100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

tourny plus skins

hey guys.....
    I was wondering if there is enough interest in doing an OPTIONAL skins game at the october tournament. I like playing with an added incentive. I thought $5 or $10 per peson. Anybody interested????

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

Doesn't sound like a bad idea....

well... considering that people will be looking at having to make a a few birdies to have a chance at a skin, I somehow think the pot may be a bit skinny.

It's always worth a try. Perhaps if it's set up, then there will be enough people interested. But, we could decide that if a certain minimum number of guys/girls isn't met, then the pot is returned? Just an idea.

....just so we're on the same page... this would not be considered any winnings that are distributed by the committee for the golf tournament, eh RulesNut?

spidey

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Not to worry.

The RCGA does not object to participation in wagering among individual golfers when participation in the wagering is limited to the players, the players may only wager on themselves, the sole source of all money won by players is advanced by the players and the primary purpose is the playing of the game for enjoyment.

Participation in wagering among individual golfers constitutes golf wagering and not playing for prize money.

Smile

woooo hoooo....

breathing a sigh of relief...

...turns out that there are some rules I like

tx Gary

skins

When we play on the weekends and we play this format, we all have established handicaps and we go with those handicaps for our skins games. A 10 handicap would have a stoke on the hardest 10 holes and so on. I know for some who dont have a handicap can estimate their best and worst scores for this purpose. We also, only give a maximum of 17 stoke holes to let the lower handicaps have at least one hole where they dont give ip a stoke to anybody and a birdie will win them a skin. So a par on the tougher holes may be a winner and then some.

Like I said this is the way play it, but am willing to listen to others if this is not acceptable to others. Any suggestions?

hmmm... interesting format....

Another format is... no handicaps... birdies or better.

There are other formats too... like half handicaps, I suppose....

It's just that... I've seen it happen when somebody wins a skin with a net zero... or a net double-eagle. Kinda leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Personally, I can't really prove my handicap... I've played quite a few rounds on unrated courses. I'm guessing that there are some other players here who don't have, or can't produce their handicap.

Either way, I'm not against it. People just have to be able to understand their chances of winning. Buyer beware.

spidey

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Just so you know, nine1 is going to run this and take care of it officially. This is a sanctioned part of the event. He will be at the sign in table taking care of this for us.

Thanks nine1

and I'm in for the skins.

skins

spidey.... I know what you are saying about your handicap and I'm sure you are not the only one who does not have a registered handicap. For these purposes, we take the golfers WORD for it as to how much they play and what their average score is. If you or anyone for that matter, are an HONEST person, then you will be letting us know approx. what your handicap should be. If you shoot around 85-90 then it should be around the 14-18 mark.

As far as NO strokes....impossible to get players to bet on themselves. As far as half stokes, again lots of people wont be willing to drop another $5 - $10 not to have a chance at winning something.

We do this every weekend and even the high handicappers have a chance at winning. Beleive me when I say it is easier for a high handicaper to make par than a middle handicapper to make birdie to cut someone off. I'm an 11 handicap and I can make a birdie every two rounds but wouldnt win any skins because someone with a 16 handicap makes par on a tough hole. The handicaps really do even things out, as they should.

skins

Just to add a small note on the way these skins are won. First of all, we refer our weekend games as "cleaners" rather than skins.

The $5 per player is put in a pot and is then devided by the holes that are won outright by one player only. This all works with stokes given as per your handicap (i.e. handicap of 10 = 1 stroke on the hardest 10 holes) If there were 20 payers ($100 pot) and only 5 cleaners/skins were won than each cleaner would be worth $20.

skins / cleaners

Here it is, the last post on this subject......there WILL be a skins/cleaners game going on during sunday's tournament. It is an OPTIONAL game inside the game. Cost of $5 per player.

Players are given one stoke per hole up to their handicap. ei: 10 handicap gets one stoke off his score on the ten hardest holes. and a 5 handicap gets 5 holes only. There will be a maximum of 17 holes ONLY. Therefore a 22 handicap is allowed one stroke on 17 holes only.

Those interested can sign up prior to the tournament.

Thread Information