CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kovalchuk's hit

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Kovalchuk's hit

So, the NHL finally gets a chance to prove once and for all whether it is serious about cracking down on dangerous hits. Kovalchuk laid out Michael Roszival with a vicious hit from behind last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFXOhELnsAE

Roszival did not have the puck, did not turn as the hit approached. Kovalchuk went full steam ahead, and jumped into Rosival from behind. Thankfully he seemed to be okay, but it easily could have been a lot worse.

So, 2 questions. What should the NHL do? And what do you think the NHL will do?

Personally, for me this has to be at least a 20 game suspension, to match Downie's . Unfortunately, I think Colin Campbell will shy away from a real punishment for a star, and will probably go with 5 or less.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I would say 10 games... But man it is bad.

Kovy has no history and usually doesn't hit....I don't know what he was thinking.

Wow. Colin Campbell did even worse than I expected. This is truly pathetic. 1 game.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=228033&hubname=

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    and yet another example of the dual standard that exists in the NHL (one for regular players and one for the superstars).

I agree, truely pathetic!!!

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    What is with Campbell? 1 game for that? It really is brutal when the punishment varies depending on the people involved. I guess Rosival didn't get hurt so the punishment should reflect that? What if the next guy is hurt? Then it will be too late. I say get rid of Campbell, he and JFJ can go to an island somewhere.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    This is yet one more example that the NHL really doesn't care to address this problem in a forceful manner. This inaction on Campbell's part reinforces my sense that the NHL will inevitably be targetted as a defendant in a civil suit based on the serious injury to, or the death of, one of it players. It seems obvious to me that the allegation against the league will be that it did nothing or little to protect players from this kind of play. In short, it will be said that they effectively countenanced brutality. The mea culpas at that time will be too late and unconvincing.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    i'm shocked. This guy is a complete idiot!!! what if the guy was seriously hurt? Then the suspension is longer?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    an interesting experiment woudl be to have steve downie take teh same run at kovulchuk and leave his feet a bit and hit him into th boards,and see what his punishment would be, if any more than one game it is a case of descrimination and he would be able to bring legal action to the league

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Colin Campbell must go.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Steve Downie is an idiot...

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    What is with Campbell? 1 game for that? It really is brutal when the punishment varies depending on the people involved. I guess Rosival didn't get hurt so the punishment should reflect that? What if the next guy is hurt? Then it will be too late. I say get rid of Campbell, he and JFJ can go to an island somewhere.
    Coincidentally, Atlanta only had one game left before the all-star game, which coincidentally just happens to be in Atlanta. Coincidentally, Kovalchuk just happens to be Atlanta's star player and on the Eastern all-star team - and since last night he was able to serve his suspension in full, it just so happens that he is now eligible to play in the all-star game.

That's an awful lot of coincidences.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Steve Downie is an idiot...
    Agreed. As for the Laracque hit from behind on Downie last night, does anyone else thing that Downie intentionally turned so as to make it a dangerous hit? Looked to me that he knew Laraque was there and that rather than initiating contact before he reached the end boards, he chose to expose his back and go for a swim.

Could be that Downie's rep is already tainting my perception of any incident he may be involved in from here on in, whether he's guilty or not.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

nope, he was hit just liek everyone else has been hit.

jut because he made a bti of a bad play on mcamond doesn't mean that what happens to him is not bad.

frankly IMO i think the hit on downie is worse then the one he laid on mcamond.

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by nhwott5 View Post

jut because he made a bti of a bad play on mcamond doesn't mean that what happens to him is not bad.

I'm sorry but is that comment for real????????? I am assuming you have seen both hits?

yes i havem, and i stand by the fact that downies was not as bad as everyone made it out to be, yes he left his feet, and i am not by any means saying it was clean at all. but he hit mcammiond, while he wa admiring his pass, pay attention!!!!!

i can not stand hits into the baords fomr behind whiel player is 2-3 feet away form th boards, i first hand witnessed a young player have his teth fuse togterhj adn bite off his tongue fomr a hit like that, luckliy no spinal damage,

Quote Originally Posted by nhwott5 View Post

With all due respect nhwott5 I couldn't disagee more........Downie skated from the Blueline at full speed then jumped into McAmond - totally, TOTALLY different ballpark than that little push on Downie last night

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    With all due respect nhwott5 I couldn't disagee more........Downie skated from the Blueline at full speed then jumped into McAmond - totally, TOTALLY different ballpark than that little push on Downie last night
    ya, but...to play devil's advocate....8 months ago downie's hit would have been, at most, 2 minutes. Something like Brashear's has always been five and a game, and is the one issue that hockey leagues have universally been trying to put an end to for years. That's why every minor hockey player has a stop sign on their back. Because people have died from hits from behind, even when they are just little pushes. sometimes that's all that it takes.

my pojnt is that, except for leaving his feet, i feel the downie hit is a hard but not illeal hit,

he sakted fomr the blue line, well what is he supposed to do, walk? of course he did, and he hit him, well that is hockey, mcamond keep your head up and don;t be admiring passes as you come around the net, now downie shoudl not leave his feet and go into the head, but if he had stayed on his feet, it was not bad, no elbow, it was all shoulder.

hits form behind are far worse,

anyway that is m opin and i stick to it, i liek hard hits, i like to see guys play with intensity, they just ahve to lern to reel it in a little buit soemtimes, downie mighgt learn, he might not only time will tell

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    nhwott5:
    Please take more care keying in your posts. A quick proof read would help a lot.

