100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Emery Did it Again

So TSN are reporting that Ray Emery was late for practice today and that the coach was furious and sent him back to the hotel.

Is this the end of Emery in Ottawa? or with Gerber's less than stellar season so far, do they have to keep him around?

What should they do?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    send him to the minors and renegotiate his contract
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chieflongtee

That would be nice but I think he would need to clear waivers and the Sens would be on the hook for half his contract.
    Not much they can do, the Sens pretty much have theur hands tied with this guy. If they want to move him now is not the time. He needs to play, and play better, and then they can start shopping him around. Obviously, he's decreased his value by giving the entire league the impression he has a pathetic work ethic.
    I say keep him around until someone other teams' goalie gets hurt and they're in a weak bargaining positon. Unfortunately Emery needs game time to be of any real value.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Hmm.. I don't see them suspending him. Probably a fine. Bruce can certainly stir the pot, though..
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Bottom line is that this guy is a classic primadonna. Being a primadonna is fine if you're on top of your game and stopping everything in sight, but he's not even close to be in top form.

Send him home until you work out a deal. Let him fester.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    A big deal about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Its a slow sports day... Tiger is travelling to Qatar and theres no hockey tonight

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I really don't know why some people think this is not a big deal. I am the first one to defend athlete, but Emery went over the line. He is not 4 minutes late, he had to be on the ice at 4:00. He still has to find his stuff, get dress, do a bit of stretching, etc...

The coach organize the practice from 4:00 to 5:00 for example. All the drills are organize with 2 goalies in mind. He HAS to be there on time, he is paid well to be there.

I am sure after 4 days off, the coach had a good practice organize with some skating drill early in the practice...

I think he is in trouble this time. They already gave him a few chances...

Doode had four days off. Doode can't seem to make it to the rink for a 4 PM practice, never mind being on the ice on time.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    it would be no big deal if it were anyone else. it has become a big deal since it is Emery.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    A big deal about nothing if it were someone who hasn't done this in a while. Heck, it happens to all of us once in a while. You're on the phone for a conference call and it runs over, so you show up a bit late for a meeting. You apologize, and I'm quite sure you do everything in your power not to let it happen again. If you do, and you continue to repeat the pattern of behaviour, you're sending a strong signal to those who care to show up on time that a) you don't care as much as they do about what you are trying to accomplish as a team or group and b) that you don't respect their time, and are essentially wasting their time, especially considering how your position as a goaltender in practice is vital to how drills are organized. Essentially, this guy is giving his team mates, the coaches, and the management clear signals that he really doesn't care to be there any longer. Simple as that.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    it would be no big deal if it were anyone else. it has become a big deal since it is Emery.
    Precisely, because it's a pattern of behaviour.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    I really don't know why some people think this is not a big deal. I am the first one to defend athlete, but Emery went over the line. He is not 4 minutes late, he had to be on the ice at 4:00. He still has to find his stuff, get dress, do a bit of stretching, etc...

The coach organize the practice from 4:00 to 5:00 for example. All the drills are organize with 2 goalies in mind. He HAS to be there on time, he is paid well to be there.

I am sure after 4 days off, the coach had a good practice organize with some skating drill early in the practice...

I think he is in trouble this time. They already gave him a few chances...
    The TSN report was saying that Paddock wants his guys there an hour before the practice starts, which means Emery was supposed to be there at 3:00, so that technically is 1:04 late. The guys were already on the ice when he showed up. Nice job of supporting your teammates, especially when you are being paid to be there!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    he went to the wrong rink. i think they need to hire him a babysitter
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar

Emery

I can't beleive this guy. I was so rooting for him to do well this year after helping them to the finals last year (not leading, just helping). I'm so sick of his sh*#! Brian Murray should just eat the loss and send him to the minors permanently! If someone picks him up on waivers so be it. Call up Jeff Glass and be done with it. He can play 7 or 8 of the last 30 games and this gives Gerber a chance to really become #1.
    Done!

You would think at 3+ million a year he could afford a cell phone with US roaming capability!
    Colby

If this is the case, and he made an honest mistake, some leeway may be granted by management. But really, these guys are told where to be and when. My 9 year old son knows where and when his practices and games are, and knows how far in advance we need to leave to get there on time, so Ray's 'excuses' may only go so far.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Yup, would need to clear waivers, and you can almost guarantee he'd get picked up. But, on the way down ,the Sens aren't on the hook for half of his contract, thats only on the way back up.

