+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    I think that acknowledging it as a non-issue was the right thing to do. If we all continue to get bent out of shope over stuff like this, we'll never get anywhere.

I think that those who want to fix things would do better to focus on actual racism.
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    You know, he probably did do the right thing for his sanity and his golf game by accepting the apology and moving on.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I'm just surprised how he brushed it off as a non-issue, and how he says he felt no pressure from anyone to speak out.

I guess if it's not a big deal to him then that's fine, I'm just a bit surprised by that is all.
    I guess I just can't understand why it comes to such a surprise to you that his initial statement wasn't a lie.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Why is there a surprise that some people (including Tiger) didn't think it was a big deal. It amazes me how some people just search for the tiniest thing to make into a makor issue.

I understand the historical aspect of lynching, but the context was nowhere even close to having racial undertones.

As for the noose cover...I'd say considering the ridiculous uproar over the word, the noose was a very appropriate image.
    Lynch: murder for supposed crime: to seize somebody believed to have committed a crime and put him or her to death immediately and without trial, usually by hanging
    Don't take life so seriously, you might be surprised at how enjoyable it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I guess I just can't understand why it comes to such a surprise to you that his initial statement wasn't a lie.
    Tell me when I said it was I lie. I never said that. If that is what you got from my posts then I apologise. My postulation was that this was an opportunity for him to raise the conciousness of a country, and he chose to take the conservative route and not cause controversy. However, I have listened to and read opinions of those who are in a better position than I to be the judge of this situation - Michael Wilbon of the Washington Post for example. I have always held is opinion in high regard, and today I heard him say that he is outraged over those who would question Tiger's opinion on this matter. Some blacks say he's not black enough, and even some whites accuse him of being too corporate and buttoned up on this, and other matters - I'd lump myself into that latter bracket - but I never said he lied.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by g8r View Post
    Why is there a surprise that some people (including Tiger) didn't think it was a big deal. It amazes me how some people just search for the tiniest thing to make into a makor issue.

I understand the historical aspect of lynching, but the context was nowhere even close to having racial undertones.

As for the noose cover...I'd say considering the ridiculous uproar over the word, the noose was a very appropriate image.

Don't take life so seriously, you might be surprised at how enjoyable it can be.
    I don't want to rehash this, but by definition, you are correct. By connotation however, you're missing a very large point.

To some, including myself, I find the term extremely distasteful. Others, such as yourself, don't apply the same emotional response to the term. To each their own. But, I reserve my right to be offended by something that may cause you no offense, and you of course have the right to be offended by something I am not.

Live and let live yes, but a modicum of decorum and educational awareness doesn't hurt either.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Tell me when I said it was I lie. I never said that. If that is what you got from my posts then I apologise. My postulation was that this was an opportunity for him to raise the conciousness of a country, and he chose to take the conservative route and not cause controversy. However, I have listened to and read opinions of those who are in a better position than I to be the judge of this situation - Michael Wilbon of the Washington Post for example. I have always held is opinion in high regard, and today I heard him say that he is outraged over those who would question Tiger's opinion on this matter. Some blacks say he's not black enough, and even some whites accuse him of being too corporate and buttoned up on this, and other matters - I'd lump myself into that latter bracket - but I never said he lied.
    To me, when you say that he's choosing to take the conservative root - that he's choosing not to cause a controversy - you're telling me that you aren't taking what he said at face value. You're telling me that you really don't quite believe that he's not offended, but instead that he's made a choice to not show that he is offended publically. You're telling me that you think it was a political choice, rather than his genuine feelings. You may not have called him a liar, but the implication of your words is certainly that he has been less than truthful.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    To me, when you say that he's choosing to take the conservative root - that he's choosing not to cause a controversy - you're telling me that you aren't taking what he said at face value. You're telling me that you really don't quite believe that he's not offended, but instead that he's made a choice to not show that he is offended publically. You're telling me that you think it was a political choice, rather than his genuine feelings. You may not have called him a liar, but the implication of your words is certainly that he has been less than truthful.
    I think you've uncovered the definition of connotation, and how something can mean one thing to one person, and quite something else to another.
    Last edited by 3Jack; 01-23-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo fix
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    But, I reserve my right to be offended by something that may cause you no offense, and you of course have the right to be offended by something I am not.
    Fair enough, but I'm still trying to figure out why, in the context of the conversation that was happening, you believe that it was racially motivated? If this were about Mickelson, would 'lynch' have been an "OK" word to use??

Quote Originally Posted by g8r View Post
    Fair enough, but I'm still trying to figure out why, in the context of the conversation that was happening, you believe that it was racially motivated? If this were about Mickelson, would 'lynch' have been an "OK" word to use??
    It would be borderline in my book. I think there are plenty of other ways to describe how to overtake the world's number one player (be it Tiger or Phil, or anyone else).

I don't necessarily think it was racially motivated no. Kelly has admitted to the mistake, has apologized and has served a two week suspension. I supported the suspension because I thought it fair. I never wanted to see he lose her job, but did point out that people have lost their jobs for similar utterances.

At this point, I think we've said all that needs to be said.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    For an compelling contrast to Golfweek's foolish strategy, Golfworld got it right. In their January 18th issue they published a story about Bill Spiller. The piece by Al Barkow is entitled One Man's Mission. The story is about his struggle, as a black man, for equality on the PGA Tour. It was not until forced to do so in the 1960s that their caucasian only clause was removed by the Tour. Spiller's is a moving story.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Interesting mpare, I'll have to give that a read... Does Chapters carry Golfworld I wonder? I might swing by there this afternoon to check.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    There's no need to go out in the cold. Here's a link to the article on their site:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/...20080118barkow

Interesting mpare, I'll have to give that a read... Does Chapters carry Golfworld I wonder? I might swing by there this afternoon to check.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Thanks for the link!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information