Kelly Tilghman suspended by the Golf Channel

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    ROFLMAO....... good lord people have to learn to relax
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Very sad. Her and Tiger are friends.. just ridiculous
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    dear lord. If she had used any word but 'lynch' nobody would care. everybody knows what she meant

Baxter
    Good I don't like her and her voice bugs the heck out of me.

A 2 week break will be well liked by me...

If it was guy off of CBS , NBC or ESPN he would be looking for a new job.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I am not a fan of her annoying voice either, but this should not be an issue at all. It's getting to the point that you can't say anything.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I guess she won't be invited to the Merrill Lynch Shootout
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    ROFLMAO....... good lord people have to learn to relax
    We know what Kelly meant and it was a harmless, off the cuff remark, intended to emphasize the distance that Tiger is from everyone else.

However, for a lot of Americans it is a reminder of the dark days of their history where the KKK did, in fact, lynch African Americans and so one can understand their sensitivity, but some of their leaders just have to use this in their agenda. If Phil Mickelson was #1, there would be no kafuffle.

A simple, "Oops. I screwed up. I'm sorry" was all that was needed.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    A two week suspension for an off the cuff remark? Ridiculous to the point of stupidity.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    And if I am not mistaken, Tiger is not "African American" is he?

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    WOW! If David Faherty would have said this, I doubt it would have been any problem.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Well I think this suspension is justified. I am far from being the most PC person in the world but something like this should not be said. Even though it may be off the cuff someone in the public spotlight should have more control over what they say. This would have been like saying "They should exterminate him" in reference to a Jewish player.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    It’s absolutely ridiculous. If an announcer on any other network had said it, nothing would have happened. However, the unwritten law at the golf Channel is “thou shalt do anything but praise for Tiger Woods”. I am also disappointed that Tiger did not come out and say something to diffuse the situation.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    It’s absolutely ridiculous. If an announcer on any other network had said it, nothing would have happened. However, the unwritten law at the golf Channel is “thou shalt do anything but praise for Tiger Woods”. I am also disappointed that Tiger did not come out and say something to diffuse the situation.
    I disagree, this has nothing to do with Tiger Woods. The same uproar would exist if this were said about any other black person. IMO, this is equal to the Don Imus situation with NBC and there were consequences.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    I must disagree. Announcers have been fired for very similar reasons in the past. Kelly is actually fortunate that Tiger considers her a friend. Note also Tiger, through his management team, has completely forgiven Kelly, so there is no need to be disappointed.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

This is brutal. People need to learn to let things go. What happened many years ago is history. Does this mean the word "lynch" can never be used again if African Americans are involved? What about 100 years from now, then would it be ok? The past is the past. It is terrible what used to happen when people were lynched, but that is history. And if I am not mistaken, lynch mobs killed many people of different races.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    The comment was made last Friday but apparently the Golf Channel had no problem with it until the following Wednesday when the media blow-hards got wind of it and saw it as a good opportunity to further their agenda(s).
    Suspending Tilghman was simply a lame attempt at retroactive damage control by the network. The end result being, they essentially throw their employee under the bus, and make the network execs look like craven cowards.
    If Tiger isn't offended, then why do others feel the need to be offended on his behalf? Media attention perhaps?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

I heard it live on air on Friday night, and I was shaking my head at the comment. Do I think she should have been fired for it? No. Should it have been ignored by her superiors? Probably not. I think the GC execs made a mistake not addressing it prior to Wednesday. Should she have been suspended for two weeks? Probaly not no, but that I pin on the GC execs again for not proactively reprimanding her sooner - perhaps force her to make the boys on the crew sandwiches on demand for the entire year.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    fyi, the word lynch does not, by definition, have any racial meaning to it.

lynch /lɪntʃ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[linch] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –verb (used with object) to put to death, esp. by hanging, by mob action and without legal authority.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar

8 second rule

Why don't they use the 8-second delay, like the one that CBC has for Don Cherry?

Just incredible that that rather simple phrase cost her 2 weeks off. Oh well, she is in Hawaii, hope she enjoys the scenery... oh -- I guess someone will be offended by that statement --
    Thanks for the screen-time.

Let's just look at this from another perspective...
    What if an African American commentator had made the comment?
    Everything would be just fine.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donh View Post
    Why don't they use the 8-second delay,
    The 8 second delay wouldn't have helped since it took The Golf Channel 5 days to react to the statement.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    fyi, the word lynch does not, by definition, have any racial meaning to it.
    By definition no, but by connotation, yes.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

This has been blown way out of proportion because Al Sharpton one of the biggest in the USA got involved. I agree the Kelly is not a great golf analyst or even speaker, but common guys, even her good friend Tiger is laughing it off and believe me, I bet you in his situation being part African American he has to be careful to be seen as defending the AA population.

This is even being reported on CNN for god sakes!

I think everybody needs to take a deep breath and just relax by watching the golf.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Good old Reverend Al Sharpton! That guy pops up everytime he thinks there has been a racial slur. He needs a life!

I do agree that Tilghman should not have said what she said.

Hey at least we get a break from her annoying dribble. She goes on and on and on sometimes to the point it is very annoying. I liked her far better when all she did was the half hour golf update shows.

Frank Nobilo could be her replacement. He does a very good job during telecasts.

ANYONE EXCEPT INGA HAMMOND PLEASE!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73 View Post
    I disagree, this has nothing to do with Tiger Woods. The same uproar would exist if this were said about any other black person. IMO, this is equal to the Don Imus situation with NBC and there were consequences.
    "nappy headed hoes" is nothing but offensive. There is no other way to take that statement.

"lynch" has so many meaning and connotations. It is pretty clear that she meant it simply to point out how good Tiger was. She probably didn't even consider the fact that it might be construed as offensive, as taking offense to that is so absolutely ridiculous. Very few people would have even considered that this would be taken as offensive, as it is a common expression. Al Sharpton just jumps on every mildly potentially offensive statement that he hears, to the point of absurdity. It's unfortunate, because it diminishes the impact when something truly offensive is said. He knows as well as any that this was an innocent 'mistake,' with absolutely no malicious intent. Ironically, now this anchor is being 'lynched' (see, it has many uses) for her use of the term.

Just to play devil's advocate, would it be ok if Tiger were Jewish and Kelly said that the only way to beat him was to throw him in a gas chamber?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, would it be ok if Tiger were Jewish and Kelly said that the only way to beat him was to throw him in a gas chamber?
    That is no where near what she was trying to say and you know it...... common, you know it was just Kelly being Kely, trying to be funny at the expense of a friend, not an entire race......

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    That is no where near what she was trying to say and you know it...... common, you know it was just Kelly being Kely, trying to be funny at the expense of a friend, not an entire race......
    I know it, you know it, but there are people out there that take things like this and run with them regardless of what you and I think or know. It certainly doesn't mean they are right, but it is the logic they use.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I know it, you know it, but there are people out there that take things like this and run with them regardless of what you and I think or know. It certainly doesn't mean they are right, but it is the logic they use.
    Or LACK of logic.

Thread Information