100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Article on Component Heads

Picked up GOLF magazine yesterday and was shocked to read a brief article by "Dr." Tom Mase, where he stated that "components or knockoffs"..."don't perform as well as name brand clubs." He states that OEM's do a lot of R&D, implying that component companies do not, and they make driver head with inertial properties of up to 5000g/cm2. Guess that he has never heard of the Wishon 919 and other companies like SMT, Alpha Reaction, Nakashima et al. Ironically, or perhaps hypocritically, Mase works for Hot Stix, a company that retrofits/custom fits OEM's for golfers.

Those of us here who play the Wishon line, know just how good they are and if properly fitted as as good and likely better than any OEM.

I have written both GOLF and Dr. Mase telling them, politely, exactly what I think.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Perhaps Sir Tom should be made aware of this article. I'm sure he would respond to it as elequanlty as you probably did Sir B.C ?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I haven't read the article but I have read some of the reaction.

There are quite a few letters being written to GOLF and Mase. The letters are coming from clubmakers and I'm pretty Tom W. and Mike Tait (SMT) have sent letters as well.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    There is a distinction between knockoffs and components. He is probably right about knockoffs but is surely wrong about components. All clubheads have tolerances and let me tell you that quality components heads are very well within tolerances weight,loft and lies wise.
    Perhaps he should do a little more research or change the s to a z in his last name
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Tom Wishons quote from his forum

"

Status report on this. . .

I do believe Tom Mase when he says that he had no idea that the world thinks of TWGT and the other quality component companies as "component companies." So he now realizes what a mess he made with the "sweeping generalization" in his column.

"FYI, he says he thinks of TWGT and the other quality companies in this side of the industry as "mainstream companies" or "branded companies" and hence he just assumed so did all other golfers. I believe him when he says he now knows differently - I've known Tom personally for about 10 yrs and as recently as this past fall was working on a project with him in his area of expertise - shaft analysis.

So now the problem lies in getting GOLF magazine to realize something needs to be done about this, and done in a way that will be VISIBLE to all their readers. I've yet to hear back from Rob Sauerhaft about this.

So everyone, now the focus has to shift over to pressuring Rob Sauerhaft and GOLF magazine to do something about this - and not just a little tiny mention but something that will be VISIBLE to all their readers.

TOM"

Hybrid danscustom is on a distinguished road
    That's a great post from Tom. It's going to be a difficult task but should be approached with passion
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

Thread Information