100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: Will Sundin be traded before the deadline?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - He will go to a contender

9 75.00%
  • No - JFJ is gonna keep believing that he can make the playoffs

3 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Question Does Sundin get Traded?

So, many of the sports call in shows and TV shows are saying that TO is looking to move Sundin to 'build for the future'

Anybody believe he is gone?

Personally I think he will ask to get traded to a contender so he has a reasonable shot at Lord Stanley before he retires
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    So, many of the sports call in shows and TV shows are saying that TO is looking to move Sundin to 'build for the future'

Anybody believe he is gone?

Personally I think he will ask to get traded to a contender so he has a reasonable shot at Lord Stanley before he retires
    You know, the Sens were shopping around for another forward earlier this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Section Thirty One View Post
    You know, the Sens were shopping around for another forward earlier this year...

He wouldn't be a bad addition at all, but I don't think the Sens could afford him and I do not see the Sens giving a couple of good young prospects

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    If Toronto, Ottawa and a 3rd party team (maybe LA) could get together on a three way deal, this is how I would forsee this happening (with John Ferguson Jr gone).

Emery (and some 1.5ish million dollar player) to LA for maybe Kopitar and picks (as LA has pooped the bed for years, they must have a boatload of picks) say, 2 2nd rounders.

Sundin to Ottawa for Kopitar and said picks. This way Ottawa has dumped salary and sent Emery to LA with the rest of the primadonnas and they can then buy up Sundin to add crazy depth. Hell, Toronto might even throw in a mil or so just to make this happen.

Sundin in Ottawa would be a damned beast on that team. First line, Fisher, Sundin, Alfie, Second line Eaves, Spezza, Heatley.

I could tell you that this would almost please me and might even get me to sway not on the Sens bandwagon, but remain on the Sundin bandwagon. I would invariably be forced to cheer for the Sens so that Mats can get his cup, then re-sign with Toronto

The other intriguing option would be to trade him to Detroit (as reported) for a second tier "roleplayer" and a couple of picks (1st and 2nd round or 2x 2nd round and 3rd rounder).

Okay, so maybe I'm not a GM, but atleast it's an option.
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    You don't get rid of a young talented goalie like Emery just beccause he has a bad attitude. He's young with a ton of cash, of course he will be cocky! Goalies are the hardest thing to find and Emery has tons of potential to be a top tender in the league. Trade Greber, he's older and his window is much shorter.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Glenn Healy was thinking Eaves, Vermette 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders to TO for Sundin

I wouldn't entertain that trade of 1 second EVEN IF Sundin agreed to a contract extension which of course the Leafs don't want to happen

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    ya, that is a bit much I think. I'd actually be a bit surprised if he was traded within the division, let alone the conference.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Glenn Healy was thinking Eaves, Vermette 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders to TO for Sundin

I wouldn't entertain that trade of 1 second EVEN IF Sundin agreed to a contract extension which of course the Leafs don't want to happen
    1) Sundin is worth every inch of that deal. I can count on one hand the number of star players in the league that give 100% effort every time out, and Sundin is one of them (BTW - Alfredsson is on that hand too).

2) The Sens would be retarded to make that deal. If they were in 4th or 5th in the conference maybe, in order to bolster the offence for a cup run. But the Sens are truly the "Beast of the East" right now, and this deal would be too much of a shake up.

3) If (and when, I voted yes) he gets traded, it will be to a mid-pack or darkhorse cup contender who's looking for that "magic bullet" to help propel them as deeply into the post season as possible, and I'm guessing it won't be an Eastern Conference team either. My early picks for this "lottery" would be Vancouver, Minnesota, Dallas, or if they can make up some more ground in the next few weeks, Phoenix, or everyone's favourite rent-a-player-win-a-cup team, Colorado. Most of these teams have good young players and good picks to offer up.

Personally, I would love to see him in a Canucks jersey. He would instantly fit in with that team, and I know that Vancouver fans would be in a frenzy if he were to go there. Can you imagine him on the PP with the Sedin twins?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'm not sure how Sundin will react if he was put on a team that actually had some talent. Seriously, this isn't an slam against the leafs per se, its a fact. Sundin hasn't played with skilled wingers in forever. Imagine him and Alfie as option 1B to Heater and Spez as 1A

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    If I were Brian Murray I would be all over Sundin...realistically Ottawa needs to win this year. What better way to rub it in to T.O fans. Get Sundin probably for a lot less than you expect match him with Alfie and Fisher.....holy smokes!!!

