CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

Angry Eagle Creek's clubhouse....

A strangely recurring theme....

Was speaking with a golfer this week about the nice courses around town, and was surprised to hear this comment recur.... The eyesore at Eagle Creek has been there a long time, it looks great from far away, but there is NO clubhouse. People don't talk about how interesting the 14th hole is, or how they played the 18th, or whether they appreciated the paving stone paths.... they just talk about what a tragedy the clubhouse is...

Does anybody agree that a real clubhouse should be built? Does anybody agree that the course deserves it? Does anybody agree that the owners could easily afford it and that it would only serve to attract more revenue to the course... at least in hospitality, if not additional greens fees?

spidey

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I have spoken to Mr Lacasse about the clubhouse and his position is that the course comes first. The interlocking stone cart paths are costing Millions to complete, and should be completed next year. Once the course is the way he wants it, revenue will be put into the clubhouse. I have seen the plans for the interior and it looks impressive.

The clubhouse will be done. But the course comes first.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

clubhouse

I agree with that entirely. I for one would rather see the course continue be in GREAT shape. As long as they have somewhere to grab a bite, and they do, then thats ok. I would imagine that a full clubhouse would only benefit those tournaments with BIG bucks. Who wants to play in a tournament if it will cost you $200 to play and eat in a million dollar clubhouse with those million dollar price tags for steaks? I will be content with buying my beer and enjoy it while not selling the farm to buy it!

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road

Post creek clubhouse

I for one could care less about the clubhouse. I feel a clubhouse would be more important if it was a private club. There is plenty of access for eats and wobblies on the course. The shack at the crossroads serves it's purpose and can be visited numerous times during the round. A shack at the turn slows down play as players seem to take a little longer. I play the creek every second week and certainly couldn"t continue if they were to raise the rates to pay for another scuttlebutt lodge. The existing 19th hole may not be eisenhower's cabin but the pints are always cold. Cheers to Andy for keeping the course lush, the pace swift(interval times and never over-booked), the prices reasonable and the pints cold.

...hmmm....

stated by clankoffdatee....
    raise the rates to pay for another scuttlebutt lodge
    Well, they aren't raising the rates to pay for the course upgrades, why would I believe that it's a good idea to raise rates for a clubhouse that nobody cares about? Somehow I expect Mr. Lacasse to have more business sense than that.

stated by nine1...
    Who wants to play in a tournament if it will cost you $200 to play and eat in a million dollar clubhouse with those million dollar price tags for steaks? I will be content with buying my beer and enjoy it while not selling the farm to buy it!
    You won't be prevented from buying a reasonably priced beer at the crossover just because they build a clubhouse. But, you will be able to relax in cool clubhouse with a menu that doesn't read like a Mac's Milk, perhaps even take a shower before you toddle off home or to your job. Loch March has a nice clubhouse, their fees haven't skyrocketed, and they keep working on their course too.

stated by Dan...
    I have spoken to Mr Lacasse about the clubhouse and his position is that the course comes first.
    This only sounds like half the story. Mr. Lacasse has been there a long time. Among other things, the parking lot has been paved, the entrance gate looks like a private condo, and the paving stone path all have nothing to do with how well the course plays or is maintained.

It was just an impromptu tally of opinions. YMMV.

spidey

Gee Spidey, lighten up.

When the course was purchased it was in such disrepair it was almost back to being a field. He has done wonders with it
    Hats off to Phil Auger the head greenskeeper for doing a FABULOUS job.

What would you suggest they do now to improve playability?

I have no problem with the clubhouse, it is not an eyesore. I prefer his attention to other details. Personally I don't care if the cart paths are paved or stone, but those are his priorities.

If he has no clubhouse it is his loss, as he cannot hold tournaments that have dinners, but that is about it.

...good points Dan

I'm light... but I'm also tenacious and opinionated.... that's what makes a good forum...

spidey

...and...

Dan....

...please don't think I'm trying to start anything more than a discussion here, but....

...being the crown jewel of public golf in the National Capital Region... host of the Classic... don't you think they should be held to a higher standard than the average local course.. and that the greens fees they charge reflect that...?

spidey

hehehe ok Spidey

It has already attained pretty high status as a "crown jewel of public golf in the National Capital Region" because of the course.

I agree that the clubhouse is something that will elevate its prestige even higher, when complete. These things take time and a LOT of money. Eagle Creek was built with money from lots of investors who spent more than they had. Andre bought it and brought it up to the level it is now with his own money. He has maintained a schedule of improvements that are significant.

I can only guess what it will cost to complete the clubhouse, and I know for a fact that it will be done.

I think you feel that Mr Lacasse has all the money in the world to spend on it. Sounds like the kind of thinking that killed it once before. Would you like to see it die a painful death and return to it's former state of ruin?

hmm.... on the contrary...

I think you feel that Mr Lacasse has all the money in the world to spend on it.
    No, I didn't say that, and I don't think that at all. I understand money rather well, and assets, liabilities and debt load. Of course, Mr. Lacasse won't be sharing his balance sheets with us, so I doubt our or my second guessing can ever be validated.

I just think that the return on investment from the clubhouse would have been higher than some of the other priorities/renovations, and that the improvement in the aesthetics would make it a lock.

spidey

Gap Wedge HÄnd|cÄp is on a distinguished road

well...

there are far too many skitter bees at The Creek!
    You lifted your head...grrrrr!

eagle creek

and way too many balls in the lake on 18!!!

