100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Question Which golf rule would you like to see changed?

Simple question, of the rules of golf, which one do you think is the most archiac and would like to see changed/updated/eliminated?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Fixing spike marks.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    The ones that imply or state that you have to include all shots ... so unfair.
    Back at it.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    No Beer Carts before noon.......

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Fixing spike marks.
    ...and divots...

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Hitting out of divots.. and spike marks.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Hitting out of divots and spike marks while drinking beer before noon

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    no tank tops...
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    This question being asked within four years of it last being asked

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    This question being asked within four years of it last being asked
    I don't understand your point? Whats wrong with a question being asked again after 4 years?

No, I meant being raised before four years had elapsed.
    This topic appears on more rules forums than pretty well anything else and always comes up with same items by usually the same people every time. Virtually all have been considered and disregarded by the Ruling Bodies many times.
    Major revisions are reviewed every four years and adjustments made in the Decisions every two years. Actually I would be happy with a two year embargo.

But to be honest I don't think it will happen in the same way the 'regulars' (divot holes, spike marks, OOB penalty) will not be changed by the RBs

I'll just have to live with it and with the rules

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Hitting out of divots
    Golf is many things but one of its fundamentals is that we play the course as we find it. Eliminating this and we eliminate one of the games significant challenges. However, if implemented, disallowing having to play out of a divot would make the Rules a little simpler, as there would be no need for Rule 13, "Ball Played as it Lies." Every lie that one finds that is less than perfect, of course, is in an "old" divot, and subject to moving and this is exactly how many would see it. The "call" would become too subjective.

Instead, I would ADD two rules:
    Rule 35: Before playing his next stroke the golfer MUST replace any divots he took, AND, if the ball impacted the putting green, the ball mark MUST be repaired. (Unless the golfer who is away requests that the ball mark NOT be repaired) Penalty: Two strokes or loss of hole.

Rule 36: When it is the golfers turn to play, he has 40 seconds to make his stroke.
    Penalty: Two strokes or loss of hole. It's called the move your butt rule.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Rule 36: When it is the golfers turn to play, he has 40 seconds to make his stroke.
    Penalty: Two strokes or loss of hole. It's called the move your butt rule.
    That would be my favorite rule!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I would submit that the most-ignored rule in golf is Rule 8-1 and it should be deleted (or perhaps used as a CoC in tournaments only):

During a stipulated round, a player must not:

(a) give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or
    (b) ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies.

When you think about it, it is a rule that penalizes people for helping others. It just doesn't seem to be in keeping with the spirit of the game, does it?

Most rounds of golf are strictly recreational anyway, so who really cares about what people talk about? If someone asks me what club I used, where I think their putt breaks or whether their backswing is going past parallel - I'll tell them. The game is tough enough - I don't think we need a rule that says golfers can't help each other.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Jack Nicklaus has said the same thing for years. Divots should be classed as Ground Under Repair and be treated as such. But I bet we'll never see that change!

Spike marks really should not be an issue now with soft spikes. Unless IGOR drags his clod hoppers around on the green
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Jack's comment was specifically about sand filled divots. Since they are sand filled, they are literally ground under repair.

As for spike marks, I am very glad they are rare now, but to me that's a good reason to allow them to be fixed. There is no good reason to be forced to putt on a damaged line.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    When you think about it, it is a rule that penalizes people for helping others. It just doesn't seem to be in keeping with the spirit of the game, does it?
    Remember, there may be a hundred other players in the tournament. Are you going to give them all the benefit of your experience ? Shouldn't therefore every player in the field be entitled to exchange information about the pace of the greens, the break on this one or that one? Ever player must be treated the same. If the first to tee off on a par 3 in the group ahead finds the green is soggy and he tells his group should he come back and tell you?

Most rounds of golf are strictly recreational anyway, so who really cares about what people talk about? If someone asks me what club I used, where I think their putt breaks or whether their backswing is going past parallel - I'll tell them. The game is tough enough - I don't think we need a rule that says golfers can't help each other.
    Unless you are putting a card in for handicap, I don't think anyone is bothered about what rules your group ignore or make up. If you are putting a card in, you are doing yourself a diservice as your handicap will be lower than justified.

