100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Question Anyone else think Clemens is screwed?

I've been listening to some of the congressional testimony this morning. In addition to Pettitte and Knoblauch, now Mike Stanton is involved.

Not looking good for the Rocket, IMO.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    i think he is in big trouble.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I've been listening to some of the congressional testimony this morning. In addition to Pettitte and Knoblauch, now Mike Stanton is involved.

I'm watching it right now in it looks to me like both the Rocket and McNamee are in trouble....

But the big question I have is wtf is congress doing investigating this.... what a waste of millions of taxpayers dollars.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    But the big question I have is wtf is congress doing investigating this.... what a waste of millions of taxpayers dollars. [/QUOTE]

I agree completely I mean who cares!!!! It wasn't illegal to use performance enhancing drugs, so why bother.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Whether it was legal at the time or not doesn't excuse Clemons for lying to congress under oath

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I'm watching it right now in it looks to me like both the Rocket and McNamee are in trouble....

But the big question I have is wtf is congress doing investigating this.... what a waste of millions of taxpayers dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    I agree completely I mean who cares!!!! It wasn't illegal to use performance enhancing drugs, so why bother.
    Actually, they are illegal. Steroids and HGH have been illegal for use in the US since 1938, anywhere outside of a legitimate doctor/patient relationship. The fact that MLB didn't have a rule against performance enhancing substances, is beside the point. That's got nothing to do with the law.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    And really, does the average fan of the game really give a rats a** anymore?? It looks like a hell of a lot of players have used them for a long time. Lying to congress is one thing, but don't make an example of a few guys when 100's have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    And really, does the average fan of the game really give a rats a** anymore?? It looks like a hell of a lot of players have used them for a long time. Lying to congress is one thing, but don't make an example of a few guys when 100's have done it.
    Have you read the Mitchell Report? There's a ton of names on it. It's a big fish, little fish thing. You don't cripple someone's navy by sinking a bunch of thier tugboats. You go after the battleships and the aircraft carriers.

Do you think that Pete Rose is the only guy to ever bet on baseball?

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I don't think we can give the Mitchell report too much salt. That's my opinion from the things I've heard about how alot of the info in it was obtained.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    My sentiments exactly.
    It's not as if this is about medical malpractice, stock market fraud, or an issue of national defense. These guys are playing a kids game that, in the big scheme of things, is completely irrelevant. The whole thing is rather bizarre.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Actually, they are illegal. Steroids and HGH have been illegal for use in the US since 1938, anywhere outside of a legitimate doctor/patient relationship. The fact that MLB didn't have a rule against performance enhancing substances, is beside the point. That's got nothing to do with the law.

I am not questioning the legality, I am questioning why congress is making a public spectacle/lynching. The point I am trying to make is that this should be in the hands of the legal system, not the law makers. Now, we will possibly have people going to jail for lying, not for the act itself.

because its the American Pastime full of history and statistics and the US government is run by old men who grew up watching it in the golden age and now this is threatening the sanctity of the sport.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The investigations that started with McGwire, Sosa, et all "established for major league baseball that the illegal spread (and baseball's prior tacit approval) of a federally controlled substance is a public health issue." Basically that the unrestricted use of illegal growth supplements and performance enhancing drugs is both bad for the players involved, but also has a trickle down effect. Younger players of various sports, as young as high school, see professional players using these drugs and think that they have to use them as well if they want to reach the major leagues. If that's the case (see the links below for examples of that), then it's certainly plausible to say that it's in the interest of the American public, and therefore Congress, to investigate and try to stop this sort of behaviour.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NG14AEB7S1.DTL
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar15.html

The previous congressional investigatation actually forced baseball to close some loopholes in it's testing, and to get serious about stopping the use of performance enhancing drugs in the game. It was silly at times with some of the sucking up to players, but it was very successful in getting results. It seems as if this investigation is even more serious than the previous one, and it certainly is going much father than the Mitchell Report did.

right but why not go after all the sports? I'd be willing to bet that the use of drugs in Track and Field, Cycling and Football far outweighs the use in Baseball. Baseball has a special place in the hearts of Americans. the others don't.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    If you think baseball is America's passtime, imagine how loud the outcry will be in Canada when they finally go after hockey....

