100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Ummm.... don't they all leave their courtesy cars at the airport when they leave? How else do they get to the airport?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Ummm.... don't they all leave their courtesy cars at the airport when they leave? How else do they get to the airport?
    Maybe they assumed Rory would actually stick around for all four rounds?
    I don't know what the protocol for returning a courtesy car is, and apparently neither does Rory, or more likely, he just doesn't care:

'Tournament director Greg McLaughlin wasn't informed until 8:30 a.m., although he had a hunch Sabbatini was leaving when he was checking out of the hotel and overheard the concierge trying unsuccessfully to book Sabbatini a limo for eight to get to the airport.

"We're disappointed that he withdrew," McLaughlin said. "It's the first time in the history of the event that we've ever had a professional not complete four rounds of competition."

By Sunday afternoon, McLaughlin still could not locate Sabbatini's courtesy car. Paul Casey said he saw the South African loading up the car in the hotel parking lot.'

I hope Rory enjoyed wearing the Nike logo while he had the chance, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop him in the near future.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Nike drop him????? FOR WHAT?????????????

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Perhaps for being an arse.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    yes what he did was wrong BUT if making an ass of himself while his FC (crane) was 2 shots off the head was probably the dumbest thing he has ever done. To cause a distraction like that when your FC is in the hunt... brutal
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Perhaps for being an arse.
    Do you think all the golfers on tour are perfect gentlemen?

He didn't do anything wrong as per the rules of the game.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Because Tiger could call Phil Knight and say "Phil, this swoosh ain't big enough for both of us."
    Rory would be swooshless in a heartbeat.

So it wouldn't be a justified dismissal. Someone would pick him up in a heartbeat and give him just as much money. Rory gets face time, and that's what sponsors like. Sign him up with Omega and Taylor Made. Go get him Rory!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    He has a contact... I'm sure he would be more than happy with them dropping him and still getting paid.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

I'm not naive enough to believe that they are all perfect gentlemen. To the contrary, I've seen more than a few whose strength of character waivers from the straight and true. We aren't talking about these other golfers, though. We're chatting about Mr. Sabbatini.

You're right about one thing. Not being a gentleman doesn't seem to necessarily affect contract endorsements. A quick look around the NBA is proof enough of that. However, golf advertisers market to a different audience. If the advertiser decides that Rory is not helping their sales, then he'll be history. But that's no different than how they'd treat anyone else on their payroll, who wasn't worth the money they were paying him or her.

Do you think all the golfers on tour are perfect gentlemen?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    He has a contact... I'm sure he would be more than happy with them dropping him and still getting paid.
    No doubt he would be happy to be paid for a contract he doesn't have to honour. Same way he is probably happy about being paid for a tournament he didn't have to finish.

So it wouldn't be a justified dismissal.
    Doesn't matter if it's justified or not, it's the law of The Tiger. In fact, having given it further thought, Tiger wouldn't even need to say anythng, he would just call Phil Knight and stare down the phone with his icy-cold Tiger-stare. Knight would get the message without Tiger saying a word.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    True, the media is all over this because it's Tigers tournament, but the prevailing speculation is that's also why Sabbatini pulled out.
    I think this is the point I was trying to make a while back... we don't really know Rory's side of it, so we choose to demonize him because of his past - a past with which many here of this board applaud (someone who's not afraid to speak his mind and someone who doesn't tolerate slow play.)
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    ...making an ass of himself while his FC (crane) was 2 shots off the head was probably the dumbest thing he has ever done. To cause a distraction like that when your FC is in the hunt... brutal
    Absolutely.
    For those who forget, Rory actually stood directly behind the flagstick so he was in Crane's sightline for his approach shot. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Crane, (a painfully slow player for sure) had to take a drop on that same hole causing further delay.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I think this is the point I was trying to make a while back... we don't really know Rory's side of it...
    Agreed, this stuff is media fodder right off the bat.
    If Rory has any sort defense for his actions hopefully we hear about it, but right now he just looks like a immature boor.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    If Rory has any sort defense for his actions hopefully we hear about it, but right now he just looks like a immature boor.
    Gets my vote in the 'threadies' for best pun of the year on OG.

