CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sick of Tiger

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by pheenster View Post
    The fans are who make their entire lifestyle (huge paycheques, private jets, smoking hot significant others, etc., etc.) possible. Without the fans and the TV ratings they generate, they're just guys who can hit a little ball better than the rest of us.
    So? hey if it's really a problem. The fans will stay away and the market will adjust. Ratings will fall, Attendance will fall and Prize money will go away. Then the players will have to respond. For now Let's just stop complaining about it. Please.

9 Iron pheenster is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    So? hey if it's really a problem. The fans will stay away and the market will adjust. Ratings will fall, Attendance will fall and Prize money will go away. Then the players will have to respond. For now Let's just stop complaining about it. Please.
    Who was complaining? My point was that the fans pay the freight. If the players find that annoying, too bad.

Personally, I find people who scream "Get in the hole" after Tiger's tee shot on a par 5 annoying. But the guy paid for his ticket, so if he wants to bellow at the top of his lungs just to get his voice on TV, who am I to complain?

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Maybe I should have titled this thread "Sick of the Media's coverage of Tiger".
    Like most people here I think Tiger is amazing! And another dominant win yesterday to tie Arnie is awesome. I hope he passes Jack before he's 35. I just wish we'd see more of the other golfers especially when Tiger is running away with the tournament. If you watch Nascar or F1 for instance, if someone is running away with the race they start to focus on the race for second or fifth to keep it interesting. Yesterday I would like to have seen more of the rookie Freelman, I think his name was, and what he did, good or bad. I didn't see the whole broadcast, but how did Freddie do? I saw him hit one shot. There are 60 some other golfers out there on the weekend we can watch rather than see Tiger lift and replace his ball because of casual water.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    The thing is we are Canadians and a very small part of the PGA market. Everyone in the States loves Tiger. The proof is on the size of the crowds following Tiger from round one to round 4. If one quarter of the tournament crowd is following one group every round, which proves that the need for TV coverage is there for that specific player. The media react to what they see. Money is everything. In Canada we are a measly ~33M in population, less then the population in California alone. They don’t care that we want to see MikeW.

Until we have Canadian coverage at PGA tournament it won’t change. And I bet that if we had CDN coverage, Tiger would still take up most of the coverage.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Last I checked Tiger just won an event by 8 strokes... We all know how massive that is.

TBH - If they started showing LESS Tiger after wins like this; there would be much more UPROAR saying "WHERE IS MY TIGER COVERAGE" then this scenario where we have people complaining about too much coverage. How do you not give someone extensive coverage when they are 1) arguably the largest draw and 2) beating people so bad it's almost embarassing.

Is there a level above pro? If so I think Tiger's found it because he's making the rest of these "pro's" look like club pro's.

Let the coverage continue until someone else does anything news worthy. Like that other guy said; hearing about Phil lose weight or Will Mac going snowboarding... Yawn.

Also remember that these guys all have HUGE ego's so I wonder what it feels like being on the PRO TOUR and getting beaten like you're a junior in highschool taking on a college player...

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong i love watching Tiger or anyone playing great golf.He makes it look so easy.I think what most people don't like is when Tiger is not being shown they still never stop talking about him.And when he makes an average shot they make sound so hard.Then the next guy hits the same shot and they say that was okay. But lets face it when a player dominates like he does what do you expect.Its like that in every sport when a team or player dominates thats all they talk about.Just my opinion.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I think even most fans of Tiger would rather watch Furyk hit an approach shot than watch Tiger walk up the fairway between shots. I want to see every shot Tiger makes, but I'm okay with missing a few steps here and there to see other golfers.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I think even most fans of Tiger would rather watch Furyk hit an approach shot than watch Tiger walk up the fairway between shots. I want to see every shot Tiger makes, but I'm okay with missing a few steps here and there to see other golfers.
    This is exactly the same issue I have with the telecasts. Of course everyone wants to see Tiger's shots.

However after he tees off and the other members of his group step up to tee off I would rather see them hit their shots than watch Woods and Super Caddie in the background.