However, you can't renegotiate a contract. The last CBA has a clause saying this. For the benefit of the players and the teams, pretty much prevents "Yashin" situations.

Sending him down should be a last resort. There's gotta be (at a minimum) a 2nd round pick out there. or we'll have to take on someone elses salary.

Plus we still need a goalie.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    Hmm.. I don't see them suspending him. Probably a fine. Bruce can certainly stir the pot, though..
    The Sun is reporting it will be a fine only, like that is going to get thru this guys thick, wealthy skull.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    The Sun is reporting it will be a fine only, like that is going to get thru this guys thick, wealthy skull.
    Don't kid, Emery is gonzo to the first team that ponies up a bag of pucks.....I still think we'll see him in a Kings Jersey sooner rather than later

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Don't kid, Emery is gonzo to the first team that ponies up a bag of pucks.....I still think we'll see him in a Kings Jersey sooner rather than later

As long as we don't see him in a Sharks jersey!

My opinion, he thinks he is above the team rules. To show up that late is inexcusible, whether you are an NHL'er or a Pee Wee player.

He needs to grow up and step into the real world. Maybe some bus trips down in the Minors, (not the AHL either) would help his attitude. ECHL might be a good fit for about one month. Riding the bus and carrying his own equipment bag & sticks
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Interesting article.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...00155-sun.html

Senators general manager Bryan Murray, who did admit he has tried to move the goalie with no takers, said minutes ago that Emery will be fined the maximum that the NHL's Collective Bargaining Agreement allows. It was not immediately clear how much that will be. Emery has also been told -- again -- that he has to live up the team's expectations

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=228442&hubname=

Murray also admitted that did not rule out trading his young goaltender.

"I certainly have talked to some teams about goaltending," he explained. "At this moment, most teams feel satisfied with their goaltending, so there isn't any opportunity at the moment. The option is to leave him at home and not let him play and I don't know if I want to do that at this point in time."

Baxter
    All this trouble for a Back Up Goalie......Well at least he has a stick out in the new Mc D's stick collection........lol

Now the player's union says they will appeal the fine because they feel he did not technically miss the practice, he was late which is a $250 for the first time and $500 for the second. They say since he was turned away by the coach it is not his fault he missed the practice.

The saga continues. Sad actualy because he has so much potential

In today's Ottawa Sun Earl McRae has says George Chuvalo called Emery a few months back and Emery didn't return his call. That seems really odd since Emery counts Chuvalo as one of his boxing heros and had his mug painted on his mask last year. One would think if one of your 'hero's' left you a message you would call him back. It just makes me think that whatever Emery's problem(s) are, they're formidable.

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...01154-sun.html

I know if Jack Nicklaus left me a message asking to call him back, I'd probably return his call.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    They can send him down hopping someone picks him up. Now I’m aware that on the way backup some other team can pick him up for half the price but what happens if they bring him back up after the trade deadline or just before the playoffs? Is there still a risk of losing him and still be stuck with half him pay? If not, that would be a kick in the nuts for Emery.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Well, I can't comment on whether it's true or not. I think he's a competitor, and he wants to play (which is a good thing...you don't want a guy who is going to lose his starting job and be happy about it). I would also think that he's as mad at himself as anybody. Sure, he lost his job through injury, but at the same time, he knows he hasn't played well enough to earn it back. Unfortunately for him, when he does play a decent game like last night, the team collapses around him and allows 4 glorious point blank chances. I hope Paddock puts him in for the next game, as I think he did earn it last night. He wasn't spectacular, but the team lost because the defence fell apart (again), not because Emery didn't play well enough.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Well, I can't comment on whether it's true or not. I think he's a competitor, and he wants to play (which is a good thing...you don't want a guy who is going to lose his starting job and be happy about it). I would also think that he's as mad at himself as anybody. Sure, he lost his job through injury, but at the same time, he knows he hasn't played well enough to earn it back. Unfortunately for him, when he does play a decent game like last night, the team collapses around him and allows 4 glorious point blank chances. I hope Paddock puts him in for the next game, as I think he did earn it last night. He wasn't spectacular, but the team lost because the defence fell apart (again), not because Emery didn't play well enough.
    The defense and team really look lost without Alfie .

Thread Information