Other teams would just forfeit the game and stay home rather than be embarassed and run out of ScotiaBank Place screaming.
    "Get your smile on!"

3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    I hardly doubt sundin will waive his no trade, he loves it in to (outside the hockey)

now if he were to waive it, it woudl be onyl to go to one place, detroit.

they have the best chance of winning this year, they are a great team, have lots of his mates on it, and not in the same division.

ottawa, no way he goes there, no one trades within division anymore, specially such a high grade player as sundin.

now i will also say that teams that want him will pony up a lot for him ,and it will be worth every penny. he is in great shape, is playing some of his best hockey in the last few years, and this is with no wingers at all.

for his sake it woudl be great to see hinm go to detroit, but i love his feelings towards his team, he is a leaf and does not want to be anywhere else

Putter Wes is on a distinguished road
    Sundin should be traded he's not getting any younger. He is playing well but is it winning any hockey games for us. Remember the same thing happened when Clark was traded everyone was saying the same thing. But in that trade the Leafs got Sundin. The same thing could happen now but Sundin has to wave his no trade clause first.

Mark my angellic words. If Sundin joins the Sens, I will cheer my gluteous maximus off for the Sens to win the cup. Hell, I might even buy a Sens jersey with Sundin on the back.

I will cheer for that man whenever he goes. I appreciate his loyalty to Toronto during the tough times. He exemplifies what Leafs fans go through. He is always diplomatic in his answers and he you know what he says is the truth because you can see it in his face. He's not a smug jerk.

I honestly think it would bolster the Sens line up so much to have him, just for the versatility it would create in the even strength, pp and pk.

Now, if he really wanted to slap TO fans in the face, and I think alot of TO fans would agree with me, that if he signed a 2 yr deal with Ottawa in the off season, that would be the kick in the backside that would sour me lol.

Fallys
    aka Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    Mark my angellic words. If Sundin joins the Sens, I will cheer my gluteous maximus off for the Sens to win the cup. Hell, I might even buy a Sens jersey with Sundin on the back.
    I honestly think it would bolster the Sens line up so much to have him, just for the versatility it would create in the even strength, pp and pk.

Now, if he really wanted to slap TO fans in the face, and I think alot of TO fans would agree with me, that if he signed a 2 yr deal with Ottawa in the off season, that would be the kick in the backside that would sour me lol.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    I just can't see Toronto trading him to Ottawa, the Toronto fans would riot! ......

Putter Wes is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post

I will cheer for that man whenever he goes. I appreciate his loyalty to Toronto during the tough times. He exemplifies what Leafs fans go through. He is always diplomatic in his answers and he you know what he says is the truth because you can see it in his face. He's not a smug jerk.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Do the Sens. have any Cap. room at all. I don't think so. Sundin was making 7.6 mill. a year. He did resign with the Leafs for 1 year. I doubt its any less then for 4 mill. for the year. Which means the Sens. would have to pick up the rest of that contract. The Cap is the key to any team and any signings.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Do the Sens. have any Cap. room at all. I don't think so. Sundin was making 7.6 mill. a year. He did resign with the Leafs for 1 year. I doubt its any less then for 4 mill. for the year. Which means the Sens. would have to pick up the rest of that contract. The Cap is the key to any team and any signings.
    I can not see them trade him to Ottawa.They would have room under the salary cap.Remember it would be for roughly 1/4 the season.If he is traded at the deadline it cost the new team roughly $1,375,000 for the rest of this season.

*cough* Dump Emery *cough*

I think there are far greater opportunities available in 3 way trades than just with 2 teams.

As you mention, now that salary cap has changed things, you need to be more creative. Dump Vermette, Eaves and picks to Toronto for Sundin doesn't really afford much room either.

I hope he doesn't go to Ottawa, but I'd be interested to see what they get. They are talkin' with the trigger man (Cliff Fletcher) right now, so things are maybe brewing.

What's sad is this is the most excited I have been about the Leafs since the off season to see JFJ get shown the door! lol Oh what we fans have resorted to when looking for positives lol

Fallys
    aka Scott

Thread Information