CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    He contends that Tiger Woods, by mimimalizing the Tighlman's use of the word lynch, has clearly illustrated what he is all about - protecting his assests.
    Or that he took it as she intended it. Light-heartedly.

People just love to pile on stuff like this don't they.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    This week's golf section in Sports Illustrated deals with the issue, and low and behold, they don't use a noose as an illustration. A columnist raises a good point in the issue as well. He contends that Tiger Woods, by mimimalizing the Tighlman's use of the word lynch, has clearly illustrated what he is all about - protecting his assests. It should be noted that last year he topped $100 million in off course income, which is garnered by his endorsement relationships with mainly caucasian controlled corporations. His dismissal of the incident as a 'non-issue' is what his sponsors clearly love about him, but at the same time, his dismissal of the incident does a grave disservice to his heritage. This is what the article contends, and I can't say that I disagree.
    That anyone but Tiger Woods would purport to speak for Tiger Woods is absolutely preposterous. Why are people incapable of taking anything at face value any more? Tilghman said she didn't mean it to be insensitive, and nobody believes her. If Tiger says he's not offended, I will personally believe him unless I see any evidence otherwise. I also fail to see how he is doing any disservice to his heritage. He did not say that "no African American should be offended by this comment and anybody who is is a whacko." He simply stated that, given the situation and his relationship with Tilghman, he was able to be the bigger man and let bygones be bygones. You could easily argue that, by doing so, he is actually doing a great service to his heritage by showing that he can move beyond simple misunderstanding rather than dwelling on them.

And, while it is theoretically possible that this is a self-centred move to protect his assets, it seems unlikely. He will be the best golfer in the world, by far, regardless of whether he is offended by these comments. He will not be dropped as a spokesman for being offended by racially charged comments. To do so would be absolute suicide for the company that dropped him. Not only is the suggestion offensive in its unwillingness to accept a man's word, it doesn't actually make sense.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I wish I could find a link to this article, but SI.com / Golf.com has made a mess of their online offerings... I can't seem to find anything on those sites anymore. But, I digress...

Here's the last paragraph from the article:
    ==============================
    In the end Tllghman was brough down by her failur to grasp or respect the undercurrent of meaning attached to the L word. But isn't Woods guilty of the same thing? By so blithely dismissing the incident, isn't he (Tiger Woods) contributing to the offense? Woods doesn't have to become a civil-rights spokesman, but he could have at least acknowledged that he understands the meaning of the word, and how powerful and hurtful it remains. In other words, wouldn't it be nice if for nce Woods saw himself as the heir not only to Jack Nicklaus, but also to Jackie Robinson?
    ==============================

An interesting take, to say the least.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    That anyone but Tiger Woods would purport to speak for Tiger Woods is absolutely preposterous.
    Does that include his handlers / representation, who spoke for him in this instance?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

He simply stated that, given the situation and his relationship with Tilghman, he was able to be the bigger man and let bygones be bygones.
    We have yet to hear from the man himself.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Is this an a priori assumption or is it based on an actual discussion with Tiger Woods? Obviously, it's the former, and that bothers me. Why? Because it assumes that Tiger is only about money and that he doesn't understand his proper role or the significance of this incident. I'm sorry, but he is more than capable of speaking for himself in a thoughtful and considered manner.

Writing off Tiger's statement on the basis of his financial success, hardly explains away Dr. Harry Edwards' similar reaction. Let me quote again from an earlier post:

“Accept the apology and move on. We all say dumb things,” said Dr. Harry Edwards, a consultant of the San Francisco 49ers and a sociology professor at the University of California-Berkeley.

Edwards was a prominent civil rights activist in the 1960s who urged sprinters Tommy Smith and John Carlos to give the clench-fisted “black power” salute as the “Star Spangled Banner” was being played during their medal presentations at the ’68 Olympics.

“If we stopped the train every time somebody made a dumb remark that is potentially offensive, we’d never progress as a society. We’d be in big trouble.”

No one could legitimately attack Dr. Edwards' understanding of, and the ability to speak to, what it means to be Black in America. His reaction and Tiger's reaction carry considerable legitimacy for me and, I suspect, for many others.

... His dismissal of the incident as a 'non-issue' is what his sponsors clearly love about him, but at the same time, his dismissal of the incident does a grave disservice to his heritage. This is what the article contends, and I can't say that I disagree.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

We have yet to hear from the man himself.
    Okay, if you're implying that his 'handlers' (whose cheques he signs...as you seem to be focussed on economic motives), would make such a statement without his consultation or approval, then I don't know what I can say to you. Ludicrous.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    The story began during the Golf Channel's broadcast on Jan. 4 when analyst Nick Faldo joked that the young players of the PGA Tour may have to gang up on Tiger Woods to compete with him. His co-anchor, Kelly Tilghman, agreed and suggested with a laugh that Tiger's young rivals "lynch him in a back alley."

