CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sand Wedge Pinseeker is on a distinguished road

Opinions: Iron Covers

I did a search of the forum on the subject and found the forum split on whether to use them or not. I received a set of Iron covers this past christmas and am sitting on the fence whether to use them or not. Visually I don't mind them as they fit well, have a zipper for making on and offs easy. What do you guys think of this set? Also do I really have to worry about moisture with my R7 CGB Max Irons or is it only forged irons that people need to worry about. My clubs are new and would like them to stay looking that way.

Steve

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I am not a fan of the iron covers but I use them anyway.. I play a very soft forged iron and a year later they look new..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    As someone who has to deal with cleaning clubs all day I hate irons covers. They hold moisture inside, dirt too.

I used forged irons for two summers and carried my clubs. The irons had some bag chatter but not enough to bother me. Adds character!]

I carry my clubs most of my rounds and having covers on them means pulling it off, setting it on the bag, or stuffing it in a back pocket. Forget that.

I have covers on my woods to prevent paint chips, there is no paint on my irons.

JMO.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Using an iron cover add about 10 seconds to your shot if that IMO. I pull my cover off of the iron as I'm removing it from the bag and slip it into my pocket. Play my shot, wipe off my iron, cover back on, back into the bag - no biggie at all.

Personally the 'Character' that comes from not protecting your irons, especially forged heads, makes them look like crap and will seriously reduce the resale value of your clubs.

If you like dings, dents and scratches all over your clubs and plan on keeping them forever then go without the covers.

If you like irons that look like new year after year and hold their resale value well, use your covers.

Personally, the work involved in using them or the perceived inconvenience is minimal to none IMO.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I used them all last season , and the x-tours still look like new.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    I put them on every other iron.Clubs look new and never bang.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I am somewhat schizophrenic on the "look" of my clubs.

I play soft forged blades, clean them religiously, and redo the paint fill every season to keep them looking sweet.

That being said, I'll never put iron covers on them. Iron covers are for sissies.

I'm not really worried about resale since I like to play mine until they are "done".
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I am somewhat schizophrenic on the "look" of my clubs.

I play soft forged blades, clean them religiously, and redo the paint fill every season to keep them looking sweet.

That being said, I'll never put iron covers on them. Iron covers are for sissies.

I'm not really worried about resale since I like to play mine until they are "done".

I wish I was like you .. (how many times have you heard that?? )...however I use iron covers and I clean my clubs.. then something else catches my eye and I sell my nice clean clubs and buy something else...
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Covers on every other club is a good idea, never thought of that. Mine are too beaten up to bother protecting them any longer, I wish I had used them when I 1st got them, because they were mint then...

What about my new spin-milleds? They have yet to hit a ball, they are just sitting there.. looking strange next to the other irons in my bag. Maybe I'll get a couple for them.
    Andrew

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    What about my new spin-milleds? They have yet to hit a ball, they are just sitting there.. looking strange next to the other irons in my bag. Maybe I'll get a couple for them.
    Or just buy some new irons... Just give me a model number and I'll keep feeding you links.

I'll agree with GB on the fact that if you work in a back shop, they are your biggest nightmare (along with those stupid PVC tubes people put in their bag). That being said, I think my next set of irons will be getting some covers assuming they're in 9+ shape when I get them. My 670's were mint when I got them, but with my fondness of letting the 3 wheeler roll down every hill at full speed on its own, the chatter is starting to build up.

I really hate those stupid plastic tube dividers. I'm getting angry just thinking about them right now...
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I like letting my three wheeler run free also, I think I might get a couple iron covers for my wedges.

Maybe some of those tubes, too (see avatar)
    Andrew

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Don't be surprised if your phone rings at 3am this weekend.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    I personally prefer covers because they do protect the heads. I hate the "CHARACTER" left by bag chatter!

Problem with forged is they trap the moisture and will cause rust.
    I think I have have a fix.
    I have a sample of a product that removes rust and leaves a protective finish. It actually bonds molecularly to the metal, without leaving a coating or affecting the finish.

If it is as good as he says, I will have covers back on my irons for sure.

I will test them when i go away in March!

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Golf View Post
    I personally prefer covers because they do protect the heads. I hate the "CHARACTER" left by bag chatter!

Problem with forged is they trap the moisture and will cause rust.
    I think I have have a fix.
    I have a sample of a product that removes rust and leaves a protective finish. It actually bonds molecularly to the metal, without leaving a coating or affecting the finish.

If it is as good as he says, I will have covers back on my irons for sure.

I will test them when i go away in March!
    I'll be anxiously awaiting your test results....

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I'll be anxiously awaiting your test results....

I am definitely interested in your results as well!!!

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar

Iron Covers

I use them for their Q-U-I-E-T-N-E-S-S! A big guy like me with 2 left feet lumbering down the fairway with a bunch of irons knocking into each other is a VERY annoying sound! With the covers on I get peace and quiet and get some quality quiet time to think about the bad drive I just hit and the bad iron shot I'm going to hit! Like Hacker said, pull it off when your pulling the club out of your bag, stick it in your pocket and do the opposite after you've hit your shot! I use the ClubGlove Neoprene ones, they come in black or gold at GT for about $35. Also, if you're a MASTER club HO like St. Micheal it helps with the re-sale value! LOL!Jeff

Thanks for the help guys. I have decided to try a few rounds with them once mother nature co-operates with us golfers. I also like the look of these particular iron cover as they match my other headcovers and golf bag.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjones59 View Post
    I use them for their Q-U-I-E-T-N-E-S-S! A big guy like me with 2 left feet lumbering down the fairway with a bunch of irons knocking into each other is a VERY annoying sound! With the covers on I get peace and quiet and get some quality quiet time to think about the bad drive I just hit and the bad iron shot I'm going to hit! Like Hacker said, pull it off when your pulling the club out of your bag, stick it in your pocket and do the opposite after you've hit your shot! I use the ClubGlove Neoprene ones, they come in black or gold at GT for about $35. Also, if you're a MASTER club HO like St. Micheal it helps with the re-sale value! LOL!Jeff
    Now that sound is what I enjoy hearing while I walk down the fairways.