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    right but why not go after all the sports? I'd be willing to bet that the use of drugs in Track and Field, Cycling and Football far outweighs the use in Baseball. Baseball has a special place in the hearts of Americans. the others don't.
    Because all of those other sports had testing programs and sanctions for usage and baseball didn't. They see this as a continuation of their earlier investigations. Also remember that Canada had a judicial inquiry into the use of steroids in track and field, this is hardly unique.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    The bigger waste of taxpayer money is having all of these guys sitting in their offices/golf course wasting taxpayer money doing nothing. Atleast this is giving them something to do! So actually, taxpayer money is not being wasted. lol

I am questioning why congress is making a public spectacle/lynching
    I would like a formal apology from Indio for surely offending someone in Canada with his use of the word "lynching"! If Kelly can't get away with it, neither can he! lol j/k

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Where are the Congressional hearings on the war in Iraq, or on 9/11? Or on President Bush for that matter? Don't these oafs have anything better to do?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    I would like a formal apology from Indio for surely offending someone in Canada with his use of the word "lynching"! If Kelly can't get away with it, neither can he! lol j/k

Fallys
    aka Scott

LOL I was expecting that, but from Hacker, Big Mac or No Back, not you!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I didn't have a chance to watch much of it. Saw some of the most interesting questions on TSN and Score.

Is it just me or did the Republican go after McNamee and the Democrats went after Clemens. This is unbelievable. I hope I am wrong...

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    If I lived in the US-they would probably have my mother in front of the congress---"she told me she fed me milk--fortified with iron"
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Let's keep politics out of it kids.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Based on what I heard, McNamee's story hung together more convincingly. I say this for a number of reasons. 1) It is not readily apparent what benefit he obtains for going after Clements. 2) His version of events is supported, in part, by Petite, whom even Clemens admits is a credible guy. 3) The explanation given for the MRI results (the abscess issue) was suspect. 4) The wife's acknowledged use of a similar drug before the SI shoot and Roger's reaction to her resulting circulation problem suggested that he had a familiarity with the drug that one would not have expected from someone who had never used such drugs. Keep in mind that this is an immediate reaction based on highlights only. This story is not going away.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Where are the Congressional hearings on the war in Iraq, or on 9/11? Or on President Bush for that matter? Don't these oafs have anything better to do?
    For the record, there was a 9/11 Commission that released a massive report on it.

Sorry Dan, didn't see your post before i posted this.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Based on what I heard, McNamee's story hung together more convincingly. I say this for a number of reasons. 1) It is not readily apparent what benefit he obtains for going after Clements. ...
    An unknown person becomes world-famous. Think of the appearance, book and movie revenue he will earn over the next 20 years.

perhaps, but in a sick and twisted way - I can't imagine it'd be worth it though. Anyways, he'll need a source of revenue since he's all but given up the possibility of being a baseball trainer again. Then again the track and field and cycling teams are looking for a few good men like him.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    right but why not go after all the sports?
    Why stop there? Why not go after the entertainment industry in general?
    I'm pretty sure there are quite a few young people paying attention to musicians and actors who abuse illegal substances.
    I'd name a few but I seem to have mis-remembered who they are.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Even if he is not found to be guilty of any wrong-doing, his image has been forever tarnished.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Infamy doesn't have quite the same cache as fame. In either case, they're over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    An unknown person becomes world-famous. Think of the appearance, book and movie revenue he will earn over the next 20 years.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Infamy doesn't have quite the same cache as fame. In either case, they're over-rated.
    Psychologists tell us that children act badly because it gets them attention. Some people never grow out of that.

Thread Information