CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    In hot market, they also work less since it takes a lot less effort to sell a house.
    I've never purchased a house so I'm posing the question so that I'd know better, but aside from the house possibly selling quicker, wouldn't the amount of work generally be the same? Isn't there more that a RE agent does than just show the house, or does a lawyer generally take care of that stuff?

I'll concede that maybe there will be less trips to show the house because there is more interest in purchasing, but the rest of the work would stay the same, correct?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    No I probably wouldn't have tipped ont he $50. But now that you bring it up I guess it is deserved.

Is Mr. Kilbank looking for some tips? how about 10 cents a post? Something like that seems fair.

SillyWilly you baller, get out your chequebook.
    Has Geoff emailed you asking you to shut the heck up??? GJ would be down over a G note right now
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    the longer the house is on the market, the more they will have to show it, the more open houses, and general leg work involved. It may also mean having to work through multiple offers that don't go through which all takes time since during negotiations, there are deadlines and he might have to go back in forth.

In hot markets, houses sell pretty quickly since demand is high and supply is low. Our last house sold in 3 days, with the first offer.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    shouldn't the guy who made the food get the tip???
    Usually they do.
    The wait staff ususally gives a predetermined % of their tips to the bus boy, bar staff, greeters and kitchen staff.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I'd say in general I'm a bad tipper. When the service is good then I leave a really good tip but the service is rarely good. If you go to an average box store restaurant most of the waiting staff barely asks how you are and because of the nature of the restaurant rsuh you out to get the next person in. If I order $70 bill why should I pay an extra 10-14 bucks for someone walking 10 feet, dropping it on the table and walking back 30 seconds later before i've had my first bite to ask how is it, when they couldn't care less. I'd rather order at a window and pick it up myself and save the money.
    Now when I go to a restaurant and the waiter is nice, helps you with the menu items and makes my dinning experience better then I think they deserve to be tipped well. I think the Europe and Asia have a much better tipping system where they don't expect as much for nothing. You can say that it's a crappy job and they don't make much but that's a load of crap. I washed dishes in a restaurant when I was younger. I got paid less base pay and had no tips and did 10 times the work. I thought it was crap and got a new job. If you don't like your job, find a new one. You don't have the education for a better job, upgrade. I shouldn't have to pay you for your life decisions.

That should get things going!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Never in my life will I use an agent to sell a home/cottage. I've sold my cottage privately and we just sold our house privately (one viewing, 100% of asking price). Buying a house, yes I can see the use.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Never thought the thread would go this long; but a lot of good points brought up.

a) Who started the "tipping" in the first place?

b) Why should you tip more for an exspensive meal than a cheaper one----same amount of work (I don't mean a seven course deal)

c) Why should the "bus boy" share the tip. Granted he is getting minimum wage but in most cases they have nothing to do with your service---he is cleaning after---the same as the person that comes and cleans the floors.

d) Why should the "hostess" share the tip----she is usually tall -good looking etc etc and I know she is not being paid minimum wage

e) Most "chefs" are certainly not paid minimum either

f) Nobody I know tips at the A/w or Harvy's or Burger King

g) As I said way back--the server can make your meal an "event"----most servers I know are usually students or single mothers trying to better their education or trying to raise children on their own. These people are "working" and "deserving"

Great bebate---I don't have any more answers
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I'd say I spend too much money tipping, and I generally try to hide my bill from the other members of our party so they don't feel cheap. I know of a few friends that might not think so highly of my tipping. I'd say 20% would be about what I would tip.

Issues I have with tipping is that now, you're not being served by one person. The server essentially takes your order, might bring your drinks and then brings your bill. There are a couple of restaurants that I can go out to where I'll ask to be seated in a particular servers area so that I know my dining experience will be well taken care of.

On brutal service, I'm getting progressively more ornary with people. Also part of the reason why we ask for a specific server at certain restaurants. A zero tip is a good indication to the person that regardless of what kind of day you're having based on non-work related issues, leave it at home. I don't treat people like a bag of hell on days I wish I could, so I won't put up with yours. A good tip for good service will promote good service in the future.

The other thing that drives me nuts is some restaurants will charge a minimum gratuity (usually 18%) for parties of 10-15 or more. Servers have in every situation I've seen, provide the bare minimum service for that party in order to attempt to justify their 18%. In New York City 3 years ago we had "Didn't Make It As A Model" serving us and we were 11 so they tacked on the 18%. We asked to be separate bills and she obliged, but put the 18% on each bill. She was a real piece of work and we spoke with the manager and told him that we weren't paying that gratuity. He told us to pay what we felt was appropriate, so we gave her nothing and walked. She was so classless that while we were deciding what to do, she was about 8 ft from our table and arguing with her manager. Didn't help us feel bad for her.

The pizza delivery person tipping I usually will, but under great duress. Being charged $5 for a delivery charge is a slap in the face. I won't give more than a couple of bucks to a delivery guy. If I find out that they do something to my food because of it the next time I order, you can always notify the various better business bureau groups about it. Now, if you're ordering pizza during a snow storm, I would think you should expect to pay more for a tip if you're giving one because you're asking someone to go out in weather that you are not willing to go out in yourself. In Canada, you pay for convenience.

Finally, I was in the retail business for 5 years, 2 of which were as an assistant manager with the "Moores: Clothing for Men" chain. Our commission was included on our T4 slips so we could never think of the opportunity of having tax free dollars. Arguably in that store, selling suits, you're working for 30-45 mins with a client to ensure proper fit, doing the pinning for alterations, assisting in accessories with the suits, etc and I felt we were far more deserving of a tip than any server I've ever had serve me. Sure it's a biased statement, but I could've had a much easier time going through school and working if I was getting tips on the side. Once you walk into a restaurant, you just feel obligated to give a tip. On Hoolio's point about doing the research, there really wasn't much that someone could do to come into Moores, grab the suit off the shelf themselves and take it to the front, unless they want to do the alterations themselves.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Thread Information