100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Lorne Rubenstein of the Globe and Mail writes on this issue today.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    WRONG. My ancestors were basically slaughtered (native canadians), so to say this sort of thing never happened in Canada and no one can relate is incorrect. They were no match for those firesticks.

To me it's history, and I don't go nuts when someone makes a comment about the reservation or windshield washer fluid, etc.
    I was speaking specifically about race relations as it relates to those between Caucasians and African Americans in the United States. I was saying that people here may not be able to relate to the impact of the word 'lynch' because we lack the same history. Both countries do share a collective shame about past and continuing treatment of aboriginals. Using your example, if a sports commentator referred to *what you said above* with respect to aboriginals, I would expect and hope for that commentator to be fired.
    Last edited by spackler; 01-12-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: staying on topic

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    As I requested before, please let's not get into examples of racist comments. I don't want to have to close the thread, so please keep this thread limited to what was said and the reaction to it.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 01-12-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

It's a very touchy subject to be sure, and the very term that was used by Kelly in the first place has strong racial overtones. I think it's a very hard subject to discuss, to compare and contrast without using examples. I think on the whole we're a balanced and well educated bunch and we've done a very good job of keeping this discussion in context and in perspective.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Obviously comparing incidents such as Ben Wright's firing over his comments are relevant.

"Racism" discussions are not normally permitted at all here due to the potential for flame wars to erupt. I have been allowing this one for obvious reasons. I want to be sure it stays within the context of this case. Drawing on these hypotheticals to bolster a point of view can offend people easily, so let's just stay on course here please.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Obviously comparing incidents such as Ben Wright's firing over his comments are relevant.

"Racism" discussions are not normally permitted at all here due to the potential for flame wars to erupt. I have been allowing this one for obvious reasons. I want to be sure it stays within the context of this case. Drawing on these hypotheticals to bolster a point of view can offend people easily, so let's just stay on course here please.
    agreed.

9 Iron pheenster is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Well, Tiger's management team has. Tiger is notoriously non-political, so we don't really know how he feels on much of anything outside of golf and his charity work.
    Tiger is fully aware of what his achivements mean for black America as well as society as a whole. If there were racial undertones to what she said, she would be looking for a new job and be persona non grata in the golf world.

Since we're comparing and contrasting other questionable utterances, I'm surprised Fuzzy Zoeller's "fried chicken and collard greens" comment at the Masters hasn't come up yet (or maybe it has, and I missed it); now that was a racist remark. If Zoeller made that comment today, he'd lose his card. He should have at the time, but I think Tiger was relatively new to the Tour and didn't want to be responsible for having one of golf's "characters" tossed out. Today, he'd be toast.

Quote Originally Posted by pheenster View Post
    Tiger is fully aware of what his achivements mean for black America as well as society as a whole. If there were racial undertones to what she said, she would be looking for a new job and be persona non grata in the golf world.
    Are you telling me there are no racial undertones in Kelly's remark? I guess I will just never understand why some people don't equate lynching with racsim.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I guess I will just never understand why some people don't equate lynching with racsim.
    I guess I will just never understand why some people equate many words to racism. It is these same people that still see the world in black and white. Some people read waaayy too much into things.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    I guess I will just never understand why some people equate many words to racism. It is these same people that still see the world in black and white. Some people read waaayy too much into things.
    Hey, I can see grey too ok, but this is just a word that shouldn't be used in relation African Americans, plain and simple. There's political correctness for the sake of political correctness, which is just plain insanity, and then there's the courtesy of being educated. Tighlman slipped up, and was appropriately suspended for the slip up. I have never called for her firing throughout this entire thread, so I'm no Al Sharpton.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    a word that shouldn't be used in relation to African Americans, plain and simple.
    I guess it is a matter of opinion, which is why some people will always see black and white. When I read her quote, I honestly didn't see anything wrong with it. I would never have related "that word" to racism.

Tighlman slipped up, and was appropriately suspended for the slip up.
    Yah...several days later and probably only because TGC felt some pressure to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Yah...several days later and probably only because TGC felt some pressure to do something.
    Either way, it's what they should have done. A hard lesson learned for Kelly.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    As I requested before, please let's not get into examples of racist comments. ...
    With the intent of complying with this directive, I ask readers to read the wiki article on Mr. Sharpton for some examples of the racist and bigotted things he has said.

Those who live in glass houses, should stop throwing stones.

If the case had been raised/supported by someone who was sightly more above reproach, it might, in the eyes of many, carried more wieght. As it is, Sharpton is one whose opinions I can very easily dismiss as overblown.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    For those who predicted that Kelly would never work for the Golf Channel again, you may be wrong. The New York Times claims that she will be back on the job today, and that she will be issuing another apology.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I think Tiger's recent comments made it clear that the fall out was overdone and the firing if the editor who went over the top made a few realise that they had to get of the kelly bashing wagon. I do hope they leave Lerner in the booth though, I think he is better that her.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information