Because Tiger could call Phil Knight and say "Phil, this swoosh ain't big enough for both of us."
    Rory would be swooshless in a heartbeat.
    Faldo intimated during last nights broadcast that Sabbatini was 'quietly' dropped by Nike, but didn't come right out and say what transpired.
    I checked the Nike Golf Athletes page and Sabbatini is no longer listed there but I can't find any stories to verify it.

http://www.nike.com/nikegolf/index.htm

Maybe Rory learned his lesson, but it's doubtful.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Faldo intimated during last nights broadcast that Sabbatini was 'quietly' dropped by Nike, but didn't come right out and say what transpired.
    I checked the Nike Golf Athletes page and Sabbatini is no longer listed there but I can't find any stories to verify it.

http://www.nike.com/nikegolf/index.htm

Maybe Rory learned his lesson, but it's doubtful.
    What lesson would that be? That all must bow down before Tiger? That the only player that matters in golf these days is Tiger?

What a crock. Good for Rory for not being a puppet. I hope he turns around, finds a richer endorsement, and wins himself a few tournaments this year, all while ruffling as many feathers as possible along the way.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    How is it a matter of bowing down before tiger? This guy constantly gets negative press and is a jerk on the course to other players. Why wouldn't Nike drop him?

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    What lesson would that be?
    Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Tiger giveth, Tiger taketh away.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    How is it a matter of bowing down before tiger? This guy constantly gets negative press and is a jerk on the course to other players. Why wouldn't Nike drop him?
    Oh ya, because Nike's athletes are all models of professionalism and decorum. If Nike did indeed drop him over this incident, then it would be purely as a result of pissing off Tiger. It is not about his 'bad behaviour,' it is simply about pissing off their biggest endorsement.

Driver overswing is on a distinguished road overswing's Avatar
    Oh ya, because Nike's athletes are all models of professionalism and decorum. If Nike did indeed drop him over this incident, then it would be purely as a result of pissing off Tiger. It is not about his 'bad behaviour,' it is simply about pissing off their biggest endorsement.
    It really isn't.... Nike dropped him because of all the bad press surrounding him, due to his poor behviour. The negative press surrounding Rory isn't gonna make Nike look too good since he's all decked out in their gear. It all about money. Nike dropping him was completely justified, since it makes their company look bad, which in turn could lead to losing money.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I don't think Tiger had anything to do with it but I would bet a shekle or two that he was made aware of it before it happened
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

OH, come on. Regardless of whether or not Tiger specifically asked them to do it, this move was made to keep the big guy happy. This latest 'mishap' was minor, minor stuff. I doubt if that many people have even heard about it outside the land of golf fanatics. It's pretty clear to me that, with the timing of this move, this is all about keeping Tiger happy.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    OH, come on. Regardless of whether or not Tiger specifically asked them to do it, this move was made to keep the big guy happy. This latest 'mishap' was minor, minor stuff. I doubt if that many people have even heard about it outside the land of golf fanatics. It's pretty clear to me that, with the timing of this move, this is all about keeping Tiger happy.
    Tiger is the biggest Super Star that the golf world has ever seen and he has pretty much single-handedly made the Nike Golf brand..........wouldn't you want to keep him happy?!?

I'm not questioning Nike's decision. I'm just saying, good for Rory for having balls and not being a sheep.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I'm not disputing that Jon, I do believe it was partially because of Tiger (although we will never really know). Rory marches to the beat of his own drummer and although I like the guy, I can see why his sponsors would be leery of his actions. He is right about the causes he just goes about addressing them in the wrong way. He is definitely anti-establishment which does not bode well in the land of the golf purists and multi-national corporations who put up the $$$$
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'm not questioning Nike's decision. I'm just saying, good for Rory for having balls and not being a sheep.
    Interesting.......you consider it having balls - I consider it being overly arrogant and not being able to control his anger or his mouth

On January 4th, Adams Golf announced that Sabatini had signed with them. Rumours of that possibility had apparently been circulating for more than a month. All of which suggests to me that Rory had already decided to leave Nike before walking out on Tiger's tournament. It is therefore unlikely that Rory's clumsy exit from Tiger's tournament decided the issue.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Rory's deal with Nike was up at the end of 2007. From what I've read and heard (take that for what it's worth), he was not offered another contract. His tweaking of Tiger I'm sure was an issue for Nike from a pure business perspective, irregardless of how Tiger felt about it. It doesn't really make sense to have a mid-level employee type out denigrating a company's star asset.

Funny thing - there was an article about Rory in Golf Digest a month ago that almost seemed like damage control (this came out before his hasty Target Golf exit) talking about his bouncer-like swagger, getting props from Davis Love, and the whole thing seemed somewhat contrived.
    Rory certainly brings a different element to the game, and that will always garner him attention be it good or bad, but let's face it, the Cheeze Whiz in your cupboard will have a longer shelf life than Rory.

Thread Information