CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Sick of Tiger

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    For those of you who don't LOVE watching Tiger, just watch the European Tour and other tours when they are on. It is great golf!!!

And for all you experts and Tiger lovers... What would NBC and CBS and all the US networks do if Tiger was European???
    NBC and ABC would broadcast golf tournaments. Just like they did before Tiger came along. In case you are too young, there was televised golf before Woods turned Pro

I do agree European Tour Golf is great to watch. I enjoy watching those telecasts.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    You see much tennis coverage these days outside of the grand slam? They have a 'Tiger' who is European. Not quite the same coverage as when the big stars (Agassi and Sampras or Connors and McEnroe) were American.
    It would be the same if we had a world-class player from Canada. Canadian broadcasting do the same thing with Sid the kid. It’s normal to be patriotic and give you people maximum coverage of your countryman athlete especially if he is the best in the world. Look at Gretzki and that was in the 80-90. Imagine if his prime was today…..
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    LOL! We've been through that. Do a search on Johnny Miller!

Oh No!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/colum...ron&id=3229732

Read the last sentence in that article. It's so true!

" Man, I'd hate to be someone who hates reading about Tiger this year."

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    That is so true. I have flipped back and forth on the issue of the media and Tiger. I have to say I have conciously decided to give in and enjoy watching Tiger again. The man is simply a force to be reconed with. The only thing missing when comparing him to the great Jack Nicklaus is Arnie & Gary. I'd love to see other players rise to become a true rival to Tiger. Here's to anyone who can truly challenge him. For now we will watch Tiger lap the field. Say what you will, but he IS that good right now.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Dear Tiger,

I am writing you this little post in case you are sifting through the thousands of world wide golf forums for any posts which may contain your name. So that they can find other people whose behinds you have not kicked lately.

Years ago I wasn an avid Formula 1 and Ayrton Senna fan and used to wake up at all odd hours of the night to watch every races. Ayrton passed away shortly after a youg upstart named Michael Schumacher came into the racing scene(He is already part of the freak of nature club which you are the president of). Anyhow, he single handedly ruined my love of F1 racing by winning every damned thing. It got to the point that I lost my love of motorsports and F1 in total.

I am writing you this to inform you that little by little you are doing the same with golf for me. Yes, it is true that although I never raced in F1 before ( Just some solo1,2 and drag racing), I do play golf and that may carry me through watching your dominance. But then again, what is the fun of watching a tournament with you in it, if I already know you are going to win?

Further, it has gotten to the point that the golf tournaments on TV only seem to focus on you, as if no one else exists on the course. I can hardly catch a glimpse of my favorite player, Vijay.

I know you gotta put bread on the table, but I beg you to please enter as few tournaments as possible so I may have something to watch.

Regards and thanks,
    Reza

P.S. If even Ernie Els accidentally soils his pants at the prospect of catching you (See hole 72 of the Dubai desert classic), what chance does the rest of the tour have? Perhaps you should do as Roy Jones Jr. did in his boxing prime, before a fighting match. He played a semi pro game of basketball befoe getting in the ring and walloping his opponent. Maybe you could run a Triathalon finishing with a bike ride to the first tee?????

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey Rez---are you begging?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Hey Rez, he only plays about 20 to 25% of the tournaments as it is and they want him to play more.... be thankful he only plays 6 or 7 outside of the majors
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    i would love to see him play 30 tourneys on year... set a crazy record that no one will ever touch for season earnings, wins in a season and any other record that you have a better chance of beating ifyou play in more tourns
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    i would love to see him play 30 tourneys on year... set a crazy record that no one will ever touch for season earnings, wins in a season and any other record that you have a better chance of beating ifyou play in more tourns
    He will probably do it this year anyway.......

YES!
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Hey Rez---are you begging?

I'd be more thankful if the PGA tour acknowledged that there are other people playing than TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Hey Rez, he only plays about 20 to 25% of the tournaments as it is and they want him to play more.... be thankful he only plays 6 or 7 outside of the majors

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    This was a great post! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    I'd be more thankful if the PGA tour acknowledged that there are other people playing than TW.
    They do acknowledge the 'B' flight, they just don't show them often cause they don't want to piss the sponsors off

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Indio, it's not like you to stir the pot...

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    Indio, it's not like you to stir the pot...
    I clicked on the wrong emoticon, I would never stir the pot in here.... not my style

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I knew it had to be a mistake

I knew it had to be a mistake
    I knew you would understand, its just the type of big hearted guy you are

What are the chances Tiger goes 3/3?