I also agree with foxman, Woods hits an everyday approach shot and the announcers make it sound like it was the best shot in history.

Joe Durant hits the same shot and nothing is said about that shot.

Some people have taken Tiger and raised him up to the Status of God. Sorry to say, golf was here long before Mr Woods anounced "Here I am word" Golf will be here long after Tiger retires.

Will purses drop after he leaves the scene? Hard to say. There are too many factors involved with sponsorships for golf tournaments. The economy plays a big role. So to say Woods has caused the purses to increase by huge amounts, that might not be the case. Of course we will never know. However purses have increased before Tiger arrived, every year more money was available to win.

Tiger Lovers don't get me wrong. I agree Tiger is certainly the best player in golf at the present time. He may go on to beat Jack's record for the number of Majors. If so then we are all watching a special time during the history of the great game of golf.

Superstars get coverage, and that is just the way it is and will be. But I do agree the networks could back off a wee bit when it comes to Woods. Two weeks of Tiger on TGC. Please, dig up some old Shell's Wonderful World Of Golf!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH View Post
    Last I checked Tiger just won an event by 8 strokes... We all know how massive that is.

TBH - If they started showing LESS Tiger after wins like this; there would be much more UPROAR saying "WHERE IS MY TIGER COVERAGE" then this scenario where we have people complaining about too much coverage. How do you not give someone extensive coverage when they are 1) arguably the largest draw and 2) beating people so bad it's almost embarassing.

Is there a level above pro? If so I think Tiger's found it because he's making the rest of these "pro's" look like club pro's.

Let the coverage continue until someone else does anything news worthy. Like that other guy said; hearing about Phil lose weight or Will Mac going snowboarding... Yawn.

Also remember that these guys all have HUGE ego's so I wonder what it feels like being on the PRO TOUR and getting beaten like you're a junior in highschool taking on a college player...
    I loved the commentators comment during the telecast.... 'now we will switch you to the 'B' Flight grouping' ...
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I loved the commentators comment during the telecast.... 'now we will switch you to the 'B' Flight grouping' ...
    That was a good one !

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Two weeks of Tiger on TGC. Please, dig up some old Shell's Wonderful World Of Golf!

Now we're talking. I love those classic matches.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Reminds me of when Gretzky was in his glory and they used to list NHL scoring leaders "other than Gretzky" Not surprisingly Gretz had his fair share of detractors when he was dominating the NHL. Goes with the territory.

It's interesting that everyone has so much to say about the Buick coverage, but nary a peep about Adam Scott firing a 61 in the Qatar Masters. If you're sick of Tiger, watch some Euro tour golf. An added bonus is you don't have to listen commentators fill up dead air with inane banter.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    If you're sick of Tiger, watch some Euro tour golf. An added bonus is you don't have to listen commentators fill up dead air with inane banter.

I am not that sure about filling dead air, they wander off into nowhere all the time, drives me nuts. So many littlle details that have nothing to do with the game at hand.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I love watching golf and I am a huge Tiger fan but I have to admit I did not watch the last 3 holes yesterday. It was obvious who was going to win but listening to those babbling idiots just about drove me nuts ----it was like watching "The View"---only saw it once
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I am a big Tiger fan but I know what you guys are talking about... Not just telecasts but even regular programming. I watched like 3 or 4 shows last night and everyone of htem was basically a Tiger special; worse being the All Access Nike Tiger Wood Promo lol.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dH View Post
    I watched like 3 or 4 shows last night and everyone of htem was basically a Tiger special; worse being the All Access Nike Tiger Wood Promo lol.
    I started to watch that - I didn't realize it was going to be a glorified Nike infomercial. This is prime time on the GC? I'd rather watch re-runs of Big Break, or that other infomerical...POW!!
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Baxter
    Tiger all morning on GC....I love it even the desert wants Tiger all the Time...Guess who is leading again.....This guy is wonderful to watch..

Go Tiger Go, Go Tiger Go....I'm hoping for the Slam and 13 wins in a row.....

