CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Upcoming Rules Seminars

Golf Quebec will be holding four, Level 3 Rules of Golf seminars, in the spring. Locally, one seminar will be held at the Royal Ottawa Golf Club on May 3 and 4, and three others will be held in other Golf Quebec regions and in both English and French.

Registration is done through the Golf Quebec website and the cost is $100.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    If anyone is going, try asking about the thread BCMIST started below 'Trial Drops'

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Level 3? What happened to 1 & 2?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Yeah I would be interested in 1 & 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Level 3? What happened to 1 & 2?
    If you go to the RCGA site and click on Rules Education, the process of earning Levels 1 & 2 is outlined. The Level 1 section is under construction, however, it appears that you can access level 1 by clicking on Level 2. It's $50 but you get an RB and a new Decisions book. You are given an access code, go through the requirements and then write the test, all on line. The pass mark when Gerry B and I did this was 80%.

The Level 1 test was very simple with an emphasis on the definitions. Level 2 a little more difficult but based on your response to rules questions here, you could likely complete 2 without difficulty, right now. Once you pass the level 2 exam, you are supposed to spend 20 hours referring on course and perhaps that can be achieved via the Ottawa Golf events. After completing these two requirements you get a Level 2 certificate and can take 3, whenever it is made available.

Level 3 is a two day seminar, with some classroom work, some on course work followed by a 3+ hour exam. One is expected to have very good knowledge of the rules prior to taking 3.

Hmmm. I'm going to look into it.

go through the requirements and the write the test, all on line.
    Open book exams! I like the sound of that!

Come to think of it it seems the job of an official would be to know how to look up an answer to a situation, not to memorize all the rules and decisions.

Open book exams! I like the sound of that!

Come to think of it it seems the job of an official would be to know how to look up an answer to a situation, not to memorize all the rules and decisions.
    Exactly. With 34 rules and a thousand decisions, one would have to have a superior mind to remember all them. It seems that Gary Hill could do this. For the rest of us being able to find what to do in the least amount of time is what is emphasized as well as the procedures for dealing with golfers.

The more on course experience one gets making rulings, the easier all of this becomes. GerryB did a number of OVGA events last year and hopefully, I will be able to do a handful as well this year. My experiences last year, doing some OVGA junior events was a lot of fun.

Gerry and I have also joined a local rules discussion group, where 3 of the 4 local, Level 4 officials take part. These ladies are just amazing, and have been very helpful to the rest of us. Regardless, there is nothing wrong with acquiring knowledge, whether or not we actually officiate or learn solely for our own entertainment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    mpare carries the decisions book around in his bag. I think that's how he got the gimpy ankle. That thing weighs a ton.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Exactly. With 34 rules and a thousand decisions, one would have to have a superior mind to remember all them. It seems that Gary Hill could do this.
    Agreed. Gary is amazing. I really miss his contributions here. The man knows his stuff for sure!

I guess I always thought that studying for rules certification would require a detective's observation skills and a lawyer's grasp of evidence analysys. Well perhaps level 4 does, but I think I could handle level 2.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I've been doing a lot of reading of the decisions book and will definitely be taking the level 3 course. I worked at least a dozen tournaments last summer and it's interesting what comes up. It was especially fun doing the junior tournaments as many of them don't have a very good knowledge of the rules and that was something that we tried working on with the juniors at our club.
    I'll never forget one incident at Upper Canada where one of the competitors hit his shot into the LWH and wanted to know where he got relief and his two club lengths had him dropping on or close to the cart path. After his ball did settle on the cart path he then thought that he'd now get relief on the fairway which was to the right of the path. Well his nearest point of relief was in the crappy rough and therefore wasn't his nicest point of relief. He complained about this and didn't think it was fair but after explaining the situation to him he hit a good shot. Later he kept stopping me and asking me about different siturations that had happened at his course so he kept me busy when I got near him.
    One interesting point was when Gary Hill was on the forum and a question was asked and someone mentioned an answer from the decisions book he said to never use the decisions book. As a rules official the decisions book is basically all that is used as it also has all the rules in it plus all the different situations but it seems that there is always one not word for word.

Back to more reading

I just registered. It seems they are giving a "bye" on level 1 at this time. Apparently I'll get a level 1 number within 48 hours and then will be allowed to register for level 2. I will complete it by spring. I am enthused about this.

Once I achive level 2 I'll need 20 hours at RCGA sanctioned events. Who should I contact to volunteer?

Please could you provide a link to the rules forum you are talking about?

I just registered. It seems they are giving a "bye" on level 1 at this time. Apparently I'll get a level 1 number within 48 hours and then will be allowed to register for level 2. I will complete it by spring. I am enthused about this.

Once I achive level 2 I'll need 20 hours at RCGA sanctioned events. Who should I contact to volunteer?

Please could you provide a link to the rules forum you are talking about?
    This is great!

There is a rules forum called The Leith Society (http://www.leithsociety.com/) where many requests for rulings are made, but there is also a section for more in depth analysis of particular rules. If you are referring to the discussion group, it is in recess at the moment as all members are in the south for the winter, except me.