I just do no like the looks of irons that have head covers on them. I have never used them in 25 years and I will never put them on my irons. I do not find my irons being damaged, and yes I did have forged irons in my bag for two summers.

I think riding around in power carts is one of best ways to have your irons bounced around ni your bag. While using a push cart once in awhile I never hear my irons clanking around.

Bottom line I just do not like iron covers

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I hate the looks of my covers but again love the looks of my clubs.. I have used them for a couple years now and have had no rusting at all.. It it rains when I come home the covers come off to dry.. Also I clean my clubs after every round and leave the covers off for the clubs to dry..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I like the look of beat up irons ... My apexs were really soft and looked like they'd been to war after a few seasons. I'll always cover woods though, chipped paint doesn't have the same weathered look
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    What's the point in having nice pristine irons if the only time you see them is the 15 seconds you're taking a shot with them? Take off the covers and enjoy the art that is a well made golf club.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    What's the point in having nice pristine irons if the only time you see them is the 15 seconds you're taking a shot with them? Take off the covers and enjoy the art that is a well made golf club.
    I tried using that same logic wrt my wife and her insistence at wearing clothes around the house..............

Didn't turn out as I'd hoped

I tried using that same logic wrt my wife and her insistence at wearing clothes around the house..............

Didn't turn out as I'd hoped
    Come on Scotty Boy we are talking about irons, not women!

When was the last time you saw a PGA caddy pulling off iron covers And do not use the excuse that they can get new irons once a month. Sure they can, but I doubt if they do.

I am going to start a petition to ban Iron Covers

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Come on Scotty Boy we are talking about irons, not women!

When was the last time you saw a PGA caddy pulling off iron covers And do not use the excuse that they can get new irons once a month. Sure they can, but I doubt if they do.

I am going to start a petition to ban Iron Covers
    You should protect the things that you love. We wax and rust check our cars, we cover prized shrubs and trees and greens in the winter to protect them from the elements, we put sun screen on our children, we should also use iron covers to protect our beloved clubs from the elements and other environmental hazards!

I'm going to petition the members at your course to institute a MANDATORY COVER policy - time to make the boys in the back shop earn their pay. When I was a young man working in the back shop we had to clean clubs with a tooth brush...no club cleaning machines for us. Nothing like a little elbow grease and a good firm toothbrush to get a golf club clean........and here you are complaining about having to remove a head cover.

All this BS about covers causing rust etc. is just rhetoric being spewed by lazy back room workers

You should protect the things that you love. We wax and rust check our cars, we cover prized shrubs and trees and greens in the winter to protect them from the elements, we put sun screen on our children, we should also use iron covers to protect our beloved clubs from the elements and other environmental hazards!

I'm going to petition the members at your course to institute a MANDATORY COVER policy - time to make the boys in the back shop earn their pay. When I was a young man working in the back shop we had to clean clubs with a tooth brush...no club cleaning machines for us. Nothing like a little elbow grease and a good firm toothbrush to get a golf club clean........and here you are complaining about having to remove a head cover.

All this BS about covers causing rust etc. is just rhetoric being spewed by lazy back room workers
    Sorry to say but I clean clubs by hand! And yes I have seen rust on some irons that have covers on them.

Not many irons covers in use at my course. Most of the members do not drag their clubs around behind them or the power carts
    So they do not get damaged, and yes there are forged irons in some bags.

I do not was my car, that is why auto companies use clear coat during the paint process! Plus I never own a car long enough for it to rust

I do not cover my bushes in the winter, I live in the Banana Belt!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Sure, you cover your convertible when you put it away for the winter. But once the sun is out and you're going to be using it every day, you uncover the thing, let it shine, and let the world become green with envy. You don't cover it up every time you pull into a parking lot, do you? No, you let it sit there to be admired.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Do my new Nike's come with covers?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Do my new Nike's come with covers?
    Sure, if you want to pay for em

Other wise they'll go on one of my other sets

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Sorry to say but I clean clubs by hand! And yes I have seen rust on some irons that have covers on them.

Not many irons covers in use at my course. Most of the members do not drag their clubs around behind them or the power carts
    So they do not get damaged, and yes there are forged irons in some bags.

I do not was my car, that is why auto companies use clear coat during the paint process! Plus I never own a car long enough for it to rust

I do not cover my bushes in the winter, I live in the Banana Belt!
    Sets bought at Canadian Tire don't count

You're retired now so we'll see how long you keep your current Ford -and if you believe that the factory applied clear coat offers much in the way or rust protection you've been breathing too many fumes My old man made a lot of money off of people thinking the same thing (he owned the largest auto repair shop in the Maritimes). Let's just say that the first thing that he did when he got his new Infiniti QX56 home was apply a 'Real' clear coat to it

oh yeah and Bananas grow on trees, not bushes

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Sure, if you want to pay for em

Other wise they'll go on one of my other sets
    I will pass thank you very much! (since I am the back room schmuck that will have to clean them)
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information