100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar

Question Best time to buy new clubs?

Hi fellow golf addicts!

This year I re-took up the game after a 4 year absense have become totally hooked, and I want to, at some point buy a new set of clubs.
    My question: what time of year is the best time to buy new clubs, i.e. when are the best money saving sales. I am looking to spend about 300-400 c$ (I have just bought a house so money is tighter at the moment). Obviously i'd like to maximise the quality of the clubs with the money I have available to me.

Also does anyone have any recommendations on a good set to buy for a high handicapper wanting to improve. I have improved from 120+ golf to 105 so far this year but my clubs are near antiques with very small heads (super slim) My golf buddies can't beleive that I can hit the ball as straight as I do with all my irons. I would like to have a bit more control and produce a bit more spin (my approach shots often land on and shoot off the back of the green or fall short).

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andru
    Hank

You've come to the right place.

"Callaway X-14 irons" buy them used on ebay I know you said new but here me out. I've seen some go for under 300 dollars plus 30 bucks shipping. The 2000 model is the one you want.

Check out these. NO they're not mine I'm just illustrating a point.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=18956

It's in a really nice spot. It's just old enough that most people think it's obsolete but it's actually a great iron way ahead of it's time. It will grow well with your game as well. As you get better, the irons will accomodate your improving skills.

Cheers

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Andru.

Buying a nice set of used clubs may be the answer. Those Callaways look like beautiful clubs.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

the best time in Ottawa

Is the first Saturday in February. Chuck Brown's has their big sale. It's a circus, but there are some awesome deals. Prepare to be there for a couple of hours.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I would second the motion that there will be some great deals at the Chuck Brown's sale... particularly on used sticks. Another used club recommendation would have to be Top-Flite Tours. They are excellent clubs and a great deal on the used club market. I've seen sets at Chuckie's for under 100 bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    Is the first Saturday in February. Chuck Brown's has their big sale. It's a circus, but there are some awesome deals. Prepare to be there for a couple of hours.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I agree - Chuck Brown's in Feb. Try looking around now for clubs and get an idea of a few models you would be intereted in. Then in Feb buy at Chuck's for half price. This only works well if you know what you want and have a list of possible candidates because not every model is on sale then. It's especially good if you don't mind buying "new" clubs that are 1 or 2 model years old as I have seen clubs on sale for about a third of their original price and they are brand new, just not the most current model.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Other options are Pro Golf's Balloon sale and T&L's warehouse sale. One thing to look for are models that are being discontinued for new lines. I got my Hogan Apex Plus irons for half price because Spalding was dumping them.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Lob Wedge redneck is on a distinguished road

when to buy

I just bought a "used set" from Chuckie Brown in Aug. I was able to get a good 2nd hand set for $80. for a 3-pw set.

I have found out that there a bit old but have new grips and are in great shape. Don't be afraid to dicker abit. The came down on everything I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1517

I would check them out now if I was looking.

R
    "I'm in the woods so much I can tell you which plants are edible."

Lee Trevino

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Liquidation

Once or twice a year there is a huge golf sale at the Old Talisman Hotel on Carling. Forgive me the new name is not popping up in my mind now. Anyhow it's called The Golf liquidator's sale and usually takes place in December. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 09-19-2003 at 08:47 PM.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Thumbs up Ottawa Golf and Travel Show

Then there's always the Ottawa Golf and Travel Show in march. they usually have all the big names there with demos that you can try out.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

8 Iron RobC is on a distinguished road
    Chuck's in February is great. Combine that with planning to look at clubs that are last year's models. I got a Titleist 975J demo driver for $249 this year, that last year was anywhere from $400 to up to $600. It had one mark on it that is barely visible.

Also consider a drive to Golf Town in Pointe Claire (Boulevard des Sources exit this side of Montreal). They have sales now and likely will all winter. Website to find location is www.golftown.com.

RAM makes pretty good irons (FX series are their better ones) if you are looking to save some money; and the Top Flite Tours are nice too.

Finalement, don't forget to keep an eye on Sports Experts and Sport Chek flyers, as they often have decent irons at "doorcrasher" prices.
    "Successful people appear to have blinders on. They go forward...know exactly what they're going to do...and by God they don't look sideways." - Jack Nicklaus

Thread Information