It appears that the OVGA will have two teams of officials this year, participating at various events. Gerry is to look after one and when he finishes his golf today, will likely chime in with more details. I am not sure who will oversee the teams, perhaps the tournament director, who is Myrtle beach for the winter. Regardless, as you are an RCGA/OVGA member and obviously keen, when the season is about to begin, information about officiating will be forthcoming.

Sounds good.

leithsociety looks like it has a lot of good info. I am not a fan of their forum software though.

Well I'm back from another day on the course. Five holes with some rain but at least it was warm.

There will be two teams working and as Lyle said the tournament director will be overseeing the teams. You could always send an email to the OVGA office through their website and let them know that you are interested in helping with some officiating. Volunteers are always welcome but unless they know they can't get in touch.
    Just a note Dan, I heard that Manderley is dropping out of the OVGA. Do you know if this is fact or not????

Yes unfortunately that's true. There are only about 40 members, so the minimum of 80 for the RCGA is a problem.

I'll be with our own Public Player Program this year.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Yes unfortunately that's true. There are only about 40 members, so the minimum of 80 for the RCGA is a problem.

I'll be with our own Public Player Program this year.
    I'm sorry for going off topic,but why so low members ? I thought they always had alot ?

I really don't know.

If you want to get an idea of what is involved in the tests try going to the USGA web site and try some of their rules quizzes. Lots of fun. The site is:

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/rules.html

I have done them several times, but I always did it by memory. I can't imagine making very many mistakes with the decisions available to look things up. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    mpare carries the decisions book around in his bag. I think that's how he got the gimpy ankle. That thing weighs a ton.
    As Gerry B and I will soon have 5 Books of Decision each, perhaps we can put one of these books in mpare's bag, but on the opposite side, as I noticed last fall that he was listing a little to the port side and it's important that every golfer be balanced when they swing.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    As Gerry B and I will soon have 5 Books of Decision each, perhaps we can put one of these books in mpare's bag, but on the opposite side, as I noticed last fall that he was listing a little to the port side and it's important that every golfer be balanced when they swing.
    Unfortunately, that list is somewhat permanent. He's developed a chronic arthritic condition in his left ankle.

p.s. I just did the Level 2 practice exam and scored 90%. I'm going to do the real one tomorrow, after a good night's sleep.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I just registered.
    it might be tax deductable for you go for level 4 baby!!!
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Unfortunately, that list is somewhat permanent. He's developed a chronic arthritic condition in his left ankle.

p.s. I just did the Level 2 practice exam and scored 90%. I'm going to do the real one tomorrow, after a good night's sleep.
    It was difficult watching Mike hobble around last fall and I hope that continued playing doesn't make his condition worse. Give him credit for being out there and still being able to play good golf.

The practice exam and the real one were of comparable difficulty so making the grade will be a breeze for you.

A thought: After getting your L2, would you consider doing the L3? I was just wondering if GQ would possible wave the 20 hour, on course requirement in order to get more golfers qualified to be officials.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    A thought: After getting your L2, would you consider doing the L3? I was just wondering if GQ would possible wave the 20 hour, on course requirement in order to get more golfers qualified to be officials.
    I would think that part of the reason for the on-course requirement is to ensure that anyone certified at level 3 has more than just "book smarts" and has proven that they can apply what they have learned. Seems logical to me. Does level 3 not give you the authority to officiate at regional and provincial events? As a competitor I would not be too amused to have someone making a ruling for me who has never had any on-course experience as an offical. (Just my opinion!)

I agree with Garth on that one.

It was difficult watching Mike hobble around last fall and I hope that continued playing doesn't make his condition worse. Give him credit for being out there and still being able to play good golf.

The practice exam and the real one were of comparable difficulty so making the grade will be a breeze for you.

I definitely want to get my level 3 (and level 4 at some point), but I don't really have any "inside the ropes" experience without a club in my hands. If I play my cards right, maybe I can do some/most of the on-course requirement during the CN Womens Open, depending on the volunteer assignment I get.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    I would think that part of the reason for the on-course requirement is to ensure that anyone certified at level 3 has more than just "book smarts" and has proven that they can apply what they have learned. Seems logical to me. Does level 3 not give you the authority to officiate at regional and provincial events? As a competitor I would not be too amused to have someone making a ruling for me who has never had any on-course experience as an official. (Just my opinion!)
    Generally speaking, L1 would see officiating done at club events, L2 some OVGA events, L3 provincial and L4 everything including the Canadian Open and CN Women's Open. There is no doubt that on course experience in officiating is hugely beneficial and necessary, and for the major OVGA and GQ tournaments, officials are L3 or L4.

However, unless one wishes to travel, there have not been a lot of L3 seminars around. One was scheduled for last spring At Royal Montreal but was canceled due to lack of interest. Hopefully this years will have enough candidates and that is why I wondered about the L2's doing L3 in May, and then getting the required on course experience locally, perhaps with the junior tournaments where more help is needed and the B class ones.

In tournaments players still have the right to play two balls, regardless of a ruling, unless the referee has been authorized by the committee to make final decisions. While the officiating needs to be done, the bulk of on course time is spent marshaling.

93% on the Level 2 exam!

I'm on my way! The thing that sucks is that I can't see which two I got wrong. Maybe I'll find out when they send my certificate.

Lob congrats and you won't find out as BC and I each missed one and we still have no idea which one.

Thread Information