+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    As to who he informed and how, who cares?

I don't see how the press would fail to mention if he had donated his share of the purse (even minus his expences). I am sure he would have recieved a lot less critisizm had he done so. If he were to do that now he'd recieve acknowlegement for doing the right thing after the fact.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    As to who he informed and how, who cares?

I don't see how the press would fail to mention if he had donated his share of the purse (even minus his expenses). I am sure he would have recieved a lot less critisizm had he done so. If he were to do that now he'd recieve acknowlegement for doing the right thing after the fact.
    The originator of this story certainly seems to care in this instance, but why?

Primarily, they care because of a growing negative preception of Rory - rightly or wrongly.

This perception has been perpetuated by the media - framed by Rory's apparent rocky relationship with fellow players. To cite just two examples, Rory "dissing" the state of Tiger game and Rory 'playing ahead' of Ben Crane and his unapologetic stance thereafter.

Therefore, Rory's allegedly abrupt withdrawl from Tiger's event becomes a immediate headline, even if it so happened that Rory personally delivered the news of his injury to Tiger and apologized to him for having to withdraw. There is a story that of course, would have no legs, because it does nothing to further the Rory as bad-boy theme.

I am not saying that the originator of this story is writing lies. Far from it. What I am saying however is that the originator of this story may have come at this subject with a perception of the subject that was tainted by history.

As for the truth, it probably lies somewhere in between.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Rory 'playing ahead' of Ben Crane and his unapologetic stance thereafter.
    LOL

I and many others (including some press) thought that Rory's actions in that case were justified after being put on the clock due to Ben Crane's slow play. I thought he made a bold statement that was appreciated by all the proponents of "ready golf".

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    LOL

I and many others (including some press) thought that Rory's actions in that case were justified after being put on the clock due to Ben Crane's slow play. I thought he made a bold statement that was appreciated by all the proponents of "ready golf".

I thought it was great when Rory walked ahead of Ben "THE HUMAN RAIN DELAY" Crane. Finally someone had the guts to stand up for himself after being put on the clock due to his playing partners actions.

Is it the fact that people hate Rory or think Tiger is the greatest thing since sliced bread in a bag?

Come on folks, you know how much the media can blow things out of proportion. I am not saying what Rory did was right. If he was hurting then why bother finishing? That does not make him a villain. He was not the first guy to WD this year.

Should he have donated the prize money? Would you? It is easy for everyone to say "He should have donated the prize money back to Tiger's Foundation" But you are not in his shoes. Maybe he will donate it to another charity of his choice? Maybe not. If he doesn't that is his decision.

I read an interview with Rory and I must say I think the guy is OK. Sure he does things differently than the average cookie cutter clone PGA tour member. Does that make him an idiot? Does that make him a bad guy? OK so he trash talked Tiger then got his butt kicked. Did anyone hear him whining about having his butt kicked all over the course afterwords? Seems to me he took it like a man and that was that.

People hated FAT JACK when he came along and knocked THE KING off his throne. Was Jack a bad person? Not in my eyes. Those two were not the best of friends during Jack's early playing career.

I really find it hard to fathom how someone can "HATE" a person they have never met.
    (OK The LEAFS are an exception )

I bet the Woods' and the Sabbatini's secretly get together for BBQ's down there in Florida! Phil, Amy and the kids join them too Mark O'Meara and his wife are there also, along with Stricks, John Cook and Vijay!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I thought it was great when Rory walked ahead of Ben "THE HUMAN RAIN DELAY" Crane. Finally someone had the guts to stand up for himself after being put on the clock due to his playing partners actions. Rory's actions here showed a blatant disregard of the traditions of the game and were nothing short of insulting to his FC - how you can defend this in any way is totally beyond me

Should he have donated the prize money? YES without a doubt

I read an interview with Rory and I must say I think the guy is OK. Yet above you say "Come on folks, you know how much the media can blow things out of proportion." Which is it??
    I responded to some of your comments and questions above in Blue.

Rick - have you ever heard the saying about how it is impossible to defend the defenseless??

I'm sorry, but IMO Rory is defenseless on this one my friend

Rory's actions here showed a blatant disregard of the traditions of the game and were nothing short of insulting to his FC
    So are you saying Rory should just take the potential penalties assed to him because of Cranes slow play in stride?

Isn't causing another player to be penalized for your actions a blatant disregard of the traditions of the game and were nothing short of insulting to his FC? Of course it is. Crane was being selfish, playing at a snails pace without regard for his FC. Rory answered by making a statement. A loud and clear one!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Announce you are pulling out, thank Tiger for hosting a great tournament, and donate your winnings to charity.
    How do we know for sure that he didn't do this? Just because the media didn't report it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    To begin with I would find it very hard to believe that players like Couples, Calc, and Tiger would be questioning his actions if he had announced he is pulling out due to injury. If he had donated his take to charity you can be sure his agent would let the media know.
    What the media did pick up on though was the fact that he left his courtesy car at the airport and told nobody. A further display of his lack of class much like his actions when he played with Ben Crane. If a kid playing junior golf pulled this stunt he or she would be scolded for being a poor sport. The again, maybe Rory should be playing junior golf since he displays the mentality and emotional control of a five year old.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    So are you saying Rory should just take the potential penalties assed to him because of Cranes slow play in stride?