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    Tiger all morning on GC....I love it even the desert wants Tiger all the Time...Guess who is leading again.....This guy is wonderful to watch..

Go Tiger Go, Go Tiger Go....I'm hoping for the Slam and 13 wins in a row.....
    Usually when he is on the Euro tour, the announcers don't talk about him as much but today, even when they were't showing him, they were talking about him..... it was tiger, tiger tiger.... LOL
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Am I a Tiger fan? Not sure how to answer that. Do I watch everytime he plays? Yes, only because everytime he tees it up you might just see a part of history. Should they show every shot he takes when he's not in contention? No, but that rarely happens. So to all the moaners and complainers, just deal with it. It's not going to change anytime soon (especially the way he's been playing over the last two seasons), sit back and enjoy the ride towards history. Until someone else comes along and dominates the way Tiger does (and then you'll be complaining about seeing too much of that person), no matter what Tour he's playing that week, all the talk will be about him. If you really think about it, there's no one else to really talk about right now anyways. It's been this way for years now, yet every year someone posts the "Sick of Tiger" thread. What has happened in the last couple of years to make you think this year won't be any different?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

8 Iron LBlack14 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Do you think that you'd be watching golf on a 24/7 Golf only channel or playing as many new courses or have the variety in equipment that we have today without Tiger's influence?
    2 for YES!
    Not much on signatures eh ?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post
    2 for YES!
    3 for yes
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Am I a Tiger fan? Not sure how to answer that. Do I watch everytime he plays? Yes, only because everytime he tees it up you might just see a part of history. Should they show every shot he takes when he's not in contention? No, but that rarely happens. So to all the moaners and complainers, just deal with it. It's not going to change anytime soon (especially the way he's been playing over the last two seasons), sit back and enjoy the ride towards history. Until someone else comes along and dominates the way Tiger does (and then you'll be complaining about seeing too much of that person), no matter what Tour he's playing that week, all the talk will be about him. If you really think about it, there's no one else to really talk about right now anyways. It's been this way for years now, yet every year someone posts the "Sick of Tiger" thread. What has happened in the last couple of years to make you think this year won't be any different?
    Except for the Masters, the Canadian Open and maybe the British Open, I don't even watch golf anymore. The Masters gives my fill of a Tiger "lovefest" to do me all year. Tiger nevers plays the Canadian, and sometimes the commentators at the Open show some other people. Other than that, Tiger has pretty much ruined watching, or even paying attention to professional golf.

I hope spring gets here soon, so I can just get outside and play!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Except for the Masters, the Canadian Open and maybe the British Open, I don't even watch golf anymore. The Masters gives my fill of a Tiger "lovefest" to do me all year. Tiger nevers plays the Canadian, and sometimes the commentators at the Open show some other people. Other than that, Tiger has pretty much ruined watching, or even paying attention to professional golf.

I hope spring gets here soon, so I can just get outside and play!

But you've adjusted your viewing habits. Others still watch other tourneys and still complain. If you want to watch golf you're just going to have to prepare to see lots of Tiger and not much else of the other players.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Why don't we start a thread titled "Sick of Commentators"?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    But you've adjusted your viewing habits. Others still watch other tourneys and still complain. If you want to watch golf you're just going to have to prepare to see lots of Tiger and not much else of the other players.
    Good point!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Why don't we start a thread titled "Sick of Commentators"?
    LOL! We've been through that. Do a search on Johnny Miller!
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    LOL! We've been through that. Do a search on Johnny Miller!

Or Bobby Clampett.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    For those of you who don't LOVE watching Tiger, just watch the European Tour and other tours when they are on. It is great golf!!!

And for all you experts and Tiger lovers... What would NBC and CBS and all the US networks do if Tiger was European???

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    And for all you experts and Tiger lovers... What would NBC and CBS and all the US networks do if Tiger was European???
    That’s a moot point since he is not Euro and speculating will change nothing.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    You see much tennis coverage these days outside of the grand slam? They have a 'Tiger' who is European. Not quite the same coverage as when the big stars (Agassi and Sampras or Connors and McEnroe) were American.

Thread Information