CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    to be clear, i am not making excuses, not at all, but the point to be made is the precedent has been set for violations, and this is nt one of the worst that has occured. is this a bad thing to do, of course, should he be punished, again of course, but the league has made a mockery of punishments when they give soem player ( liek downie) so many games for a hit that was bad, but not to the point of being premeditatd and such, while other are slapped on the wrist and let back to play, all based on their status as a league player.

the nhl needs to set in stone its punishments of reach type of hit, and stick to it regardless of whether you are a new player or a 20 year veteren.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nhwott5 View Post
    to be clear, i am not making excuses, not at all, but the point to be made is the precedent has been set for violations, and this is nt one of the worst that has occured. is this a bad thing to do, of course, should he be punished, again of course, but the league has made a mockery of punishments when they give soem player ( liek downie) so many games for a hit that was bad, but not to the point of being premeditatd and such, while other are slapped on the wrist and let back to play, all based on their status as a league player.

the nhl needs to set in stone its punishments of reach type of hit, and stick to it regardless of whether you are a new player or a 20 year veteren.

I agree with punishments being administered the same for fringe players and the Stars.... lets hope that starts today because there is no place in the game for this crap.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The thing to remember here is that this is unprecedented (at least in recent memory). Although I agree that they need to be more consistent, there isn't really any standard out there to measure this by.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I didn't mean to say anyone agreed with the idiotic behavior---I just hope this is brought under control soon
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Your exactly right Jonf---the question still remains---where is this going to end?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I'm sorry fellas--you can make all the excuses you want--you can analyse the before and after play all you want-----but if a human being can't curb his temper and has to resort to using a foriegn object to harm someone or maim him---out he goes---what the hell is it going to take? Do we have to see someone actually get killed on prime-time before this is settled
    I am certain we are going to see someone get killed from a hit from behind head-first into the boards, or a swing to the head with a stick much sooner than a guy who is stepping on another guys ankle. Once again the blade is not going to penetrate the skate..............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    A sharp steel blade is as bad, if not worse than a stick. BOTH can do serious damage andd should not be allowed in the game.
    would be a pretty boring game without skates and sticks....

This is BRUTAL...he should never play again. Stomping on someone with your skate anywhere is not acceptable. IMO.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

2 inches higher and he slices into his leg, his tendons, his muscle....possibly cripples the guy for life. Just because he hit protective gear doesn't make the infraction any better. If Mcsorley had hit Brasher's helmet instead of the side of his face, would that really have made his infraction any better?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    2 inches higher and he slices into his leg, his tendons, his muscle....
    Does anyone know if Simon is wearing those new heated blades??

If he is, the heat would have cauterized all wounds immediately minimizing the damage....maybe Simon knew this

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    2 inches higher and he slices into his leg, his tendons, his muscle....possibly cripples the guy for life. Just because he hit protective gear doesn't make the infraction any better. If Mcsorley had hit Brasher's helmet instead of the side of his face, would that really have made his infraction any better?
    I really hope that they throw the book at the guy... i really think it he gets the rest of the year, he will be getting off easily. The guy has proven 7 times that he has no regard for the rules of the game, nevermind no regard for his fellow players AT ALL! He is obviously not learning from them trying to discipline him, and now not only has he used his stick as a weapon, but also a sharp skate blade! This was not in the heat of the battle either, Ruutu was standing by the bench and Simon was nowhere near until he skated over to the boards... he trips him up and then steps on his foot, not accidentaly.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    He got 25 games for his crosscheck to the face last time - this things deserves at least 15 games IMO. Blatant attempt to injure

What Will VChris Simon Get?

So, yesterday the owner of the Islanders 'asked' Simon to take an extended leave of absence from the team to seek out 'help' with his personal problems. Today, he has a hearing with Colin Campbell to explain his side of the story.

What do you think he gets?

I say the minimum is that he will not play again this season.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    So, yesterday the owner of the Islanders 'asked' Simon to take an extended leave of absence from the team to seek out 'help' with his personal problems...
    What do you think he gets?
    I think this preemptive strike by the team is too little too late and he has played his last game in the NHL. Anyone involved in hockey knows Simon has had his share of problems for a long time and this sort of counselling could have, and should have, been done years ago. Regardless of the length of the suspension (I'm guessing the balance of the regular season) this will end Simon's career.
    It's also a good opportunity to rethink the instigator rule so cowards like Ruutu can't run around like idiots.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Simon had his meeting with NHL brass today and they decided to sleep on their decision overnight.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Simon had his meeting with NHL brass today and they decided to sleep on their decision overnight.

