100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scotland Golf

Sand Wedge RU418 is on a distinguished road

Scotland Golf

I just returned from a week of golf in Scotland. Dissapointed in the condition of the courses. Carnoustie was the best condition and St. Andrews next of the six courses I played. Both well below what I would consider top rated courses. Costs were upwards to $200 for 18 holes. Amenities on the courses were non existant, yardage markers were relatively non existant except the two courses mentioned, many holes blind off the tee with only a stake to shoot at, fairways were dry and hard, and greens were inconsistant, fairly fast, but not smooth like our better greens. It is certainly a different kind of golf you have to play there. It is a bump and run game, fairways funnel into penal bunkers, and greens don't hold.

I'm not sorry I went but it was very expensive for what I expected. Although, standing on the first tees and greens at St. Andrews and Carnoustie did fill me with a sense of awe. I did manage to par the 18'th at Carnoustie and not experiencing the downfall of Jean Van De Velde. The hole really didn't appear that difficult except maybe that day the wind was blowing from the opposite direction. For avid golfers who appreciate good quality golf courses, and would like to get away, there are far better values here in Canada.

If there are others out there who have golfed in Scotland it would be good to hear your view.
    Tee it up, knock it down the middle.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RU418
    Dissapointed in the condition of the courses...yardage markers were relatively non existant except the two courses mentioned, many holes blind off the tee with only a stake to shoot at, fairways were dry and hard, and greens were inconsistant, fairly fast, but not smooth like our better greens. It is certainly a different kind of golf you have to play there. It is a bump and run game, fairways funnel into penal bunkers, and greens don't hold.
    So you played using pretty much nothing but your wits, on courses that were, by and large, shaped by Mother Nature. I know guys that would give thier left you-know-what to play that kind of golf. You played "real" golf.

I agree that there are great values here at home, and that some of the fees are a little high (btw, residents of St. Andrews pay the same rate for an entire season as tourists pay for a single round), but if you're only going to play there once, IMO, it's well worth the cost.

I remember every shot that I played at the Old & New courses. To walk where the likes of Jones, Cotton, Nicklaus, Palmer, Morris, etc., have walked before, makes my feet tingle just thinking about it.

I hope I get to go back someday.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information