Isn't causing another player to be penalized for your actions a blatant disregard of the traditions of the game and were nothing short of insulting to his FC? Of course it is. Crane was being selfish, playing at a snails pace without regard for his FC. Rory answered by making a statement. A loud and clear one!
    I hate slow play as much as anyone else, but I'm a bit unclear on how the rules are enforced. I thought that once a group was on the 'clock', that means the rules officials are timing the players individually and that they have a specified amount of time to make each shot. I didn't think a penalty was enforced on the 'group', just a player with a bad time. So as long as Rory played in time, he wouldn't be penalized? Like I said though, I'm a bit fuzzy on this and may be (probably ) wrong. Also, I wonder if in that instance Rory didn't break 6-3b.

In stroke play, the competitor must remain throughout the round in the group arranged by the Committee unless the Committee authorizes or ratifies a change.
    Penalty for Breach of Rule 6-3:
    Disqualification.

I always thought the group would be penalized. Perhaps I am mistaken.

I don't think Rory would be guilty of leaving the group. He just went to the next tee before Crane putted out.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    To begin with I would find it very hard to believe that players like Couples, Calc, and Tiger would be questioning his actions if he had announced he is pulling out due to injury. If he had donated his take to charity you can be sure his agent would let the media know.
    What the media did pick up on though was the fact that he left his courtesy car at the airport and told nobody. A further display of his lack of class much like his actions when he played with Ben Crane. If a kid playing junior golf pulled this stunt he or she would be scolded for being a poor sport. The again, maybe Rory should be playing junior golf since he displays the mentality and emotional control of a five year old.
    You may find it hard to believe, but you don't know for a fact. For some reason I don't think we know the whole story here. I'm just giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Dan - groups are put on the clock all of the time........I don't ever recall someone reacting in the manner that Rory did - the guy is a classless punk IMO and his continual actions more than support my opinion

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    You may find it hard to believe, but you don't know for a fact. For some reason I don't think we know the whole story here. I'm just giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.
    You're right, I don't know this as a fact. Since I wasn't there I need to rely on numerous media sources for my information the same way I do for news about what is happening all over the world. I can choose to believe, or not to believe what I am reading depending on the source and the plausibilty of the story.

In this case, due to the sheer number of reports, the quoted reactions of the other players, and Rory's past actions I choose to believe he made another poor decision when he packed up and left the tournament as reported.
    I checked Rory's website, he is thusfar mum on the topic, and I expect him to remain that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Dan - groups are put on the clock all of the time........I don't ever recall someone reacting in the manner that Rory did - the guy is a classless punk IMO and his continual actions more than support my opinion
    I don't disagree overall, but that is one incident I am more on Rory's side since I also find slow play intolerable. If nobody sends a message...

It's not like he stepped on him with a skate.

but that is one incident I am more on Rory's side since I also find slow play intolerable.
    So if your child was playing junior golf and was paired with an FC who was painfully slow you would encourage your child to stomp off the green and go to the next hole in order to make a 'loud and clear' statement?

Please don't put words in my mouth or paint it into something it's not. I do not want to argue about it.

I also find slow play intolerable. If nobody sends a message...

It's not like he stepped on him with a skate.
    I think we are in about 90% agreement here.....I'd just prefer to see the PGA Tour and its officials sending the appropriate message as opposed to the players taking things into their own hands

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    More to the point, no one every questioned Freddie's class and character.
    As a younger person I once thought Bobby Orr was class and character until I watched him try to decapitate Wayne Maki as he left the ice during the infamous Ted Green incident at the Civic Centre. Similarly, during two Skins Games, both I believe in Canada, Freddie had no difficulty dropping the "F" word, knowing full well that he was miked. Hardly an example of class and character at those times. Maybe it was from Freddie that Tiger's language skills were developed.

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    Though I am certainly no expert on golf etiquette, and I don't follow golf news very closely, here's my (uninformed and possibly naive) opinion:

As to the Ben Crane thing; seems to me that once your FC has been officially declared to be playing too slowly (i.e. put on the clock), there's no reason to wait around for any more than a reasonable amount of time. So walking to the next tee box, in itself is no big deal. Now, if he stomped off like a petulant child, or held his breath till Crane showed up at the next hole, or had his wife draw negative attention to the incident or his FC after the fact, then that would be bad form...

