CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Why, though? It's his job to deliver your pizza. Do you tip the postman? This is what I don't get. The delivery guy adds nothing to the dining experience. He gives you your food then leaves. I understand tipping waitresses, as they are an integral part of the whole dining experience. I just don't get tipping the delivery guy. The only reason we do it is so that the actual pizza place doesn't have to pay them a decent wage.
    You must understand the concept of 'convention'. Elsewhere it works differently, but here tips are considered when setting the wage of the food server or pizza delivery guy. That's just how it works.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    ...For Pizza guys, $2-3 or about 10% usually. ...
    Same here, except for the 10% thing. Pizza delivery gets $3-$5 from me, dpeending on speed.

Buffet -around 10%, unless they are really quick picking up dirty dishes, bringing extra condiments and replenishing drinks - then it may rise to 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    You must understand the concept of 'convention'. Elsewhere it works differently, but here tips are considered when setting the wage of the food server or pizza delivery guy. That's just how it works.
    Food servers have a lower minimum wage - expecting tips to supplement them- pizza drivers don't.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    same thing goes for cab drivers, hair dressers, massage therapists, etc. I think in some respects the whole tipping things is out of control, especially in the US. They have tip jars at McDonalds and Starbucks in the US.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Food servers have a lower minimum wage - expecting tips to supplement them- pizza drivers don't.
    Just because it's not as low as the server minimum wage doesn't mean it's not a consideration. I doubt you'd get many pizza drivers willing to work simply for minimum wage. If no one tipped, then the pizza drivers would need to be paid more, and you would be charged more for your pizza. So option A or option B, same cost, at least with option A you have a little more control.

... If no one tipped, then the pizza drivers would need to be paid more, ....
    As I said, I do tip them.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I just think it's a dumb convention, and I really wonder how it got started. I mean, tipping the server makes sense. But who came up with the brilliant idea of tipping a delivery driver?

BTW. Is anybody else reminded of the opening to Reservoir Dogs? I friggin love that scene.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road

tips

tips, i think at one ime stood for "too insure prompt service"...and service is what i go
    by...usually ther server has no controll over food quality so i cant blame him if
    something isnt good..if the service is prompt and friendly and im looked after well
    its around 20%. I do have on exception...when im paying the bill, and the server ask me if i want my change, the tip drops to zero...i feel that no matter what the change it should always be brought back to the table then the tip given, soon as im asked for a tip.."do u want your change" i say yes and leave none.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    ...when im paying the bill, and the server ask me if i want my change, the tip drops to zero....
    When I don't want change, I am always proactive, saying "That's good!" when they arrive to pick up the cash. The rude ones look inside to see how much the tip is before they say "Thank you."

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    someone in my building ordered pizza and it came to $70... they tipped $2 and the driver was furious! He was swearing at them, calling them cheap #$## and a few other things. The weather wasn't the greatest yesterday either. Should a pizza guy get more if the weather was bad and he got you your food on time??

Last week, I noticed on my pizza delivery bill there was a delivery charge from Pizza Pizza. Maybe I might have missed something, but when did pizza joints start charging for delivery??

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    ... but when did pizza joints start charging for delivery??
    Delivery charge means no tip.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    for those of you who don't tip... don't you feel weird?? what if you are with someone and dinner is on you... they tip but you don't, aren't you worried about looking like a cheap ass infront of your clients, friends, partner... i tip because I don't want anyone to think I'm cheap. I don't give a rats ass about the service. Actually, the worse the service... the more I will tip!! Then people will think, wow.. depe is a baller, the service was brutal and he still gave him 25% I wonder what he tips when the service is awesome?!?!?!
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I'm kinda surprised about the comments on being reluctant to tip delivery drivers. Delivery drivers ordinarily are paid exactly the same minimum wage as waiters and waitresses, except for the fact they have to drive their car over to your house to get your food to you and pay for their own gas.
    In most cases, stores such as Pizza Pizza which charge for delivery use that money to supplement the minimum wage they pay to delivery drivers NOT TO COMPENSATE FOR A LACK OF TIPS FOR THE DRIVER. The driver who delivered your pizza doesn't get any of that money.
    In any case I always tip delivery drivers VERY well. And I usually get a very warm pizza and a big smile from the regular folks who deliver to me.
    I also know several delivery drivers very well and I know exactly what they think of and how they treat customers who are lousy tippers.... consider yourselves warned LOL!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I think it is amazing how and for what people tip?
    Servers don't make a great wage but the amount we tip puts them well above minimum wage and they are not paying taxes on that income.
    Having worked in the industry, I am speaking the truth.
    I have friends who work as waitresses 3 nights per week, making $300 per shift in tips, meaning over $45,000 per year of money in their pockets!!! So they all thank you...

Now let me ask you this... There is a HUGE shortage of retail workers in cities across Canada. They get paid minimum wage in most cases, which is only $2 more than servers. Do you ever think of tipping a salesperson in a store? They only make $80 more in wages than a server per week (40 hrs x $2 more per hour). If you walk into Golf Town and get great service, do you ever think of tipping the guy/girl helping you?

You might be surprised that many servers are making more than minimum wage. They start at the bottom but if they stick around, their wages climb and next thin you know, they are putting more money in their pockets than someone earning $70,000 per year working 40 hours a week.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Are you completely disregarding commission that many sales people work on?

Servers (and the rest of the staff) are performing a task which you've opted not to do yourself, cooking at home. You have an option there, but you've decided to save yourself some work and go out and have everything taken care of. For most people, the service they get will dictate the tip they leave.

