bit outside in with an exaggerated closed face for the practice mode to give me a decent shot shape. Any ideas?
    Make sure you have selected left handed mode in the practice software, sometimes it automatically reverts back to right handed mode. When my kids (lefties!) use the unit there is no problem. (I don't use in much any more as the practice more in 3DD is great!)

2) I did not seem to experience anything to this degree in play mode. I think it worked fine. I also only played for approx 45 min as it was getting late
    Check you woods on game play mode. I have seemed to get the swing speed under control - no tee with my driver - right off the mat & the path/clubface angle and swing speed are very accurate now.

3) Is there any need/bonus/pros to using the Tiger Woods game at this point, or is 3DD the place to be.
    Forget TW... 3DD all the way!

Side note: Being from Long Island I can play Bethpage Black for $50 USD. If 3DD is anything like the real thing you may not want to go on it. Just kidding! HARD course but really a great experience!
    Rub it in!

When I called Dancin Dogg they said they are trying to release it before the US Open (this year it is being played there)
    That's my understanding as well.

4) I have seen discussions on heavy nylon and codura. Willthat stand up to real hits with real balls?
    Not sure about heavy nylon, a few layers of cordura with a heavy backing material should be sufficient to resist impact. Make sure the screen is not too tight or it will bounce right back at you!

Mark

Welcome sim time. I have a nylon cordura 7 by 9 impact screen. I got mine from a local tent and awning store for about 90 bucks.It will work with real balls, but I use the Almost p3 practice balls which are very good. I bought a 7 by 9 hitting net for 39 dollars of the net and finally a projector. Let me tell you it is awesome. My family and friends love it. The big screen is the best. 3dd is the way to go over Tiger Woods.

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I signed up to share my Optishot experience so far. I have owned the Dancin Dogg software for over a year. I used it regularly last winter and was impressed with the system. My simulated shot dispersion and real shot dispersion were almost the same. Like some of you, I upgraded to the 3DD software and have been equally impressed, but have noticed a couple of differences from the original optishot software.
    1. The new software only gives swing path in 4 degree increments while the old software gave swingpath in 2 degree increments. I wrote to Dancin Dogg and this was the reply:

Hi Daniel,

We recalibrated the software with this release. As part of that we tuned the path. The granularity of the path is due to the sensor spacing and the new reading are accurate to +/- 2.0 degree (4 degree range). So while the previous version was showing more granularity in the path calculation, the data was not necessarily accurate.

Sincerely,
    Kurt Grafius
    DancinDogg Golf
    Upon studying the effect of the swing path on the ball flight, it became apparent that the swing path has a minor effect when compared to face angle. Not to say that I wouldn't prefer finer accuracy, but my conclusion is the 4 degree increments are acceptable to me and my shot dispersion is still extremely similar to my real life results.

2. The old software was giving me high swing speed readings. The new Optishot software seems to be better calibrated for swing speed. When checked against my SS radar, the readings were usually within 2 MPH.

3. The original software did not have face contact readouts and the new software does. It is accurate. I checked it using impact tape and it was never wrong.

Those are the main differences that I have noticed.

I have purchased a projector and I have an impact screen. My impact screen is made of rubber roofing material that is white on one side and black on the other side. I projected images on both sides and definitely get a better image on on the white side. I bought a projector with blackboard mode hoping to be able to use the black side which I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning, but the white screen won out. The rubber is heavy enough to hang very straight and flat and the image is more than acceptable. The Almost Golf balls I use rebound off the rubber about 3 feet, real balls fall pretty much straight down. This is a great simulator. Tons of fun with useful feedback.

Finally, you can break the swingpad, but I don't know how. I made the mistake of letting it set up over Christmas and somebody hit the sensor so hard, it loosened something inside the unit. I didn't see it happen. It still worked, but only on half of the swings. It was no longer under warranty, so I sent it back for a repair and D Dog sent me a whole new unit in lieu of a repair. I had the new unit within a week of mailing the damaged one back! Great service.

I'll post pics later if I get the time.

Welcome to the forum Daddyfats! Great to see you have positive experiences with the unit and service, I find them top notch as well... looking forward to seeing your pics.

I can't imagine how hard someone must have hit to loosen the unit, you probably could have found the guilty party with a bag of ice on his wrists!

Putter NETHGOLF is on a distinguished road NETHGOLF's Avatar
    Hello everybody,

I joined the forum last week to get feedback on Optishot too. I am still thinking about buying it, but all of your arguments seem pretty convincing. A question for the projectorscreen players: Do you project all the way down to the floor in order to have a better idea of how to put the hole out?

Hello everybody,

I joined the forum last week to get feedback on Optishot too. I am still thinking about buying it, but all of your arguments seem pretty convincing. A question for the projectorscreen players: Do you project all the way down to the floor in order to have a better idea of how to put the hole out?
    Welcome NETHGOLF!

I find putting the most difficult part of this set-up, the swing pad can read the putter but you cannot really read the green (it's a bit of a guess each putt!). Having the projector show the image to the floor may be helpful. My setup won't work like that as I had to dig down so I am lower than the bottom of the screen!

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    Hello everybody,

As far as putting goes, you will not be able to get a really good distance perspective, unless you are right up at the screen, and then, the image will not look that great. Even on a tap in putt, the hole looks like it is a few feet from the bottom of the screen. I find that it's better to be as far back from the screen as you can, and then try to imagine the length of the putt. My projector can zoom and scroll the image, so I can move the cup wherever I want, or make it look closer or farther, but I haven't tried this yet to know if it's worth fooling around with.
    I project all the way to the floor, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a totally realistic perspective. Alot depends on your screen size, how close or far you will be from the screen, projector capabilities, etc.
    Roughly speaking, it appears that the software is designed to place the middle of the screen at about eye level for a somewhat realistic vertical perspective. This would mean that the projected image center should be about 4-1/2 to 5 feet from the floor. That means a 9' to 10' high image, but this translates into a 12' to 16' wide image depending on the aspect ratio you use, so screen size can be a limiting factor. Also, keep in mind that the bigger the image, the farther away you need to be from the screen, or it just won't look as good, unless you go with a very expensive projector, and even then, it will look better the farther back you are.
    In the end, you have to play with your setup and decide how you like it the best.

Thread Information