100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    So does that make it the most archaic then?

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    No, this which some wish to change goes back to 1744

If you should lose your Ball, by it's being taken up, or any other way, you are to go back to the Spot, where you struck last, & drop another Ball, And allow your adversary a Stroke for the misfortune.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I am n sure I want to see you playing golf in a tank top!
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    no tank tops...

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Interesting. Would you give us an example or two of what goes on in your neck of the woods, where committees act outside the rules?
    off top of my head , i can think of 3

Paying out cash jackpots for 2's
    Letting a player play in the stroke champs "after" the entire field has finished , he'd just returned from interclub duties in the morning , claiming he didnt know he could have played the day before "dispensation" , the player missed his tee time , but made noises about not playing interclub the following year , so they caved in
    Allowing free drops from a safety fence while playing 1 hole , denying it from the same fence while playing another , trees against 1 side made the actual relief senerios quite complicated ,seems explaining the rules to players was too hard , so they invented their own
    Not defining the bounderies of the course etc , funny how when important games/decisions have to be made , they find an excuse , or when it involves one fo their own , its in their own favour

no doubt these sorta things happen a lot , but shouldnt , and there should be ramifications

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    Paying out cash jackpots for 2's
    Letting a player play in the stroke champs "after" the entire field has finished , he'd just returned from interclub duties in the morning , claiming he didnt know he could have played the day before "dispensation" , the player missed his tee time , but made noises about not playing interclub the following year , so they caved in
    Allowing free drops from a safety fence while playing 1 hole , denying it from the same fence while playing another , trees against 1 side made the actual relief senerios quite complicated ,seems explaining the rules to players was too hard , so they invented their own
    Not defining the bounderies of the course etc , funny how when important games/decisions have to be made , they find an excuse , or when it involves one fo their own , its in their own favour
    hmm...seems to me like you might want to consider playing at a different club next season.
    I dislike the rule where if you have addressed the ball (grounded your club) and the ball moves you are penalized, even if you did not cause the ball to move.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    I dislike the rule where if you have addressed the ball (grounded your club) and the ball moves you are penalized, even if you did not cause the ball to move.
    Addressed the ball and grounded you club are not the same thing. If you haven't taken your stance and grounded you club, you have not addressed the ball.

But in a hazard (bunker or water) you can't ground your club, so just taking your stance is sufficient.

By the way, Cabrera got penalised once when the ball moved and he hadn't even grounded his club.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Your suggestions are bang on, Lyle. Slow play is a killer. Paul's suggestion for a trap door, presumably through which slow players would fall into oblivion has some real merit. DNFs would then include a subset of DTTs, "dropped through trap."

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    .. Instead, I would ADD two rules:
    Rule 35: Before playing his next stroke the golfer MUST replace any divots he took, AND, if the ball impacted the putting green, the ball mark MUST be repaired. (Unless the golfer who is away requests that the ball mark NOT be repaired) Penalty: Two strokes or loss of hole.

Rule 36: When it is the golfers turn to play, he has 40 seconds to make his stroke.
    Penalty: Two strokes or loss of hole. It's called the move your butt rule.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    The 14 club rule, I would like to bring as many as my bag will hold, it is the only way some of them may see a golf course... Ha ha ha

I agree with pace of play... as can be attested to from playing in Liverpool New York on Tuesday this week, we were a two some on the back nine following a group of five golfers 2 groups ahead of us...made for a long back nine, but then again it was January 8 and I was golfing.....

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    but then again it was January 8 and I was golfing.....
    Very lucky Craig..

But yeah, I would change the 14 club rule, as well. Sometimes you just need those "demo days."
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Hey Paul,

Yep, very lucky to get to play in January. It was a real treat. I hope spring comes early....

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Craig dont you mean the 14 bag rule, isn't that how many you have?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Choosing to play with a scratch player in a tournament and asking about your swing or what club to take is not a random event. The rule controls this.
    But feel free to talk as much as you like in social golf, I do.
    But then handicaps are not based on all cards being returned over here.
    Nobody is saying there should not be a rule compelling someone to answer the question, or even to answer it truthfully, but to get penalized by asking or offering information seems odd.

Are you allowed to stand next to your FCs bag and look at what club is missing, or see which one he puts back? You aren't asking anything, and noticing that is no different than watching their put break. Also, if I say to someone, "holy crap, that broke left, give it a few more inches to the right" and they saw that it broke left, does the advice really help?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r View Post
    Are you allowed to stand next to your FCs bag and look at what club is missing, or see which one he puts back?
    Yes you can. On the PGA tour caddies often put a towel over the irons to prevent an FC from seeing what's missing.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Yes you can. On the PGA tour caddies often put a towel over the irons to prevent an FC from seeing what's missing.
    See, here's where it doesnt make sense....and you hear this alot....you still need to make the shot. even pros have a yardage range on their clubs, and there are so many factors to actually shooting, that the advice is minor.

Just don't ask what club he hit before all in your group have hit. After all have hit you are free to discuss the shots played.

Yardage info can be shared at any time.

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    This is something that I've wondered about...... giving out yardages. As anybody with a laser rangefinder or GPS can attest, your playing buddies want that yardage.

Under the rules, if my FC asked "What's the yardage", and I said "151 yards"... are we both in breach of the rule?

(As a sidenote, I was starting to get ticked last season, because my buddy would expect me to come over and give him a yardage - I didn't mind if I happened to be in the neighborhood, but if I was elsewhere, he would occasionally wait... I'm too nice a guy. If I was playing poorly, and in subsequent mood, I'd tell him to get his own yardage).

Yardage is considered information and not advice.

"It's 150 yards to the center of the green"

"You should use an 8 iron"

Your buddy needs his own rangefinder, or do without when you are not handy. He should not be calling you over especially if you are on foot. That isn't a rule, just common sense.

Thread Information