CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I thought you'd like that.
    After looking at the rules for amateur status it appears the that governing bodies of golf would recognize scrambles and KB’s match play format as a tournament, a competition or an exhibition, and thus have some say in what prizes can be accepted.
    ”An amateur golfer must not play golf for prize money or its equivalent in a match, competition or exhibition."

An amateur golfer is one plays the game for neither profit nor remuneration, AND who does not receive remuneration because of his “golf skill and reputation.” “Golf skill and reputation” means that the player has had competitive success at the local or competes at the national level. Could this be interpreted/twisted as meaning that an amateur golfer must have been successful locally or competed in RCGA sanctioned events?? If this were true, then most forum members would be NOT be amateur golfers and then be eligible to receive prizes whose value exceeds $1000.

Are all of us here who are members of golf clubs or public player programmes that are dues playing members of the RCGA, amateur golfers? Those that are not and probably the majority would be non-amateurs and be able to accept any prize, merchandise or cash.

Tis a good thing the ruling bodies don't visit all the clubs who have scrambles and the like, in the fall, where cash is given out as prizes. They used to.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    I hear where your coming from now BC , while we're living in fantasy land tho i still think ya should be able to add the 8 holes

Just to keep you on ya toes tho , where did your figure of $1000 come from ?

Hey , lets get really out there and try this senerio
    Player A and B have agreed to brave atrocious weather ,and are only 2 of a few mad twits on the course

Player A starts really well , winning the first four holes
    Player B is having all sorts of issues with the conditions ,wet hands are causing his grip to slip in his hand , he isnt getting away with the steep angle of attack into the ball , the ground isnt making his driver bounce back up into the ball anymore , rather the club is digging into the soft ground and under the ball skying it higher than a weather balloon , left and right into the rough
    He panics , and in his stressed state has a brainstorm - rule 25-2 ....he has free relief from a plugged ball ....he states his intentions to player A , who is fairly sure its only on closely mown areas thru the green , but B is pretty sure its on the local rules board and takes the relief
    Player A is pretty sure tho , and seeing as nobody is around who can clarify it , makes a claim on the hole
    Its playing on A's mind , and over the next 8 holes he's so distracted he manages to bomb out something shocking , losing every one ....
    B has taken the relief on every one of the holes , and naturally A has claimed each time , if only to try to keep himself sane

on the 14th hole its brought to A's attention that B has been breaching the 15 club rule , and the 3 COC's , A is over the moon , B will be stripped of 8 holes when this hole is over , WOOHOO
    A is on a high , and sees it as a chance to get back into the match, he gets to the green , and chips in for a great par
    B isnt fazed by the impending loss of 8 holes , he's putting like a demon , slamming them in from anywhere on the green ,BOOM , a 45 footer for half , PHEW! he's sure he can still win from here
    A thinks its a good time to rub salt into the would , and claims the hole then
    says to B " right , you say your 9/4 ? with 8 holes penalised , makes me 4/1 up "
    B grunts , and says " yeah whatever , I'm still gunna kick your butt"

The next 4 holes go exactly as B had planned , he wins all 4 holes , taking the match 5/4 ...... what an awesome display of putting , shame about the driver tho , lucky about that local rule

Entering the clubhouse , player A approaches the match committee , stating the match ended on the 18th hole , with player 5/4 up , BUT I've claimed holes 5 thru 18
    OMG #$%@ why , what how ?
    Well B thinks he gets relief from a plugged ball in the rough , and took relief on every one of those holes
    "oh heck , he cant do that , he lost all those holes "

So what did A win by ?

" I know we can come to the same result without the 8 penalties but it sounds good huh lol "

Does the committee under the rules , go back to the 5th hole , give it to A , then the 6th , 7th , 8th until A wins 10/8
    Or do they quote someone famous who once said "A match is either won, lost or tied and the "score" does not matter" and to hasten their return to the serious drinkies they were so rudely interupted from , simply call it 18/0 to player A

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Does the committee under the rules , go back to the 5th hole , give it to A , then the 6th , 7th , 8th until A wins 10/8
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    I hear where your coming from now BC , while we're living in fantasy land tho i still think ya should be able to add the 8 holes

Just to keep you on ya toes tho , where did your figure of $1000 come from ?

Or do they quote someone famous who once said "A match is either won, lost or tied and the "score" does not matter" and to hasten their return to the serious drinkies they were so rudely interupted from , simply call it 18/0 to player A
    Facts:
    -A wins 1 - 4 A is 4 up & 14 to play.
    -B wins next 9 holes, 5 - 13, B is 5 up & 5 to play, A has made 9 separate claims.
    -#14 is tied. B wins 5 up & 4 to play, but B has broken 4 rules and loses 8 holes. A is now 3 up with 4 to play.
    -B wins 15 to 18. Match is over B wins 1 up, but A has made 9 claims.
    -Claims upheld so back we go to #5. A wins 5 to 10 because B has played from wrong places 20-7/b and loses 5 to 13.

A wins match 10 & 8. The claim penalties are added on ONE AT A TIME because they happened on consecutive holes. B's later infractions don't matter now as the match was over before the applicable penalties could be applied.

This my take on this, the longest Decision in the history of the rules.

The $1000 limit comes from the Rules of Amateur Status

3-2. Prize Limits
    An amateur golfer must not:
    a. General
    Accept a prize (other than a symbolic prize) or prize voucher of a retail value greater than $1,000. This limit applies to the total prizes or prize vouchers received in any one competition or series of competitions.

Says 500 pounds in my book , which highlights the fact you didnt state which currency

Down under , its more like $1500 .....

The various 'Governing Bodies' (ie the National Unions set the value) subject to an upper limit of £500 (or equivalent) in the R&A areas (set at $1000 in Canada) and US$750 in the USGA areas

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    That needs changing now that the Canadian $ is worth more than the US $
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

It is odd that US of all places haven't increased their prize limit. £500 is aprrox US$1000

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    Says 500 pounds in my book , which highlights the fact you didnt state which currency
    Which highlights the fact that you never told us where you were from. Some think I'm from British Columbia, (BC) when I'm from Carp. Pronounced Carep.

If you are from New Zealand then $1000 Canadian equals $1298.63 NZ dollars.

Im pleased you didnt accuse me of being a bleeden aussie lol .

worth asking the question tho , for the benifit of others

Thread Information