CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TomTom

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

TomTom

If anyone can help me, I'm sure to find that someone on this forum. My wife gave me a TomTom One XL. Here's my problem. I can't get it to work. After connecting it to my computer, I was told that I need to download a file to operate it. It is not possible to download the file. Also, when I tried to create my TomTom account an error message popped up. Calling their service number was useless. The phone simply rings busy ... all the time. The web site is no better. It operates, to a minimal extent, at a snail's pace. If I'm right the company is overloaded and they cannot service their customers either by phone or over the Net.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Also, is this SOP for this company?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Finally, downloaded the file. The next message to get started told me to tap the screen. Numerous taps later - NOTHING. Is it possible that my device is a lemon?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I have a TomTom 720 and not too many problems. Give me a call and maybe I can help Mike.
    I've been reading where a lot of people have been having trouble getting connected to their site.

Here's a couple of forums that I go to frequently and unfortunately most people that seem to post have problems. This is like other forums of products I have. They may be of some use to you.

www.tomtomforums.com
    www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums
    www.gpsreview.net/forums

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I got my hubs the TomTom 720, he was playing with it all yesterday. We even had to go out for rides

He found the site to be totally inaccessible too. I guess everyone was looking up their new toys all at once

If you continue with the probs. let me know and I will ask him how he worked it out, or indeed if he did. It seemed to navigate us around town just fine though

The funny thing is that I asked for one and he is the one that ended up getting one.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    When I got my Tom Tom One it was a dud out of the box but the customer service was the best I have ever dealt with....I'm thinking that you're experiencing the joys of the Christmas rush

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Does this mean we can have a complete "ensemble" at the forum day?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thanks all. Gerry Bower provided me with some invaluable assistance - enough to get me going. The site is impossible to access right now. Things should get better in the a week or so. In the meantime, I will learn to use this wonderful toy.

Must apologize---stupidity on my part!

OK so its another nail in my coffin---or my mind. When you guys were talking about the game "guitar hero" and "tom tom" I honestly thought you were talking about games. Last night a buddy of mine showed me his new TOM TOM-4.3" GPS. Needless to say I must have given you all a good laugh. Now Diane wants one---but I am not sure it is compatible with my Commadore 64

I never laughed, although I must confess to a bit of confusion as to the ensemble comment.

My TomTom is working wonderfully. It does not take too long to get familiar with it. If you buy one for Diane, she'll never see it as it will become your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    OK so its another nail in my coffin---or my mind. When you guys were talking about the game "guitar hero" and "tom tom" I honestly thought you were talking about games. Last night a buddy of mine showed me his new TOM TOM-4.3" GPS. Needless to say I must have given you all a good laugh. Now Diane wants one---but I am not sure it is compatible with my Commadore 64

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Does this mean we can have a complete "ensemble" at the forum day?
    I was wondering what you meant.

My hubby is enjoying his too Mike. It is taking us on some weird routes though. Doesn't seem to be fond of using the 416 much. We asked it to take us to Bayshore and we ignored it pretty much the whole way. It was getting pretty confused, switching routes all the time, we half expected it to blow its top.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    My hubby is enjoying his too Mike. It is taking us on some weird routes though. Doesn't seem to be fond of using the 416 much. We asked it to take us to Bayshore and we ignored it pretty much the whole way. It was getting pretty confused, switching routes all the time, we half expected it to blow its top.
    Just wait until it does this to you in a city you are not familiar with, or out in the country somewhere. I have a garmin and it has taken me the wrong way more than once. When I first got it my route should have been straight down the 417, but as I was going down 417 it kept telling me to take some exit, and you could see it was going to put you right back onto the 417 shortly afterward. Most of these gps units seem to think that the best way is the shortest, even though that is often not the case. And I have mine set to prefer highways, and it still does this.

Thanks Mike---little Brit was right---I thought you were talking Tom Tom Drums

You should become familiar with asking the device to calculate an alternate route. This can come in handy. For example, when I asked it to configure a route to my office it took me down the 417, a slowway that I try to avoid taking. The alternate route took me along the River Parkway, a much more acceptable way to go.

In my short lived experience with the TomTom, I have been impressed with its data bank and its general accuracy. One thing is certain: it won't get me lost as much as I would do so left to my own devices.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post

I will tell him Mike. I have had hands off so far Thanks.

Thread Information