The sad thing about Simon is this. When he puts his mind to it he can really be a force to be reckoned with when it comes to scoring. Remember a few years ago he tore it up. I can't recall the points he had that season but he was on a tear for awhile.

Colin Campbell needs to step up to the plate and do the right thing here. No weak knee suspensions.

Someone is going to get killed on the ice. The equipment can only offer so much protection. It is time for all of the players in the game of hockey to start RESPECTING EACH OTHER.

I love a good fight in hockey, and I personally would not want to see it banned. However I hate watching the hits from behind, the slashes, knee to knee, head hits etc. That is not hockey, that is intent to injure.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Colin Campbell needs to step up to the plate and do the right thing here. No weak knee suspensions.
    30 games!! IMO that is a weak kneed suspension. I guess Coli is waiting until someone is killed to really come down hard.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Not enough, agreed. 1 year ban would of sufficed with his track record.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    30 games!! IMO that is a weak kneed suspension. I guess Coli is waiting until someone is killed to really come down hard.
    kind hard to describe it as "weak kneed" if it's the longest in history.

There are people on this board who use the icon too much...

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    kind hard to describe it as "weak kneed" if it's the longest in history.
    Not really. With Simon's track record being kicked out of the league would be more appropriate. Other than bad press this guy brings nothing to the game.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I think what he got was fair... Now if the guy had been seriously hurt i could see a lifetime ban... The min amount of games you can be suspended is the amount of time the guy you hurt is out for. That would be really cool..
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Not really. With Simon's track record being kicked out of the league would be more appropriate. Other than bad press this guy brings nothing to the game.
    i am much more toned down

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    I think what he got was fair... Now if the guy had been seriously hurt i could see a lifetime ban... The min amount of games you can be suspended is the amount of time the guy you hurt is out for. That would be really cool..
    UGH. That is the STUPIDEST basis for suspensions. You don't penalize the friggin result, you penalize the action. That's the only way to actually get rid of it. The NHL usually waits until someone gets hurt to actually suspend someone, which sends the wrong message. The message they send is "do whatever you want, as long as nobody gets a serious injury that will play over and over again on American news stations and bring disrepute to the game."

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Although I thought thats what he would get, its not enough, should have been life.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I think life is a little too much, but I wouldn't hav ebeen surprised, I think the rest of the year woul dhave been the right amount considering his record. Mind you he should have received a full year for th elast one and then this one would have been life. The NHL has created there own demon and now they have to live with it.

30 is a little weak IMO given his history........he should have been gone for the remainder of the season

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I think life is a little too much, but I wouldn't hav ebeen surprised, I think the rest of the year woul dhave been the right amount considering his record. Mind you he should have received a full year for th elast one and then this one would have been life. The NHL has created there own demon and now they have to live with it.
    I am concerned about his long history of stupid needless infractions Denis. This guy needs to be gone from the league. I guess we will have to see what the Islander ownership does when he is ready to return.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I agree, but like most punishments it has to be scaled and the NHL missed the boat by only giving him 25 last time. They should have gievn him a year last time and now out. Now this time they still failed to give him the rest of the year which makes me thin k he will have another chance the next time he does something stupid. The NHL needs to protect the palyers and set an example that this crap is a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I agree, but like most punishments it has to be scaled and the NHL missed the boat by only giving him 25 last time. They should have gievn him a year last time and now out. Now this time they still failed to give him the rest of the year which makes me thin k he will have another chance the next time he does something stupid. The NHL needs to protect the palyers and set an example that this crap is a thing of the past.
    I am hoping that the Islander owner will keep him out for at least the rest of the year but I won't hold out hope of that should they make the playoffs. Players always look behind them when he is on the ice... quite a distraction for the skilled players which wôuld help the Isles

I am hoping that the Islander owner will keep him out for at least the rest of the year but I won't hold out hope of that should they make the playoffs. Players always look behind them when he is on the ice... quite a distraction for the skilled players which wôuld help the Isles
    Only problem with the Isle suspension is that they are paying him.........that isn't very punitive IMO

Thread Information