CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Match play...

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

Match play...

Gary...

Do you happen to know the stipulations for posting a score for handicap purposes from a played match?

I'm interested in things like:

What if the match doesn't last 13 holes?
    What score do I record if I concede a hole before holing out?
    Are there any conditions that can make a score invalid for handicap purposes?

spidey

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    For Handicap Purposes, the player shall record par plus any Handicap strokes for those holes not played.
    When recording this hole score, precede the score with an "X".

If a player does not finish a hole or is conceded a stroke then, he shall record his most likely score. Most likely score is the number of strokes already taken, plus in the player's best judgement, the number of strokes needed to complete the hole from that point more than half the time.

A score shall not be posted if the majority of the holes are not played under the principles of the Rules of Golf.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

match play

Gary,
    do we actually have to record these matches? I never do because when I play them I play a different game. Match or better the other guy and thats it. As far as "best judgement" and "most likely score"..... I dont know about that ....... how can one judge what 20 foot would actually do if it hits spike marks or rolls it by the hole another 10 feet and then miss a short 2 footer...... why would I score myself a "most likely" 2 putt when it could have been a four putt.

Spidey,
    why would you want to even think about entering your score after a round played in match play? I would think you were not playing your regular game if playing in a match. ie: playing to beat the other player in match is very different from playing stroke play because you are trying to beat them one hole at a time and NOT neccessary the lowest score pssible. I have played in many matches but seldome use the score in my handicap because I play the other guy not myself. If he is out of bounds of a tee and I am in the middle of the fairway, I dont always play for par but play to better his score on that particular hole. If I know bogie wins the hole thats what I am shooting for. Winning holes is the only thing that counts, not pars and birdies. (although alot of birdies will win the holes anyway..........hehe)

Fair handicapping depends upon full, accurate information regarding a player's potential scoring ability as reflected by his scores. Every golfer shall be responsible for returning all his acceptable scores.

Scores in both match play and stroke play, including those made in team competitions, shall be posted. Scores made in team competitions in which players are requested to pick up when out of contention shall be posted for handicap purposes.

A player who is disqualified from a competition, but has an acceptable score, shall record his adjusted gross score for handicap purposes. For example, a player who is disqualified from a competition for failure to sign his score card has an acceptable score for handicap purposes.

why would I score myself a "most likely" 2 putt when it could have been a four putt.
    It would be unreasonable to record 4 putts EVERY time a twenty foot putt was conceeded. You don't know what would have actually happened, so you record your most likely result in each situation.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

...all kinds of reasons....

...including those by RulesNut, but...

I play a couple of matches per year where I play 3 or more simultaneous matches, so I'm not always playing to beat a single score or player. I just want to know how to post them. In fact one of my best rounds of my life was playing on an OVGA intersectional squad. I can imagine that my handicap would have been artificially high if I had not posted that score.

Also, I don't find that I take unnecessary risks when I am playing stroke play, just to lower my handicap. Therefore, I rarely make an adjustment based on my opponent. Perhaps I might play for a par instead of a birdie when my opponent has cranked one OB, but you'd be surprised how a guy can make an incredible swing or two and come back for a par or bogey after an OB. Keeping the pressure on is a staple of match play, like Ryder Cup play. I think I play just as seriously for match play as stroke play, and it's most often the course, rather than the opponent, that dictates what I can do, or try.

spidey

Re: ...all kinds of reasons....

I just want to know how to post them.
    O.V.G.A. intersectionals (simultaneous matches) are played under a form of play called Three-Ball Match Play. There are only two slight Rules modifications that deal with an opponent touching or being touched by your ball (which affect his strokes taken not yours).

Players are required to submit Handicap scores in the same manner as in all other recognized forms of play.

Thread Information