CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Don't you just hate it when you have to yell to your playing partner because his clubs are making so much noise
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Don't you just hate it when you have to yell to your playing partner because his clubs are making so much noise
    Nah, I'm deaf on a golf course
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Sets bought at Canadian Tire don't count

You're retired now so we'll see how long you keep your current Ford -and if you believe that the factory applied clear coat offers much in the way or rust protection you've been breathing too many fumes My old man made a lot of money off of people thinking the same thing (he owned the largest auto repair shop in the Maritimes). Let's just say that the first thing that he did when he got his new Infiniti QX56 home was apply a 'Real' clear coat to it

oh yeah and Bananas grow on trees, not bushes
    When I take my Focus back in June after the lease runs out do you want me to send you a digital of my new FORD? Of course I will continue to drive Ford products.
    First off I have $30,000 buyout cash to be used towards a new Ford, so that will go towards the new vehicle, likely a Mustang.
    Second, I collect a pension from Ford, so I will continue to support them. A foreign auto manufacturer does not pay my pension!

As for clear coat, I realize it does not prevent rust. The Electroplating helps prevent rust. Then the prime, then the base coat then the clearcoat. I know the process as I worked in Paint Shop for 25 years BTW Ford uses 2K Clearcoat process.

As for members at my course using CTC clubs. Uhhhhhh I don't think so. Private Club, lots of bags filled with high end clubs There might be 5-10 bags with iron covers on them, and that is out of 500 bags. So that is a very small percentage of members who believe in using iron covers.

You won't change my mind, I think they look cheesy. Always have and always will. Headcovers on metal woods, fine. Not on irons. Besides when I carry I love the sound of my Pings rattling in the bag. And there was no damage to those irons this past summer.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    When I take my Focus back in June after the lease runs out do you want me to send you a digital of my new FORD? Of course I will continue to drive Ford products.
    First off I have $30,000 buyout cash to be used towards a new Ford, so that will go towards the new vehicle, likely a Mustang.
    Second, I collect a pension from Ford, so I will continue to support them. A foreign auto manufacturer does not pay my pension!

As for clear coat, I realize it does not prevent rust. The Electroplating helps prevent rust. Then the prime, then the base coat then the clearcoat. I know the process as I worked in Paint Shop for 25 years BTW Ford uses 2K Clearcoat process.

As for members at my course using CTC clubs. Uhhhhhh I don't think so. Private Club, lots of bags filled with high end clubs There might be 5-10 bags with iron covers on them, and that is out of 500 bags. So that is a very small percentage of members who believe in using iron covers.

You won't change my mind, I think they look cheesy. Always have and always will. Headcovers on metal woods, fine. Not on irons. Besides when I carry I love the sound of my Pings rattling in the bag. And there was no damage to those irons this past summer.
    Thanks for the offer mon ami but I'll pass on the Stang pic - I got a GT-350 for my 16th Birthday (the 20th Anniv. Edition) Me thinks that Mr. Ford doesn't make em like that any more - but man what I wouldn't give to still have that car today

Sand Wedge Pinseeker is on a distinguished road
    Wow, quite the debate guys. It really comes down to a matter of taste/opinions I guess. I will try them and see what kind of opinion I will have after that. Just want my R7's to stay nice a purty....plus I hate hearing them clank as I always carry my clubs.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Thanks for the offer mon ami but I'll pass on the Stang pic - I got a GT-350 for my 16th Birthday (the 20th Anniv. Edition) Me thinks that Mr. Ford doesn't make em like that any more - but man what I wouldn't give to still have that car today
    And I'm sure you didn't cover that beauty up when you rolled into a parking lot .

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    And I'm sure you didn't cover that beauty up when you rolled into a parking lot .
    No, but I always parked away from other cars and it went into the garage the second I got home.....

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    IMO iron covers look lame as heck; It's a gosh darn iron that you will be hitting the ground with lot's of force... Putting a headcover on Driver is different as it has such a large area that can get scratched and per unit it's soo expensive that it's worth maintaining... Irons on the other hand ar IRONS who cares.

I think anyone who puts iron covers on is particularly anal.

Quote Originally Posted by dH View Post
    IMO iron covers look lame as heck; It's a gosh darn iron that you will be hitting the ground with lot's of force... Putting a headcover on Driver is different as it has such a large area that can get scratched and per unit it's soo expensive that it's worth maintaining... Irons on the other hand ar IRONS who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by dH View Post
    That's a little extreme IMO.

Some of use take pride in our equipment and like to maintain it....some of you obviously don't feel that way - leave it at that

8 Iron LBlack14 is on a distinguished road
    Covers on all. More $$$ and easier to sell when it's time to move 'em.
    Not much on signatures eh ?

I think anyone who doesn't ia particularly lazy and slobbish.

Quote Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post
    I think anyone who doesn't ia particularly lazy and slobbish.
    So you call the majority of golfers lazy and slobs? All PGA, LPGA, European, Nationwide etc players are lazy and slobs?