Re: ...hmmm....

Originally posted by spidey

Well, they aren't raising the rates to pay for the course upgrades, why would I believe that it's a good idea to raise rates for a clubhouse that nobody cares about? Somehow I expect Mr. Lacasse to have more business sense than that.

spidey
    I would agree that an upgraded clubhouse would certainly add to the experience and bring in additional revenue in the long run. This would especially be true during the classic. A new clubhouse would attract added revenues in tournaments, leagues and special events which could possibly heighten the expereience. With that said, I just don't think it is their focus to spend their budget on "extras" and I get the impression they are far from interested in becoming another tournament course.If you consider that their revenues are probably affected by their insistence on limited booking #'s and 10 or 12 minute interval times as well as a little extra TLC perhaps their budgets won't allow the added costs of this type of facility. Maintaining the course is afterall an operational necessity. I also agree that Mr Lacasse has so much business sense that he might want to turn a profit. Imagine that? As far as the comparison to the other course nearby I would still chose EC without a facility. At least I can be sure I won't be pushed along because the course is overbooked and I won't have to change my tee time to play around the royal order of water buffaloes tournament.

the creek

I agree with you clankoffdatee, Eagle Creek is one of the few courses where you can play a round of golf and virtually never see another group in front or behind you. Their "wait till they get on the green before we start" idea is the best . I love playing without being pushed or having to wait . Its great and I wish more clubs would follow the idea.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Mr. Lacasse made a promise to the CPGA that he would have a completed clubhouse by his third contract year with the Eagle Creek Classic.

Last year he raised his prices $15, the cart path was almost complete and still no clubhouse. I personally don't care for the cart path (I prefer to walk) but I would like to sit in a proper environment after a round. Especially after paying that kind of money.

It certainly would be not difficult to upgrade the clubhouse section by section.

I deal with many sales reps who enjoy taking me out for a round and they always avoid the Creek because it isn't a pleasing environment to talk business. We usually end up at Loch March. Mr. Lacasse does lose revenue due to this fact.

$65 dollars is too steep for what you get (all around package).

eagle creek

I can't agree with you on this one em69. I have played both the Creek and Loch March and for my money, (and I beleive many others would agree) the $20 difference between those two courses are that one offers better playing conditions and one offers very comfortable chairs to sit on..........which one is better for the golfer????????
    If you are there to socialize with clients you would be better off at Loch March, but if you want the best course in town.....go to the Creek.

Originally posted by em69

$65 dollars is too steep for what you get (all around package). [/B]
    With all due respect, give your head a shake.
    You might want to check with your reps if they do any business on golf courses out of the city. $65 don't get you much.

The bottom line is if you place any importance to the "apres golf" then perhaps this course is not for you. If Mr Lacasse is prepared to overlook the extra revenue $$ because of whatever reason it is his choice.
    You can exercise yours by not playing there.

I really fail to see the importance of this type of facility other then added revenue from the club's perspective. If these type of things are so important to the golfer then perhaps courses such as Camelot would start losing members due to a lack of certain fringe type facilities. Afterall they do still have only a tent as the half-way house. Now that my friends is something to squawk about.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by em69
    [B]. We usually end up at Loch March. Mr. Lacasse does lose revenue due to this fact.

Furthermore...

I played Loch March numerous( 5+) times this year including as recently as Thursday and I am very confident in assuring you that it is not Mr Lacasse that is losing out!!!
    If I were you I would insist your reps bring you to the creek or stonebridge and a nice dinner at one of Kanata's fine dining establishments where the drinks are reasonably priced, closing time isn't until 1am and a safe cab ride won't cost them $500 to the city limits.

Originally posted by em69

$65 dollars is too steep for what you get (all around package). [/B]
    With all due respect, give your head a shake.
    You might want to check with your reps if they do any business on golf courses out of the city. $65 don't get you much.

The bottom line is if you place any importance to the "apres golf" then perhaps this course is not for you. If Mr Lacasse is prepared to overlook the extra revenue $$ because of whatever reason it is his choice.
    You can exercise yours by not playing there.

I really fail to see the importance of this type of facility other then added revenue from the club's perspective. If these type of things are so important to the golfer then perhaps courses such as Camelot would start losing members due to a lack of certain fringe type facilities. Afterall they do still have only a tent as the half-way house. Now that my friends is something to squawk about.

Lob Wedge shawnabramsen is on a distinguished road

Da Clubhouse at Da Creek

I gotta put in my two cents here...as usual!
    For golf courses to keep their green fees down, it would do them well to diversify their income. During the off season, Canadian has the simulators, banquets etc. Having a rustic type restaurant with linen on the tables and a gorgeous snow covered view of the fairways might encourage us to bring our wives/dates (thats and OR..not both) out for a nice meal. I know that my wife and I are sick and tired of eating at places where there are napkin dispensers and plastic trays. So if I could skin over a few extra bucks to my favorite golf course, why not? My vote: get the clubhouse up and running but not at the expense of the course. I'm there for the golf, not the grub. During the season, let the tournaments patronize the clubhouse...in the off season I'm happy to fund it with a nice relaxed dinner!

Thread Information