But if you are playing for money is everyone involved (ie other groups) aware of just which rules are being ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    , they are literally ground under repair.
    Now then Dan, you know better than that

'ground under repair' is defined in the rules. It will only mislead the rule 'beginners' to imply ground being repaired fits the definition.

You know that I know that you know ......... that you are literally correct in using the word literally - but.

Ever player must be treated the same.
    How come you can use this arguement here yet choose to ignore it when talking about hitting from divots?

If every player must be treated the same then why are the players in the last group of the day forced to play from divots that did not even exist when the first group of the day played the hole?? or why are players expected to deal with spike marks that didn't exist before the idiot who doesn't know how to walk properly in the preceeding group played the hole??

You don't need to answer because we already know what the answer will be according to the rules.

I only raise this as a perfect illustration of how the inconsistencies in the rules of golf drive some of us CRAZY

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Simple question, of the rules of golf, which one do you think is the most archiac and would like to see changed/updated/eliminated?
    This ones easy for me.

I wish a rule could be adjusted or a new one created that could properly control slow play. If we could play every round in 4 hours or less, I think this would enhance the game of golf in a big way. Maybe it would involve a sniper or trap doors in the fairways or a referee issuing red flags or something.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Id like to see super harsh penalties for committees/clubs , who continue to act outside the rules , often to serve their own cause

I am not trying to mislead anyone. That is the argument that Jack was making.
    Now then Dan, you know better than that

'ground under repair' is defined in the rules. It will only mislead the rule 'beginners' to imply ground being repaired fits the definition.

You know that I know that you know ......... that you are literally correct in using the word literally - but.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    Id like to see super harsh penalties for committees/clubs , who continue to act outside the rules , often to serve their own cause
    Interesting. Would you give us an example or two of what goes on in your neck of the woods, where committees act outside the rules?

One is improperly marking lateral hazzards at tree lines to speed up play. It is done at a lot of courses.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 01-08-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    I'd like them to remove the limit to the number of clubs you can carry.

7 Wood Stephen is on a distinguished road
    Either no limit to the clubs you can carry or increase it to 15.

There are so many club options these days the golfer should be able to decide for themself.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Remember, there may be a hundred other players in the tournament. Are you going to give them all the benefit of your experience ? Shouldn't therefore every player in the field be entitled to exchange information about the pace of the greens, the break on this one or that one? Ever player must be treated the same. If the first to tee off on a par 3 in the group ahead finds the green is soggy and he tells his group should he come back and tell you?
    Most golf rounds are not in tournament play, so the notion of a "field" to protect is really not that relevant. You could always keep this for tournament play only like they do with the "one-ball" rule.

And since when have all players been treated the same anyway? The wind picks up (or not), the sun is in your eyes (or not), it rains (or it doesn't), there are divot marks (or not) - it is different for everybody even if they are playing in the same group. Random events just happen in golf, and who you happen to be playing with and what they know is just another lucky (or perhaps unlucky) one.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    Unless you are putting a card in for handicap, I don't think anyone is bothered about what rules your group ignore or make up. If you are putting a card in, you are doing yourself a diservice as your handicap will be lower than justified.
    Golf is a social form of recreation, so a rule against talking just doesn't seem to fit. If you're worried that advice will lower your handicap (and I doubt that many people worry about that), then don't ask!

Choosing to play with a scratch player in a tournament and asking about your swing or what club to take is not a random event. The rule controls this.
    But feel free to talk as much as you like in social golf, I do.
    But then handicaps are not based on all cards being returned over here.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    You should not have to play out of someone else's footprint in a bunker just because they were to lazy to rake.

justsomeguy

Not trying to make a point or anything but here is an extract from the 1886 rules from the Royal Isle of Wight Club which is of historic interest.

Asking Advice
    21. A player may not ask advice about the game, of any one, either by word, look or gesture, excepting of his partner and of his own or partner's caddie.

Thread Information