Thanks.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hey NHWott5,

Where have you been in the last 4 to 5 years. Downie has been in trouble every year. His hit on McCammond was just another awful thing that he has done. You are saying IF he didn't jump and IF he didn't hit him in the head it would be OK. What is your point? He DID jump and he DID hit him in the head...

Did you see the idiot again last Tuesday. This time he gets in a fight and he is gouging Clarkson's (New Jersey) right eye. Our buddy Colin Campbell will probably have another talk with him and declare him fit to play...what a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A70d3TzzeHc

What a dirtbag.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    ya, but...to play devil's advocate....8 months ago downie's hit would have been, at most, 2 minutes. Something like Brashear's has always been five and a game, and is the one issue that hockey leagues have universally been trying to put an end to for years. That's why every minor hockey player has a stop sign on their back. Because people have died from hits from behind, even when they are just little pushes. sometimes that's all that it takes.
    People have died from drinking too much water too, but that sure doesn't mean that we all will.........

Bottom line is, we are talking about today, NOT 8 months ago, not 8 years ago not 80 years ago.

How anyone can argue that the little shove that Brashear gave to Downie was WORSE than the 30 yard, leaping charge that Downie hit McAdam with is totally beyond me.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    You don't go from "at most, 2 minutes" to a match penalty and automatic suspension in 8 months.

The refs called a match penalty for Attempting to Injure on the McAmmond hit, and rightfully so. The same penalty would have been called 8 years ago, never mind 8 months. That kind of hit has NEVER been acceptable.

Larocque was given a major and automatic game misconduct for Checking from Behind - and rightfully so. He might have gotten away with 2 minutes for Boarding 8 months ago, but the league is trying to crack down on that stuff. It wasn't a hard hit, but it was in the wrong place at the wrong time. A one game suspension at most would be appropriate - especially when you compare it to the Kovalchuk's hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Did you see the idiot again last Tuesday. This time he gets in a fight and he is gouging Clarkson's (New Jersey) right eye. Our buddy Colin Campbell will probably have another talk with him and declare him fit to play...what a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A70d3TzzeHc

What a dirtbag.
    I totally missed that

What a scum bag - the little *&^^$ hides behind a visor to boot

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I will give Downie credit, he is a tough customer. He'll take on most comers his size or a bit bigger. But I bet he was 100% aware of who hit him and I'm sure he wanted no part of it, hence the acting display of an injury. I know I wouldn't want to mess with Mr. Georges!!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

People have died from drinking too much water too, but that sure doesn't mean that we all will.........

Bottom line is, we are talking about today, NOT 8 months ago, not 8 years ago not 80 years ago.

How anyone can argue that the little shove that Brashear gave to Downie was WORSE than the 30 yard, leaping charge that Downie hit McAdam with is totally beyond me.
    Because every hockey player has been trained NOT to hit from behind, from the moment they were allowed to hit. Everyone should know better. Every hockey player has also been trained to finish their checks - which Downie did. Hey. I know, it was a bad hit, and I agreed with the suspension. But just because McAmmond got injured and Downie didn't last night, does not mean that we should dismiss Laraque's hit. You can't do that. People die, and every hockey player should know better.

Because every hockey player has been trained NOT to hit from behind, from the moment they were allowed to hit. Everyone should know better. Every hockey player has also been trained to finish their checks - which Downie did. Hey. I know, it was a bad hit, and I agreed with the suspension. But just because McAmmond got injured and Downie didn't last night, does not mean that we should dismiss Laraque's hit. You can't do that. People die, and every hockey player should know better.
    Jon - Downie didn't finish a hit on McAmmond he charged him from 90 feet out. Finishing a check is when you and I go into a corner, and you have a 2 stride lead on me. You clear the puck and I turn you into a ink blot on the boards, that is finishing a check. Running from the blueline to hit a player below the goal line is Charging......I'm not sure what the proper name for the flying elbow to the head is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't called finishing your check - you're a smart guy, stop trying to defend the indefensible

I'm not trying to defend it, but it was no worse than Laraque's hit. That is the worst move there is in hockey, plain and simple. Don't hit from behind. Ever.

Jon - Downie didn't finish a hit on McAmmond he charged him from 90 feet out. Finishing a check is when you and I go into a corner, and you have a 2 stride lead on me. You clear the puck and I turn you into a ink blot on the boards, that is finishing a check. Running from the blueline to hit a player below the goal line is Charging......I'm not sure what the proper name for the flying elbow to the head is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't called finishing your check - you're a smart guy, stop trying to defend the indefensible
    I gotta agree Hacker, Downie's hit on McCammond was predatory and an obvious intent to injure. I think Downie was as much to blame for the Laracque hit as Laracque is. Downie knew exactly where Georges was, and, well, didn't exactly try to initiate the contact as he went in to retrieve the puck, which would have rendered Laracque's angle too oblique to create a hit from behind.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information