Just think. If Tilghman had have said, "give him a lethal injection," instead, none of this furor would have happened as lethal injection has no racial connotations.

Okay, if you're implying that his 'handlers' (whose cheques he signs...as you seem to be focussed on economic motives), would make such a statement without his consultation or approval, then I don't know what I can say to you. Ludicrous.
    I'm not saying that he didn't consent. I'm sure the situation was 'handled' with his approval. All I'm pointing out is that I wish people wouldn't hide behind their PR peeps in situations like these. We've contended that Kelly shouldn't be in hot water and that we should let bygones be bygones because Tiger's management team has told us that Tiger doesn't see this as a big deal. That's all well and good, but wouldn't the firestorm by much less intense had he himself lent a bit of personal candor to the situation?

On the other hand though, that might just fuel people like Sharpton, as he may turn on Tiger and accuse him of being too sympathetic.

See where I'm coming from now? I think that at the end of the day, economics and public image are winning over what's really the right thing to do. Tiger is really stuck between a rock and a hard place here on this, and any other marginally political issue that may arise.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I see where you're coming from, I just think you're completely wrong. In this day and age, having people make press-releases on your behalf is the norm. Why? Mostly because of media and individuals who jump on meaningless statements and make a huge deal of them. I can fully understand Tiger's desire to keep his nose out of this, but would never question the veracity of the statements he released, (whether directly from his mouth or from his employees).

I'm also a little lost as to what you think "the right thing to do" is right now? He's already released his statement. I don't see how him saying the same thing at a news conference would make any difference. Those who have decided they were offended by Tilghman have already made that decision inspite of what Tiger has said. All that appearing and speaking on the subject will do is add fuel to the fire. If, on the other hand, you want him to change his mind and say something different, I certainly don't think that's the right to do.

Sometimes, time is of the essence when it comes to doing the right thing. Either you stop and help an accident victim or you drive on by.

Unfortunately, the time for Tiger to do the right thing has passed in my estimation. I agree with you that having handlers release statements on your behalf has unfortunately become the norm, and I don't necessarily blame Tiger for it in this instance, but the opportunity to distinguish himself from the norm has come and gone in the Tilghman affair.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

What is the right thing? To repeat what has already been said? Are you honestly telling me that if Tiger had read a statement at a news conference then your position, and that of others who were offended, would be reversed? Give me a break.

My apologies for not being more clear.

I said he had the opportunity to distinguish himself from the norm, by which I meant that he could have chosen not to stay behind his management team.

By making himself available to talk open and candidly about the issue, in an unscripted interview or sets of interviews (one-on-one with Kelly, Vince, or whomever at the Golf Channel, plus mainstream interviews on The Today Show, Good Morning America, Larry King, etc.

Let me know if that doesn't clarify what I was attempting to convey previously.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I said he had the opportunity to distinguish himself from the norm, by which I meant that he could have chosen not to stay behind his management team.

By making himself available to talk open and candidly about the issue, in an unscripted interview or sets of interviews (one-on-one with Kelly, Vince, or whomever at the Golf Channel, plus mainstream interviews on The Today Show, Good Morning America, Larry King, etc.
    Tiger doesn't need that type of distraction in his life. I think he is being smart to distance himself from the issue. As he said, he took it for what it was meant, a joke and if he starts getting caught up in the national debate, someone is going to try and make him slip up in one of those interviews and all of a sudden all hell will break lose. He is going to have enough questions thrown his way during the Buick.

I hope he looks in the interviewers eyes and says 'look man, she didn't mean it that way so why don't you just let it go and move on like I have'.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

My apologies for not being more clear.

Let me know if that doesn't clarify what I was attempting to convey previously.
    Right, I gotcha now.

The trouble with that is, he says it's a non-issue for him. And I can understand that, if it's a non-issue, it really doesn't make any sense to do the now all-to-familiar publicity tour to say what's already been said. It would be pretty contradictory. I can also understand any reservations he might have about speaking out publicly given what just happened to Tilghman when she spoke openly, candidly, and unscripted. That's why people have these reps in the first place - because the media is so gaffe-happy that it's unsafe to say anything in public without having it passed through the hands of 3 PR reps and 8 lawyers. Which, of course, brings us full circle all the way back to hyper-sensitivity in the press.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Tiger doesn't need that type of distraction in his life. I think he is being smart to distance himself from the issue. As he said, he took it for what it was meant, a joke and if he starts getting caught up in the national debate, someone is going to try and make him slip up in one of those interviews and all of a sudden all hell will break lose. He is going to have enough questions thrown his way during the Buick.

I hope he looks in the interviewers eyes and says 'look man, she didn't mean it that way so why don't you just let it go and move on like I have'.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Right, I gotcha now.