As for the latest 'episode', bailing like he did isbad form. If one is not well enough to finish out the tournament, that's fine. But you've made a commitment, and you're getting paid, so you at least stick around till it's over. There could (in theory) be fans who are there just to see you, and you owe them more than just disappearing. You also owe something to the tournament and to the charity. Any player simply disappearing from such a limited field is bound to be noticed, and to bring bad press to a good tournament and good cause. If his 'shin splints' were sooooo very bad, he should have gone straight to a hospital. The only other reasonable excuse for bailing like that would be a personal emergency (like a sick loved one or somesuch).
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddlydidly View Post
    or had his wife draw negative attention to the incident or his FC after the fact, then that would be bad form...
    you mean like this? :

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    Exactly like that.
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Hacker...tradition is not inherently good. People have to realize that. Tradition can be great, but sometimes change can be better. So, just because Rory was breaking with tradition by playing ahead, does not necessarily mean it was the wrong thing to do. Sometimes traditions need changing, and golf is no exception.

And this is coming from a history student, so understand how difficult it is for me to say that tradition isn't inherently good.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Hacker...tradition is not inherently good. People have to realize that. Tradition can be great, but sometimes change can be better. So, just because Rory was breaking with tradition by playing ahead, does not necessarily mean it was the wrong thing to do. Sometimes traditions need changing, and golf is no exception.

And this is coming from a history student, so understand how difficult it is for me to say that tradition isn't inherently good.
    Ah...........that explains a LOT

J/K Jon

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Jon, you are way to smart to be a history student!! Become a laywer so you can become a sports agent
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Yes, he may have occasionally used a colourful phrase or two, but - at least for me - it does not detract from all his other good qualities. I saw him play in the PEI Skins Game when Mike Weir made his debut. Freddie could not have been more gracious to his fellow competitors and to the fans. So while his language may be off-putting for some, I regard it as a minor flaw for one whose conduct on and off the course should otherwise be emulated.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    As a younger person I once thought Bobby Orr was class and character until I watched him try to decapitate Wayne Maki as he left the ice during the infamous Ted Green incident at the Civic Centre. Similarly, during two Skins Games, both I believe in Canada, Freddie had no difficulty dropping the "F" word, knowing full well that he was miked. Hardly an example of class and character at those times. Maybe it was from Freddie that Tiger's language skills were developed.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Yes, he may have occasionally used a colourful phrase or two, but - at least for me - it does not detract from all his other good qualities. I saw him play in the PEI Skins Game when Mike Weir made his debut. Freddie could not have been more gracious to his fellow competitors and to the fans. So while his language may be off-putting for some, I regard it as a minor flaw for one whose conduct on and off the course should otherwise be emulated.
    And yet Tiger is vilified as a terrible person when he curses...interesting...

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    I always thought the group would be penalized. Perhaps I am mistaken.

I don't think Rory would be guilty of leaving the group. He just went to the next tee before Crane putted out.
    No, Rory stomped all the way up to the green, waited beside the green while Crane hit from 200 yards, then chipped onto the green, and putted out (while Crane was away)...then he stomped over to the 18th tee.

The entire group is NOT penalized. The players are informed that their group is on the clock, and BASICALLY (and there are exceptions) the player has 40 seconds to hit their shot after getting yardage/cleaning ball, etc. If they exceed the 40 seconds, they are deemed to have gotten a "bad time."

Interestingly, the rules officials are given the perogative to put players on the clock INDIVIDUALLY, so Rory never really needed to be on the clock because everyone knows he wouldn't hold anyone up. Crane should have been individually timed.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I hope Rory gets a deal from a watch company out of this, it would be priceless! I find the reaction to this a little extreme. Who cares if he moved ahead? Crane was the jack arse in this case, Rory just reacted to it. And find me a pro that hasn't WD from a tournament, and I'll eat my hat. They have the right to WD, who cares what the reason is. The only reason this is news is because it was the all mighty Tiger's tournament, ooooooohhhhhhhhhh.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I hope Rory gets a deal from a watch company out of this, it would be priceless! I find the reaction to this a little extreme. Who cares if he moved ahead? Crane was the jack arse in this case, Rory just reacted to it. And find me a pro that hasn't WD from a tournament, and I'll eat my hat. They have the right to WD, who cares what the reason is. The only reason this is news is because it was the all mighty Tiger's tournament, ooooooohhhhhhhhhh.
    Right on...... .....
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I bet if this had been Phil's or Vijay's tournament no one would have said squat about Rory pulling out.
    We all know Tiger is not on Rory's Christmas Card list and vice versa.

WHO CARES???????
    Do we need a poll?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

The only reason this is news is because it was the all mighty Tiger's tournament, ooooooohhhhhhhhhh.
    True, the media is all over this because it's Tigers tournament, but the prevailing speculation is that's also why Sabbatini pulled out. It's just another opportunity to thumb his nose at Tiger.
    The idea of leaving, not telling anyone, and then ditching your courtesy car at the airport burns people - it's just poor form. What really got my attention though was the other players (such as Couples) reaction to 'shin splint-gate' - I've never heard Freddie lambaste another player in that way.
    Like it or not Tiger has increased the earnings of all PGA players exponentially, including Rory, who seems to be making a concerted effort to assume the role of the 'villain/bad boy' of the PGA. Problem is Rory can't get it done with his clubs so he needs to look for other methods.

(wow, 59 posts and not even one mention of Rory's ears. oops )

Thread Information