What are the chances Tiger goes 3/3?
    I for one would not bet against it

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    me neither, unless it was for money, then maybe.

I will put my money on Tiger going 3/3

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post

Years ago I wasn an avid Formula 1 and Ayrton Senna fan and used to wake up at all odd hours of the night to watch every races. Ayrton passed away shortly after a youg upstart named Michael Schumacher came into the racing scene(He is already part of the freak of nature club which you are the president of). Anyhow, he single handedly ruined my love of F1 racing by winning every damned thing. It got to the point that I lost my love of motorsports and F1 in total.

Just trying to understand here...

You liked when F1 was all Ayrton, but not when it was all Michael. Is it that your hero was gone, and you were unwilling to elevate the successor to hero status?

In every sport, there are the stars. When they are in their prime, they are the centrepoint of the sport. As examples, Senna, Schumacher, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Magic, Bird, Nash, Ruth, Bonds, Gretzky, Lafleur, Orr, Sorenstam, McEnroe, etc.

If you don't like the star, you lose interest in the sport. Perhaps you like the person, not excellence at the sport.

Personally, I wish the media would be less inclined to publicize details of the players personal lives. It draws people to a "hero" rather than a "star". I like watching a golfer playing greatly. I was a Greg Norman fan (and am very excited that I may get to see him (on TV) play in the AT&T). Does that mean that I lost interest when he succomed to back problems and his playing time decreased? No, because, I learned to like watching good golfers. Am I happy that he divorced his wife and got together with Chris? No, but, that does not affect my admiration for the game of golf, nor my consideration of the caliber of player he was in his prime.

Just my $0.02 as an amateur psychologist.

3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    not quite as much, and not to the same numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    NBC and ABC would broadcast golf tournaments. Just like they did before Tiger came along. In case you are too young, there was televised golf before Woods turned Pro

I do agree European Tour Golf is great to watch. I enjoy watching those telecasts.

Dear Sharkshooter. An amatuer psychologist, you are not.

As far as formula one is concerned, I liked Ayrton Senna. But not because he won everything, but because of his style of driving. It was great that he won as much as he did. And to clarify, he was NEVER my hero. NO SPORTS figure has even been my hero or will be one because of what they do in their sport.

I did not choose to like or dislike Schumacher. I just got tired of him winning everything (he is arguably a more dominant driver than Senna was). And lost interest in events whose outcome was already practically guaranteed.

As for the world of golf, I neither love, or hate Tiger. I acknowledge the fact that he is beyond anything golf has even seen. He does things others can't even imagine. Simply the best ever. But I am getting a bit tired of seeing him win everything. And everyone melt away in his presence.

More over I am tired of the lack of coverage anyone else gets when he is on the course. That is not his fault, but it is a fact.

And of course I like the person instead of excellence. I did say I am rooting for Vijay. I did say Schumacher was probably better than Senna. Had Senna not died, I would have still cheered him on, instead of Schumacher. If we all just cheered excellence on, instead of people, we would all be Tiger fans...

I have not lost interest in golf, I have lost interest in seeing only the Tiger angle.

And I am not quite sure why you bring personal lives into your commentary about my post, as I did not. Besides which my post was meant to not be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Just trying to understand here...

You liked when F1 was all Ayrton, but not when it was all Michael. Is it that your hero was gone, and you were unwilling to elevate the successor to hero status?

In every sport, there are the stars. When they are in their prime, they are the centrepoint of the sport. As examples, Senna, Schumacher, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Magic, Bird, Nash, Ruth, Bonds, Gretzky, Lafleur, Orr, Sorenstam, McEnroe, etc.

If you don't like the star, you lose interest in the sport. Perhaps you like the person, not excellence at the sport.

Personally, I wish the media would be less inclined to publicize details of the players personal lives. It draws people to a "hero" rather than a "star". I like watching a golfer playing greatly. I was a Greg Norman fan (and am very excited that I may get to see him (on TV) play in the AT&T). Does that mean that I lost interest when he succomed to back problems and his playing time decreased? No, because, I learned to like watching good golfers. Am I happy that he divorced his wife and got together with Chris? No, but, that does not affect my admiration for the game of golf, nor my consideration of the caliber of player he was in his prime.

Just my $0.02 as an amateur psychologist.

Putter fredblogs is on a distinguished road

Sick of Tiger?

I think you nailed it... aren't there any other stories? The answer is no. The only stories about other players seem to be about why they can't compete with Tiger.

Thread Information