CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

Carleton Golf & Yacht

Any here a member at Carleton? I am considering a membership there for this season.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I personally have never played there but I know 3 or 4 guys that are members there and they love it. Apparently members are treated very well and they have a very successful 'mens night' with good social activities.

For what its worth.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Conditions when I played it 2 years ago were excellent.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    This was my home course growing up. It is a great track. Fairly challenging with a good mix of holes. If it weren't for the location I would be a member there now as well.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road
    I joined 2 years ago, well worth the money. A new irrigation system has just been installed (this past fall) and will improve the already fantastic conditions. Head greenskeeper Joel Tricky is probably one of the best in the region. Great social activities, mens league, a new chef and head pro! All of the staff are very accomodating.
    A bit of a drive but once you are in the car what's an extra 10 minutes! The only negative is the range, no grass tees and limited flight balls for woods.

CG&YC is actually the closest private course to my home 5-7mins away. I have only played the course once and that was 6 or 7 years ago in a scramble so I don't remember much about it.

How many members are there and how difficult is it to get tee times?

There are about 575 members (I think they will max out at 600 or so), tee times are easy to get, 7 day advance booking, on weekends there is a ballot system, generally you will golf within a 1/2 hour of the time you would like to play if not at the time you book! Same holds true for mens night (Wednesdays), it's all done online and I've never been disappointed.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Played the course quite often as a Junior in the OVGA tournaments. Conditions were always A+, but I never did like the course. I just found it flat and rather bland coming from playing courses in the Valley. I remember the staff being extremely good when I was there, especially to a junior.

If you like the layout then and you live that close, probably hard to beat.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    What is a membership there worth?

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar

4 jag

I am a member at CGYC and on one of the committees. Please PM me for some info and I can fill you in.

Just to correct some incorrect statements. There are slightly less than 500 golfing members. I have been a member there for some time, and although I live in Kanata, I spend most of my summer at the club.

Let me know if you want some info.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    What is a membership there worth?
    http://www.carletongolf.com/membersh...hipdetails.asp
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Just to correct some incorrect statements. There are slightly less than 500 golfing members.
    My apologies for the incorrect number of members I indicated, according to the AGM report there were approx. 550 members (this includes non-golfing social members).

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Wow! that would be so easy and close for me. Don't you club members get bored playing the same course all the time though?

I haven't seen much mention of this course before. Rideauview seems more popular in this site. Seems really useful that you can join annually for up to 4 years before paying an initiation fee.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Wow! that would be so easy and close for me. Don't you club members get bored playing the same course all the time though?
    Personally I don't get bored, I average 45/50 rounds per year.

I haven't seen much mention of this course before. Rideauview seems more popular in this site. Seems really useful that you can join annually for up to 4 years before paying an initiation fee.
    That's why it's called the "hidden treasure on the Rideau"!!

The other nice thing about the annual membership is that you can apply 75% the premium you pay towards your initiation should you decide to join within the 4 years.

Lil Brit,

You would really enjoy the course as we have some of the best women's plyers in the region playing out of CGYC. The reason you don't hear about our club on this forum, is because the members of most private clubs are very happy with their clubs and have no need to post here. I have noticed that a lot of negative comments are made on these forums about Fully Private clubs or Clublink etc by people that are not members of said clubs. If you polled the actual members, I think the trend would be that they are pretty happy or they would not be coming back year after year after year.

In response to your question about getting bored playing the same club, I play about 100 rounds a year at CGYC, and also play in OVGA / QGA tournaments. I have never once been bored playing the "same course." Private Clubs are all about what you make it to be. In my opinion the people are what make a private club, and we all have a great time golfing then socializing as members in that setting. There is always something going on for the membership.

You should come and experience the course this spring. I will be happy to introduce you to some of the women and men at the club, and get you out for a round. You'll see that while being a great course, the people are even better.
    Last edited by marcf; 02-12-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling / typing

Well said Marc!

Lil Brit,

You would really enjoy the course as we have some of the best women's plyers in the region playing out of CGYC. The reason you don't hear about our club on this forum, is because the memebers of most private clubs are very happy with their clubs and have no need to post here. I have noticed that a lot of negative comments are made on these forums about Fully Private clubs or Clublink etc by people that are not members of said clubs. If you polled the actual members, I think the trend would be that they are pretty happy or they would not be coming back year after year after year.

In response to your question about getting bored playing the same club, I play about 100 rounds a year at CGYC, and also play in OVGA / QGA tournaments. I have never once been bored playing the "same course." Private Clubs are all about what you make it to be. In my opinion the people are what make a private club, and we all have a great time golfing then socializing as members in that setting. There is always something going on for the membership.

You should come and experience the course this spring. I will be happy to introduce you to some of the women and men at the club, and get you out for a round. You'll see that while being a great course, the poeple are even better.

Thanks for all the info Marc, sounds really interesting. I live within about 3 mins of the club so it would be easy to become more involved in the activities.

The thing for me is that my husband doesn't play much. Still actively working longish hours, so I would likely be on my own most of the time. (he isn't into golf quite as much as me either) Guilt makes me usually only play a couple of times a week max too. It would be pretty handy to be so close though. Quick game and home in time for lunch.

