CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Thanks guys. I've emailed Dancin Dogg support to see what the options are to have my unit looked at and I'll let you know. As I said, I really don't expect this to be a super accurate device - but at least something that reads open/closed faces and toe/heel position somewhat accurately. I don't think that's expecting too much.

I'm glad I joined, and I really do appreciate all the input/feedback.

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    Thanks guys. I've emailed Dancin Dogg support to see what the options are to have my unit looked at and I'll let you know. As I said, I really don't expect this to be a super accurate device - but at least something that reads open/closed faces and toe/heel position somewhat accurately. I don't think that's expecting too much.

I'm glad I joined, and I really do appreciate all the input/feedback.

You must have a defective unit. I thought I had a toe/heel problem too. Then I used impact tape and once again I was proven wrong and Optishot was right. When I placed the ball in the center, the Optishot was right every time on the toe/heel reading.
    I don't know anything about the ebay units. I know there are at least 2, maybe 3 releases. When I sent mine in for repair, they sent me a new unit instead, but only chaged me for a repair. The newest units have the locking usb port. If yours doesn't have the locking usb port, then you have one of the older units. I don't know if this matters. All I know is that mine works.

For the USB port on the side of the device I just slide the cable in...I don't see any kind of locking mechanism. I assume it would be pretty obvious if it had it?

Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    For the USB port on the side of the device I just slide the cable in...I don't see any kind of locking mechanism. I assume it would be pretty obvious if it had it?
    The usb port on the original units are the typical port that is recessed into the housing, so the side of the swing pad is smooth with the usb port recessed in. The newer units have a rectangular shield that protrudes from the housing, so when you insert the usb cable, the plug is protected. I am calling it a locking port because I think you can lock the plug in somehow, but I don't.
    If you look closely at the newest picture on the DD website, you can see the shield protruding from the side of the housing.

None of this is to say that the newer swingpads operate any differently. All I know is that when I sent in an older model for repair, they replaced it with a new model, rather than repair it.

Lob Wedge KH29 is on a distinguished road
    I also emailed Dancin Dogg yesterday afternoon. I received a reply last night that was basically just a copy of their FAQ page from their website. No help at all.

I do not have the retangular shield over my USB input so that coupled with the fact that 3DD did not come on the Optishot disk tells me I have an older unit.

I went to the range again yesterday and did not have any problem with toe hits. I actually had a pretty good swing going so I got on the DD sim when I got home. Results were better. Although I'm not fully convinced that my unit isn't defective I think part of my problem could be alignment. At least as far as the open face issue is concerned. The toe reading just doesn't add up. I hit a practice ball and it is a solid strike. My range session confirmed this.

Despite my frustration I do think I'll like the unit if I can ever solve these two problems. The 3DD looks great. I did find a place in the "preferences" section where I could adjust my distances. That helped too.

I have the shield, so mine is a newer unit.

I just went out to give it one more shot. This time I had all lights off and windows blocked, and I set up a desk lamp with a compact fluorescent bulb and had it shining down directly on the unit. Still the same results. With my heavy offset adjustments I was able to hit balls in the practice program okay (not realistic results, but at least fairly straight) so that was alright. I switched to 3DD though and it didn't seem to pick up my settings...I was using the same golfer (Player 1) which was set to my "Offset" set of clubs in the practice program, but everything was coming up way open and spraying to the right...yet again.

I think I've wasted enough time on this for now. I've sent a few emails to Dancin Dogg with no response...I'll have to try calling. I think I'm going to push to send the unit back to them to at least have them check it and confirm if it's working or not.

Time to get some work done...

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Both of you should call Dancing Dogg. My Unit works perfect. I'm a 4 handicap and it works perfect with my irons. The woods are not as good. I recently had one of my scratch buddies over and he was amazed at the accuracy. I would call the company as you probably have defective sensors. I have the Optistix driver and do agree it is more accurate but soft shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by KH29 View Post
    I also emailed Dancin Dogg yesterday afternoon. I received a reply last night that was basically just a copy of their FAQ page from their website. No help at all.

I do not have the retangular shield over my USB input so that coupled with the fact that 3DD did not come on the Optishot disk tells me I have an older unit.

I went to the range again yesterday and did not have any problem with toe hits. I actually had a pretty good swing going so I got on the DD sim when I got home. Results were better. Although I'm not fully convinced that my unit isn't defective I think part of my problem could be alignment. At least as far as the open face issue is concerned. The toe reading just doesn't add up. I hit a practice ball and it is a solid strike. My range session confirmed this.

Despite my frustration I do think I'll like the unit if I can ever solve these two problems. The 3DD looks great. I did find a place in the "preferences" section where I could adjust my distances. That helped too.
    The earlier editions of the software did not have the face contact feature. When I first started using the new software, I did not believe the readings were correct, until I started using impact tape. Actually, I used duct tape, but even masking tape will probably work. What I found is is that I get a readout of a "slight" toe or heel hit if the impact is as little as 1/8 inch off center. About 1/4" gives me a toe or heel hit. When the optishot told me it was a center hit, the mark on the tape was definetely center. Now I like the feature, because if it tells me center hit, then I know it was pure. One reason I was doubting is because the almost golf balls are nice, but don't give the same feel feedback of a real ball, so toe hits don't feel bad at all. Also, a real ball will feel like a pure impact if you are only 1/8" off center, at least for me, so that's why I checked with the impact tape.
    The optishot even gives me the correct reading of "far" heel when I shank the occasional shot. I think they should program a shank into the 3dd golf game when you make far heel contact with an iron.
    Let me know if you are getting tired of hearing about my good results when you are having problems. It's just that I've had all the same questions/problems and have taken steps to verify what's really happening. The result has been that I have become more confident in the device than I was when I first bought it.

Thanks Daddyfats. I'm not tired of hearing about your good results at all - I look forward to posting my own once I get this sorted out. My unit is still within the 180 day warranty, so I'm just waiting for Dancin Dogg's tech support to respond to me. I did get a response from another person there acknowledging my request, so hopefully I can send this in and have it looked at. There's no way it can be working correctly right now.

Thread Information