I am not lazy nor am I a slob. I just prefer not to have iron covers on my irons. Not having cover on my irons in the past did not effect the trade value. What effects trade in value is the amount of play a set of irons has on them. I played well over 600 rounds with a set of TaylorMade 200's during 5 years of play. Those irons were not banged up other than from normal play. I traded them after 5 years and got a decent trade in amount for the age of those irons.

To each his own, but don't call me, or other members of this forum a slob because we chose not to use iron covers. Some of us just do not like having them on our irons.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    he had a happy face at the end of his comment so please read the sarcasm, as well he was responding to the anal comment - again, meant with sarcasm.

I think everyone needs to chill on this topic. Personally, I don't like the looks of them, but see why people would use them. I now have forged clubs and may consider getting some to maintain them, but I haven't made a decision yet. To each his own.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    So you call the majority of golfers lazy and slobs? All PGA, LPGA, European, Nationwide etc players are lazy and slobs?

I am not lazy nor am I a slob. I just prefer not to have iron covers on my irons. Not having cover on my irons in the past did not effect the trade value. What effects trade in value is the amount of play a set of irons has on them. I played well over 600 rounds with a set of TaylorMade 200's during 5 years of play. Those irons were not banged up other than from normal play. I traded them after 5 years and got a decent trade in amount for the age of those irons.

To each his own, but don't call me, or other members of this forum a slob because we chose not to use iron covers. Some of us just do not like having them on our irons.
    Here, I meant no offense. Like you said "to each his own", but if your trading your clubs in, your getting TOOK anyway. Trade-in is a whole lot different than selling to private owners. If you and I have the same set of irons for sale and yours went without covers and mine had covers, whos do you think would sell quicker and for more money? LPGA and PGA players don't spend their cash on equipment. They get paid to play equipment. If I knew I could get whatever I want anytime I want for nothing, I wouldn't use them either! I don't and I don't "Trade-in" my clubs. PGA Value Guide is BS. They're in with OEMs to devalue clubs because they come out with numerous models every year and it makes people trade-in quick to have more value. Re-sell your stuff and you'll get more money for it. I think that's good business. Make sense? Does to me. Thanks and have a Great Day!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I currently play in 3 leagues and countless smaller matches and I can honestly say I don't know anybody that uses iron head covers, that includes two pros that I know of also. I have bought a set of iron covers years ago but only used them maybe a week and decided it was too much like work to take them off and put them back on during a round. They may be a good thing to have on after a round in the trunk but I don't do it. I use a pull cart and don't really notice a lot of noise coming from the clubs while I walk but I'm sure you will get more jostling if you carry you bags or ride your powered cart over uneven surfaces. I would not comment on someone using iron headcovers cause I would just think that they are trying to protect the heads from damage, but I have found in my case it really isn't necessary. Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post
    Here, I meant no offense. Like you said "to each his own", but if your trading your clubs in, your getting TOOK anyway. Trade-in is a whole lot different than selling to private owners. If you and I have the same set of irons for sale and yours went without covers and mine had covers, whos do you think would sell quicker and for more money? LPGA and PGA players don't spend their cash on equipment. They get paid to play equipment. If I knew I could get whatever I want anytime I want for nothing, I wouldn't use them either! I don't and I don't "Trade-in" my clubs. PGA Value Guide is BS. They're in with OEMs to devalue clubs because they come out with numerous models every year and it makes people trade-in quick to have more value. Re-sell your stuff and you'll get more money for it. I think that's good business. Make sense? Does to me. Thanks and have a Great Day!
    First off I do not trade my clubs in at a "BIG BOX GOLF RETAILER"
    If you have then you were "TOOK"
    I deal with a local independent golf retailer and I am treated very well when it comes to trade ins.

Second, I can't be bothered listing items for sale, having people call or contact me then not follow through or try to low ball me on my price.
    Plus I do not go through a set of irons once a month so I do not worry about trading or selling irons.

I will say this, and this comes from experience. Anyone who tries trading clubs in a big box store better know well in advance that they are going to get about 1/4 or less for their clubs than I will if I trade in at the local store. I have seen the trade in allowances from Golf Town and those are a joke.

My argument is, irons should not get beat to hell under normal bag conditions. I have played and carried clubs for 25 summers and I think I should know what my irons look like, since they are in my possession.

But you are taking time to post here, yes? The fact is most irons do get "beat to hell" as you call it. I do buy, sell and trade, that's why I like to keep what i use in the best shape possible. If you don't think they get beat, your in denial. What do you think all the clatter is? Maybe you don't care, as much as alot of others, what they look like. In that case, good for you. I am "ANAL" about the appearence of all my equipment, YES!

No arguement, FACT.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Only on this board could people get so worked up about the use of iron covers

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I'm almost ashamed to say that this thought just struck me but can it also be said that many times a person doesn't use iron head covers because he wants to show off his expensive shiney clubs. Maybe a little gamemanship going on (nobody can hit those blades, so he must be good or this person has some old clubs, he must not play that often, I think I'll suggest a little game between us ) The whole idea being that the person wants you to see his clubs. Hmmm...interesting theory but I think it's just the drugs from the 60's coming home to roost

Thread Information