100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Madawaska

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Madawaska

I've pretty well decided to joining Madawaska this coming spring. The dues ($730 for a full membership) and the fact that cart fees are most reasonable are important factors for me, especially since I won't ever be walking any courses again. The ankle fusion is out, but that's another matter. The course is in good shape and fun to play. Besides, it's only a 25 minute drive from my house.

I know you guys have opinions on everything. If you have any thoughts on Madawaska, I'd like to hear them. Please keep in mind, though, that I'm not interested (nor is Dan) in having the course disparaged. An objective assessment is all I'm looking for. By the way, don't bother telling me that the course is short. While it may appear that way on paper, from the back tees it played long enough during the Intersectionals.

Thanks for your help.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Good for you.Its not always about playing the best courses or the most expensive ones its about belonging to a club that suits your needs and not everybody elses.My wife and i were at the Canadian for two wonderfull years and enjoyed our stay there but we live in Gatineau and the drive in was killing me.I hate the Queensway traffic and all the traffic from Gatineau in the a.m.So we made a change for this year.We were on a waiting list to join Buckingham golf club for almost two years.It too is only 25 minutes away but no traffic ever.Its a nice little course that suits us just fine.I am shure you will enjoy your season up there and i hope we get to play together.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    $730 ? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Team Match Play Champ 2009 geronamo is on a distinguished road
    I was never a huge fan of madawaska as I didn't find there to be much of a variety in the holes. I also didn't like the fact that they have one line of trees around most of the fairways. This punishes the drives that are just off the mark but the players that really hook or slice the ball turn out just fine as they are probably just a fairway over. All this set aside, $730 for a full membership is still a very good deal. Hope you enjoy.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2007 & 2009 OTTAWA GOLF RYDER CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

Thanks for all of your comments. One of the additional features that attracts me is the par 3 course. I'm looking forward to my wife and I will be able to play a few rounds on the short course. As for the trees, I love them. They'll force me to pay attention to where I drive the ball. You can play safe, which makes the holes longer, but if you bust it, you'd better be accurate. I love that.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Thanks for all of your comments. One of the additional features that attracts me is the par 3 course. I'm looking forward to my wife and I will be able to play a few rounds on the short course. As for the trees, I love them. They'll force me to pay attention to where I drive the ball. You can play safe, which makes the holes longer, but if you bust it, you'd better be accurate. I love that.
    I will be looking for my invitation in the mail
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Other than Copperdale (only $700 for dues), Madawaska is a bit better of a deal due to the fact that it has the executive course as well. If you're looking for a challenging course Mike, I think you found it w/ Madawaska. With all those tree lined holes you'll either have to improve your driving/ball striking or you'll struggle all year. Personally I find the course a bit too tight (I usually play a fade/cut and I couldn't aim enough left on some holes to suit my ball flight), but the conditions are definately good, and although I found it short from the back tees, the course does provide a challenge.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

You'll get an invitation, Bob. Bring your change, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I will be looking for my invitation in the mail

Geoff, years ago when I lived in NB, one of the courses to which I belonged was short. Our solution was to occasionally tee off with nothing longer than a 5 iron. That made the course play long!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    ... Personally I find the course a bit too tight (I usually play a fade/cut and I couldn't aim enough left on some holes to suit my ball flight), but the conditions are definately good, and although I found it short from the back tees, the course does provide a challenge.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Geoff, years ago when I lived in NB, one of the courses to which I belonged was short. Our solution was to occasionally tee off with nothing longer than a 5 iron. That made the course play long!

Changing it up like that definately will make the course feel/play different. I just didn't like the fact that I couldn't play my regular shot because the fairway was too narrow. I don't mind tight courses, I just found that one a little too tight. I'm sure you'll enjoy your season there. It's all about what you make of it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

One of the things that I like about tight courses is that they require you to execute good shots. Failure has its price. I like that. Of course, if it's too penal, then that kind of stress becomes unenjoyable. However, Madawaska doesn't present that kind of nastiness.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I agree with Marcos--you dont have to play the top couses to enjoy the game--I was wondering how Marcos was finding the drive from Gatineau---we were having trouble driving from Orleans and if you missed the traffic window you missed your t-time---I don't know what the traffic will be like 5 years from now By the way Marcos--did you get a Buckingham membership or are you still waiting? One other thing if gas goes to 1.50 a litre I'll get a bike A Harley
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    My uncle is a member at Madawaska, and I had the opportunity to play a couple of years ago. I was a little skeptical at first but the course offers a good challenge. I enjoyed the holes that offered a great risk / reward challenge. Some drivable 4 pars, that if you miss the green you can still easily make bogey.