When I walk into a place like Future Shop, I never have any intention of talking to a sales rep because I've already done the research on what I want and at this point probably know more about the product I'm buying (and its alternatives) than the person who's going to walk up to me and ask if I need help.

Off the top of my head, the only thing I could think of walking into a place to buy where I need assistance most of the time would be shoes. Only because in most places the shoes in my size are in the back, and the salesman has to go get them. This isn't my fault, so I wouldn't consider tipping them, but I would hope they receive a commission for the assistance they provide. I'm sure there are other examples of things like this, but a well informed customer should probably need the bare minimum of assistance when purchasing anything that doesn't require any sort of major assembly.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

The absolute worst tipping situation, in my opinion, is...

A group of people (or couples) goes out for dinner. Person A says "Pay me for yours, and I'll put it all on my credit card." I have seen cases where Person A actually doesn't pay for their meal, as the "tip" they leave on the card is so small, the other people's tips cover Person A's meal, tax and tip.

I now always ask for separate checks.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Are you completely disregarding commission that many sales people work on?

Servers (and the rest of the staff) are performing a task which you've opted not to do yourself, cooking at home. You have an option there, but you've decided to save yourself some work and go out and have everything taken care of. For most people, the service they get will dictate the tip they leave.

When I walk into a place like Future Shop, I never have any intention of talking to a sales rep because I've already done the research on what I want and at this point probably know more about the product I'm buying (and its alternatives) than the person who's going to walk up to me and ask if I need help.
    2 problems with this:

we only tip when the person brings the food to our table, why dont you tip at fast food? cause they dont carry it that extra 15 steps for you? Dont get me wrong, I dont tip them either, but its out of convention, they've still taken my order, got my drink and brought me my food. All i did was walked a few steps to my table with it, then over to the garbage afterwards, so thats what, maybe 75% of the job waitresses do? but we dont give a 5% tip to these people....

Some places (like future shop) don't give commission.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Why is a $24 steak worth a bigger tip than a $6 burger in the same establishment? The same serving effort is involved.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Here is scneario for you... real and true and it just shows the mentality some have with respect to tipping...

2 years ago, when working in a bar/restaurant, we sold tickets for our New Years Eve dinner. It was $50 per couple, for their meal, party hats, champagne and live music. You had to buy tickets in advance so guarantee a spot.

On New years Eve, I served 1 table of 6, 2 tables of 4, a table of 8 and and a table of 10. Thats 16 couples.

At the end of the night, 3/4 of the people tipped me on their drink bills only. They never thought of tipping based on the amount of work I had to do, or the amount their meals actually cost them. They simply looked at their bills and tipped 15% or somewhere around that amount...

What would you have done as a customer?

Would you have tipped based on the $50 previously paid several weeks in advance?

And be honest...

We use certificates fairly regularly and we always tip based on the whole bill, if drinks are coverd by the certs or not.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    ...Would you have tipped based on the $50 previously paid several weeks in advance?

And be honest...
    Yes. At least, I hope I would have.

Whenever we use a coupon, or receive a "manager's discount", I tip on the gross amount.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    No I probably wouldn't have tipped ont he $50. But now that you bring it up I guess it is deserved.

Is Mr. Kilbank looking for some tips? how about 10 cents a post? Something like that seems fair.

SillyWilly you baller, get out your chequebook.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Is Mr. Kilbank looking for some tips? how about 10 cents a post? Something like that seems fair.
    Sound's great! Paypal accepted!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Would you consider trades?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Here is scneario for you... real and true and it just shows the mentality some have with respect to tipping...

2 years ago, when working in a bar/restaurant, we sold tickets for our New Years Eve dinner. It was $50 per couple, for their meal, party hats, champagne and live music. You had to buy tickets in advance so guarantee a spot.

On New years Eve, I served 1 table of 6, 2 tables of 4, a table of 8 and and a table of 10. Thats 16 couples.

At the end of the night, 3/4 of the people tipped me on their drink bills only. They never thought of tipping based on the amount of work I had to do, or the amount their meals actually cost them. They simply looked at their bills and tipped 15% or somewhere around that amount...

What would you have done as a customer?

Would you have tipped based on the $50 previously paid several weeks in advance?

And be honest...
    Honestly? Well, first off, I'd be wondering where I got the money for a fifty dollar meal. But once I'd figured that out, I probably would have tipped based on the bill I was given. I would have stared at it for 5 minutes trying to figure out what the tip actually was (math is not my thing), then I would have left that tip without even a thought that I was not paying my fair share.

I think in that situation it's as much out of habit as anything...you tip based on your bill. As someone else said, now that you've laid it out as you have, I might think twice about it. But otherwise, it likely wouldn't have crossed my mind.

However, being New Years Eve, I can promise the drink bill would have been large enough to leave you with a hefty tip.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Why is a $24 steak worth a bigger tip than a $6 burger in the same establishment? The same serving effort is involved.
    the same reason real estate agents get paid a percentage instead of a flat fee. Funny how the price of housing in this city has more or less doubled in the past 10 years yet in a hot market, its easier to sell a house and they get paid more as the prices go up.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Delivery charge means no tip.
    Well, that's what I thought. But I asked the guy he said the delivery charge doesn't go to him. Even weirder, he didn't seem to expect a tip from me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    the same reason real estate agents get paid a percentage instead of a flat fee. Funny how the price of housing in this city has more or less doubled in the past 10 years yet in a hot market, its easier to sell a house and they get paid more as the prices go up.
    In hot market, they also work less since it takes a lot less effort to sell a house.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    shouldn't the guy who made the food get the tip???
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Thread Information