The trouble with that is, he says it's a non-issue for him. And I can understand that, if it's a non-issue, it really doesn't make any sense to do the now all-to-familiar publicity tour to say what's already been said. It would be pretty contradictory. I can also understand any reservations he might have about speaking out publicly given what just happened to Tilghman when she spoke openly, candidly, and unscripted. That's why people have these reps in the first place - because the media is so gaffe-happy that it's unsafe to say anything in public without having it passed through the hands of 3 PR reps and 8 lawyers. Which, of course, brings us full circle all the way back to hyper-sensitivity in the press.
    Right on Jon
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I think Tiger missed an opportunity here to be more than golfer.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Maybe he doesn't want to be more than a golfer...is there anything wrong with that? It's really funny when we think that athletes have a "responsibility" to be better human beings than the rest of the world.

He has his foundation, gives millions to charity...i think he's done his work.

That's more than fine for sure, and I'm not questioning his charitable donations, all good stuff. I'd just like to see someone in the public eye not always be playing defence in the public relations game. It's a sad commentary on society as a whole when the worlds most famous athlete, who happens to be black in in a unique position to be heard, feels like he can't be his own voice.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

That's more than fine for sure, and I'm not questioning his charitable donations, all good stuff. I'd just like to see someone in the public eye not always be playing defence in the public relations game. It's a sad commentary on society as a whole when the worlds most famous athlete, who happens to be black in in a unique position to be heard, feels like he can't be his own voice.
    It is POSSIBLE that he wasn't available for said commentary. He could have been on vacation. On some islands or in Dubai. You just never know.
    After all these years, you think Tiger WANTS to give a press conference? I wouldn't. The Golf Channel is probably terrified to ask him for anything at this point.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    People comment through an agent all the time. Nothing new there. Why try to find a fault where there is none?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    You can't win. An athlete who speaks his mind gets trashed by the media (Rory for one). One who keeps things to himself gets trashed by the media.

Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

A lot of people, including some sports writers, only hear that which they want to hear. Life is easier that way. You never have to test your beliefs and theories against the complexity of existence. If you do it long enough, you can almost convince yourself that life is just as you predicted it would be. Reality, though, has a way of tripping you up when you walk around with your mind closed.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    You can't win. An athlete who speaks his mind gets trashed by the media (Rory for one). One who keeps things to himself gets trashed by the media.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    i hate al sharpton!!! Anyone says anything that isn't racist or isn't said with macious intnention and this guy is asking for them to be fired. He needs to relax a bit, she made a mistake, aopolgized.. so why is he asking for her to be fired! She is friends with tiger and he forgives her so who the hell is he to as for her to be fired. This guy just likes being famous and its annoying. I hope he gets caught with a prostitute or something that takes away all the respect and power he does have so I don't ever have to listen to him call people who aren't racists a racist :S
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Mr. Sharpton has his own problems. He is now under investigation by the FBI and the IRS. Not surprisingly, his reaction has been to attack. Only time will tell how all of this will play out for him. In the meatime, you'd think that he'd be sensitive to the admonition that "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", but that is not his style.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    i hate al sharpton!!! ... I hope he gets caught with a prostitute or something that takes away all the respect and power he does have so I don't ever have to listen to him call people who aren't racists a racist :S

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    People comment through an agent all the time. Nothing new there. Why try to find a fault where there is none?
    I'm not trying to find fault, but once in a while, a break from the norm may be warranted.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    By the media certainly, but by reasonable individuals you will be respected more for being a stand up guy.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    It is POSSIBLE that he wasn't available for said commentary. He could have been on vacation. On some islands or in Dubai. You just never know.
    After all these years, you think Tiger WANTS to give a press conference? I wouldn't. The Golf Channel is probably terrified to ask him for anything at this point.
    Absolutely, it's possible. No argument there.

However, what one WANTS to do, and what one SHOULD do, are two very different things. There are things we all do every day that we don't want to do, but because we should, we do.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Absolutely, it's possible. No argument there.

However, what one WANTS to do, and what one SHOULD do, are two very different things. There are things we all do every day that we don't want to do, but because we should, we do.
    You SHOULD help an elderly person across the street.

If you are not offended by something someone says, not doing anything is normal, perfectly acceptable, and by societal standards, absolutely what SHOULD be done.

I can see that you feel differently about this than most people on this board. That's fine, it's people's differences that make the world go round. But for Tiger to somehow come out badly on this is beyond me. Just describe the situation out loud:

"Kelly Tilghman said on a Golf Channel broadcast that young players who can't beat Tiger, the #1 player in the world, should gang on up on him and lynch him in a back alley. Kelly got suspended for two weeks for her ill-advised and racially insensitive remarks. When reached for comment, Tiger said, through representatives, that he knows Kelly well, was not offended by her comment, and has accepted her apology.

Tiger has proven that he is an a**hole and driven by greed, as eveidenced by his role in the saga."

Does that sound right to you?

Thread Information