For the price it's a great deal. I hope you enjoy your membership.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Madawaska

Hi Bryan,we did indeed get our membership and the post dated cheques have been sent.They only take 400 members and.they have a 50 or so members a year turnover.We will be able to cut our travelling expenses and time by one third.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I agree with Marcos--you dont have to play the top couses to enjoy the game--I was wondering how Marcos was finding the drive from Gatineau---we were having trouble driving from Orleans and if you missed the traffic window you missed your t-time---I don't know what the traffic will be like 5 years from now By the way Marcos--did you get a Buckingham membership or are you still waiting? One other thing if gas goes to 1.50 a litre I'll get a bike A Harley

You'll get an invitation, Bob. Bring your change, though.
    Change???? The last time I played with you guys I had to pull out the BILLS! I had to scrape up change between the car seats to buy myself a Timmies on the road trip home!

3 Wood Dawg64 is on a distinguished road Dawg64's Avatar
    MPARE, let me be the first to welcome you to Madawaska. One of the secrets of Madawaska is it's friendly membership and many club events through out the year. You will enjoy yourself!

Dawg64

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Hi Bryan,we did indeed get our membership and the post dated cheques have been sent.They only take 400 members and.they have a 50 or so members a year turnover.We will be able to cut our travelling expenses and time by one third.
    Good grief---that will go a long way towards one of the memberships

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Enjoy it Mike, although it seems like your decision is all made up.

Personally, Manderley is head & big shoulders over Madawaska.

Cheers,
    G.

Driver bazooka Don is on a distinguished road
    Personally I think you will enjoy Madawaska. They start you off with a short Par 5 so you can muff a shot or two as your getting warmed up and after the long par 4 on number 4 I particularly like the 5-6-7 stretch. 5 always seems to play longer than the yardage indicated. 6 is a nice dogleg where if your approach shot is short your in the creek and if your long your in the woods. Then 7 you need to be nothing but long and straight because its swamp up the left and trees down the right. There are a few trees up the middle of some holes I'd like to cut down. But they just add to the challenge. Also what I like is when I take my kids out to the par 3 course the greens are always in great shape. Enjoy yourself.

bazooka Don

I've always liked Manderley, but it was time for a change. The price differential is important for me, especially for the carts, as well as the fact that Manderley will not be part of the OVGA this year. As a result, they will not have an Intersectional team this year and they will not be issuing RCGA handicap cards. As I say, though, it's time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by faldo View Post
    Enjoy it Mike, although it seems like your decision is all made up.

Personally, Manderley is head & big shoulders over Madawaska.

Cheers,
    G.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I played there numerous times (10 years ago) and i quite enjoyed the track.

Enjoy the course Mike.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    as well as the fact that Manderley will not be part of the OVGA this year. As a result, they will not have an Intersectional team this year and they will not be issuing RCGA handicap cards. As I say, though, it's time for a change.
    WOW, what happened? Why no OVGA?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

5 Wood gdwlkspld is on a distinguished road

Why Madawaska? Renfrew is a STEAL @ $750.00!!!

You should be aware that first year membership at Renfrew G.C. is now $750.00, taxes in!!!

Given the quality of the course and overall operation, that is a STEAL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gdwlkspld View Post

You should be aware that first year membership at Renfrew G.C. is now $750.00, taxes in!!!

Given the quality of the course and overall operation, that is a STEAL!!!

Plus cart for us "old guys"

Plus cart for us "old guys"
    Well this 'old guy' is hoping that later this summer he won't need a cart anymore!

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Good luck mpare. I hope we can get a few games in together at Madawaska in 2008. Playing a tight course will keep your game even sharper than it already is. I've only played it once, many years ago, so I'm looking forward to an invitation.

Did you try to negotiate a deal for carts for the season?

SH

Assuming that they accept me for membership, then you'll get an invite for sure. As for carting, I haven't talked to anyone about that yet. I'll take care of that in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere Hunter View Post
    Good luck mpare. I hope we can get a few games in together at Madawaska in 2008. Playing a tight course will keep your game even sharper than it already is. I've only played it once, many years ago, so I'm looking forward to an invitation.

Did you try to negotiate a deal for carts for the season?

SH

I agree with Sphere Hunter that playing a tight course keeps your game sharp.I tend to concentrate more when i am playing tight fairways.I have never played Madawaska but would like to go up this spring.As far as Renfrew is concerned its a beautifull course with challenging holes,and the price is incredible.

Do you guys walk Renfrew?

Madawaska

If you are refering to the wife and I Bryan,yes we walked it this summer.The back nine is quite a hike especially num. 17 hole down and up the ravine.

Do you guys walk Renfrew?

Thread Information