Thanks for the invite for a round and meet and greet. I will probably take you up on that. I play mainly Emerald Links at the moment.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    I would say they have one of the best head pro's in Ottawa! Gord is a stand up guy!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Don't you club members get bored playing the same course all the time though?
    Never, as long as the course is enjoyable to play and consistently challenging. Have been a member a 5 different local clubs, both private and semi private, over 48 years and I cannot imagine NOT being a member some where. Currently at Greensmere, we will soon complete our 4th nine and so there is a wide variety of holes to play and so boredom is not an issue. Frequent OVGA and invitational tournaments and occasional trips to other courses, adds to the variety.

Since being a member at Carleton for 7 years in the early 1980's the course has greatly improved, thanks to the work of Joel and his staff and the natural maturing of the trees. While the course in not long, most fairways are very narrow and the greens are small, overall, making it a classic shot makers course. It has only one hill, on #13 so it is very easy to walk.

Private and semi private clubs are essentially the same as much of the enjoyment comes from the many different people that you play with and the competitions that are available, plus the social activities that are organized. I remember Carleton members as being a very sociable group so membership is something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Never, as long as the course is enjoyable to play and consistently challenging. Have been a member a 5 different local clubs, both private and semi private, over 48 years and I cannot imagine NOT being a member some where. Currently at Greensmere, we will soon complete our 4th nine and so there is a wide variety of holes to play and so boredom is not an issue. Frequent OVGA and invitational tournaments and occasional trips to other courses, adds to the variety.

Since being a member at Carleton for 7 years in the early 1980's the course has greatly improved, thanks to the work of Joel and his staff and the natural maturing of the trees. While the course in not long, most fairways are very narrow and the greens are small, overall, making it a classic shot makers course. It has only one hill, on #13 so it is very easy to walk.

Private and semi private clubs are essentially the same as much of the enjoyment comes from the many different people that you play with and the competitions that are available, plus the social activities that are organized. I remember Carleton members as being a very sociable group so membership is something to consider.

Ahh..the legendary Mount Carleton raises it's evil head and makes you remember how physically taxing it is...nice to see it got mentioned here!

1 Iron golfmajic is on a distinguished road
    Folks, what about Rivermead as a possible private course to belong to. I have played as guest and really enjoyed my round of golf. I have no details about initiation or fees.
    The old clubhouse is great.
    Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by golfmajic View Post
    Folks, what about Rivermead as a possible private course to belong to. I have played as guest and really enjoyed my round of golf. I have no details about initiation or fees.
    Just a thought!

Great club, great course...thread started about CGYC due to location of course for 4Jag. Read post #6.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Just a thought!
    Great club, great course...thread started about CGYC due to location of course for 4Jag. Read post #6.

Marc has it right golfmajic, if you want to learn more about Rivermead feel free to start your own thread. I'm sure some members here can answer your questions.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The last 2 years as a member, I played 100 rounds at my home course. Prior to that I played all over the place. I thought I'd get bored playing one course a lot.

Now I find a few "away rounds" a year is plenty. My home course (Manderley) has 27 holes which is a plus. The big thing is that I really enjoy playing "the course" which changes day by day, and yet is always familiar. If that makes any sense.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

1 Iron golfmajic is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Marc has it right golfmajic, if you want to learn more about Rivermead feel free to start your own thread. I'm sure some members here can answer your questions.
    BYE Guys!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    BYE Guys!
    Have fun!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    The last 2 years as a member, I played 100 rounds at my home course. Prior to that I played all over the place. I thought I'd get bored playing one course a lot.

Now I find a few "away rounds" a year is plenty. My home course (Manderley) has 27 holes which is a plus. The big thing is that I really enjoy playing "the course" which changes day by day, and yet is always familiar. If that makes any sense.
    I understand what you are saying. I guess my home course would be Emerald Links, that is where I go alone to practice and get a game with whoever is on the next available tee. It has the 27 too. The other courses I play with my friends would be Manderley, Meadows, Metcalfe, etc. I may not play enough for a membership somewhere though. Usually only about twice a week.

There are a lot of attractions to Carleton. It would be great to be so close and the events and social aspects sound like a lot of fun. I do think I would play much more if I joined there.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

Thanks for the info BC. I prefer a shotmakers type course. I would think that most women do. The social aspect is definately worth considering too.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I understand what you are saying. I guess my home course would be Emerald Links, that is where I go alone to practice and get a game with whoever is on the next available tee. It has the 27 too. The other courses I play with my friends would be Manderley, Meadows, Metcalfe, etc. I may not play enough for a membership somewhere though. Usually only about twice a week.

There are a lot of attractions to Carleton. It would be great to be so close and the events and social aspects sound like a lot of fun. I do think I would play much more if I joined there.
    Little Brit,

Here's some math for you. Playing twice a week starting in mid-April and finishing the end of October gets you just over 50 rounds in a year. At last year's fees, not including initiation, at 50 rounds, you would be paying just over $50/round. If you go to any social events or play the ladies night, the bar tab is nothing. Plus the time saved driving to Meadows, Metcalfe, etc may give you an extra 9 or two a week. The biggest advantage of having a membership for me is just slipping out for a quick 9 after work or anytime that I can squeeze it in.

Also, if you can get a couple more friends interested, you could always try to make a deal on the initiation!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

In line with what Colby is saying, I believe that the decision to join a private course is a lot more then just a cost/round question.

For many golfers, myself included the cost per round alone would not justify the initation + annual dues. I realistically will play 40-50 rounds this year. It is the intangibles - league play, competitions, social activities, comaraderie - that makes the investment worthwhile.

Thread Information